LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #26 (permalink)
cro4eva

Try updating your driver.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:14 AM   #27 (permalink)
powerfromhell
Gayo

Hi!
My computer keeps randomly turning off, and sometimes randomly restarts but more just turns off, and before it happens it makes this weird clicking noise.... will it eventually blow up ? :|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:15 AM   #28 (permalink)
outrageous
METAL MAIDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormster
Uh, i dunno how to fix it because you might need cd drivers, your cd drive might just be stuffed, or cables might be lose/not working properly.
I'm pretty sure my computer has been cursed from the start The annoying thing is that it only happens on a few CDs. Could it be that it can't read them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro4eva
Try updating your driver.
What does that involve?

I come to you in the night
I am your dark subconscious
I keep you awake, knowing
I am the heart of darkness

myspace

I guess most guys are saying 'the skyline's my wife, the supra's that chick I met at the bar'
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
cro4eva

To do that go to "My Computer" Right click on your cd drive, select "properties". Again "properties" ( in the new window), then it should open a new window and have the tab "driver". In this tab it has update driver.

Select Install software automaticcly and it should update it, should it be available. If this doesn't work you may need to roll back the driver but you need the disk for that.

Last edited by cro4eva : August 15th, 2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #30 (permalink)
cro4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfromhell
Hi!
My computer keeps randomly turning off, and sometimes randomly restarts but more just turns off, and before it happens it makes this weird clicking noise.... will it eventually blow up ? :|
This happened to Jaydes computer, and I suggested getting a new power supply And it fixed her problem. Not always the case.

Last edited by cro4eva : August 15th, 2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
MeKaChrOme
:-)

Quote:
To do that go to "My Computer" Right click on your cd drive, select "properties". Again "properties" ( in the new window), then it should open a new window and have the tab "driver". In this tab it has update driver.

Select Install software automaticcly and it should update it, should it be available. If this doesn't work you may need to roll back the driver but you need the disk for that.
Either that or get the model number of the drive (it should be listed in the properties thing as mentioned above) and go to the manufacturers website and see if there are new drivers... Or get the model # and google it but add 'driver' into the search term
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Quote:
Hi!
Yes.

But I agree with the other guys, I reckon it's either a faulty power supply or your CPU fan is siezing and you're getting errors.

I'd do what I suggested about turning off automatic restarts earlier so you can see what your computer does when it shits itself.

Sam - I don't think it's a driver thing. The same thing happened to Karyn's DVD drive. I'd first try unplugging and repugging the ribbon cable going into the CD drive and see if that helps. That worked for a while with Karyn's but it took a whole new cable to fix it (although it's still a little flakey - I suspect the drive itself is a bit dodgy).

LORD: Website .
UM forum . Facebook . YouTube

LATEST ALBUM "DIGITAL LIES" OUT NOW!

I don't ever want to be
Someone else untrue to me
Just a parody
And be a 2D person in a 3D world
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #33 (permalink)
cro4eva

My question, the best I could describe.

When I listen to Windows Media Player the song sounds fine but than I go to open up Guitar Pro and play it, but it seems these two programs can not run together. What happens is all the sound on my computer sounds like it is been stretched (if it was a record) and the tempo slows right down. This seems to only happen when I have a Audio format open and a midi format open, what can be the problem and what can I do to fix this.

This question is more for recording. I put a click onto cubase, but every time, at about 3 or 4 bars in the tempo will jump than return to normal in the bar after. I have had this problem even when I have tried to move recordings a bar forward. Any idea what is happening?

Last one. When I set up anything to recored in Midi it only works when I set it up on Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, which I believe to be the motherboards sound card, and not my phase 22 midi, which does not work when I select it. Again what is happening is my sound card just not installed properly or are the two sound guards locking each other out. Becuase I disabled the on board sound card before I installed the Phase 22 sound card.

I hope this is clear.

Last edited by cro4eva : August 15th, 2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #34 (permalink)
FerretallicA
HMAS Slagdestroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptor
What's the best, or better, brands to look for when it comes to external hard drives of around 300gb?
Everyone has different experiences but for my 2c-

Bottom of the barrel = Maxtor (ie- Quantum) = don't bother. Better off using a DVD-RW for a hard drive, you'll get about the same reliability. 4 out of 4 Maxtor/Quantum drives I've owned (2x13Gb, 20Gb, 40Gb) all died within months of their warranty expiring.

Best = Seagate. I have a 4.3Gb drive I'm using in my file server which I've had for about... fuck... nearly 10 years?... and it's still going strong. My main PC has 2x60Gb, 1x120Gb and 1x200Gb Seagate drives which I've never had a single problem with either, hence my recent 2x320Gb purchases were both Seagates.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that if your hard drive fails in any way it's not the loss of the drive itself which sucks most. Consider the value of the information you have stored on it. The 10% or so difference in price between a cheaper (Samsung, Maxtor) and better (Seagate, Western Digital) drive is more than worth it for peace of mind... I consider it an insurance premium.

The only time I would recommend going for a cheaper drive is when you're going to run a redundant RAID set-up, but if you have the money for that you probably won't care too much about saving $50 or so.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #35 (permalink)
FerretallicA
HMAS Slagdestroyer

Quote:
My question, the best I could describe.

[truncated]

I hope this is clear.
Fucking hell, how old is your computer
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Darkstone
Darkstone Media Owner

I asked LT this, but wouldn't mind getting a few second opinions.. I'm considering buying this.. Can't get much better could it for that price?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Video-Editor-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old August 16th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

Do it.

Bargin.
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
cro4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretallicA
Fucking hell, how old is your computer
3 maybe 4 years, not quite sure. It is still a good computer and capable of doing lots. This is the only problem I have with it.
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #39 (permalink)
demented_broomstick

Quote:
Hi!
It probably has narcalepsy (narcolepsy, I have no idea how to spell it, I fell asleep when I was looking it up.)
Old August 16th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
JausmetalJ
Call Me James

HAHAHAHA, Fuckin good call!!

LONG LIVE DUNGEON!

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:51 PM   #41 (permalink)
Stormster
Somewhere Far Beyond

Josip i have a 600mhz pentium down the coast and it cant play guitar pro because its so slow, and i remember having alot of ram in that one.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #42 (permalink)
MeKaChrOme

Awesome, got a "Machine_Check_exception" error, suggesting a hardware fault somewhere along the line, correct? ANy tips on how to narrow it down?? I suspected it was one of the hard drives, so I unplugged it. Got some luck - the computer stayed on for about double the time. But still it restarted again, so hmm
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
TheDenimRager
Hats make things better.

People should post more information about their computers when they ask a question.

-~~~-
I care not though I live but a day,
If my name and my fame are a power forever.

-~~~-
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #44 (permalink)
cro4eva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormster
Josip i have a 600mhz pentium down the coast and it cant play guitar pro because its so slow, and i remember having alot of ram in that one.
There is no problem with playing programs or anything. It is jsut when midi is played in one area and audio in another it makes it go all weird.

I was wondering weather it was set up correct or not.
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #45 (permalink)
flip`
Your mother was a hamster

Bandwidth tester: (if anyone is interested)

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php

Mine is around 5.4-5.6mpbs, yay for cable.

Phideaux - Micro Softdeathstar

Last edited by flip` : August 17th, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old August 17th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #46 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

Your current bandwidth reading is:

6.75 Mbps

which means you can download at 864.21 KB/sec. from our servers.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
FerretallicA
HMAS Slagdestroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeKaChrOme
Awesome, got a "Machine_Check_exception" error, suggesting a hardware fault somewhere along the line, correct? ANy tips on how to narrow it down?? I suspected it was one of the hard drives, so I unplugged it. Got some luck - the computer stayed on for about double the time. But still it restarted again, so hmm
+1 to what DeadSkinMask said... when posting technical questions, unless you're absolutely sure it's irrelevant you should also include at a bare minimum the operating system and basic hardware config.

Machine_Check_Exception is a pretty hard-core BSOD error. It's extremely unlikely to be your hard drive because Windows usually handles hard drive errors differently. The only times I've ever seen it were when people have overclocked their PCs with no real idea what the're doing, consequently fucking their RAM and/or CPU. Regardless of whether you've been overclocking or not, you've got a pretty serious problem with at least one critical component of your PC and should take the whole thing to a proper technician. Or, if you have compatible spare parts sitting around and a lot of free time, you could try swapping out the CPU/mobo/RAM/powersupply one by one and isolate it that way but the average person doesn't have those kind of things just sitting around gathering dust. There's no easy generic fix, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a "post your connection speed" wanking thread now.

Last edited by FerretallicA : August 17th, 2006 at 11:37 PM.
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip`

http://www.exetel.com.au/speed/meter.php

Mine is around 5.4-5.6mpbs, yay for cable.
1758.4 kbps (at work )
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #49 (permalink)
MeKaChrOme

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretallicA
+1 to what DeadSkinMask said... when posting technical questions, unless you're absolutely sure it's irrelevant you should also include at a bare minimum the operating system and basic hardware config.
Cheers, usually I do post all the details, 'cept i was in a rush this time In any case, it does appear to be one of the hard drives - I've been running a couple of days with that drive unplugged, no problem at all... On top of that, other evidence pointed to the hard drive failing to power up once it entered sleep mode..... Good thing it isnt' my system drive
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:58 AM   #50 (permalink)
serenesorrow
Asian Woman

Read it and weep chaps.

Your current bandwidth reading is:

35.00kbps

which means you can download at 4.38 KB/sec. from our servers.