Katatonia  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Katatonia
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 2003, 02:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Pajo

WHAT! I ahve a sick taste in my mouth now because of this post!
Deftones are discusting. NO WHERE NEAR KATATONIA-FACT. The new song hurts my ears. That guys voice can only do one thing..whine. Jonas's voice can vary A LOT. Deftones music is usually played to put petit children to sleep. Oh soo boring...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
farewell
Sad'n Rock

The only fact is that you're message is disgusting.
First think than write. This is the right way it goes.

I agree with the fact that Deftones will never sound like Katatonia and the other way round!

Minerva ain't the best Deftones song but I believe that the new album is a hammer! Deftones always bring the deepest emotion into a wall of sound ->Minerva!

But this is useless: I'd never come on the idea to compare Katatonia and Deftones and I like both the most! (apples and oranges) Point!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
Schism
Evacuate, Assemble here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobby
ever had the chance to see them live?
Yes at the Opeth gig last month dude, I am stinging to check out the new album

Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:42 PM   #29 (permalink)
Kains D
Am I my brother's keeper?

Deftones aren't horrible. But yes, they are kinda repetitious. Tool is better. And Minerva is quite dissapointing, I hope the album is better.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 04:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
manuelgv
Back now...hopefully

I had a cd from Deftones and it's all angsty guys in their 30's dressing like 17 year olds trying to sound all tough and stuff.
That's my opinion
Old May 22nd, 2003, 11:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
So...this is hell

oh my fuckin god...what moron started this thread....whoever it was...should be shot
Old May 23rd, 2003, 12:16 PM   #32 (permalink)
farewell
Sad'n Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by So...this is hell
oh my fuckin god...what moron started this thread....whoever it was...should be shot
Why? Because he tries to compare the Not-to-comparable or cause the Deftones should get their own forum...?
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
LuminousAether
My name is Distance

Tool aren't better than the Deftones, they are far, FAR worse. Tool have about 5 good songs and a whole fucking heap of boring, mundane, mediocre songs. They are easily the most overrated band of our generation.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 10:05 PM   #34 (permalink)
Demonspell
cheating the polygraph

Finally someone agrees, although for me the number would be even less.
"There is a concern that the Internet could be used to commit crimes and that advanced encryption could disguise such activity. However, we do not provide the government with phone jacks outside our homes for unlimited wiretaps. Why, then, should we grant government the Orwellian capability to listen at will and in real time to our communications across the Web?""
-- JOHN ASHCROFT, as a U.S. senator, from his Aug. 12, 1997 op-ed piece in the Washington Times, "Welcoming Big Brother."
Old May 24th, 2003, 12:03 AM   #35 (permalink)
So...this is hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by farewell
Why? Because he tries to compare the Not-to-comparable or cause the Deftones should get their own forum...?
sorry i should have mentioned that deftones should be shot as well
Old May 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
farewell
Sad'n Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousAether
Tool aren't better than the Deftones, they are far, FAR worse. Tool have about 5 good songs and a whole fucking heap of boring, mundane, mediocre songs. They are easily the most overrated band of our generation.
Dont hang yourself to far out the window! This is a totally the worste musical quote Id ever heard.
Whats you background?
Try to be objective! This is the Katatonia-forum ... the other side of the moon.
Old May 24th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #37 (permalink)
farewell
Sad'n Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by So...this is hell
sorry i should have mentioned that deftones should be shot as well
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
Sorrowful Night V

Yeah, you just cannot compare Deftones to Katatonia.

BTW, the new Deftones album is a disappointment. I just do not know how to feel about it. Minvera, the single they released, is a complete piece of trash. Their first three albums were all relatively good, too, especially the last one White Pony. It tries to be emotional with a wall of sound (Deftones style), but instead of being emotional it just becomes repetitive. Why they chose that song to represent the new album is beyond my comprehension. It is by far the worst song on the entire album. And the entire album is just choppy. It's like they couldn't decide what direction they wanted to go in.

As for Katatonia, they are brilliant and continue to be brilliant with every album. Not many bands can match the same desolate, hopeless, and decayed feeling that radiates from "Discouraged Ones."
Old May 25th, 2003, 03:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Schism

Yeah I just bought, and giving it the first spin now, no tracks are really standing out, Minerva was a little better on second listen, but still not a strong "single" track, I will give it a few more listens before comparing it to the other albums though

Old May 25th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Maleno

I like the new album. Don't think Minerva resembles Katatonia tho.... but I definately like the Deftones album.
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:22 AM   #41 (permalink)
Schism

After listening to it twice, I am pretty disappointed with the new album, it is so flat, and monotonous, no tracks are really memorable, what a disappointment.

I will give it more spins before writing it off though.

Old May 27th, 2003, 11:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
thebleakaffinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism
I will give it more spins before writing it off though.
Please do. It's really a great album in my opinion, and it took about three listens before I reached that conclusion. The drums are incredible, and although Chino doesn't sound particularly good, he's still bearable.

I wish you guys would grow out of the nu-metal phobia, especially considering Katatonia's new album. Deftones are amazing, and I think some of you should really try to give them a chance instead of hating them just because they are a different style of music. If you have listened to them and don't like them, more power to you. But at least give them a chance.
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
Maleno

Have to say..... Deftones kick serious arse live DD

*hoop the BEEEEP is outta my ears tomorrow*
Old June 5th, 2003, 05:25 AM   #44 (permalink)
Mellon
melancholic melon

Red face

Well, the latest katatonia sounds a bit like deftones (only in the guitar parts) because some songs are tuned in C.
Then, deftones are under the nu-metal act but they still not nu metal.
They are more that sad/hevy thing.....

Katatonia are the best band in the world for me. Deftones are not.but they are really good musicians.There is to take in consideration that katatonia are into the european/goth rock/metal scene, deftones are into the american/crossover scene.

This is relevant.

After all, yes Minerva sounds a bit like some viva emptiness's songs.
But some members of katatonia used to listen to deftones, I think to remember, they wrote in their profiles in the old look website.

Katatonia forever.

My Music
My Art
Old June 8th, 2003, 09:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
\m/
I Die Slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon
Deftones is one of those dumb American nu-metal bands.
I totally agree! One of many!
It's funny how the public and media are quite willing to accept lies pedalled by the politicians without any demand for 'proof' and yet they insist on proof from everyone challenging the official version of reality. The official 'truth' of September 11 is one case. A schoolboy could take the story apart. But when faced with other explainations for these events, and for life itself, the same people who accept this crap without question scream: "Where's the proof?" David Icke
Old June 10th, 2003, 01:44 AM   #46 (permalink)
Necrolicht

I think a lot of you people that dislike the Deftones have either not heard White Pony or just gave it a once over and rejected it. The Deftones are far from being just a dumb american band. I dare anyone to listen to songs like Digital Bath, Change, and Passenger and tell me those songs don't drip lots of emotions. In many ways the Deftones and Katatonia are of like minds. Both bands have singers that are heavily influenced by the Cure. Both bands try to create emotional soundscapes with their instruments. And last but not least both bands have evolved to become something more then they originally started out to be. Sure the argument can be made that the Deftones aren't as talented musically but also think about where the Deftones came from and where Katatonia has come from. The parallels between these 2 bands are astonishing and undeniable.
Old June 13th, 2003, 06:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
MURAI
-

I've been listening to the Deftones in my teen years. One of the nu-metal bands that I can actually like. What's this guy talking about how they sound like Katatonia. They're not even close. That Minerva is one of the weaker songs on thier new album. Their new album sounds like a cross between their Around The Fur and White Pony albums and I enjoyed it. Deathblow and Bloody Cape (heavy shit *drools*) are one of the better songs on that album.

Old June 13th, 2003, 06:46 PM   #48 (permalink)
Incendiare
hejdundrande skitsnack

I saw the video on Much yesterday, and it doesn't even remotely resemble Katatonia.

Old June 14th, 2003, 05:50 AM   #49 (permalink)
luismax_78

Yeah man, it sounds like Katatonia in some way, that song Minerva is a great one.
Deftones is OK.
Old June 14th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #50 (permalink)
Heretic Insane

i like some nu metal and listen to mutiilation on my spare time....I still can't get into boy bands and r'n'b, i'm trying though, i'm really trying.....