LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1351 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Cheers Tim. I'll try get onto it tomorrow when I have the time available. Damn December...
Old December 14th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #1352 (permalink)
pipsqeek
Musical Delinquent

The Ultimate Boot CD has drive tools for each manufacturer. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Keep the HDD on rather than turn it off. Trust me. HDD's that stay on outlast ones that get turned off and on all the time. Back up your data to an external HDD or equal or greater size.

I use a Linux tool called dd from the command line. Simple and clones HDD's byte for byte.

Not sure what HDD cloning tools there are for Windows.

Good luck
pips

Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s - http://www.venganza.org/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 14th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #1353 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

dd is on knoppix so you could (download and burn) a knoppix disk, boot with it and clone your HDD, then plug in the cloned HDD and do a diskcheck under windoze.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1354 (permalink)
pipsqeek
Musical Delinquent

dd is on every linux distro, it's a standard command line tool. Which is why I didn't specify a particular distribution.

Global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s - http://www.venganza.org/
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM   #1355 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

If I was to buy a new computer, would I be better off going through someone like Dell, or a smaller local retailer?

Old December 21st, 2007, 02:13 AM   #1356 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

Depends- the key thing you get from the "big brands" is a lengthier warranty period. Make no mistake, you often pay for it too. So if you go for your local retailer you will likely get a cheaper machine upfront but only a 12 month warranty. If you go for the Dells/IBMs/HPs of this world you can get 3 or even 5 years warranty.

If you're computer savvy and able to diagnose / install / repair yourself then you might consider the cheaper option. If anything goes wrong you can fix it yourself. This does not tend to hold true for laptops- you generally want to get a good long warranty with those.

If you're buying a desktop (which I assume is the case from what you wrote) going with a name brand might make it harder to upgrade more than the simple components later on. I'm thinking motherboard/power supply specifically here as a lot of those machines have non-standard gear. So if the Mb fails out of warranty you can keep the RAM, CPU and drives but have to chuck the rest becasue it will be hard to get a replacement Mb or PSU that fits in the case (unless you can get one 2nd hand). Lately upgrading the PSU has been necessry to deal with ever-power-hungrier graphics cards.

The other thing I notice is that the Dells, HPs and IBMs of this world at the moment do not have offerings which include the latest CPUs. If you want a dual core the fastest you can get from them is often 2.4Ghz. If you go to a small shop or build yourself you can get 3.3 Ghz now. It'll cost 'ya though!
Old December 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM   #1357 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

Also too, they give you "recovery" disks rather than proper installations of XP or Vista. They come pre-loaded with heaps of junk and they are absolutely NOT recommended for any audio or video work if you plan to do that kind of thing.

LORD: Website .
UM forum . Facebook . YouTube

LATEST ALBUM "DIGITAL LIES" OUT NOW!

I don't ever want to be
Someone else untrue to me
Just a parody
And be a 2D person in a 3D world
Old December 21st, 2007, 03:09 AM   #1358 (permalink)
Cooee

You guys jinxed my linux box. The HDD corrupted itself and now when I run fsck every 8th sector is showing as corrupt. GRRR.

It puts itself into read only mode and if I try and put it back into rw and do anything (i.e. create a directory) it complains and puts itself back into ro.

Gotta love those DeskStar HDD's eh?
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1359 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

We did this how?
Old December 21st, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1360 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tim View Post
Also too, they give you "recovery" disks rather than proper installations of XP or Vista. They come pre-loaded with heaps of junk and they are absolutely NOT recommended for any audio or video work if you plan to do that kind of thing.
Don't they EVER!! I spend about 1/2 hour these days uninstalling all the crap and disabling services and software I don't want running. You still don't get ALL of it off. Lenovo in their infinite wisdom have installed a "Browser helper object" onto all their images which makes IE7 check a stack of folders- delaying every tab or browser open by OVER 10 seconds.

@$%@ #%@#$%# @%^@ #$%^ 800Mb of Office 2007 "Trial Edition" << WTF?
!#$!#$!@ @#$#@$$# @#$@!#$@ @$$# Symantec Security Suite "Trial Edition" << Massive resource hog
And WTF is it with installing all the Bluetooth system drivers and software when the F***ING LAPTOP DOES NOT HAVE F***ING BLUETOOTH!!!

Last edited by bsercombe : December 21st, 2007 at 04:58 AM.
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:12 AM   #1361 (permalink)
Cooee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsercombe View Post
We did this how?
I was just poking a little fun, however I guess it didn't come across well.

Just that my HDD / filesystem died as such things were being discussed here.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 12:57 AM   #1362 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

Thanks for your responses, fellas. It is a desktop I'm after; I won't be doing a heap of video work, but one of the reasons I want to upgrade is to edit all my holiday videos (currently on mini DV) and put them onto dvds. I've got an XP OEM disk that came with this computer, which I'm likely to put on the new one. I could do without them loading heaps of shit onto a new PC, for I'm going to try to minimise all the crap on it this time round. Hmmm I'm certainly leaning towards buying from a shop around the city somewhere.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1363 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

I'd personally get it custom made.
"I woke up one morning and remembered i'd done a particular task the night before. This was vivid, real, a compelling recollection. I proceeded to continue in this task, where i imagined i'd left off. To my surprise, i hadn't even attempted, let alone undertaken, this particular remembered task. It came crashing back to me, and it was apparent, suddenly, that i had invented the recollection. What was real? Memory is not the reliable source people think it."
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:03 AM   #1364 (permalink)
in_absentia
Aurora Borealis

Everytime i watch a video on the net, or use last.fm radio, my internt disconnects. Does anyone know why that might be and how i can fix it? Btw i use Windows XP Home ed. 32 bit, IE browser (the version before the latest one) and i have Telstra Broadband

Come hither in thy hour of strength;
Come, weak as is a breaking wave!
Here stretch thy body at full length;
Or build thy house upon this grave.

-Wordsworth

www.last.fm/user/in_absentia

www.in-absentia.deviantart.com

Last edited by in_absentia : January 3rd, 2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #1365 (permalink)
Nam Taf

What happens if you download a large file of files.bigpond.com ?

If it does disconnect, it sounsd like the download is saturating your line and stopping anything else (like, the stuff that says 'i'm still connected!') from getting through.
Old January 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1366 (permalink)
sadisticsatyr
Young Apprentice

It may also be firmware on your modem. I had an issue once where downloads would get to 99% and never complete (regardless of source or size)....reverteed to old firmware and all was good
Old January 11th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #1367 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

I installed Windows Media Player 11 recently, and when I play video files the audio plays but no video shows. What might I need to do to fix this?

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #1368 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

You probably need to re-install / install the codecs that a particular type of file requires... I.e. a DVD decoder, or DIVX etc.
"I woke up one morning and remembered i'd done a particular task the night before. This was vivid, real, a compelling recollection. I proceeded to continue in this task, where i imagined i'd left off. To my surprise, i hadn't even attempted, let alone undertaken, this particular remembered task. It came crashing back to me, and it was apparent, suddenly, that i had invented the recollection. What was real? Memory is not the reliable source people think it."
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1369 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

Hmmmm I just installed Cyberlink PowerDVD (I recently formatted my hard drive and am just putting stuff back on now) and the video doesn't show up on that either! What's the best way to find out which codecs are needed, and what's the best place to find them?

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #1370 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

Is there a message on WMP actually saying "codec needed" or "required" or something a long those lines when you play a video file? Because if not, it may be a graphics problem rather than a codec one.
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1371 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

No there isn't actually. Would the graphics card driver need to be reinstalled? According to the invoice I got when I bought the computer it's an "ATI-SAPPHIRE R9250 128M 64bit TVO/DVI". I went to this site to look for drivers: http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/support/drivers.php. However, when I select the 9250 it tells me to "select the appropriate driver from the (baffling) list below". I've got no idea which one.

Just thinking, I first installed Media Player 11 before I formatted my hard drive, and video didn't play then either. It did through other programs though....

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:57 PM   #1372 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

Did you format the HDD with the operating system on it? And all your drivers? Or did you just format a non-OS drive? If you formatted the OS drive, you need to install things like GPU drivers, direct x and stuff like that. BTW, i believe that you want to install the Catalyst drivers from that list.

Last edited by Rick : January 11th, 2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #1373 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

I formatted the OS drive. I wanted to get rid of everything and start afresh, the obvious downside being trying to reinstall everything! Thanks for the Catalyst tip - I installed that and PowerDVD's now working. Media Player isn't though, so it must need something else......it's a bit weird, as the previous version was fine.

How would I find out what GPU drivers I need?

Apologies for all the questions - it's the first time I've done it, so I'm learning as I go.

Old January 12th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #1374 (permalink)
BurningCreation

I recommend installing VLC. See if the video works with that. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:48 AM   #1375 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

The Catalyst drivers cover GPU (by which i basically meany graphics card). VLC is a good idea, it's all i use now becuase it doesn't check that my dvd drive has been locked out of regions. As long as you have up to date catalyst drivers and Direct X, i don't see why WMP is being an arse.