LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:11 AM   #1351 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Haha. Here's hoping it's out in time for Saxon
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:32 AM   #1352 (permalink)
Aussie_Metalchild
Lil Aussie Headbanger

Haha keep dreaming mate

http://www.lord.net.au
http://www.facebook.com/lordofficial
http://www.youtube.com/user/LORDofficial
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #1353 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Argh! Yeah, no chance!

LORD: website .
UM forum . MySpace .Facebook . YouTube

NEW ALBUM "DIGITAL LIES" OUT NOW!

I don't ever want to be
Someone else untrue to me
Just a parody
And be a 2D person in a 3D world
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #1354 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Shot down-twice haha!
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1355 (permalink)
AdamS
Biggest LORD fan EVER

Hey there,

I had a quick question about song writing. I'm trying to write some stuff, music, and was wondering if you could give me some advice.

When you're writing the music for a song, do you first come up with a melody first and from there figure out what chords to back it with? Or do you do what a lot of other guitar players have told me to do, which is just play a bunch of stuff and see what sticks?

I'm just trying to figure out what the best way to go about writing, because the way I've gone about it so far sucks hardcore.

Thanks much!

- Adam
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #1356 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Hmmm... I was trying to have a look around the forum 'cos I'm sure I've answered this before (in this thread even, perhaps?) but I couldn't find it. Oh well!

Basically, it's whatever happens first. 80% of the time I tend to come up with the rhythm/riffs first and then work out a melody and then the lyrics to suit that (and then that dynamically changes as the song progresses - sometimes the rhythm ends up entirely different after everything else is added to it, but that's the catalyst that inspires the "important" bit I want to keep), other times I have a great melody and I have to work out what to put behind it, or I come up with a cool lyric that I stash away until I have a vehicle to use it in. Sometimes I get everything all at once and it's a fucking awesome feeling - everything just comes together amazingly quickly and it's very magical.

I can't really give you any formula to do this stuff other than to record everything you do and don't think too much about what's right or wrong. It's important to know theory so you have a map to attaining what you're going for, but when you're writing and not really having anything in particular in mind, it's important not to let any theory dictate what you should and shouldn't play. Sometimes the best ideas are "wrong" (in reality, there's no wrong, but if you're thinking "ah, this song is in E minor and suddenly I'm playing a G# over a place where there should be a G, then it's wrong in the context of sticking to that scale but right if you think outside the box and you realise you've modulated to E Ionian over that particular place. But then, if you're thinking about that, are you being creative or trying to be clever for clever's sake? That's what I'm getting at - just let the ideas come until you know what you want to do specifically and then rely on your theory to get you there).

Don't be scared to record yourself humming ideas over your riffs. You're not thinking of scales then, just melodies. Don't be scared to borrow ideas from other bands to a degree too. There's NOTHING new anymore, just different interpretations of it.

Probably the best advice is don't force it. If you're not feeling it, people will be able to tell.

Hope that helps!

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM   #1357 (permalink)
AdamS
Biggest LORD fan EVER

Oh man, that helps a lot actually! Thank you!

Next time I have a question I'll read through the forum first to make sure you haven't already answered it! Sorry about that man and thanks again!
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:13 AM   #1358 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Well, I couldn't find it if I did, so it's all good!

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:17 AM   #1359 (permalink)
AdamS
Biggest LORD fan EVER

Alright.

Thanks again LT, this really does help me out a lot. You rock man!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:27 PM   #1360 (permalink)
Acey Jendell
Jonesey

Hey LT, do you know of any guitarists that play sweep arpeggios based on triads that just contain the root note of a root 5th power chord over said chord with no actual knowledge of what particular scale or mode that it comes from, and just using the knowledge that they have, say a G note in there as a guide?

Because i'm only just starting to learn some more advanced sweeping stuff with patterns with really long names and it's confusing as hell trying to find the right shape to play over my rhythm parts because alot of it is just E pedal tones that hit what seem to be random power chords without sticking to a specific scale, kind of like Slayer and Anthrax type stuff.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM   #1361 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

I'm sure plenty of guys do, and probably people like KK Downing and Glenn Tipton - have a listen to the sweeps they do on Painkiller (and some limited stuff they did as far back as Turbo), it's not your usual 'guitar shred hero' type sweeping.

At the end of the day, sweeping as such is just an effect - what notes you hit it entirely up to you, be it arpeggios or you're doing "economy picking" across a scale like Frank Gambale does, etc. If you don't want to play root-3-5 style arpeggios over anything, don't!

What I would recommend though is to work out if those "random" power chords are based on any particular scale, though, so you're able to apply a little more knowledge behind what you put over it. At the end of the day, you might find you're modulating from scale to scale even in the middle of a bar, but if you can find a pattern of chords that repeats and can work out the scale that's most appropriate to fit over that part of the progression, you'll know better what to fit over the top. And of course, on the other hand, sometimes going "fuck this, you know what sounds good over this? This here dive bomb and chromatic based noodling" where the scale is almost irrelevant - it's the attitude and the intent of the scale rather than a specific theoretical purpose to it.

I guess what I'm saying here is that if you're worried about working stuff out a lot, work out the chords and apply the theory. If not, don't worry about it. If it sounds good/appropriate, it IS good and that goes for any shapes you may want to use for a sweep idea too.

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #1362 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

Ok, Heard of www.pandora.com? Worth chasing (or is it even possible ) to get Lord on there given your present label affiliations?

Some details:

Q: What is Pandora?

Pandora is a music discovery service designed to help you enjoy music you already know, and to help you discover new music you'll love. It's powered by the most comprehensive analysis of music ever undertaken, the Music Genome Project: a crazy project started back in early 2000 to capture the complex musical DNA of songs using a large team of highly-trained musicians. Just tell us one of your favorite songs or artists and we'll launch a streaming station to explore that part of the musical universe.

Q: How are artists paid when Pandora plays their music?

At Pandora we believe strongly that artists and songwriters deserve to be compensated whenever their music is performed. We pay licensing fees to SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI and SESAC for all music that is played on Pandora. These payments ultimately go to the performing artists, songwriters, and record labels. If you are an artist whose music is played on Pandora, you'll want to make sure that you register with SoundExchange so that you'll be paid for the performance of your songs on Pandora and all other Internet radio services. Also, we would suggest contacting Amazon.com to arrange for your music to be sold on their site. We get our album art from Amazon, so this will allow Pandora to display your unique album art when we play your music. And as a side benefit, your sales are likely to increase.

Q: What happens when I give a "Thumbs Up" / Thumbs down / Skip

[bsercombe edit] You are tuning the station to your music preferences. Not having used it I don't know if this is your personal station or if multiple people tune one station or how the hell it works. Perhaps Adams might have a go at it for us and report back if you are interested.
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1363 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.pandora.com
Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.
I reckon there's a lot of other options out there that will be available to all listeners. And also, at present, we're at the mercy of our labels as to what we can do with assigning rights, so we'll have to pass on that one, unfortunately.

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #1364 (permalink)
harrisbass
Ignorant Plucker

Question for you LT:

Who does the voice-over at the end of 220 on Ascendence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erno @ Bash.org
I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #1365 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

The engineer (the "OK, let's do a take" guy) was Adam Jordan from Main Street Studios, the "what?!" was me, the "dude are you serious" was TY and the "HAHA you're joking" and "get him!" was Andy. The bottles that were knocked over at the end were played by Harrison Ford and Richard Dean Anderson.

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #1366 (permalink)
Pate

That part always gives me a good chuckle.
Old May 26th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #1367 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Believe it or not, the hardest bit was to get the bottles being knocked over to sound right! HAHA!

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old May 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #1368 (permalink)
Aussie_Metalchild
Lil Aussie Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tim View Post
The bottles that were knocked over at the end were played by Harrison Ford and Richard Dean Anderson.
HAHAHA

Yeah, those were beer bottles that TY, and myself had polished off in the studio

http://www.lord.net.au
http://www.facebook.com/lordofficial
http://www.youtube.com/user/LORDofficial
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:19 PM   #1369 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

On a different note- why did you pick 300 as the number of lifetimes ago in curse of the pharaoh?
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:02 AM   #1370 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Tutankhamun lived around 1300 BC, which is about 3000 years ago. I worked out an optimistic lifetime for a person was about 100 years and added it all up and came to 300 lifetimes. ... Can we all see the flaw in this? Clearly I can't do maths properly and that was entirely wrong! HAHAHA! So I'm just accepting it that the death rate was FAR earlier (like 10 years old) back in ancient Egypt and it all adds up in the end. ..... right? HAHA!

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #1371 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

The main point is- it sounds cool! Who cares about the math??

And you're right there... over all those thousands of years there would be a LOT of people who died at birth or a very young age.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #1372 (permalink)
Taberah
Jonathon B

I'm filling in a custom shop form at the b music site just to get an idea of whats the ball park price of my all time dream guitar, and i was wondering what sort of bridge to get, I want a whammy bar and I wish to be able to do huge dive bombs and all kinds of wanky shit with it, but there are so many choices! which one would you recommend?
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #1373 (permalink)
Pate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tim View Post
Tutankhamun lived around 1300 BC, which is about 3000 years ago. I worked out an optimistic lifetime for a person was about 100 years and added it all up and came to 300 lifetimes. ... Can we all see the flaw in this? Clearly I can't do maths properly and that was entirely wrong! HAHAHA! So I'm just accepting it that the death rate was FAR earlier (like 10 years old) back in ancient Egypt and it all adds up in the end. ..... right? HAHA!
It wouldn't be near as cool if it was "30 lifetimes ago"
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #1374 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Damn right! HAHA!

Jono - get an original Floyd. Stable, sound great and easy to get replacement parts for if you wear it out.

I don't ever want to be
Just a parody
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1375 (permalink)
Taberah
Jonathon B

legend