Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 9th, 2001, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
my dying groom
native

Arrow Favorite passage(s)

Greetings, would you mind telling me your favorite passages from Katatonia-songs?
To encourage I'll list mine in (chrono)logical order:
1. Somewhere in "Gateways of Bereavement" there's this moment when only the drums can be heard, then guitar and bass join with an awesome melody. Simply great.
2. I love Mikael's "Uuuaargh!" at 3:30 in "Brave", this track has such a majestic atmosphere - stunning.
3. "Strained" is one of my favs from TD and Jonas offers a neat vocal performance here. The way he tiredly sighs out the word "beginning" although he doesn't know it (according to the lyrics) is amazing.
4. LFDGD's "The Future of Speech" has this brillant passage with distorted vocals ("A brand new day, it can't get worse...").

Please reply
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 9th, 2001, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
_Transparent_

speaking of the future of speech dont you like the bit in Cold Ways, 'twisting names' whispered. love it. i always play that bit loud
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 9th, 2001, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
my dying groom
native

Oops, I forgot Discouraged Ones
Yeah the whispered 'twisting names' is a cool effect! I also like the almost monotonous chorus of Saw You Drown, very hypnotic.
Old October 9th, 2001, 07:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dismal
Inside the Fall

1. That part in "Deadhouse" where they are playing the whale sounds.

2. "Inside the Fall" - right after when he gets done saying "left me waiting inside the fall" it's kind of silent with guitars.

3. The guitar solo in "Without God".

4. The clean vocals in "Rainroom." (in a lifeless motion you're walking like you're dead.)
Old October 9th, 2001, 11:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Yeah, those whale noises in 'Deadhouse' are fantastic and was the first thing that really made me sit up and notice the band- as strange as that sounds.

I also love the sample from 'The Shining' at the beginning of 'Endtime' on Brave Murder Day. I wrote it out and put it on my wall next to my computer to comfort me in those long nights of thesis writing.
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
_Transparent_

Quote:
Originally posted by requiem
Yeah, those whale noises in 'Deadhouse' are fantastic and was the first thing that really made me sit up and notice the band- as strange as that sounds.

I also love the sample from 'The Shining' at the beginning of 'Endtime' on Brave Murder Day. I wrote it out and put it on my wall next to my computer to comfort me in those long nights of thesis writing.
whats the exact quote?, i remember someone writing it a wile ago, but i forget it and i cant fully make it out on the song, thanks
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
_Transparent_

if you've seen katatonia live, do you think they played DO songs heavier than the album? i could have sworn they made the songs heavier, or maybe im wrong.
Old October 10th, 2001, 05:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dismal
Inside the Fall

Quote:
whats the exact quote?, i remember someone writing it a wile ago, but i forget it and i cant fully make it out on the song, thanks
Because uh, for some people, solitude and isolaton can of itself become a problem.

Not for me.
Old October 10th, 2001, 07:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Quote:
Originally posted by Dismal

Because uh, for some people, solitude and isolaton can of itself become a problem.

Not for me.
Yep, that's it.

The first sentence is spoken by the guy who organises the caretaker position at the particular lodge that Jack Nicholson and his family go to. It's basically a job interview for the caretaker role which lasts all winter and they'll be completely cut off from humanity, except for a simple radio. The reply of, "Not for me" comes from Nicholson who is reassuring the interviewer. If you don't know what happens next then check out the movie by Stanley Kubrik.

I think this quote appears at about 1.30 in 'Endtime' although that's only a guess cause the song's upstairs and I can't be bothered going up to check. It's around 1 to 1.5 minutes anyway.

Check it out, it's awesome.
Old October 10th, 2001, 10:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
_Transparent_

yeah i love that film, haven't seen it in awhile though.oh and by the way im pissed of as i heard Slipknot copy that film in their video to 'spit' bastards!
Old October 10th, 2001, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
my dying groom
native

Thumbs up Kubrick

This man was a genius anyway. His realization of "A Clockwork Orange" still is one of my alltime favorites. I don't think much of "Eyes Wide Shut" though, it lacks some 'magic' moments for me.
Old October 10th, 2001, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Demonspell
cheating the polygraph

One of my favorite passages would be the eerie midsection in Had To Leave. And of course, the instrumental half of This Punishment is stunning...
"There is a concern that the Internet could be used to commit crimes and that advanced encryption could disguise such activity. However, we do not provide the government with phone jacks outside our homes for unlimited wiretaps. Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web?""
-- JOHN ASHCROFT, as a U.S. senator, from his Aug. 12, 1997 op-ed piece in the Washington Times, "Welcoming Big Brother."
Old October 11th, 2001, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Evisceratrix
blah

i love the guitar part and clean vocals at the end of shades of emerald fields.
there are many more parts i love but i dont feel like writing a lot right now.

heheh.

http://mp3.com/nontindoskull
Old October 12th, 2001, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
BillowOfZeal
and I looked up her skirt

I love the part in The Future of Speech about 4:25 into the song to about 4:45. when you hear "a brand new day,it can't get worse, hear myself say, it can't get worse" in the back ground then the music stops and you hear "get worse" then it kicks in hard. just listen, you'll see what i mean, if you don't alkready.
Jay

'fish' could reasonably be spelt 'ghoti' - gh as in trough, o as in women, ti as in station.
Old October 13th, 2001, 10:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Demonspell
cheating the polygraph

Just about all of Murder, and I think the intro of For My Demons is among the best thirty seconds of their career, so simple, yet it brings out so many emotional responses and sets the tone for the entire album...
"There is a concern that the Internet could be used to commit crimes and that advanced encryption could disguise such activity. However, we do not provide the government with phone jacks outside our homes for unlimited wiretaps. Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web?""
-- JOHN ASHCROFT, as a U.S. senator, from his Aug. 12, 1997 op-ed piece in the Washington Times, "Welcoming Big Brother."
Old October 13th, 2001, 12:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
Dismal
Inside the Fall

Ah, found a new one! 1:12 in "At Last". Jonas lets out a "uh!!" sounds super cool
Old October 13th, 2001, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
_Transparent_

Quote:
Originally posted by leadfoot256
I love the part in The Future of Speech about 4:25 into the song to about 4:45. when you hear "a brand new day,it can't get worse, hear myself say, it can't get worse" in the back ground then the music stops and you hear "get worse" then it kicks in hard. just listen, you'll see what i mean, if you don't alkready.
Jay

yeah, thats what made me like that song the most when i first got the album.
Old October 14th, 2001, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Russell
__

Quote:
Originally posted by _Transparent_
yeah, thats what made me like that song the most when i first got the album.
Yeah its a really cool section.....

Editor - UM | News/Reviews/Lives Editor - Zero Tolerance Magazine
My Website | Music, Journalism, Photography
Old October 14th, 2001, 03:08 PM   #19 (permalink)
Aurélie

Mine would be:
1- In Nowhere the guitar at 2:10 and what follows "Everything is real but i'm not here..."
2- "When you said that life can't be what you want and i really want everything"
3- In i am nothing "I pray so often for a change"
4- In black session the passage: "I keep on living in this my only wish..."
5- Brave and more precisely the last "at all"

And so many others of course, either for the lyrics or for great musical moments...