LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #3576 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

Good way to alienate your target market there, EB!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #3577 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

The Battlefield 3 beta is now done and dusted. What did everyone think of it?

My initial reaction was pretty bland to be honest. Playing it first on Xbox was a horrid experience. Continuous lag and glitches didn't really make for a very enjoyable experience, moreso when you couldn't even join a working server for the first week.

However, my feelings changed dramatically once I played the PC version. Dedicated servers, better graphics and somewhat balanced players made for a more enjoyable experience. Getting to play the PC only exclusive map to the beta, Caspian Border was pretty awesome. Getting to pilot a fighter jet in a 64 player map was hilariously good fun, albeit impossible to fly...much the same with the attack helicopter.

In comparison to graphics the PC wins hands down, but only if you really care about seeing minor cracks in walls and a few extra stones on the ground. It's nothing that will really get you up in arms, but I found it odd that the console version of Cyrsis 2 is near ultra/high specs in comparison to its PC counterpart. Why can't they do the same with BF3?

Oddly enough the PS3 version actually looks like the better alternative compared to Xbox360. When I was playing the Xbox360 version there was a lot of textures missing. Check out the video below and make your own choice.

Regardless of the minor graphical set backs the game is amazing to play. Controls are responsive and fluid once you immerse yourself into the game. Playing it for the first time will frustrate you surely, but after a couple of rounds I'm sure your tune will change quite quickly. I'm really looking forward to playing the other multiplayer maps that are included with the limited edition version of the game.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #3578 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

The new Hitman, Absolution looks amazing.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Old October 13th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #3579 (permalink)
TROOPER MICK

the ending of rAge sucks totally dissapointed
Old October 15th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #3580 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

I have to admit. I'm not entirely sold on Rage at the moment. Sure the graphics looks good (in some parts), but the game reminds me to much of Borderlands and Fallout: New Vegas. I'd much prefer to have the RPG elements included than just a straight forward shooter. It's not a terrible game, it just seems to be missing something.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Old October 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #3581 (permalink)
Robotman
Gun Kata

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_tooth_grin View Post
I have to admit. I'm not entirely sold on Rage at the moment. Sure the graphics looks good (in some parts), but the game reminds me to much of Borderlands and Fallout: New Vegas. I'd much prefer to have the RPG elements included than just a straight forward shooter. It's not a terrible game, it just seems to be missing something.
Spot on - although based on that I'm actually enjoying it. Love the AI so far; really great controls for both cars and guns. Just arrived at Wellsprings.

Old October 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #3582 (permalink)
cowboy

Started playing Space Marine last night - absolutely loving it so far!! Very well crafted game, and the weaponry is awesome.
Old October 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #3583 (permalink)
Robotman
Gun Kata

I'm looking forward to Skyrim too. Pre-ordered it over the weekend.

Trying to avoid Heroes VI as I'll just eat that up.

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #3584 (permalink)
Shadow298
UNLEASH THE GUAN

Batman: Arkham City has broken street date so you can buy it now.

Will have to wait until it's cheaper but am putting the collector's edition of Zelda: the Skyward Sword on order tomorrow.

Ego futurus. ut est totus

Latin for "I Exist. That Is All"

For 'geektastic' material, subscribe to these: @andthegeekshall
http://andthegeekshallinherit.tumblr.com/
http://andthegeekshall.wordpress.com/
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #3585 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
Spot on - although based on that I'm actually enjoying it. Love the AI so far; really great controls for both cars and guns. Just arrived at Wellsprings.
Don't get me wrong. It's a fantastic looking game with decent gameplay, but I feel as though its been done before. I think the only thing keeping this game afloat is the art direction.

Seriously though. What is with John Carmack and making games which need rigs from the future? This is like Doom 3 all over again.

Are you running it in DirectX11 on ultra mode, Gary?

People seem to be having problems running the game with both ATi and Nvidia cards. I may wait til they release a couple more patches before purchasing it on PC.

There is plenty coming out which will keep me occupied until then...Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Batman: Arkham City, Battlefield 3 and MW3.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Old October 17th, 2011, 04:36 AM   #3586 (permalink)
Robotman
Gun Kata

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. It's a fantastic looking game with decent gameplay, but I feel as though its been done before. I think the only thing keeping this game afloat is the art direction.
I half agree with you. Yes, it's been done before, and whilst I'm not really far through the game (I'm just about to jump into it now before Media Watch comes on), it seems to be really streamlined in what it does do - and that's what I want.

Quote:
Seriously though. What is with John Carmack and making games which need rigs from the future? This is like Doom 3 all over again.
The disagree part - at least they're out there pushing. At least with any PC game they're not running with stale 3-4 year old tech like the consoles. I look at cross platform dev and when I look at it on PC all I see are the console parts (not in gameplay but in graphics). I don't want blocky shit. I want them to push and to push hard (as long as scaleability is built in). I haven't played a console since Colecovision back in bloody 83 or whenever it was out but from what I see of the consoles today they're currently a bottleneck for what I want game developers to be developing. I'm surprised the turnaround cycle of console releases is so far apart. It does make sense. So it's good to see companies like id doing this. When the next lot of consoles come out the PC will take a backstep - now the PC is out front with a lot of this stuff.

Quote:
Are you running it in DirectX11 on ultra mode, Gary?
Most definitely. I did the 1 gb patch update and running nvidia 580 it's running perfectly. A mate on a decent rig as well is running ati and his having an awful lot of problems with the rendering. I haven't seen that on mine - only on the main intro screen. The rest of the game is smooth as.

Last edited by Robotman : October 17th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.
Old October 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #3587 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

You have a great point about pushing PC gaming boundaries. I guess I'm just being cynical because I can't afford to run the game properly until I get a new job. lol!

Don't get me wrong though. I think John Carmack is a pioneer when it comes to modern day gaming. I mean if it weren't for him we wouldn't have Doom, Heretic, Wolfenstein and all the modern day shooters to go with the genre like Modern Warfare & Battlefield, among others.

Some of them are just minor filler of course, but no doubt Rage plays and looks amazing compared to most modern shooters....more of the latter though.

I need to upgrade to an ATi 6980 with some more RAM. To be honest though, I'm getting a little bored of console games. After seeing Battlefield 3 and Rage in high spec mode its really made me think twice about owning a console.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Last edited by black_tooth_grin : October 19th, 2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:22 AM   #3588 (permalink)
TROOPER MICK

i take it that everyone is busy playing Battlefield to be posting in here,..........*goes back playing to Battlefield*
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:55 AM   #3589 (permalink)
Shadow298
UNLEASH THE GUAN

Just been playing the life out of the new Batman game: Arkham City.

If you liked the last one, you'll love this one.
Lots of the same with improvements but some of the same frustrations with stupid camera angels and touchy controls as well as impact glitches.

Highly recommended still.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:33 AM   #3590 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

I know I'm way behind the times but...

I gave Crysis a spin last night. It feels more linear than Far Cry (Haven't played Far Cry 2). The suit (in particular chameleon mode) is way too powerful. I could switch it on, rise up from concealment pop off a Korean or two then prone, rinse and repeat without too much danger of being kilt- early stages yet and I’m playing on “Hard” (not Delta which is the maximum difficulty... hard is a level above default difficulty). I have a precision rifle but I ran it out of ammo before realising that the baddies were going to keep on respawning until I had completed the objective: rescued the hostage and taken out the tanks.

There is a lot of sneaking up on guys and shooting them in the head with silenced machine guns in single shot mode though

Graphics are ok- I might try putting all the settings up from High to Ultra tonight and see if my machine croaks. There were no noticeable problems on High + 4x AA.

Last edited by bsercombe : November 2nd, 2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old November 4th, 2011, 01:28 AM   #3591 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsercombe View Post
I know I'm way behind the times but...

I gave Crysis a spin last night. It feels more linear than Far Cry (Haven't played Far Cry 2). The suit (in particular chameleon mode) is way too powerful. I could switch it on, rise up from concealment pop off a Korean or two then prone, rinse and repeat without too much danger of being kilt- early stages yet and I’m playing on “Hard” (not Delta which is the maximum difficulty... hard is a level above default difficulty). I have a precision rifle but I ran it out of ammo before realising that the baddies were going to keep on respawning until I had completed the objective: rescued the hostage and taken out the tanks.

There is a lot of sneaking up on guys and shooting them in the head with silenced machine guns in single shot mode though

Graphics are ok- I might try putting all the settings up from High to Ultra tonight and see if my machine croaks. There were no noticeable problems on High + 4x AA.
The suit is even more powerful in the second game, moreso with the addition of upgrades. However, its a little more balanced because you can't get the best upgrades til the final levels.

Upgrade the gaming firmware so you can max out the graphics. Compared to Crysis 2 it still looks pretty good. I found Crysis more enjoyable because of its open world. I hate when games force you to go down a liner path. It really ruins the experience of the game. I find it more satisfying blowing a hole in a wall to get to enemy position than continually getting cheap deaths from awkwardly positioned enemies.

I'm seriously in love with Battlefield 3. Been getting some great matches of late thanks to the games new dedicated server. I'm a little hesitant to purchase Modern Warfare 3, but I'm sure I'll give it a go.

I picked up Drake Fortune 3 today. Only just finished the first level and its as enjoyable, if not more than the previous installments. I have yet to try online, but I hear its pretty good. May just finish Drake Fortune 3 and swap it for Modern Warfare 3 next week.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Old November 4th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #3592 (permalink)
Shadow298
UNLEASH THE GUAN

Finished the new Batman's main story in 6 days but still have the hundreds of Riddler stuff left to get through as well as the other minor side quests.

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #3593 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

Well Crysis was disgustingly easy until I got to the VTOL levels. The VTOLs handle like shit and trying to nail 5-6 large armoured enemies before they shred you with shards of ice is practically impossible- particularly for a ground-pounder like me. I'm going to have to dumb it down to easy and hope there aren't too many more VTOL missions.

By disgustingly easy I mean it is entirely possible to keep pretty much out of "real" detection range of your enemies (very few have precision rifles), put your weapon on single shot and take them all out with headshots using the assault scope before they can really make much progress hunting you down. Even the enemies in nanosuits with miniguns only take a pop or three from the Gauss gun after you have taken out all the unarmoured guys. At the very worst you can use the chameleon effect and can get right up to them, pop one then prone behind cover before the others see you, wait until the suit power recharges and then repeat the process.

Then again, if you have just come fresh from fighting level 50 humans on BFBC2 pretty much any AI is going to look like a smacktard.

Last edited by bsercombe : November 7th, 2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3594 (permalink)
cro4eva

What a game BF3 is, got the Razer Imperator, it has improved my game heaps. I think I will pass on Modern Warfare, BF3 provides me team death matches plus tanks and jets.

And Skyrim tomorrow. Can't wait to see what that looks like on PC.

Armada: "Millions are spent for a pair of feet,
Football became the wall street,
We are ultras, the last spirit of fallen football."
Old March 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #3595 (permalink)
Shadow298
UNLEASH THE GUAN

Picked up Mass Effect 3 yesterday.

Very good for the most part and the 11 or so hours that I've played.
For a game all about saving Earth and the rest of the universe, it starts off pretty slowly and am a bit miffed that can't use some of my favourite previous team mates.
Other technical issues including the usual bad interfaces (bringing back some from the 1st game but making them work a little better) and the fact that it for some reason won't allow you to transfer character faces from both ME1 and 2 (but will if a 2 only character).

But is still a very good game and you can forgive a lot if you are a series fan like I am.

Old April 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3596 (permalink)
cowboy

Game sale on at Dick Smith at the moment. Some ridiculous bargains if you are *VERY* lucky to find them in store.

But they also have 30% off all normal price games and accessories - so I grabbed a new wireless 360 controller for a STEAL.

Silver wireless 360 controller with charge and play kit - RRP $99.95
Dick Smith price $89.95
Minus 30% off = $62.96

AND Microsoft have a cash back promotion running, cash rebate of 20% of the RRP, which means I'll get $20 back from Microsoft

so $42.96 for a controller that has an RRP of $100. SCORE.
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #3597 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

The Dicksmith sale is great. I picked up Infamous 2 and Rage on PS3 for $20 each. A week earlier I got Sega Dreamcast Collection on Xbox360 and Fifa 11 on PS3. $10 for the two.

Microsoft have a scheme running at the moment to score 300 MS points. Click on the link below to find out more. Valid til the end of April.
http://rewards.xbox.com/triple-play-offer/

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #3598 (permalink)
Robotman
Gun Kata

Anwar --- if you find Batman Arkham City for under 20 for PC can you pick it up for me? Considering you're a bum who just games all day --- figured you'd be the perfect person to help me hahah..

Just finished Alan Wake on the PC - awesome stuff. Heard some negatives and whilst there are, totally absorbing game with so-so game play.

Now on to Mass Effect 3. and have to complete Skyrim too (70 hours + into it)

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #3599 (permalink)
cowboy

Finished off Assassins Creed:Revelations last night. While it was not exactly 'revealing' it was great fun. Really hanging out for AC 3 now!!

Will probably finish off Space Marine tonite - also a fun romp. Then after that I too will be heading into Mass Effect 3
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3600 (permalink)
black_tooth_grin
www.anwarrizk.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
Anwar --- if you find Batman Arkham City for under 20 for PC can you pick it up for me? Considering you're a bum who just games all day --- figured you'd be the perfect person to help me hahah..

Just finished Alan Wake on the PC - awesome stuff. Heard some negatives and whilst there are, totally absorbing game with so-so game play.

Now on to Mass Effect 3. and have to complete Skyrim too (70 hours + into it)
I'll see how I go, Gary. I'm playing through Alan Wake at the moment. Finished it when it first came out on Xbox360 but recently playing Silent Hill has reignited my love for survival horror games.

Speaking of which, I've heard Silent Hill: Downpour has been getting some average reviews. I wasn't expecting much to begin with since the original Japanse team who worked on the first 4 games aren't apart of the new team anymore.

I'm sure once it goes down in price I'll get myself a copy. I'm looking forward to Silent Hill HD Collection as well. Only gripe, its not really a collection when its only Silent Hill 2 & 3. Where is Silent Hill and Silent Hill 4: The Room? Yeah I know they did Shattered Memories, but that was so-so.

Now that the resurgence pack is available for free on Mass Effect 3. I can finally get around to finishing the game.

Supporting Aussie Metal
www.metalobsession.net

Last edited by black_tooth_grin : April 12th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.