Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
griev0r
Here is Nowhere

Nowhere

I never knew my Brave Murder Day was remastered until Paul Kuhr recently mentioned something about it in his forums. I found myself a copy and so happy I did, BMD sounds SO much better this way!

It comes with 3 bonus songs I've never heard but 'Nowhere' really stands out for me. What a fucking great song.

It's got Mike on vocals I believe but all the drums and guitars sound different than BMD tones. When were these tracks recorded?

Anyways maybe I'm the last to hear about this but any Kata fan should definitely pick this up. BMD sounds 100x better and the extra songs are fantastic!
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
abyss

The three extra tracks on the Brave Murder Day peaceville reissue are taken from the EP Sounds Of Decay, that was recorded in 1997 at sunlight studios, and was the last "extreme" metal music recorded by Katatonia.
Old April 29th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Coma323

So, does the BMD w/ Sounds of Decay sound different then the BMD w/ For Funerals to Come?
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco

I think the Peaceville one w/Sounds of Decay was the first time BMD was properly mastered. Cause it went to the pressing plant unmastered, or something. I haven't heard the original version of the album so I don't know the difference. Oh and Sounds of Decay is one of the best things Katatonia has ever done.

Speaking of Sounds of Decay....when I met Opeth a while ago, Mikael told me (after I profusely fanboyed him over BMD) that there was a "more brutal" version of Sounds of Decay which was recorded, but not released because Anders didn't like it. Could this perhaps be where "Untrue" came from? I dunno about you but I'd love to hear the rest of the "more brutal" version.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Coma323

It's hard to imagine SoD being more brutal
Old May 1st, 2009, 06:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
So, does the BMD w/ Sounds of Decay sound different then the BMD w/ For Funerals to Come?
Yes, cause the version with For Funerals to Come wasn't mastered at all, like all versions of BMD before the Peaceville release. The new version sounds great, it's also available in mid-price, so I would strongly recommend to buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Heaven View Post
I think the Peaceville one w/Sounds of Decay was the first time BMD was properly mastered. Cause it went to the pressing plant unmastered, or something. I haven't heard the original version of the album so I don't know the difference. Oh and Sounds of Decay is one of the best things Katatonia has ever done.
I never particularly liked Sounds of Decay, it's not bad, but doesn't stand out either i.m.o.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare_Heaven View Post
Speaking of Sounds of Decay....when I met Opeth a while ago, Mikael told me (after I profusely fanboyed him over BMD) that there was a "more brutal" version of Sounds of Decay which was recorded, but not released because Anders didn't like it. Could this perhaps be where "Untrue" came from? I dunno about you but I'd love to hear the rest of the "more brutal" version.
I think 'Untrue' indeed came from that version. I'd love to hear that recording of SoD.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Sounds of Decay is amazing. One of my favourite pieces of music that isn't on an album. Katatonia are the masters of that. 'Nowhere', 'Help Me Disappear', 'Wait Outside', 'Unfurl'.... No other band in the history of music has had so many classic songs!
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

For Funerals to Come is the stand-out EP for me.
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
ShadowCreator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTinus View Post
For Funerals to Come is the stand-out EP for me.
For me as well, there is nothing quite like it...Tis Glorious.
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Coma323

Quote:
Yes, cause the version with For Funerals to Come wasn't mastered at all, like all versions of BMD before the Peaceville release. The new version sounds great, it's also available in mid-price, so I would strongly recommend to buy it.
Shit, I hate buying things I already have in some other version but I really want to hear this.
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco

Its worth it for the whole expanded packaging and stuff really. Not very many re-issues are done that well especially in metal, it doesn't feel cheap or shitty or anything.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

True and it's nice to have BMD on one disc with Sounds of Decay, the EP that actually 'belongs' with BMD (unlike FFtC), being the only other release with Mikael on vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCreator View Post
For me as well, there is nothing quite like it...Tis Glorious.
Word!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
brownden

I just recently fell in love with my copy of Brave Yester Days again and had myself wondering many things about the Sounds of Decay EP. Perfect timing for this thread!!
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
brownden

Quote:
True and it's nice to have BMD on one disc with Sounds of Decay, the EP that actually 'belongs' with BMD (unlike FFtC), being the only other release with Mikael on vocals.Word!
damn I might have to pick this up. SoD is truly amazing I've realized recently (not sure what I didn't hear or notice before). I love the raw sound of BMD though. Other than the convenience of having both on one disc, is the sound quality really that much improved that it's worth a 2nd purchase?
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownden View Post
damn I might have to pick this up. SoD is truly amazing I've realized recently (not sure what I didn't hear or notice before). I love the raw sound of BMD though. Other than the convenience of having both on one disc, is the sound quality really that much improved that it's worth a 2nd purchase?
I think so, especially in the lower frequencies the sound improved, it sounds more balanced and powerful.
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
OminousInane
Like Glass...

SOD is insanely badass, all three songs are pure ownage. It doesn't get much better when it comes to thy doomage, BMD is probably better, that's it.