Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
shadowNINE
···

Shining to cover Katatonia on forthcoming EP

Original article here.

Quote:
Sweden’s SHINING is set to release an EP of cover songs with a choice of material that will come as a surprise to many of the band’s fans. The four-track EP, titled “Lots of Girls Gonna Get Hurt”, includes tracks from KATATONIA, KENT, IMPERIET and POETS OF THE FALL, and is due for release on Spinefarm Records on the 16th of May. Whilst KATATONIA is an internationally recognised name, KENT and Thåström’s IMPERIET are relatively unknown outside of Sweden, where they are two of the country’s biggest names, and POETS OF THE FALL is a Finnish band with a substantial following in their own country. Cover art is by Pauline Greefhorst.

Commenting on the decision to release an EP of covers, as well as on the choice of material, SHINING’s front man and founder Niklas Kvarforth had this to say: “In no way should this EP be seen as a new direction for SHINING, and it is absolutely no indication of what you can expect from our upcoming eighth album. Like most musicians neither myself, nor the rest of the band, restrict ourselves to listening to only one genre of music. We all have eclectic tastes, and finding ourselves with some spare time in the studio, we recorded a total of six covers, and decided to release four of them. This EP simply represents some of the artists and music that we like. We know that those fans of SHINING who limit themselves to a narrow musical spectrum will hate the album, but that really is of no concern to us”.
I'm really interested to know which Katatonia song they chose! Also, I respect that they see no shame in having diverse musical interests.

EDIT: http://soundcloud.com/shining-offici...atatonia-cover

Last edited by shadowNINE : May 2nd, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
nimicitor
Idle Blood

I can see them playing something like 'Don't Tell a Soul'.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
shadowNINE
···

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimicitor View Post
I can see them playing something like 'Don't Tell a Soul'.
Interesting you say that. I was thinking they'd be more likely to play an old Katatonia song, but, especially considering the way they described the EP and the preface, I think it might be a newer one.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tranquillian
Svartmetallist

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/...sitemID=173416

"For my demons" it is.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

Surprisingly good.

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old May 2nd, 2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
thomassj

Katatonia is probably my favorite band, and Shining has put out some really fine albums (V and VII) recently, but this cover is really unnecessary - it sounds very close to the original, albeit with slightly weaker vocals.

When some band covers another (more or less) similar sounding band, the result is often uninteresting, like here. The other songs on this Shining EP have more potential.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
LifeDepraved
My soul got a crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomassj View Post
but this cover is really unnecessary - it sounds very close to the original, albeit with slightly weaker vocals.
Agreed.

Haven't listened to Shining in a while now, but I thought it would be a little different. A cover should be different sounding from the original, not an almost exact copy.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
insidethefall
somewhere nowhere

I like it - Tonight's Decision is my least favorite Katatonia album I think because of the production. It's actually refreshing for me to hear this in a different way even though it's not too far from the original.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
shadowNINE
···

http://soundcloud.com/shining-offici...atatonia-cover

I think it is pretty good! Not as different from the original as it could've been, no, but it is still interesting to hear the song played by another band, as insidethefall suggested.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomassj View Post
and Shining has put out some really fine albums (V and VII)
Have you listened to IV? It's their last good album imo. I still can't believe I wasted my money on V, VI and VII...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
DarkGift
ov Doom

sounds good, nowhere close to the original though
Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lisra
starlight spectre

I like the cover.. nice smashing snare sound and all. Good Jonas impression too.

Havent listened to Shining since IV though.. I liked it then pretty good. Has it changed?
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cerulean
Not very cerulean eh

Yes, they have changed. Somehow they include a more 'poppy' feel with each new album they make. Some may like it for the better, but I sure don't... I miss the sickening, evil atmosphere from III and IV. That has completely gone. They're also implementing strange and sometimes out of place almost proggy parts, and (imho) disastrous vocal experiments. Also a lot of copy/paste feeling... Just my 2 cents though! V and VI each still had 2 songs I liked, but I can't recall I liked anything from VII.

I now had the chance to listen to this cover and I'm not convinced. When Shining record a cover, I expect it to be twisted and sick. Maybe I'm stuck in the past
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
the mourner13
bah!

I don't see the point of listening to a cover song when it's almost the same with the original one, only with badly executed vocal parts and a worse sound.
I cut my lungs out, I need a fix,
You're my puzzle and my pieces fit
Cos everything and everyone is old.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
thomassj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
Have you listened to IV? It's their last good album imo. I still can't believe I wasted my money on V, VI and VII...
Yes, and I like that one as well. But I think the poppy and progressive tendencies of V and VII do wonders to Shining's depressive black metal, even though the combination sounds odd on paper indeed. Since you prefer the older style, I would expect you to like VI too.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
gone
zabijasz mnie

Decent cover, loved the intro and the bit before the last chorus.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
FlawedCoil82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone View Post
Decent cover, loved the intro and the bit before the last chorus.
I agree, that was the only "improvement" for me over the original version.
Within Temptation, Flaw, Tool, Lacuna Coil, The Panic Division, Breaking Benjamin, Katatonia, Red, Evans Blue, A Perfect Circle, Lunatica, Metallica, Evanescence, Silverchair ('94-'01), Bush, Autumn, Stone Temple Pilots, Fair To Midland, Leaves' Eyes, Novus Dae, Cyrenic, Goo Goo Dolls, Type O Negative, Cold, Staind, Era For A Moment, The Birthday Massacre, Absolution Project, Delain, Atomship, 3 Doors Down, Lifehouse, Creed, Linkin Park, 10 Years, Brave, The Smashing Pumpkins and tons more.
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
DarkGift
ov Doom

the original intro crushes this one imo
Old May 6th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
stefan86
invariably off-topic

detgörjude

Ending Quest (Swedish Old School Death Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ending...46404308776819

Soliloquium (Death/Doom Metal):
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solilo...36215949804095
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
lifeless_life
TP for my bunghole !!!

Nice cover,ugly vocals, singer should stick to the growls