LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
petrucci_dude
teh shredz0r

To those of you playing in GIGGING bands...

Can someone please tell me what's the money like these days at clubs? I heard it's $75 for 2 sets at some places? Surely aussie metal is worth more than that. Just need to know as I'm in a progressive rock/metal band that is just starting to rehearse and we have some hookups for early next year (provided we have enough material finished and ready to be played live).

Anyways, with that put aside, don't think I'm someone who is in a band for money, I just NEED to play in a band regardless of being gigging or garage-band style. I just want to know on what the pay is like these days for the aspiring and 'working their way to the top' musicians, like Dungeon.

Takers...

GotGroove Productions - Tuition and Recording Services

X3N (Progressive/Groove) - http://www.facebook.com/x3nmetal
Giant Letter Three
(All other music of mine) - http://www.facebook.com/giantletterthree

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

Depends on popularity aswell, that is a HUGE benifactor.
"I woke up one morning and remembered i'd done a particular task the night before. This was vivid, real, a compelling recollection. I proceeded to continue in this task, where i imagined i'd left off. To my surprise, i hadn't even attempted, let alone undertaken, this particular remembered task. It came crashing back to me, and it was apparent, suddenly, that i had invented the recollection. What was real? Memory is not the reliable source people think it."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
TheMadness
the awesomeness

True depends.
Let's say there's 4 bands and about 70 people, each band will get about $70 - $80.

150 people is a good target.
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shadow298
UNLEASH THE GUAN

It all depends on the arrangements made for the gig, 'cause they change from promoter to promoter, venue to venue and gig to gig.
Nothing's sure and stable about payments, especially when you're an new band.
Make sure that you at least make enough per gig to cover your band costs (transport, gear rental/repairs if needed, etc) -everything after that is mere candy.
And don't be too greedy when you start out and start asking/demanding payments off promoters right away. Gives you a really bad rep. Especially if all you do is rock up and play and don't do anything to help the gig out. As a promoter here in Canberra, that was the most frustrating thing to deal with: bands who never pulled their weight and expected to be paid for merely showing up! Fucking cocksuckers! Not gonna name names on this, but people in the scene generally know who they are.
But, that being said, to ensured getting at least some payment out of the gig: get on friendly (but not pestering/stalking) terms of the promoter and/or venue owners, promote the shit out of the gigs yourselves (even if you have to make your own flyers), encourage people to turn up and especially put some money over the bar (makes you look good if the bar make money on the night) and, above all, be professional and lend a hand to other bands and to the promoter (in terms of equipment lending, time changes and set-up/dismantle time).
Follow these rules and success is assured.
And if you're ever looking for a gig in Canberra, drop us a line and I's will help out as best I's can.
Peace
The Pimp NeonBlack

Ego futurus. ut est totus

Latin for "I Exist. That Is All"

For 'geektastic' material, subscribe to these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

Why dont you go and check some places out, see how much they will offer, what they want, wether they would be interested in you etc. Just show alot of integrity, confidence and professionalism, it can and will go along way, especially on impressions and future gigs.
"I woke up one morning and remembered i'd done a particular task the night before. This was vivid, real, a compelling recollection. I proceeded to continue in this task, where i imagined i'd left off. To my surprise, i hadn't even attempted, let alone undertaken, this particular remembered task. It came crashing back to me, and it was apparent, suddenly, that i had invented the recollection. What was real? Memory is not the reliable source people think it."
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
TheMadness
the awesomeness

One things for sure, the best part is actually playing the music.
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Enlightened By Darkness
Garth Algar's Love Child

We are in Central Queensland. We are playing metal originals and hard rock/metal covers (with a few pub rock covers). We are really happy because we may get a jug of beer.

Yes; that's what metal pays here. We dont care. They have a PA, and we get to play what we want. Works for me!!
Could be swept away by fate's own hand!
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
LegionsOfTheDead

It really depends on the arrangements made with the promoter/venue.

Sometimes it will be a percentage off the door, (a dollar a head is what you can expect for your first few gigs... gets better as you climb the ladder obviously) sometimes it will be a flat payment regardless of how many payers show up. (this will usually happen when the promoter KNOWS there's gonna be heaps of people ahahaha)

Sometimes it's nothing at all... we've done heaps of gigs that we didn't get paid for. At the end of the day you have to grin and take whatever you get and not be a whiney bitch about it. There's plenty of bands getting around, piss off a promoter and he'll simply get someone else for next week's gig. Easy.

We didn't get paid at all when we supported Machine Head last year... BUT we had our own merch stand and actually sold a fair bit of our own stuff. We didn't care or worry about it, because playing a show like that (and getting an awesome response) is worth more than money anyway...

My 0.02.

Last edited by LegionsOfTheDead : April 24th, 2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old April 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Keeper of the Seven Cheese
Metallic Progressor

I wonder if Dungeon got paid for Deth :S

You'd think they would rake it in for once!
Old April 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Yeah we did, but not a massive amount. We made up the costs of the flights and gear hire with merch sales, though, and ended up breaking even.

The Nightwish and Angra shows were good for us, we made a tidy profit after them, in spite of all of the flying we had to pay for!

LORD: Website .
UM forum . Facebook . YouTube

LATEST ALBUM "DIGITAL LIES" OUT NOW!

I don't ever want to be
Someone else untrue to me
Just a parody
And be a 2D person in a 3D world
Old April 24th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
TheMadness
the awesomeness

By law you're supposed to get paid for every show. Yeah I guess sometimes verbal agreements are made but yeah, technically you're supposed to get paid for any pub gig you do.

My advice is, in regards to getting money while you're still starting out, FORGET IT COMPLETELY! Go out there, play some shows, have some fun and make a name for yourself. If you're good, then the money will start coming your way but for now, just have fun playing.

Or you could do what I started doing and promote shows yourself. Do all the advertising etc then allocate a cut for yourself. The last gig we did there were 4 bands but because I organised everything and promoted the gig I split the pay 20/20/20/20/20. This isn't dodgy, its just what promoters do so why not also be a promoter? It also guarentees a gig for your band and its a good way to SUPPORT AUSSIE METAL and music in general.
Old April 24th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

Get used to not getting paid when you start off... that's my advice
Old April 24th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
TheMadness
the awesomeness

I have to admit, the first couple of gigs I didn't even expect to get paid. After my first gig I was so happy that I didn't even care. Then the promoter came and gave us $80 and it was only a bonus. Playing the music is the most important part, I obviously can't stress that enough. And if you don't love it then... good luck.
Old April 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
flip`
Your mother was a hamster

I'd be happy being in a band.

Phideaux - Micro Softdeathstar
Old April 24th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Aussie_Metalchild
Lil Aussie Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip`
I'd be happy being in a band.
Hahaha ditto

http://www.lord.net.au
http://www.facebook.com/lordofficial
http://www.youtube.com/user/LORDofficial
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

I remember one of the first Sydney gigs we did where we played at The Forest Inn (supporting Dakk's old band, Dr. Zeus) and we came away from it with a whopping $14! Yay! HAHA!

There was maybe 20 people there including other bands and guests? About 3 of them were actually paying any attention to us too! HAHA!

Fun days!

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old April 25th, 2005, 01:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
Metallic Progressor

14 dollars whoooo, its enough to buy a shoe.
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
metaloz

Theres no money playing originals really.
Its hard enough for a lot of original acts getting gigs let alone make money.
Its only when youve got a following you may make a few bucks and even then nothing to rave about.
You just got to do original stuff for the love of it.
If you want to make money from music unfortunately its covers bottom line unless your a huge act.

This Website is dedicated to helping promote and expose true metal in Australia.
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Yeah, exactly. Dungeon's doing pretty good right now and we're FAR from raking it in from gigs. We can ask for a good amount but when you take all of the other costs involved, epsecially for interstate touring, it's still only a fraction of what the local cover band makes at the corner pub each week.

Sad but true, folks!

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Metallic Progressor

Quote:
it's still only a fraction of what the local cover band makes at the corner pub each week.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Are you serious. What is happening. I thought you guys would be past the point of shit money and would easily make double at least what pub cover bands make. I guess there is no hope of me ever getting a musical break doing originals. Better buckle down for a Bachelor of Psych.
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

It would have been foolish and naive to think that you were going to live of gigging. You would have needed a primary job anyway.
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #22 (permalink)
Toby
Cheesegrater Of Chastity

At our first gig, we got $50 between three of us, and I was plenty happy with that, cause the money doesn't really have any relevance at this point (as has been said before). And yeah, my drum teacher's in a covers band, and he gets a lot more money from that than when he plays in his main band. It's a bitch isn't it? Haha!

Scrote - myspace
Old April 25th, 2005, 02:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Man, we're touring the world... you'd think we'd be raking it in, right?

I don't have any other source of income other than the band right now and I'm eating like 2 minute noodles for dinner every night! (not quite, but you get the idea). The other guys have full-time jobs which is putting food on the table for them.

We do get money from the label and that pays for a lot of the touring, but we also have to put in our own food & accom money while we're on tour. That's a fucking shitload of money.

Record sales royalties only get paid every 6 months and you have to recoup all of the manufacturing and promotional costs with that first, so you see fuck-all money from them.

Gigs, well let's say we ask for $1000 a show, that's still less than some of the cover bands ask. I know some top cover bands that get up to $5000 a show. That would be very fucking nice!

Most bands would be getting a door cut (us included on the odd occasion) and if you get $1 - $2 from the door, you'd be looking at anywhere from $200 to $600, depending on the turn out for a local show.

So yeah, like everyone said - you gotta do it 'cos you love it. It's only when you take it to the next level along that you start to be doing OK and we're a little way off of that yet.

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old April 25th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Goreripper
Metal as fuck

I remember I gave Dungeon $30 after a gig once. Once I'd paid for the PA, there was $120 left, so I split with evenly with the three bands that played. One of them was from Melbourne.

"Atheism is the arrogant belief that the world was not created simply for our benefit."
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #25 (permalink)
Metallic Progressor

Quote:
I don't have any other source of income other than the band right now and I'm eating like 2 minute noodles for dinner every night! (not quite, but you get the idea).
Jesus Christ dude, even for you to joke like that makes me feel sad and dissapointed that the best Aussie metal band doesnt get much money.

1000 is not much dude, not much at all. You should be getting easy 5000 per show. Eminem the wigger got 1 million per show in Australia i remember hearing.

Tim there is always one way to make money.

"In The Dungeon with Lord Tim"
Think about it HAHAHAHHA