Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM   #26 (permalink)
noctambulant

ohhh shut please, don't make me wonder why the fuck you haven't even uploaded a single pic of you in four years...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
noctambulant

lol...I've never,never stalked anyone..I'm just reacting as anybody would to stupid accusations..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
KittyKatatonia

He makes good points about all the songs on his list. Epistel is worthless, and Dancing December I can listen to but it's definitely odd. Relention and Fractured I do find to be both good songs, but they are probably a little weak compared to a lot of their other songs. I like Untrue too, but it does feel pretty incomplete.

If I had to pick their worst song overall besides Epistel, I'd probably go with Scarlet Heavens. While I do enjoy the song from time to time and think it's well written, it's just not Katatonia to me. Jonas sounds like he's doing an impression of all those shitty goth vocalists who sound like they're singing lower than their voice naturally goes. At least Jonas doing it sounds decent.

I also never really got into One Year From Now. It's just a strange song compared to the rest of their material on Viva Emptiness, and the noisy part in the middle really sucks.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #29 (permalink)
Illinair

If I had to choose it would be "Walking By A Wire". Definitely. I like all other songs from all of the albums,eps and singles... Other than Walking By A Wire, Will I Arive and One Year From Now are the ones that I don't find very... "inspired".
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #30 (permalink)
AngelinaBlakkheim
Menacing meow

Ha, thought I was the only one that didn't like those same songs.
Old April 16th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #31 (permalink)
GmT-Curwen
Wildhoney

Dancing December the worst? How could this happen :C
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:51 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lateralus14
Banned

Also, how the hell is Seven Dreaming Souls not there if Epistel is? If one counts as a song, then the other definitely should, and there's no way Relention or Dancing December is less entertaining than either.
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
shadowNINE
иии

Though "Untrue" is a very simple and short song, I actually think it's excellent. Great dynamic, delivered with strength; a very strong song, really.

WTF, Anders? Haha.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
verma

untrue and relention are not weak D:
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:18 AM   #35 (permalink)
Noituudenaika
Katatonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctambulant View Post
well,that's my personal opinion and if you don't like it up your ass then .i.
.. I agree with We Must Bury You. Maybe it has a context but I can't find it.

http://www.myspace.com/lastlastexitexit
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
Brave.Archangel
Inside the City of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowNINE View Post
Though "Untrue" is a very simple and short song, I actually think it's excellent. Great dynamic, delivered with strength; a very strong song, really.

WTF, Anders? Haha.
Maybe he dislikes it because almost every katatonia song i can think of is better than Untrue... wtf anders?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:49 AM   #37 (permalink)
Ace

I am pretty shocked on relention as well. I love that song, really get in your head. Very interesting comments though, and also a good read. I always wonder with bands what songs they just hate that they wrote. I hope me and Anders can still be friends lol.
Old April 6th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #38 (permalink)
Anthony
criminal

Wow. Fractured IMHO is one of the most powerful songs of the band! Headbangin' riffs! Relention has a good atmosphere for a night driving=) Untrue... i find it a good piece of song, it is great as a piece of music coming from nowhere and going to nowhere.

About Dancing D and Epistel - I'm agree with Anders.
... then go and get someone!

Old April 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #39 (permalink)
season1234

I don't like the chorus to Fractured at all, and I can agree with Untrue and Epistel (although I don't 'hate' either song).

Totally, totally disagree about Dancing December! I think it is a beautiful song, my favorite off of DODS. I think the atmosphere and melody is very heartfelt. I also like Relention quite a bit, great song! I would take both of these songs over over The Promise Of Deceit or Right Into The Bliss anyday.
Old April 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #40 (permalink)
scentofdeath
DAC

There's no such thing as "bad" or "worse" Katatonia song.
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #41 (permalink)
FlawedCoil82

Quote:
Originally Posted by season1234 View Post
I would take both of these songs over over The Promise Of Deceit or Right Into The Bliss anyday.
Nah, I can't agree here. 'The Promise Of Deceit' is one of my top favorites they have ever done. The utterly seething bitterness and jealousy in that song gives me chills. Jonas sounds as if he is forcing himself to be restrained through the song, but just teetering on the edge of sanity and not being able to hold it in much longer, and at the chorus when that guitar chord comes in (after he sings "So when did you come to think...*guitar*") is when that self-restraint begins to crack and release so it's a very powerful point in the song for me.

'Relention' is the only song that Anders listed that I am really surprised by, as that is one of my favorites from DISCOURAGED ONES. The others, I won't argue with. If I had to list my top five least favorite Katatonia songs (only counting their clean vocals era as I don't like any of the growled songs more than even these bottom five), my bottom five Katatonia songs are:

1. 'We Must Bury You'
2. 'Fractured'
3. 'One Year From Now'
4. 'Help Me Disappear'
5. 'In Death, A Song' (Would have been 'Nightmares By The Sea' if it were their own).
Within Temptation, Flaw, Tool, Lacuna Coil, The Panic Division, Breaking Benjamin, Katatonia, Red, Evans Blue, A Perfect Circle, Lunatica, Metallica, Evanescence, Silverchair ('94-'01), Bush, Autumn, Stone Temple Pilots, Fair To Midland, Leaves' Eyes, Novus Dae, Cyrenic, Goo Goo Dolls, Type O Negative, Cold, Staind, Era For A Moment, The Birthday Massacre, Absolution Project, Delain, Atomship, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Creed, Linkin Park, 10 Years, Brave, The Smashing Pumpkins and tons more.

Last edited by FlawedCoil82 : April 9th, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #42 (permalink)
Anthony
criminal

Mine disagree too. "Right Into The Bliss" is a great song, full of light and hope=) And clean pieces of guitar and "flute" are awesome, solo part is just awesome!

Old April 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #43 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Mine disagree too. "Right Into The Bliss" is a great song, full of light and hope=) And clean pieces of guitar and "flute" are awesome, solo part is just awesome!
Right Into The Bliss saves lifes.
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #44 (permalink)
Bereavement
In the vein of Dark

this list doesn't have We must bury you?the list is not valid :troll:

honestly I love Relention and Untrue very much.

but then Dance December and Epistel , I kinda agreed with Anders. I mean, they are not the worst but kinda a weaker songs

my personal top 5 worst songs from katatonia
1. We Must Bury You
2. Sleeper
3. Day (I know most of you gonna hate me)
4. Will I arrive
5. can't think of any.
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #45 (permalink)
season1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
Nah, I can't agree here. 'The Promise Of Deceit' is one of my top favorites they have ever done. The utterly seething bitterness and jealousy in that song gives me chills. Jonas sounds as if he is forcing himself to be restrained through the song, but just teetering on the edge of sanity and not being able to hold it in much longer, and at the chorus when that guitar chord comes in (after he sings "So when did you come to think...*guitar*") is when that self-restraint begins to crack and release so it's a very powerful point in the song for me.

'Relention' is the only song that Anders listed that I am really surprised by, as that is one of my favorites from DISCOURAGED ONES. The others, I won't argue with. If I had to list my top five least favorite Katatonia songs (only counting their clean vocals era as I don't like any of the growled songs more than even these bottom five), my bottom five Katatonia songs are:

1. 'We Must Bury You'
2. 'Fractured'
3. 'One Year From Now'
4. 'Help Me Disappear'
5. 'In Death, A Song' (Would have been 'Nightmares By The Sea' if it were their own).
We will never agree on this for sure, although we do agree about Fracture and One Year From Now. I don't even have the words to state how much better I think Help Me Disappear, and particularly In Death, A Song are compared to the Promise Of Deceit. How In Death, A Song makes your top 5 worst is beyond my comprehension! I think that song contains absolutely classic mid-era Katatonia: Soaring guitar melodies (just PERFECT leads from Anders), a good up tempo beat, memorable vocal lines, and heavy ass guitars.

But: to each their own . How boring would the world be if we all agreed about everything!?!?

My list (which is a tribute to Katatonia that it took me so long to think of 5 songs I really don't like out of all the tunes I have heard from them over the last 18 years):

1. One Year From Now
2. Fractured
3. The Promise Of Deceit
4. Right Into The Bliss
5. I Transpire
Old April 16th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Anthony
criminal

Quote:
How In Death, A Song makes your top 5 worst is beyond my comprehension! I think that song contains absolutely classic mid-era Katatonia: Soaring guitar melodies (just PERFECT leads from Anders), a good up tempo beat, memorable vocal lines, and heavy ass guitars.
Agree here! In Death, A Song sometimes sound unfinished... but it gives food to imagination, how could it be with other sound, other arrangement etc))

One Year From Now is a song I used to skip. But it fits atmosphere of criminal(Max Payne!!!) on the VE album. It is noir itself...

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #47 (permalink)
FlawedCoil82

Quote:
Originally Posted by season1234 View Post
How In Death, A Song makes your top 5 worst is beyond my comprehension! I think that song contains absolutely classic mid-era Katatonia: Soaring guitar melodies (just PERFECT leads from Anders), a good up tempo beat, memorable vocal lines, and heavy ass guitars.
It's not really a bad song....trust me I was struggling to come up with any songs I consider to be "weak" from Katatonia (post BRAVE MURDER DAY anyways). However, my issue with 'In Death, A Song' is that it goes on for too long. The chorus hook is done too many times in the song with not enough payoff/variation throughout the rest of the song. It has a good upbeat sound as you stated, but after about 3 minutes of the same chorus hook and fairly uninteresting verses, I start to get bored with it (I do like the bridge just because it changes things up a tad). The vocals aren't quite up to par either. 'This Punishment' is another contender I could have named, although I love the guitar after the 1:34 mark. 'Gone' was also a possible choice (and 'Scarlet Heavens' definitely would have been a pick if it would have been an official DISCOURAGED ONES track since I was only counting clean vocal songs).
Within Temptation, Flaw, Tool, Lacuna Coil, The Panic Division, Breaking Benjamin, Katatonia, Red, Evans Blue, A Perfect Circle, Lunatica, Metallica, Evanescence, Silverchair ('94-'01), Bush, Autumn, Stone Temple Pilots, Fair To Midland, Leaves' Eyes, Novus Dae, Cyrenic, Goo Goo Dolls, Type O Negative, Cold, Staind, Era For A Moment, The Birthday Massacre, Absolution Project, Delain, Atomship, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Creed, Linkin Park, 10 Years, Brave, The Smashing Pumpkins and tons more.
Old April 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM   #48 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Butbut... Gone!!
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #49 (permalink)
Anthony
criminal

Quote:
Butbut... Gone!!
When I was young I loved this song for it's text)) It described my ruined relations: "When I was thinking this was something permanent, you were already thinking of going away"... such unsophisticated sincere words...

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
DarkGift
ov Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawedCoil82 View Post
It's not really a bad song....trust me I was struggling to come up with any songs I consider to be "weak" from Katatonia (post BRAVE MURDER DAY anyways). However, my issue with 'In Death, A Song' is that it goes on for too long. The chorus hook is done too many times in the song with not enough payoff/variation throughout the rest of the song. It has a good upbeat sound as you stated, but after about 3 minutes of the same chorus hook and fairly uninteresting verses, I start to get bored with it (I do like the bridge just because it changes things up a tad). The vocals aren't quite up to par either. 'This Punishment' is another contender I could have named, although I love the guitar after the 1:34 mark. 'Gone' was also a possible choice (and 'Scarlet Heavens' definitely would have been a pick if it would have been an official DISCOURAGED ONES track since I was only counting clean vocal songs).
I agree about "In Death, A Song", but "This Punishment"? so emotional, so powah!