Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #126 (permalink)
nymphx
C old W ays.

That... was one of the most amazing nights i have EVER experienced. It was more than i could have wished for. I only feel a little sorry about me hurrying a convo with mr. Anthony and Lord Darksoul because i had to catch my train! I hope there will be a next time (:
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #127 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Perfect setlist yesterday and a very good sound. Seems like they concentrated on getting a good produced sounding vocal chain for live. I liked it far better than singing in a stinking sm58 from the venue without compression on it
YES! I went to the Zaandam show and was very impressed by how great Jonas' vocals sounded. They really brought out the characteristic high frequencies in his voice that we've grown to love
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #128 (permalink)
Vincent J.

So, last night I went to the Zaandam gig...
It was amazing! The gig itself was wonderful. I love to be blown away by the heavy sound.
I was really touched during some songs and must say I can still relate to Katatonia's music more than I thought, before going to the gig.
Besides the gig the VIP arrangement was nice. The soundcheck was a real teaser for the show that got me in the right mood and I got pictures and a chat with most bandmembers. A special mention of how nice the people were!
I expected to be going by myself, but met Corey and his wife right at the door.
Also, very unexpected, but very pleasantly, met with Sabine and Lia and grabbed a pizza together.
Back at the show got to greet Anthony and his wife and halfway through Martijn too.
A big THANK YOU to all you guys. I enjoyed enjoying the show together.
You made me appreciate the evening much, much more.
This might also be the place to testify of how sexy Corey is in real life!
It's not the word I'd use myself, but he seems to be a very nice person
Hope I'll see you guys soon!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #129 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Btw, Zaandam has some very very strange architecture
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2228917_n.jpg
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #130 (permalink)
Elishia
Haunted by horror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Byron View Post
You're still alive!!!
yeah, it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
I didn't see you either... I did notice Anthony and Cory, but I was too shy to say hi to them
I've seen a lot of people in Zaandam, but I'm also too shy to say hi
Finally, I'm a little bit dissapointed by the setlist, but anyway, wait outside & dissolving bonds.. I don't complain....
Old May 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #131 (permalink)
Anthony3
I Am Nothing

Quote:
Btw, Zaandam has some very very strange architecture
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2228917_n.jpg
That's me and Cory's hotel.
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #132 (permalink)
°scarlet°
i breathe to memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elishia View Post
yeah, it seems

I've seen a lot of people in Zaandam, but I'm also too shy to say hi
Finally, I'm a little bit dissapointed by the setlist, but anyway, wait outside & dissolving bonds.. I don't complain....

i’m rather disappointed with the fact that a celebrative tour (i mean, it wasn’t just a regular set of gigs…) was organised in such a small area.
yes i’m aware it did cover a few countries, but the spots covered were really sooo close that it was almost like staying in a same country.
and yes i know people flew all the way from US/elsewhere to attend but some of us really have strict and unflexible schedules and couldn’t afford the trip.
i know it’s not the band’s fault but i really do think the places could have been ‘distributed’ better…

of course it’s nothing personal, i just needed an excuse to rant
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:57 PM   #133 (permalink)
Lord Byron
My Uncle Is A Retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by °scarlet° View Post
i’m rather disappointed with the fact that a celebrative tour (i mean, it wasn’t just a regular set of gigs…) was organised in such a small area.
yes i’m aware it did cover a few countries, but the spots covered were really sooo close that it was almost like staying in a same country.
and yes i know people flew all the way from US/elsewhere to attend but some of us really have strict and unflexible schedules and couldn’t afford the trip.
i know it’s not the band’s fault but i really do think the places could have been ‘distributed’ better…

Very true. The band played a sold out gig here in Ireland last year. I couldn't make it to the London gig or any of the others for that matter. : (

Ireland was once a province of Great Britain, but this was the source of epic anti-lulz so it is now an independent country famous for a number of things such as drinking, fighting, hating the English, leprechauns, terrorism, potatoes, drinking and killing the English.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #134 (permalink)
Swany
Rider On The Bonez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Sodomizer was too much a clown for me, but I think most people liked his show.
Dude, not everyone is as depressed as you! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisra View Post
And it seems that when they started to play Right Into The Bliss Anders or Sodomizer forgot to play lead, which was confusing.
No, they didn't forget to play it, it was some synthie (?) backtrack thingie that was way, waaay to quiet. Luckily it was more audible in Zaandam, but everyone I talked to agreed that it still didn't work. I really love "Right Into The Bliss" live but they should've just played that lead on guitar like at Summer Breeze back then...

Quote:
The Zaandam gig was pure perfection.
Congratulations on having succeeded in hiding from me!! ;D

I'm back now and don't feel like doing any of the things I'm supposed to do, so I'm gonna spam you guys:

Still hungover after a devastating night out I made my way over to Cologne to meet up with Cis. Also met Unicorn in the break, but sadly we were spread out all over the venue and didn't really party together. Katatonia on stage had some magic effect on me because I suddenly turned sober again - awesome! Had not checked the setlist online before but the LFDGD set was amazing. Always loved the album, now I feel like I love it even more. And I thought it was a lot of fun to get a whole album as a show... cool, I'd like a set for every album but it'd probably get boring, I guess.
Second set had me confused at first, who would've expected "Brave"? Moreover I wouldn't have expected it to sound that good, but it was great! Personal highlight of that set was "Wait Outside", though, and such a bliss to finally hear "Dissolving Bonds" live! Now I can die happily. Or maybe not completely because "Right Into The Bliss" weirded me out for mentioned reasons and all in all I felt like compared to the first set, the second was less exciting.
Anyway, it was an amazing night that got me all hyped up for the Zaandam show!

But first Cis & me dropped at my place in the suburbs to hang out for a bit before it was time to head for the Netherlands! Have to post this because it's hilarious:

Moving closer to the border we spontaneously decided to crash at Unicorn's place for some quality time and good music. Thanks for your hospitality, bro, hope we didn't disturb you too much! ;D Feel invited to stay over at my place if you wanna join us in Bad Ö!

Zaandam was somewhat interesting (ways going in circles, strange architecture...) and smaller than expected. And very unexpected were also the people we met there... Vincent! Thanks for the meal, so happy to have met you there~! And Martijn! After all, we finally got to see Katatonia together!
And our sexy friends from the States of course! Although I'm sorry I caused a "Aha-Moment" when it turned out that Swany is a girl!! Haha!
No surprises setlist-wise, but not less awesome either. Probably even more fun because of the damn good atmosphere, all the lovely people and just because Katatonia on stage is almost always overwhelming. But it was fucking hot... I really thought I was going to melt.
And as LDS already said, it was like the internet got real in front of the stage... seeing new people from da internet right next to you is always wtf!?
Afterwards I was asked which of both shows I liked better and after considering it for a while, I'd say I liked the Zaandam show better. It was more energetic although I wouldn't say the sound was much better than in Cologne and the lights annoyed me at times. Whatever, these few days were still the best about 2011 so far and I cannot wait to see the next show (whenever and wherever that will be)!!
Thanks everyone for the great time! Especially Cis for keeping me company and Katatonia for these amazing shows!

And as Cory requested... here's proof of how stunningly sexy everyone had turned after the show! (Yeah, Gorik, where were you?!)

この空 埋めつくして今、流星に変われ

Last edited by Swany : May 9th, 2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #135 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Aww crap
I think I saw you and Cis walking by a Greek restaurant while I was parking my car, but I assumed I'd catch you inside.

I agree with the comments btw. As awesome as it may have been, Right into the Bliss was a bit of a bummer, replacing that great lead guitar with backing track synths. I guess they did this to emphasize on the heavy guitars.
Same goes for July, where the clean guitar in the breakdown was played back, while Anders and Sodomizer only played the distortion parts. But now I'm just picking nits I was blown away by all the rest of the set.
Wait Outside proved to be a fantastic live song. And I hope they permanently replace Murder with Brave on their gigs, but I'd doubt it since Jonas commented on the song's length
Clean Today was also great.
This is the third time I've seen them since they started using that backing track, and they improved a LOT each time. First time (one of the first gigs for the NITND tour) it was poorly balanced, now it was nearly perfectly done.
Also thumbs up for Jonas' clean vocals. It's pretty amazing how much he's improved over the years.
I regret I didn't go to more than one gig!

Oh, and the second best things about the weekend was Holland's fast food chains Here in Belgium we don't have KFC or Burger King. And near Amsterdam we came across a place that had BOTH in the same spot! Had a full menu in each of them

Last edited by Cerulean : May 8th, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #136 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Vincent is possessed!!!

ps...I should have bit the bullet and just went to one of these shows...arghhhhhh
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #137 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Now it's official: I should have gone to Zandaam. Damn.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #138 (permalink)
Kains D
Am I my brother's keeper?

Makes two of us. Germany was great, but seems everybody was in the Netherlands.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #139 (permalink)
KittyKatatonia

Can we all agree that giving the "horns" in every picture is really lame and makes you look like a dork?

I wish that whole thing would just go away. It's so cheesy.
Old May 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #140 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Nope, we can't.
Old May 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #141 (permalink)
HumanScum
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by °scarlet° View Post

I signed on this forum mainly to lurk infos about some of my favorite bands and i never thought to post or take an active role in the community, but fuck, I am really pissed off and bitter on how this celebrating thing has been organized, and I'm amazed about the fact that almost no one in here is pissed off too!

I'm really happy for you if you made it at one of the shows (and this is what is generally called "lying") but i doubt that all the people here had the opportunity to attend a gig, because my dead dog could have done a better work at organize this tour, and i mean now, not when he was alive.

It seems to me that they didn't give a flying shit about "celebrating" anything with fans and just went for max money, a show like that would have been sold out even in cambodia but why do that when it is much more simpler place 5 fucking shows in a radius of about 400km counting on the fact that a lot of people will attend two or even three of them.

Well my sincere compliments to those who came up with this, mission fucking accomplished, whatever their mission was, to make a lot of money out of this or to piss off as much people as possible.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #142 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco

guess i'll give my thoughts.

I don't really enjoy gigs anymore tbh, but i got given a spare ticket at the last minute and decided fuck it, i'll go anyway. I do think the setlist could have had more "kvlt" songs, I was hoping for ones like Day, Rainroom, Black Erotica, maybe even Scarlet Heavens, but i'm all about the wishful thinking. I don't enjoy LFDGD all the way through but seeing Chrome, Tonights Music and The Future of Speech was good. On Brave, the vocals were intense (more on this in a sec) and this was probably the highlight of it all for me. I Break, Right Into the Bliss, and Dissolving Bonds were nice suprises too. Again, vocalwise Jonas was on top form, both growling and singing. His best performance out of the 3 times I've seen the band (and I'd rank this 2nd best, after all the first time is destined to be the best forever it seems). The rest of the sound was very good also.

Any criticisms I could aim here are certainly not at the band. This last.fm page http://www.last.fm/event/1805113+Las...with+Katatonia has several people voicing the same kind of things I was thinking. I want to get lost in the sound, not be part of some social night out, and before you say it, yes I will just stay at home and listen to the records next time. This is unfortunate as I always felt Katatonia the ideal band to transport the listener to another dimension in the live arena. I did like the lighting (apart from when they blasted the house lights a fuckload of times, just why?)....needs more smoke, maybe? Whatever, oh well. Thanks for playing Brave.

brief afterthoughts:

I) had i gotten blazed before coming to the gig, i probably would have written different things. My bad for being sober at a concert, never the smartest idea in retrospect.

II) was suprised to find myself being asked for ID and almost getting turned away. Wierd as i was getting into death metal gigs in proper shitholes a couple of years ago no problem, and my friend who saw Swans at the Koko didn't get IDed. Not as hairy as everyone else there, I guess. although that again raises contradictions, as death metal gigs in proper shitholes are always full of beards.

III) Merch was a tiny bit lacking perhaps...suprisingly the one girly shirt on sale had the most interesting design to my eyes, but I'm not that much of a fag. No BMD shirt opportunity wasted goddammit GODDAMMIT.

Last edited by Nightmare_Heaven : May 9th, 2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #143 (permalink)
Dauthus1973
Nephilim

Again, the show was great. The best one sound and performance wise out of all (8+) Katatonia shows I've seen. I saw the die-hard forum people walk around, but I never really talked to anyone except MadTinus and Nymphx before, so I let everyone be. I can relate to the opinion that the atmosphere has become more mainstream and more "normal". But it is also inevitable, I guess. Still had a rather good time.

About the amount of the shows and the locations... it would be very hard to please everyone without doing an intensive tour. This way it was exclusive. And keep in mind that they didn't had to do anything.

Setlist thing: No songs off of Viva Emptiness? I was surprised.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #144 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanScum View Post
Snip
Why would we be pissed off? We went and had a killer time.

Yknow, you play shows where you can get gigs, right? That must have been what they could get, because on the last tour many, many shows sold out, as were many now. If profit was the main idea, the venues would have been bigger? The tickets more expensive? Much, much more merch? Because it was obvious that the merch supply couldn't keep up with the demand even at the second show. Much missed profit there, too.

I'm sad too when I can't see the bands I love because for reasons only known to them they play on the other side of the bleedin world rather than next to me, but raging like that just makes you sound butthurt.

What performer wants to piss off his audience?
Old May 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #145 (permalink)
Skaldir
formerly known as Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post
Dude, not everyone is as depressed as you! :3
FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swany View Post

No, they didn't forget to play it, it was some synthie (?) backtrack thingie that was way, waaay to quiet. Luckily it was more audible in Zaandam, but everyone I talked to agreed that it still didn't work. I really love "Right Into The Bliss" live but they should've just played that lead on guitar like at Summer Breeze back then...

Congratulations on having succeeded in hiding from me!! ;D

I'm back now and don't feel like doing any of the things I'm supposed to do, so I'm gonna spam you guys:

Still hungover after a devastating night out I made my way over to Cologne to meet up with Cis. Also met Unicorn in the break, but sadly we were spread out all over the venue and didn't really party together. Katatonia on stage had some magic effect on me because I suddenly turned sober again - awesome! Had not checked the setlist online before but the LFDGD set was amazing. Always loved the album, now I feel like I love it even more. And I thought it was a lot of fun to get a whole album as a show... cool, I'd like a set for every album but it'd probably get boring, I guess.
Second set had me confused at first, who would've expected "Brave"? Moreover I wouldn't have expected it to sound that good, but it was great! Personal highlight of that set was "Wait Outside", though, and such a bliss to finally hear "Dissolving Bonds" live! Now I can die happily. Or maybe not completely because "Right Into The Bliss" weirded me out for mentioned reasons and all in all I felt like compared to the first set, the second was less exciting.
Anyway, it was an amazing night that got me all hyped up for the Zaandam show!

But first Cis & me dropped at my place in the suburbs to hang out for a bit before it was time to head for the Netherlands! Have to post this because it's hilarious:

Moving closer to the border we spontaneously decided to crash at Unicorn's place for some quality time and good music. Thanks for your hospitality, bro, hope we didn't disturb you too much! ;D Feel invited to stay over at my place if you wanna join us in Bad Ö!

Zaandam was somewhat interesting (ways going in circles, strange architecture...) and smaller than expected. And very unexpected were also the people we met there... Vincent! Thanks for the meal, so happy to have met you there~! And Martijn! After all, we finally got to see Katatonia together!
And our sexy friends from the States of course! Although I'm sorry I caused a "Aha-Moment" when it turned out that Swany is a girl!! Haha!
No surprises setlist-wise, but not less awesome either. Probably even more fun because of the damn good atmosphere, all the lovely people and just because Katatonia on stage is almost always overwhelming. But it was fucking hot... I really thought I was going to melt.
And as LDS already said, it was like the internet got real in front of the stage... seeing new people from da internet right next to you is always wtf!?
Afterwards I was asked which of both shows I liked better and after considering it for a while, I'd say I liked the Zaandam show better. It was more energetic although I wouldn't say the sound was much better than in Cologne and the lights annoyed me at times. Whatever, these few days were still the best about 2011 so far and I cannot wait to see the next show (whenever and wherever that will be)!!
Thanks everyone for the great time! Especially Cis for keeping me company and Katatonia for these amazing shows!

And as Cory requested... here's proof of how stunningly sexy everyone had turned after the show! (Yeah, Gorik, where were you?!)

Great review and pics.
I like that Martijn is developing the horns to something more "classy".
Abscession

my studio:
Kalthallen

--> Kalthallen Cabs - New MesOs 4x12 IR library out! <--
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #146 (permalink)
Anthony3
I Am Nothing

The video I shot at the shows turned out pretty awesome. Coming soon..
Old May 9th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #147 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Quote:
I'm sure your being bald helped you from being recognized!
Old May 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #148 (permalink)
Anthony3
I Am Nothing

Last edited by Anthony3 : May 9th, 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #149 (permalink)
Anthony3
I Am Nothing

Old May 10th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #150 (permalink)
Vincent J.

Anthony... Thanks man! You were right. These video's are incredible.
Katatonia have improved so much through the years. These performances are nearly perfect!