Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
Katatonic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisra View Post
Thats just because you don't like In The White.
Haha it's one of my favourite Katatonia songs actually .
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #27 (permalink)
isolation_years

^

i liked your argument

looking through my itunes........i have a bunch of commercial stuff on here, just cause it's catchy as hell. maybe not the best example but i actually really liked a few K-os albums

justice are a good band too, but they are more electronic (although i find the genres, although not extremely close, can still be relatable)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
noctambulant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
Oh, you cant in your wildest fantasys claim that deftones play hiphop.
Rap,hip hop , r&b sound the same to me.Rhymes ,rhymes rhyyyymes !!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lyre's Harmony
Lunatic Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester-Race View Post
that'd be impossible, considering sold heart doesnt say anything about beating up bitches and hoes and buying diamonds like blao like blao blao *gun sounds*, so therefore sold heart sucks.

and yes, 98% of hip-hop is shit. leave it back in the 90's where it belongs.

thanks!
he didn't say anything about lyrics, only catchy electronic beats, which makes me think of sold heart/unfurl etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo View Post
Oh, you cant in your wildest fantasys claim that deftones play hiphop.
Back to School, enough said
Old April 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #30 (permalink)
awia

tbh i dont mind gangsta hip hop(Grown up a good chunk of my life in cleveland ohio, rough place, now in atlanta georgia) because the stuff you hear in gangsta rap, I could actually relate to a certain extent. I can't stand hip hop that blasphemy against women though or is about self gloating. Personally get tired when people bash hip hop, I can understand if all they listen to is that mainstream bull shit (which alot of people that take hip hop seriously loathe most of) While hip hop doesn't take as much musical or vocal skill as metal does, the lyrics of hip hop is far better. (and yes i do listen to a good bit of metal, suffocation, swallow the sun, rapture, katatonia (all albums), old cryptopsy just to name a few. But you know, thats the thing about hip hop, if you can't relate to the lyrics, you aren't going to like it.

Also forget to drop atmosphere in the opening post.

just found out about this nice dude

B. Dolan

Freddy Gibbs

also Canibus (got a whole album dedicated to Egytian like beats, to bad his other albums are lacking

Last edited by awia : April 7th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Freddy Mercury came back from the dead as a black dude?
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
awia

no clue wut u talkin bout dude :P
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by awia View Post
no clue wut u talkin bout dude :P
Last edited by awia : Today at 06:33 PM.

You get one freebie here. Next time...you'll probably get a freebie too.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #34 (permalink)
BlueSky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyre's Harmony View Post
Back to School, enough said
That doesn't make them rap or hip hop especially considering most their songs don't even have that style of vocals. That's like saying Pain of Salvation is rap because Daniel busts a rhyme every now an then.

To the op:
Chino (Deftones) is in this band. They're sorta a mix of trip hop, and shoegaze among other things.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
i aint play this

Man, Daniel's rapping is totla tight on Idioglossia and Used.I fucking love old PoS, they are the type of band that makes me cry in the best possible way =)
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
awia

PoS?
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
LORD DARKSOUL
Welcum 2 my funeral

This is what I listen to while driving around New Orleans shooting people while on PCP.... I think you have to be from the Dirty South to respect/appreciate this. I'll wager that none of you suckers are 51/50 enough.

FREE BOOSIE.
Old April 8th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
awia

oh god. lol that dude is like 50 yrs old throwing up gang signs at 1:49 also at 4:28

this is some real quality gangsta rap

shit reminds me of the streets big time
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #39 (permalink)
Katatonic89

^Well that song sucked... Ass...
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Vincent J.

I like this;

Pete Philly & Perquisite. Sort of jazzy hip hop from the Netherlands

I'm only just getting into Hip Hop step by step so I'm still discovering a lot.
The thing about Hip Hop is that it's more about the feel of the beat. I can really enjoy a good groove. To say Hip Hop is crap gives away a lot about how you feel about music in general. If you can't recognize that it takes a lot of talent to write a good hip hop song you're simply ignorant and haven't really given it much thought. You gotta have a good beat/melody for the backing track first of all. Then you have to have good poetry and a nice flow.
To create that well means you are talented. You don't have to like it, but don't say it's crap. Minds are better when they are open
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Quote:
You gotta have a good beat/melody for the backing track first of all. Then you have to have good poetry and a nice flow.
Thing is, most mainstream songs have neither and slobs like me cannot be arsed to seek out anything better. ^^

And most german rap/hiphop is on an embarrasingly low level musically, which does not help its case.
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #42 (permalink)
Hobo
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisra View Post
And most german rap/hiphop is on an embarrasingly low level musically, which does not help its case.
Oh, that´s because you're most likely dubbing it.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Oh I see what you did there. ^^

See this beauty.. particularly the AUTOTUNE chorus.

Last edited by Lisra : April 8th, 2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #44 (permalink)
Lyre's Harmony
Lunatic Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
That doesn't make them rap or hip hop especially considering most their songs don't even have that style of vocals.
he didn't say they were only that they can play rap, they're still nu.
Old April 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #45 (permalink)
Heliotropic_Rose
in the soil beneath

I watched this whole special on rap and R n B music. It almost all blows if you ask me, but what pisses me off is that THEY and their fans consider them artists. 99% of these rappers SAMPLE SONGS! they all steal drum beats, and then sample other sounds from real ARTISTS who put their soul into their music and dub it their own creation. Then they have the gull to get pissed off when bands come after them and take them to court. PLAGERISM! come the fuck on anybody could learn a music program and simply cut and paste using an array of differnt songs to make something catchy. I guess this is more a spill on how I don't consider them artists at all. Now a days because of copywrite issues they have to create their own stuff, but you have 10 guys writing drum beats, while the man dude just comes in and raps over the beats, and yet he's the guy that gets the credit for being a musical genius, and yes there are some exceptions, some rappers do have talent, i like some, but very little rap.

Deftones rap? that's more of a disgrace than calling them nu-metal. I love deftones mellow and heavy stuff, but mostly their mellow stuff, teenager, passenger, RX Queen, Digital Bath, Cherry Waves, Beware, etc
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #46 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

I remember Chino saying how they invented Nu-metal, not Korn.

Why do I remember this...

Oh and that Snoop Dogg song where he raps over Johnny Cash is disgraceful. Same with the dum dum that rapped over Black Sabbath.
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #47 (permalink)
awia

lol Hip hop is badly represented here in america i cant even understand how badly hip hop is represented in Europe. I bet yall hear the worse of the worse. Same thing with metal here, Metalcore and Deathcore is running wild. All everyone say is "all metal is just noise all". I had to listen to Europe's metal like Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, and Hypocrisy till i start getting into metal (can't really stand thrash all that much, which is pretty mainstream here). TBH most metal (bar daylight dies) over here in America's underground metal focuses on either being crazy heavy(with a catchy chorus) or crazy technical . Some more Army of the Pharoahs.

Last edited by awia : April 8th, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
Katatonic89

Quote:
Originally Posted by awia View Post
lol Hip hop is badly represented here in america i cant even understand how badly hip hop is represented in Europe. I bet yall hear the worse of the worse. Same thing with metal here, Metalcore and Deathcore is running wild. All everyone say is "all metal is just noise all". I had to listen to Europe's metal like Insomnium, Dark Tranquillity, and Hypocrisy till i start getting into metal (can't really stand thrash all that much, which is pretty mainstream here). TBH most metal (bar daylight dies) over here in America's underground metal focuses on either being crazy heavy(with a catchy chorus) or crazy technical . Some more Army of the Pharoahs.
There are some good metal bands from USA. Agalloch (awsome), Tool (fekking amazing), Mastodon (amazing), Novembers Doom (allright), Isis (fucking fantastic), Neurosis (great) hmm... I could go on a while but there are alot of great American bands aswell.
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #49 (permalink)
Heliotropic_Rose
in the soil beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDepraved View Post
I remember Chino saying how they invented Nu-metal, not Korn.

Why do I remember this...

Oh and that Snoop Dogg song where he raps over Johnny Cash is disgraceful. Same with the dum dum that rapped over Black Sabbath.
I would be fine with that . . . if Chino says they invented nu-metal, then to me they are the best of NU-Metal, I still consider them far beyond that though, just like Opeth is far beyond just Death. Korn sucks ass.

America metal i do think sucks mostly, TOOL wouldn't really be very metal in my opinion, but I guess that's the closest genre to put them in. I can't stand ISIS at all. The dude's vocals ruin His growls are weak and the music is mediocre. His growls are weak.

The 90's were america's peak in metal, as was it's HIP-HOP/rap.

Last edited by Heliotropic_Rose : April 8th, 2010 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Ummm...Man...American Metal, lemme teach you all:

Death, Possessed, Vio-Lence, Exodus, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, Dark Angel, Order From Chaos, Solitude Aeturnus, Absu, Autopsy, Saint Vitus, Macabre, Trouble, Incantation, Immolation, Type O Negative, Drawn And Quartered, Morbid Angel, Anvil Chorus, Slauter Xtroyes, Jag Panzer, Satan's Host, Destructor, Deceased...so on so forth.

What I love about America is that there is a very wide variety in metal, compared to places like UK(where to me, the thing I think of first is NWOBHM) and Sweden(Swedish Death Metal).

Then again, I think most people here enjoy the "melodic" aspect of Metal more than the Aggressive(Death, Black, Trash) side.