Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:54 AM   #51 (permalink)
FlawedCoil82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDepraved View Post
You don't know much about metal, so don't be so ignorant. There are plenty of metal bands with clean vocalists...if you don't want to listen to Death, Black, Thrash or other genres of metal with harsh vocals then don't...plain and simple.
If you are willing to give me some of these bands' names, I am willing to give them a listen.
Within Temptation, Flaw, Tool, Lacuna Coil, The Panic Division, Breaking Benjamin, Katatonia, Red, Evans Blue, A Perfect Circle, Lunatica, Metallica, Evanescence, Silverchair ('94-'01), Bush, Autumn, Stone Temple Pilots, Fair To Midland, Leaves' Eyes, Novus Dae, Cyrenic, Goo Goo Dolls, Type O Negative, Cold, Staind, Era For A Moment, The Birthday Massacre, Absolution Project, Delain, Atomship, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Creed, Linkin Park, 10 Years, Brave, The Smashing Pumpkins and tons more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:53 PM   #52 (permalink)
Lateralus14
Banned

Warning.

Really though, most of the best metal has harsh vocals and you really don't get the point if you think they detract from the music.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #53 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Maiden. Ryche...

Why am I even listing some? Do the research man..
Old December 22nd, 2009, 06:06 PM   #54 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Pentagram, Candlemass, Witchfinder General, Satan, Tygers Of Pan Tang, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Manilla Road, later Sentenced, Atlantean Kodex, Anvil Chorus, Cloven Hoof, Blitzkrieg, Helstar, Sanctuary....to name a few...

Granted, some have falsettos, but I still consider that clean.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 01:36 AM   #55 (permalink)
Pastor Digger
Soul saved for $6.66

FlawedCoil82:

You might also like Tiamat. Some of their albums have the growls though. But if you check out their cd's titled; "Prey", "Skeleton Skeletron", "Judas Christ", "A Deeper Kind of Slumber", those don't have any growls. Tiamat is like dark goth rock mixed with Pink Floyd.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:23 AM   #56 (permalink)
Lyre's Harmony
Lunatic Soul

all the prog metal bands out there as well
Ayreon, kamelot, evergrey, sun caged, riverside, dream theater, symphony-x, Nevermore, the mars volta, redemtion, fates warning, shadow gallery, circus maximus, spock's beard, transatlantic, vanden plas, pain of salvation... etc etc
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM   #57 (permalink)
EddyRX10
rtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by failure_of_threads View Post
No.

Seventh Wonder-Mercy Falls

IS the best record of the decade.

That is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliotropic_Rose View Post
I just can't stand that style of vocals and his lyrics suck IMO, I hate this band on the same level as I do Dream Theatre, I just don't like the style of music, it conveys no emotion for me.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? He has a fucking amazing voice, way better than any (for the most part) standard cheesy power/classic heavy metal singer....
Failure is right about the Vocals, he is fucking incredible. No emotion? Have you actually listened to Mercy Falls? Its fucking flawless and bursting with emotion. I get what you mean about Dream Theater but this is nothing like it bar being progressive. DT value being technical over writing great songs SW on the other hand have perfected a mixture of the two, MF = 100% flawless victory.

Album of the Decade? No but its definitaly better than anything Katatonia have done (IMO ofc).

I'm also addicted to NiTND like most people here seem to be
Considering Hammerfest II next year and I agree with OP. They should just play it in its entirity.

Me Tarding on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/EddyRX10
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM   #58 (permalink)
Pastor Digger
Soul saved for $6.66

Also a decent band to check out that's somewhat influenced by Katatonia is "MARBLE ARCH-Another Sunday Bright". It was released on Century Media maybe 5-7 years ago and was actually good! Not great, but good if you like darker rock. I think the band broke up after the one release though.

NEW DAWN FOUNDATION is also another pretty cool band for darker rock. They sound a bit like H.I.M. but not as "girly" in the sense that they won't have quite as big appeal to girls as HIM does. Not knocking HIM for that though.

Edit: Both those bands are hard too find, but they are available on Amazon.com and maybe E-bay as well.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
Coma323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Digger View Post
FlawedCoil82:

You might also like Tiamat. Some of their albums have the growls though. But if you check out their cd's titled; "Prey", "Skeleton Skeletron", "Judas Christ", "A Deeper Kind of Slumber", those don't have any growls. Tiamat is like dark goth rock mixed with Pink Floyd.
and Wildhoney.
Old December 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #60 (permalink)
Hobo
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Digger View Post
Also a decent band to check out that's somewhat influenced by Katatonia is "MARBLE ARCH-Another Sunday Bright". It was released on Century Media maybe 5-7 years ago and was actually good! Not great, but good if you like darker rock. I think the band broke up after the one release though.
One of the guys from Marble Arch i Martin Boman, who hosts one of swedens biggest morning radio shows on bandit radio here in sweden.
He has made some covers of Katatonia available on thyre homepage if anyone´s curious (i have posted them here before..)
he now plays in Librah who is really good aswell.
Old December 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #61 (permalink)
Katatonic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
My biggest issue is the bare bones writing. All there really is to the majority of the album is extremely straight forward riff's that anyone could have written. I don't dislike it, but there's not a whole lot that's standout to me either. It just feels like it's missing practically everything that makes the band so great imo. I can see I'm getting damn redundant on the matter so whatever ... Just my opinion.
That's exactly how I feel. I think TGCD was a lowpoint for Katatonia.
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #62 (permalink)
Ejay

Quote:
No.

Seventh Wonder-Mercy Falls

IS the best record of the decade.

That is all.
Jester music with police sirens.

Old December 25th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #63 (permalink)
Ejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejay View Post
Jester music with police sirens.

Hold on, there's even a Casio synth in there. And I can make out some Toto, Blind Guardian and Dream Theater influences.