Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
griev0r
Here is Nowhere
 
griev0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,446
Nowhere

I never knew my Brave Murder Day was remastered until Paul Kuhr recently mentioned something about it in his forums. I found myself a copy and so happy I did, BMD sounds SO much better this way!

It comes with 3 bonus songs I've never heard but 'Nowhere' really stands out for me. What a fucking great song.

It's got Mike on vocals I believe but all the drums and guitars sound different than BMD tones. When were these tracks recorded?

Anyways maybe I'm the last to hear about this but any Kata fan should definitely pick this up. BMD sounds 100x better and the extra songs are fantastic!
__________________
griev0r is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
abyss
Member
 
abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: ASTURIAS-SPAIN
Posts: 38
The three extra tracks on the Brave Murder Day peaceville reissue are taken from the EP Sounds Of Decay, that was recorded in 1997 at sunlight studios, and was the last "extreme" metal music recorded by Katatonia.
__________________
abyss is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Coma323
Senior Member
 
Coma323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ledyard, CT
Posts: 876
So, does the BMD w/ Sounds of Decay sound different then the BMD w/ For Funerals to Come?
__________________
Your weapon is guilt...
Coma323 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco
 
Nightmare_Heaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Under a southern sky
Posts: 1,313
I think the Peaceville one w/Sounds of Decay was the first time BMD was properly mastered. Cause it went to the pressing plant unmastered, or something. I haven't heard the original version of the album so I don't know the difference. Oh and Sounds of Decay is one of the best things Katatonia has ever done.

Speaking of Sounds of Decay....when I met Opeth a while ago, Mikael told me (after I profusely fanboyed him over BMD) that there was a "more brutal" version of Sounds of Decay which was recorded, but not released because Anders didn't like it. Could this perhaps be where "Untrue" came from? I dunno about you but I'd love to hear the rest of the "more brutal" version.
Nightmare_Heaven is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Coma323
Senior Member
 
Coma323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ledyard, CT
Posts: 876
It's hard to imagine SoD being more brutal
__________________
Your weapon is guilt...
Coma323 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi
 
MadTinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
So, does the BMD w/ Sounds of Decay sound different then the BMD w/ For Funerals to Come?
Yes, cause the version with For Funerals to Come wasn't mastered at all, like all versions of BMD before the Peaceville release. The new version sounds great, it's also available in mid-price, so I would strongly recommend to buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Heaven View Post
I think the Peaceville one w/Sounds of Decay was the first time BMD was properly mastered. Cause it went to the pressing plant unmastered, or something. I haven't heard the original version of the album so I don't know the difference. Oh and Sounds of Decay is one of the best things Katatonia has ever done.
I never particularly liked Sounds of Decay, it's not bad, but doesn't stand out either i.m.o.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Heaven View Post
Speaking of Sounds of Decay....when I met Opeth a while ago, Mikael told me (after I profusely fanboyed him over BMD) that there was a "more brutal" version of Sounds of Decay which was recorded, but not released because Anders didn't like it. Could this perhaps be where "Untrue" came from? I dunno about you but I'd love to hear the rest of the "more brutal" version.
I think 'Untrue' indeed came from that version. I'd love to hear that recording of SoD.
MadTinus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun
 
requiem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,670
Sounds of Decay is amazing. One of my favourite pieces of music that isn't on an album. Katatonia are the masters of that. 'Nowhere', 'Help Me Disappear', 'Wait Outside', 'Unfurl'.... No other band in the history of music has had so many classic songs!
requiem is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi
 
MadTinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 8,749
For Funerals to Come is the stand-out EP for me.
MadTinus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
ShadowCreator
Senior Member
 
ShadowCreator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
For Funerals to Come is the stand-out EP for me.
For me as well, there is nothing quite like it...Tis Glorious.
__________________
Last.fm
ShadowCreator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Coma323
Senior Member
 
Coma323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ledyard, CT
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
Yes, cause the version with For Funerals to Come wasn't mastered at all, like all versions of BMD before the Peaceville release. The new version sounds great, it's also available in mid-price, so I would strongly recommend to buy it.
Shit, I hate buying things I already have in some other version but I really want to hear this.
__________________
Your weapon is guilt...
Coma323 is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco
 
Nightmare_Heaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Under a southern sky
Posts: 1,313
Its worth it for the whole expanded packaging and stuff really. Not very many re-issues are done that well especially in metal, it doesn't feel cheap or shitty or anything.
Nightmare_Heaven is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi
 
MadTinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 8,749
True and it's nice to have BMD on one disc with Sounds of Decay, the EP that actually 'belongs' with BMD (unlike FFtC), being the only other release with Mikael on vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCreator View Post
For me as well, there is nothing quite like it...Tis Glorious.
Word!
MadTinus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
brownden
Senior Member
 
brownden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chilliwack, B.C.
Posts: 546
I just recently fell in love with my copy of Brave Yester Days again and had myself wondering many things about the Sounds of Decay EP. Perfect timing for this thread!!
__________________
Brown isn't a color, it's a way of life
brownden is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
brownden
Senior Member
 
brownden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chilliwack, B.C.
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
True and it's nice to have BMD on one disc with Sounds of Decay, the EP that actually 'belongs' with BMD (unlike FFtC), being the only other release with Mikael on vocals.Word!
damn I might have to pick this up. SoD is truly amazing I've realized recently (not sure what I didn't hear or notice before). I love the raw sound of BMD though. Other than the convenience of having both on one disc, is the sound quality really that much improved that it's worth a 2nd purchase?
__________________
Brown isn't a color, it's a way of life
brownden is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi
 
MadTinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 8,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownden View Post
damn I might have to pick this up. SoD is truly amazing I've realized recently (not sure what I didn't hear or notice before). I love the raw sound of BMD though. Other than the convenience of having both on one disc, is the sound quality really that much improved that it's worth a 2nd purchase?
I think so, especially in the lower frequencies the sound improved, it sounds more balanced and powerful.
MadTinus is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...
 
OminousInane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 615
SOD is insanely badass, all three songs are pure ownage. It doesn't get much better when it comes to thy doomage, BMD is probably better, that's it.
OminousInane is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
 


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2014 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media