Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #51 (permalink)
the mourner13
bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmT-Curwen View Post
Seven Screaming Souls, I picked first the whole DDoS :P
But the song that clicked in my mind and made me a fan was In Silence Enshrined, which is still my favourite song.
In Silence Enshrined is really one hell of a piece!! I remember being a fan of this song for so long... Now I had to give it another listen)
I cut my lungs out, I need a fix,
You're my puzzle and my pieces fit
Cos everything and everyone is old.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

Hmm i'd have to say Leaders. I picked up TGCD on a whim and was hooked from then on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #53 (permalink)
Ace

My Twin/ I am Nothing
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #54 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

I read about them. There was this reviewer (Wim Baelus) for Dutch Aardschok magazine who specialized in the darker more obscure genres. I would follow his advices often and discovered many bands thanks to him (Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced..). He described Katatonia in some reviews of other bands (linked them to Dissection, which I then was heavily into), the description of dark, doomy, Swedish and melodic really appealed to me, so as soon as I found the Jhva Elohim Meth... The Revival MCD in an Amsterdam record shop, I bought it, I bought DoDS soon after. Must have been 1993/1994, I was 17 or 18. I would always go to this record shop in Amsterdam for their extensive selection of obscure stuff, they carried what no other store carried, sadly this store had to close its doors a few years ago. I still own many cd's I bought there through the years..
Old March 14th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #55 (permalink)
hookman

Passing bird for me. Though I also heard criminals and ghost of the sun around the same time
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #56 (permalink)
OPETH_DT

I bought "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Brave Murder Day" at the same time back in 2001, because I had heard about the two styles and initially wanted to see how each one worked both on their own merit, and then going back and picking up on similarities, tone and vibe-wise. Since then, I've purchased every studio album and a few singles. I can't remember if a particular song stood out for me, because I liked how each album flowed.
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #57 (permalink)
desiredusername

Inside the City of Glass
Old March 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #58 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiredusername View Post
Inside the City of Glass
That must have been an interesting journey, since they have no song that is anyway like it.
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #59 (permalink)
nechestriah

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
I heard 'Deadhouse' on a Century Media sampler and really didn't think all that much of it (can you believe that??). I was still curious, so when 'Tonight's Decision' was released I bought it, gave it a chance and then it was all over for me. I knew the path I would walk... in metaphorical music terms.
That sampler was the same one that got me into Katatonia in the first place... I didn't jump out of my chair the first time I heard it, but I liked the sound, and they have progressively grown on me ever since. I think around Tonight's Decision is when I really fell in love.
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #60 (permalink)
Kagunslinger

First song that got me into them was "without god". After that, I checked out the entire Dance of December souls album, and I was sold. Even though I am a fan of the entire discography, DODC is still my all time favorite.

cover by a beautiful lady singing Epica's unleashed

Last edited by Kagunslinger : March 14th, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #61 (permalink)
Lyre's Harmony
Lunatic Soul

Being a super Opeth fan back in the day, i had an urge to buy everthing Ake had vocals in. i heard murder online, but it wasn't until i heard brave that i had lost some of my potential children. then my brother bought VE and TGCD which came out a couple months after i got BMD, then we slowly closed the gap, he buying the next oldest and me buying the next newest.
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #62 (permalink)
Katatonic89

Brave
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:58 AM   #63 (permalink)
discouraged1
disco my arse!

hmmm.

it was 1998 i think.

it was a 2-minute sample of rainroom a friend downloaded from some site and taped it for me.

in the summer of 1999 i was entering a cd shop in thessaloniki, greece in order to buy me anathema's judgement. as i entered some strange yet familiar music was coming from the speakers in the shop.

i asked the guy (his name was joe) if it was judgement or what it was, and he showed me the sleeve of discouraged ones. it was deadhouse playing.

i left the shop with 4 cd's - anathema's judgement, tiamat's skeleton skeletron, saturnus' paradise belongs to you... the fourth cd was discouraged ones. got myself hooked right away.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #64 (permalink)
Illinair

A friend of mine was doing a radio broadcast through shoutcast. He was a typical heavy metal guy.. still is. Now THAT is the irony of the story... He suddenly started playing a song which is possibly the darkest thing I've ever heard. It was bleak, hypnotic, desolate and extremely eerie. I'm instantly shocked in that moment. Couldn't move... As the song progressed I felt many things that I've never felt before.... after the song ended I asked my friend what is the name of the song and who is the artist. Yeah... It was Brave. A ten minute journey tho the other, the ether world. The irony is that the friend I was talking about doesn't listen to Katatonia. But strangely he played that song of the band which later is going to have a strong impact in my life. Which is really eerie. Like the rest of the album and the sound. I told him about this years later and he is indeed surprised. Well; that is what got me started into Katatonia and I thank to that moment by starting this beautiful journey.