Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Victorialand

Katatonia's Top 5 Worst Songs...By Anders

Guys/Gals,

Check this.

http://decibelmagazine.com/Content.aspx?ncid=363619

"Relention" is my fav song, Anders. We can't be friends.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wildhoney
Allegra Fiorentina

''Discouraged ones'' isone of my all times fave records, as well as one of the best ever released by Katatonia. And ''Relention'' is a beautiful song. Actually, I cannot find any bad song at all on that record. I like it so much. What a pity I'm reading this thread only now after the gig, otherwise I would've screamt the title for sure

My fansite:
http://www.klimt1918-fever.net
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bleak Eyes
Irrelevant

Ha, I love Relention as well. I also enjoy Dancing December and Fractured is not terrible. I think Untrue is nice for what it is too. But everyone is their biggest critic, as "they" say.
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Huh. I can't really see why Relention is silly..

I always felt that the melody in Dancing December was taken from some classical romantic piece, or something..
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lateralus14
Banned

Ok well, since he put Dancing December down, I now think Anders is a complete dumbshit who should gtfo. Just my $.02

Edit: Oh yea, and Relention? More songs from the '00s plz.
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
i aint play this

Fucking hell, Fractured? that song is incredible, the chorus is fucking strong. I don't get it.
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Flicker_84
Dancing December

Dancing december worst ? oh no.. its not true I Love this song..
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
AngelinaBlakkheim
Menacing meow

We somewhat agree. Not the worst songs in my opinion but songs that never got my attention really, except for Dancing December, I always liked that one.
I'm curious about what do you, Anders, think about Velvet Thorns.
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
isolation_years

lol dancing december, i knew that had to be swano's taint, still a good song though, not my least favorite for sure
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

I can't disagree w/ Anders...
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

FRACTURED!! WTF is up with all the hate? The best pre LFDGD song imo.

Last edited by BlueSky : March 29th, 2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco

Untrue? Dancing December? RELENTION?

nah. sorry. don't agree....at least he doesn't cuss down the delay guitar part on Dancing December cause i think that's one of the best pieces of guitar music i've ever heard. I rate Untrue cause it's the heaviest thing they've done and the riff itself is nice...and Relention is one of my favourites so yeah.

Speaking of Sounds of Decay, is there any way at all to hear the first recorded version of it? Mikael Akerfeldt told me about it (at the Opeth DVD screening, i went straight up to him talking about Brave Murder Day ("i masturbate furiously to that record", I hope he'll remember that lol), might have been the only person there to mention Katatonia to him as he seemed surprised)..or does it not exist anymore? I assume those sessions are where "Untrue" comes from, given the rougher sound.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
MadTinus
Spelling/language nazi

Always liked Relention, love how it starts, beautiful guitars. Fractured ain't bad either, like it. Untrue and Dancing December as well. And I always press stop before Epistel starts
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
MountainDweller
Under The Dark Moon

I can't remember "Dancing December" right now, so I can't really comment (yes I do have the album). *goes to Youtube* It's alright.

Definitely agree with "Epistel".

Never really considered "Untrue" to be a real song...more of just a...I don't know really. I don't dislike it though.

I don't mind "Relention". I like the music and atmosphere in the song. Always kinda thought the chorus was a bit strange, I must admit.

"Fractured" is alright. Guess I'm pretty neutral towards it. I sometimes skip it if it comes up and I sometimes don't.
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM   #15 (permalink)
Noituudenaika
Katatonic

I love Relention...

http://www.myspace.com/lastlastexitexit
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
insidethefall
somewhere nowhere

Relention made it but not "we must bury you" ?? cmon anders

I'm all about fractured too
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
devinity
strega bianca velenosa

i must agree about epistel, dancing december i never listen to it for full!!!!!

but

personally i like untrue, relention and fractured.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lateralus14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
I can't remember "Dancing December" right now, so I can't really comment (yes I do have the album). *goes to Youtube* It's alright.

Definitely agree with "Epistel".

Never really considered "Untrue" to be a real song...more of just a...I don't know really. I don't dislike it though.

I don't mind "Relention". I like the music and atmosphere in the song. Always kinda thought the chorus was a bit strange, I must admit.

"Fractured" is alright. Guess I'm pretty neutral towards it. I sometimes skip it if it comes up and I sometimes don't.
Epistel is a song but Untrue isn't?
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Illinair

Epistel maybe yes... however it has that end of the world atmosphere, feeling on it and it really scares the hell out of you when you listen to it at midnight.

Untrue..? Really? Yeah maybe the distorted part is altough the clean sections with wind sounds are great. Again, with a feeling of getting lost in a desert, a barren land and extremely surreal. Adds to the atmosphere of the Sounds of Decay and a great closure for me.

Relention is not a "top" song of Katatonia... It is not the "least" either. The opening riff, western sounding clean guitars(could be baritone) and some nice keyboard in chorus. The outro is the best part and really good in my opinion...

Fractured is probably the only one I agree with. A good song indeed but is one of the least Katatonia songs in my list... No Devotion on the other hand, is wonderful from beginning to the end...

...and Dancing December, well, I listened to it only a couple of times so I skip on deciding on that one... However, not a song that reflects Katatonia's sound that much I can say...

Btw they all are songs since they have "lyrics". Even Epistel have lyrics, I remember Anders once talked about it in an interview.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
brownden

I love the song Relention. I'm totally gonna screw "RELENTION!!!!" at the next Katatonia show I attend.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Bleak Eyes
Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownden View Post
I love the song Relention. I'm totally gonna screw "RELENTION!!!!" at the next Katatonia show I attend.
Ha, I thought about doing the same.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
MountainDweller
Under The Dark Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus14 View Post
Epistel is a song but Untrue isn't?
Never said "Untrue" wasn't a song. I said it didn't seem like a "real" one as if...there's no song structure to it. It's just a soft intro, some yelling to a single riff, then an outro the same as the intro. I guess what I meant was it seemed more like a "filler" track, kind of the way Tool loves to do at times.

"Epistel" is just noise.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
noctambulant

wtf?he at least should have mentioned "we mudt bury you" "criminals" "sold heart" but "relention","DANCING DECEMBER"fuck,is Anders insane or what?
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
noctambulant

well,that's my personal opinion and if you don't like it up your ass then .i.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:15 AM   #25 (permalink)
noctambulant

I'm glad to see that you've been doing your homework....I bet your mom is proud of you haha