LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake_In_Animosity View Post
I have worked in sales for over 15 years. Some advice, don't do it. I could go on massive spiel on why you should not do it but it would end up as a novel of pure hate. The only reason I am still doing it is because it is now the only thing I know how to without having to take time out to study another field. Daniel if you are serious about a career in sales, let me write the novel first.
Got a picture book version?

It's actually sales for a Building company. I've worked for one before as a customer service bitch, and got to see that it isn't an easy job, and that people can be cunts, but I've also seen some good sales people.

Thanks guys
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:26 AM   #77 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake_In_Animosity View Post
I have worked in sales for over 15 years. Some advice, don't do it.
My advice is if it is what you really yearn to do go for it.

AIA did not like it but it doesn't mean everyone will have the same experience.

It depends on the job, for instance, cold canvassing does take a very determined person with a lot of persuasive skill, someone who can handle rejection.

If your market is ready and waiting then it will be easier, it all depends on what sales role you get.

I'm involved with the estimating department of a company and I find it enjoyable, it's all about quoting a project at the right price for the client and beating your competition. It is tricky though, you can make money and you can lose 'big' money for your company if you don't get it right.

s
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 4th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #78 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Hm, what are some of your favourite excuses for getting time off work (in advance if you can) so that you can attend other job interviews?

I'm in quite a pickle, I've decided to test the waters, but I work for a family friend, so I can't pull the funeral/ doctor/ etc excuses too easily.
Old March 4th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #79 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

Waiting to hear back from this job I "might" find out about today just got a whole lot harder because I've been offered another job. It's nowhere near as good as the one I want, but it's a step up from my current position.

Only problem is... how do I delay accepting the position if I don't find out about this other one today?????
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #80 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial-Todd View Post
how do I delay accepting the position if I don't find out about this other one today?????
This happened to me, you have to be honest and contact both employers.

Tell the "two in the bush" that you have been offered a position and would appreciate an answer as soon as possible - they will understand. If you are worth considering they will tell you to wait a week or so, if you don't stand a chance they will tell you to accept the "bird in the hand".

Contact the "bird in the hand" and tell them that you have another offer and you would like to see if it comes through and if they can hold off for a week or so - they did it for me and I accepted the "two in the bush" as soon as it was offered.

You have to go with what is best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
Hm, what are some of your favourite excuses for getting time off work (in advance if you can) so that you can attend other job interviews?
Arrange the interviews early in the morning/before work, late in the afternoon/after work or around lunch time to get as little time off work as possible and tell them you have to arrive late, leave early or go for extended lunch to take care of bills, finances, car repairs, personal issues, whatever.

I would even take about an hour or so off during morning tea to rush off to recruiters, I returned to finish my work and they didn't bat an eyelid.

s

Last edited by StephenSLR : March 5th, 2008 at 01:28 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #81 (permalink)
TheDenimRager
Hats make things better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial-Todd View Post
Waiting to hear back from this job I "might" find out about today just got a whole lot harder because I've been offered another job. It's nowhere near as good as the one I want, but it's a step up from my current position.

Only problem is... how do I delay accepting the position if I don't find out about this other one today?????
Man, who cares, accept the first job and if you get a better offer, quit after however long! There's a 3 month probation period for a reason, either employer or employee can call the whole thing off at the drop of a hat.

Don't forget that these people probably have a list of 10 people, all of whom have been interviewed and would be adequate for the job, who came in after you in the interview process. You shouldn't feel that if you leave a job after 2 days or whatever that you're causing them some sort of massive trouble, that's a load of crap. If you leave after 2 days, all they have to do is pick up the phone and the #2 guy will be there tomorrow, you know what I mean?

Edit: Oh, BTW Todd, one thing I forgot to say - good luck duuude!

-~~~-
I care not though I live but a day,
If my name and my fame are a power forever.

-~~~-
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #82 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

Well I got a call from the agency guy this arvo (around 6pm). Basically reassuring me that a decision is coming, should have it "first thing in the morning" and told me to be "quietly confident" because he believes I made a great impression *fingers crossed*
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #83 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDenimRager View Post
Man, who cares, accept the first job and if you get a better offer, quit after however long!
This can be ok if you are in an industry that is not tight knit.

You may need to go back to that company one day so best not to burn bridges.

In my game everyone knows everyone so it's always best to be honest.
Employers do realise the circumstances Todd described and any decent company will accomodate.

Did you get the job Todd?

s
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:58 PM   #84 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

Don't know yet

Given the time difference between here and Austria, I'm guessing one of two things has happened.... they haven't decided yet OR they have and I'm not one of them. The agency guy should received notification first thing in the morning
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #85 (permalink)
flip`
Your mother was a hamster

Not sure where to ask this but for people like LT, Pyro and others that are heavily into Multimedia, do you have find that you feel as if, rather concentrating on one thing, you feel like you need/want to do everything? e.g. sound, music, video, web, graphics, design, print etc etc.

Maybe I just can't figure out what exactly I want to do.

Phideaux - Micro Softdeathstar
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:00 AM   #86 (permalink)
Lord Tim
Pitch the banner black

For me it's mostly out of necessity - we either don't have the money or the time to rely on anyone else and sometimes the job just needs to get done. I do also get kind of bored working on the one thing and sometimes when I'm doing some really intense audio stuff, I like to go off and do some Photoshop work or something just to break the monotony of it all.

LORD: Website .
UM forum . Facebook . YouTube

LATEST ALBUM "DIGITAL LIES" OUT NOW!

I don't ever want to be
Someone else untrue to me
Just a parody
And be a 2D person in a 3D world
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #87 (permalink)
Pyro
The guy from the internet

Print-based design is my big passion, the area I have honed my skills most, and what I plan on making the bulk of my living doing, however, in such a competitive industry it is essential to have a wide skill set. (I don't imagine more than 50% of my income will be from print design). It helps that I love to learn. I've dabbled in everything - some areas more than others. This year is my final year of study and I am concentrating on getting my video and flash actionscripting skills up to a decent level, improving photography as well as working at audio skills to a reasonable level.
- Unrestrained! Magazine
- Pyro-Vesten.net (Web & Graphic Design)
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #88 (permalink)
Goreripper
Metal as fuck

Quote:
Tell them you're getting dental work done.

"Atheism is the arrogant belief that the world was not created simply for our benefit."
Old March 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #89 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

I'm currently looking for a job. Considering doing some payed-volunteer work with AVI to get some experience in the meantime, or non payed, i don't really care.
"I woke up one morning and remembered i'd done a particular task the night before. This was vivid, real, a compelling recollection. I proceeded to continue in this task, where i imagined i'd left off. To my surprise, i hadn't even attempted, let alone undertaken, this particular remembered task. It came crashing back to me, and it was apparent, suddenly, that i had invented the recollection. What was real? Memory is not the reliable source people think it."
Old March 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #90 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

Quote:
I use the fact that I've got a pre-exisiting condition (migraines) and just tell them I have to go for "more tests". Used it 4 times and never been questioned..... mind you, I usually arrange my interviews for first thing in the morning or around 5pm to avoid clashing with work as much as I can
Old March 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #91 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreripper View Post
Tell them you're getting dental work done.
Also, they never like to question any bowel related illness.

"Boss, I got this weird green stuff coming out of my.."

"say no more!"

s
Old March 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #92 (permalink)
Celestial-Todd
The Incredible Bulk

haha yeah... the "I've got a bad stomach bug" excuse has saved my arse many a time!

Well I finally got a call back from the agency today.... they want me back for a second interview. This time with the same guy from the company in Austria and his boss.

I guess my test fuck-ups didn't adversely affect me too much

Downside.... it's not until April 1st

Upside.... gives me time to crash-course in Red Hat Linux
Old March 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #93 (permalink)
Goreripper
Metal as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSLR View Post
Also, they never like to question any bowel related illness.

"Boss, I got this weird green stuff coming out of my.."

"say no more!"

s
Yeah, except he wanted to get time off in advance. I'm assuming he wants to tell his boss he needs some days of in a month or so. You can't use the bowel excuse for that. "Boss, I'm going to have a bowel infection in two weeks". "Oh, all right then."

"Atheism is the arrogant belief that the world was not created simply for our benefit."
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:22 AM   #94 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Haha, yeah pretty much.

I don't know, I want to leave this place anyway, so I might just be honest about it. Worst thing that could happen is that I get sent home early/ fired. Not so much of a bad thing when we've jsut been asked to start 5am for a few days and work almost 12 hours.
That wouldn't be bad if I was doing "my job", instead of filling in the tight arsed bosses "needs" so that they don't have to employ another person, which is needed.
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #95 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Well, I have my first interview tomorrow. Not really a glamorous job- pre sales customer service. I've done it before and enjoyed it. Let's hope it goes well. I look forward to wearing decent clothes to work again and air con....oh man, the air con!

Just blasted Paradise to celebrate.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #96 (permalink)
Jet City Woman
The Drumming Monkey

Good luck man!

I'm trying to gain employment too, as I've discovered living in the city and being a uni student is a lethal combination for my fundings.
Now I just have to decide where I want to apply...
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #97 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Thanks. You too. Anywhere in particular you'd like to work? I'm assuming flexible hours would be a must. I remember when I started they said that working at servo's in night shift was good because it allowed for time to study between customers.
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #98 (permalink)
Rick
Senior User

On a related note i'm halfway through my RSA right now... RCG on thurs..
"I woke up one morning and remembered i'd done a particular task the night before. This was vivid, real, a compelling recollection. I proceeded to continue in this task, where i imagined i'd left off. To my surprise, i hadn't even attempted, let alone undertaken, this particular remembered task. It came crashing back to me, and it was apparent, suddenly, that i had invented the recollection. What was real? Memory is not the reliable source people think it."
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:38 AM   #99 (permalink)
Jet City Woman
The Drumming Monkey

Quote:
Thanks. You too. Anywhere in particular you'd like to work? I'm assuming flexible hours would be a must. I remember when I started they said that working at servo's in night shift was good because it allowed for time to study between customers.
I just want weekend work for the moment, and then if they need me on the occasional weekday and it doesn't interfere with uni I can do that too.

I'm thinking maybe JB Hifi or EB Games if they have any places. There's also a few Health Food shops I'd like to work at, which I could hopefully get being an Alternative Med student.
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #100 (permalink)
Nebulous
Daniel

Ah, the JB dream job haha. I hope you have some retail experience, they seem to only take people who know what retail/ sales is all about from what I've seen.