LORD  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > LORD
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LORD Ex-Dungeon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

Cameras

I couldn't find a camera thread, so thought I'd start one. I'm looking at buying a compact one in the next few weeks. Can anyone recommend any?

One of the main criteria is the ability to take good photos in low light e.g. at gigs. A decent zoom would be handy too. There are a few good photographers on this board, so I thought it'd be a good place to ask.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
bsercombe
Swollen Member

I have an ixus that I think is pretty good. The movies it takes are ok too. Mine is the 28mm version ie: built in widescreen. It has both optical and digital zoom. Optical beats digital for quality, but you knew that already...

Low light is going to be a problem with many cameras. This one does a fair job at dusk etc- the colour balance only goes out of whack once it starts getting really dark. But for gigs you need a really good flash. The only one I had which worked a treat was a compact film camera (you might have seen the Tea Party photos I put up quite a while back) but for the Ixus and several others I have used I find that the timing of the flash and its power does not sufficiently illuminate the target.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
TheDenimRager
Hats make things better.

My Ixus is my god. The macro is fucking awesome and the digital zoom is pretty darn good too. The thing never ceases to amaze me.

As Mr Sercombe said, they struggle for night photography (eg gigs) but it can be done quite well if you nail it - try as I might, I can't do it but I've seen it done very well with my camera, so I know it can be done.

-~~~-
I care not though I live but a day,
If my name and my fame are a power forever.

-~~~-
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

Ixus 75 or 80, but dont discount the Nikon coolpix range either. Also check out Lumix.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pyro
The guy from the internet

Yeah, another Ixus recommendation here. 80 = brilliant.

I basically wanted a compact to compliment my SLR (which doesn't have a macro lens, can't be thrown in a back pocket and doesn't shoot video). The Ixus addressess all of those points fantastically. You can even do macro videos. Classic. Very good image quality, but as pointed out, you'll never get excellent low light shots on a compact digital.

If you are after somthing a little less compact, try the PowerShot range.
- Unrestrained! Magazine
- Pyro-Vesten.net (Web & Graphic Design)
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pethical
Tom

conveniently timed thread, because i'm looking at getting a new camera whilst im in japan.

i'm torn between getting a good compact or a cheap slr. my priorities are a big optical zoom, big iso and good sound capture (able to record loud volume without getting muffled) on the movie mode.

New Split LP with Tangled Thoughts of Leaving avaliable now - SMW FORUM -> www.ozprog.com/forum/sleepmakeswaves

Old June 18th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

Tom - get a really good compact like the Canon Powershot G9.
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

Thanks for your responses, folks. I've always had my eye on Ixus models, but in the past they were always way too expensive. They've come down a lot in recent times. Is the 80 the top of the range?

I saw this Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ15 online today: http://www.cnet.com.au/digitalcamera...9286123,00.htm
It seems to get a pretty good review, and has a 10x optical zoom, which is rather fab. Any thoughts? It's available online for $380, which is a good price. It's probably slightly bigger than I'd like, but with a zoom that big it's a reasonable compromise.

Old June 18th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

The Lumix are good Winmar, that or the Ixus 80.
Old June 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Pethical
Tom

that lumix looks pretty good actually. i'll look at it in japan, maybe can get it for a good price.

what can a cheap slr like a canon 450D do that this can't? (practical things, not high tech settings i'll never use)

canon just announced a new 1000d which is a budget slr, will check that out too

New Split LP with Tangled Thoughts of Leaving avaliable now - SMW FORUM -> www.ozprog.com/forum/sleepmakeswaves

Last edited by Pethical : June 18th, 2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

Try and get a 200D on Ebay, should be cheap now and more than you will ever need and get it before you go to Japan.
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Pethical
Tom

hmm cheapest i can see is $700 for the body only, might as well wait till the 1000D which will be ~1k

although the panasonic lumix dmc-tz15 looks pretty good right about now...and is only $300 USD

Last edited by Pethical : June 18th, 2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

I went to a camera shop today, and the Lumix DMC-TZ15 with a 2GB card was over $600!

Old July 18th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mean Machine
Happy Little Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pethical View Post
a canon 450D
Was actually looking at this camera today, seems pretty good, and most of the reviews I've read are fairly positive. I'm looking at buying a digital SLR in the next few months. Will be very handy to have one for Uni, as well as my Europe trip next year. Anybody have any opinions on that camera? Or any recommendations of others around the same price?

Metal Obsession
www.metalobsession.net
Australian metal news, reviews, interviews, gig guides, photos and more.
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Awake_In_Animosity
Fearing a Blank Planet

Also look at the new Nikon twin lens pack as well. I prefer the way Nikon's work but the canon's are a lot easier to get used to.
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Aussie_Metalchild
Lil Aussie Headbanger

http://www.lord.net.au
http://www.facebook.com/lordofficial
http://www.youtube.com/user/LORDofficial
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Winmar
Pillock of society

Btw, I ended up getting the Lumix I was talking about. Bought it on eBay. It goes well!