Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 14th, 2003, 01:44 AM   #51 (permalink)
yv
wears vegetables

Let's refresh the thread!

I knocked into them in Discouraged times, I got 'I break' from one polish metal zine. the song was great, but it didn't encourage me to buy the record. Tonight's Decision cover was that missing factor. It really took passion of me, felt like I was standing there on the track and not knowing where to go, what to chose... When I finally got the alb it was no salvation for me no more! Since then I follow their genius...

What is interesting, my Mum loved DoDS before me and she brought me back to that times (Thanx Mum).

And I got to Opeth via Katatonia! They played gig together
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 14th, 2003, 02:06 AM   #52 (permalink)
seventi
Viva Lonliness!

Actually, I haven't got into Katatonia yet. This is but my first post here and I have only heard a brief sample of one song from the newest album. Criminals I think it was called. I have read about this band for some time and I am very curious to here them some more! So, songs or albums to tips me about would be welcomed
Old April 14th, 2003, 05:11 AM   #53 (permalink)
yv
wears vegetables

Lightbulb

If you liked Criminals you really should check out the last three albs: Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Tonight's Decision. Guarantee, you won't be disappointed. Many great songs-it's too hard and time-stealing to advice, just try yourself Great songs you will also find on EP's: Tonight's Music ('help me disappear') and Teargas ('sulfur'!)

If you like some depressing doom metal as well then try the earliest records...

Last edited by yv : April 14th, 2003 at 05:20 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 14th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #54 (permalink)
Northern Lights
Quicksilver

I had never heard Katatonia before, but I read a review of LFDGD and it sounded like something I would like. I wanted to get a new album at the time, so I got LFDGD on impulse. Needless to say, I've never regretted it
"It is purely an anomaly of fate that Gottfried as a young man, lacking means, seeking a position landed in the court of an obscure German Duke. Who through intricate and tedious lacework of marryings, couplings, dyings, religious conversions, wars, revolutions, miscarriages, decapitations, congenital feeblemindedness, excommunications, et cetera among Europe's elite - most notably, the deaths of all seventeen of Queen Anne's children - became first in line to the throne of England and Scotland"
Old April 14th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #55 (permalink)
seventi
Viva Lonliness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv
If you liked Criminals you really should check out the last three albs: Viva Emptiness, Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Tonight's Decision. Guarantee, you won't be disappointed. Many great songs-it's too hard and time-stealing to advice, just try yourself Great songs you will also find on EP's: Tonight's Music ('help me disappear') and Teargas ('sulfur'!)

If you like some depressing doom metal as well then try the earliest records...
Cool man! Yeah, Criminals was really cool and when I first heard the song I said to myself that this will probably be something I will like. I am getting Viva Emptiness this week and thanx for the tip. I'll be sure to check those other albums out as well!
Old April 14th, 2003, 09:02 AM   #56 (permalink)
yv
wears vegetables

E N J O Y !
Now you're lost too...
Old April 18th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #57 (permalink)
Kains D
Am I my brother's keeper?

I knew Katatonia by means of a friend first, but I forgot and never downloaded a song or visited their URL. Someone at the Samael club at yahoo liked lots of bands the same as I and mentioned Katatonia as one of his favorites.
Then I remembered, visited the URL and loved the intro and the background music. That day I bought LFDGD and since then, I'm a big fan of these guys.
Old April 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM   #58 (permalink)
Dispossession
gg allin

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Transparent_
what was your first experience of Katatonia? they're not the sort of band you hear about all the time, or hear on the radio. so how did you hear of the band?
Since I am new baby here, I will answer this post as well. As I am an old fart (kinda haha), I got into Katatonia through "Ihva Elohim Meth" demo which is still one of my favourite demos, so i am here since the very beginning... remember all the face paint and badmouthing Jews in inties (hi Blackheim! hahaha). I like the demo even more than the debut album... I missed "Songs of decay" somehow later, but after brilliant "Discouraged ones" I quickly caught up and it followed, so here I am. Gotta say that "Last fair deal" helped me a lot to get through last years bad experiences. Weird eh?

Now the new one, it's brilliant. I loved it when I got the promo single from Peaceville but the full lenght which followed later (Lisa, I owe you!) hit me with a bit weird atmosphere... after "last fair deal" i expected hits but this album ended up to be much darker... for a while.. now I know all the songs by heart.

Now that was a confession.

Last edited by Dispossession : April 18th, 2003 at 04:36 PM.
Old April 20th, 2003, 03:44 PM   #59 (permalink)
Protoz

I found a site...Gnod's statistics that had Katatonia near Opeth in the onscreen similarities thing so I got I am Nothing after I was dumped (seemed fitting at the time) and I've been hook since.
Old April 20th, 2003, 10:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
Violin

One day I was browsing through www.mp3.com and I came across a band called Katatonia. I downloaded a few songs there--I believe one was "Passing Bird," I think, but I'm not sure of the other--not expecting a whole lot, but I was nicely surprised. After that I went on Audiogalaxy and found tons of their music, so I had a ball. This was back in '01, and I've been quite a fan of the band ever since. Last Fair Deal Gone Down just blew me away, but from what I've heard of Viva Emptiness it's even surpassing LFDGD, to my shock. But you can't underestimate Katatonia.
Old April 21st, 2003, 03:19 PM   #61 (permalink)
Blodhemn
Following the Chaos Path

I decided one day to buy the 5 newest metal albums (not having heard any of them) from a online shop, Katatonia VE was one of them. I was kinda expecting the Kovenant's SETI to be the best one of the lot, but it didnt even come close to VE.
After a few spins I ordered for the rest of them

"Music is a moral law - it gives wings to the mind, A soul to the universe, Flight to the imagination, A charm to sadness, A life to everything." - Plato
Old April 21st, 2003, 07:35 PM   #62 (permalink)
ScorpionShard
Drunk Bucaneer

Location: lives in NY, would like to live back home in the great Istanbul
Hmmm i don't remember exactly when but I remember buying Brave Murder Day, two or three months after it was released in Europe. It was around the same time I was hooked into Opeth. The sheer beauty of BMD was enough for me to be hooked on Katatonia; I still believe it's my favorite Katatonia album, although I love all of their music [god, I still remember I was singing "I Break" all the damn time ]. I think Katatonia is a band that progressed in the right direction.

Raise a fist to Heaven!
Old April 22nd, 2003, 02:12 AM   #63 (permalink)
ucsbdude
Stargate Addict

Through Opeth... they rock too!

Peace!
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:02 AM   #64 (permalink)
unreality

I heard first time Katatatonia from my friend, i think the album was Brave murder day or Dance of december souls... and there was no turning back I was sold
I think Katatonia has come better, and grown, after every album. Hope they keep going the same line
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM   #65 (permalink)
dg

In 1996 I was a bit into Black Metal and I used to listen to Diabolical Masquerade. I knew that Blackheim had several other quality projects.
I read a very good review on Discouraged ones in Hard Rock Mag. I borrowed the album to one of my friends. That's all folks...
Old April 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM   #66 (permalink)
Incendiare
hejdundrande skitsnack

Back in the days of Napster, my brother was discovering all these underground bands. He downloaded a few of their songs, and I randomly chose to listen to Right into the Bliss. All I had to say was wow. There is absolutely nothing like it.
Old April 25th, 2003, 09:27 AM   #67 (permalink)
italvamp2378
La Bella

My boyfriend and I used to be DJ's at my college radio station, back in 1998, and I found out about them at about the same time I discovered Opeth and Lacuna Coil.

Viva Emptiness has a different feel to it. It's hard to describe. It seems more experimental than Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I really like it

I'll think of something witty to put in here later!
Old April 27th, 2003, 01:41 AM   #68 (permalink)
OracleDeist
LORD IAN

I would go to my friend's house and he would always have Brave Murder day on, a few weeks later I began to love and I was like I have get this shit now!!!!!!!!
Old April 27th, 2003, 11:37 AM   #69 (permalink)
Shogunaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by italvamp2378
My boyfriend and I used to be DJ's at my college radio station, back in 1998, and I found out about them at about the same time I discovered Opeth and Lacuna Coil.

Viva Emptiness has a different feel to it. It's hard to describe. It seems more experimental than Tonight's Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I really like it
Where in New York do you live?
Old April 27th, 2003, 12:16 PM   #70 (permalink)
Shogunaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleDeist
I would go to my friend's house and he would always have Brave Murder day on, a few weeks later I began to love and I was like I have get this shit now!!!!!!!!
He also used to come to my house a lot when I played Last Fair Deal Gone Down EVERY FUCKING DAY and he immediately got hooked on that too!

It is great to have a KATATONIA fan very close by to talk with! He and I just want some FEMALE KATATONIA fans nearby because it is great to have a female's perspective on KATATONIA closeby at all times, plus it doesn't hurt to have a girlfriend who's a KATATONIA fan who shares the love of KATATONIA with you and whom you can fuck while KATATONIA is playing in the background!
Old April 27th, 2003, 12:18 PM   #71 (permalink)
Shogunaut

Hehe! That is my next thread!
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #72 (permalink)
OracleDeist
LORD IAN

Sure why not.
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:09 AM   #73 (permalink)
Shogunaut

huh? Oh well!
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:28 AM   #74 (permalink)
OracleDeist
LORD IAN

The thread.
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #75 (permalink)
Shogunaut

Hmmm.