Maiden Downunder  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Fan Discussion > Maiden Downunder
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #26 (permalink)
Mean Machine
Happy Little Boozer

I don't like the new track at all. It's just bland. Hoping the rest of the album is in the more progressive vein of AMOLAD, which the track lengths kind've suggest.

Metal Obsession
www.metalobsession.net
Australian metal news, reviews, interviews, gig guides, photos and more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 8th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #27 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg
Master Exploder

As much as I love AMOLAD (probably my fav Maiden album now), I would like them to move on from that style. I think they did well hinting at it with DoD, and then nailed it with AMOLAD, so there isn't much point hanging around. Throw some older influences back in and keep a bit of the prog, which it seems they may be doing. I'm excited.

Give it a few more listens, I think it really needs at least a few.

http://www.facebook.com/thevesselproject
http://thevesselproject.bandcamp.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #28 (permalink)
Mark
Not blessed, or merciful

It sounds to me like a Bruce solo-era Adrian Smith riff. the vocals are just not full-bodied enough for me to enjoy them without noticing it. The actual song I find really entertaining, and not *too* recycled, however it's hardly breaking new ground for them (and I honestly don't think they care whether they do, anymore).
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #29 (permalink)
phlogiston
Bejabbers!

Yeah, it's got a Smith rock vibe to it. I won't be surprised to see that it's a Smith/Dickinson.

People are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs
Old June 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
TROOPER MICK

just got word from a good friend the release date her in Oz is the 13th August
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Spiff
I have the power

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlogiston View Post
Yeah, it's got a Smith rock vibe to it. I won't be surprised to see that it's a Smith/Dickinson.
Nah, the lyrics are very Harris. Too many of the lyrics are in the first person, which isn't very Bruce. Still, I think it's either Harris or maybe Smith/Harris. I'd be surprised (and disappointed, for the purposes of this post) if Bruce co-wrote it.
Old June 8th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Spiff
I have the power

Then again, he may have written the bridge because the lyrics there sound like something he may write. Hmm.
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
TinMan666

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Murray / Harris / Dickinson.
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Spiff
I have the power

One thing I noticed yesterday - no guitarist has ever written a Maiden song with another guitarist. I find that really quite interesting.
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Hanso

hmmm, well..... i like the solo's

I was expecting a bit more from Maiden but I guess after so many albums the ideas dry up eventually. I'm still looking forward to hearing the whole album.
I to was hoping they might punch out some shorter songs on this album.
As long as these long songs don't turn out repetative, boring or just plain wanky I will be happy
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mark
Not blessed, or merciful

Listened to it again last night, and actually noticed the middle section - the kind which really pisses me off when Maiden rehashes it on every album, so I'm not surprised I subconsciously skipped over it
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
Blitzkrieg
Master Exploder

The more I listen the more I like it. I think the vocals are fine, just a tad low in the mix perhaps, but it doesn't bother me.

http://www.facebook.com/thevesselproject
http://thevesselproject.bandcamp.com
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #38 (permalink)
TinMan666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
One thing I noticed yesterday - no guitarist has ever written a Maiden song with another guitarist. I find that really quite interesting.
Virus ;o)
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #39 (permalink)
apprentice
The Man With The Plan

I would have assured first off that "El Dorado" was a Smith/Dickinson contribution as, melodically, it sounds a lot like something off Bruce's solo career (it has Skunkworks written all over it, as you have already suggested) and the heavy riffing is more in the vein of something Adrian would do. But, as Blitzkrieg noted earlier, the lyrics written in first-person are not very characteristic of Bruce so, and having read the whole press release, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a Smith/Dickinson/Harris colaboration.

With that said, I'm quite excited about the new album but, although El Dorado is not a bad track at all, I still wouldn't change it for any of the ones on AMOLAD. I'm not sure if I like the way the song progresses throughout its almost seven minutes. It's not that the different parts don't blend in together well, but it does seem to me that it tries to be as structurally complex as tracks like Benjamin Breeg from AMOLAD but ends up relying way too much on melody and, therefore, sounding a little bit monotonous. Don't you have the feeling that this could/should be a much shorter song, as in, a typical straight rocking Maiden album opener?

Anyway, just a non-musician's two cents here, hoping the song will grow on him and have the opportunity to enjoy "The Final Frontier" as much as he is still enjoying AMOLAD!

-John Lennon

Last edited by apprentice : June 9th, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #40 (permalink)
Spiff
I have the power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan666 View Post
Virus ;o)
Ah, nuts. Well, it's not an album track. Yeah!
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM   #41 (permalink)
Spiff
I have the power

Wikipedia says that El Dorado is a Smith/Dickinson/Harris track. Doesn't really give a source - going to assume it came from the Rockline interview Steve and Janick did. The album's Wikipedia page has the following:

Quote:
In a 7 June interview on Rockline, Steve Harris commented that himself, Adrian Smith, and Bruce Dickinson had shared primary songwriting credits, with Janick Gers also contributing, adding that the songwriting credits were "a lot like the last album". Commenting on the songs themselves, Harris stated that: "towards the end of the album the songs get a lot more proggy".
Has anyone listened to the interview yet? Do they confirm who wrote El Dorado, or is some goofball just assuming it was Smith/Dickinson/Harris because of that quote? It doesn't say they shared the writing on every song.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
Mark
Not blessed, or merciful

Ok, pinpointed the point where the song loses me: 3:17 to 3:44. Is this the same recycled crap they use in half their songs these days? It's pure Harris minutiae, putting in something that disjoints the song completely. (I don't mean to sound like a hater, i still enjoy it despite Bruce's vocals in the verses)

I sometimes think that, musically, Maiden are simply down a different road than I expected them to be and have been, for the most part, for the last 8 years or so.
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #43 (permalink)
apprentice
The Man With The Plan

Quote:
Commenting on the songs themselves, Harris stated that: "towards the end of the album the songs get a lot more proggy".
That sounds pretty interesting!

-John Lennon
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #44 (permalink)
TinMan666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Wikipedia says that El Dorado is a Smith/Dickinson/Harris track. Doesn't really give a source - going to assume it came from the Rockline interview Steve and Janick did. The album's Wikipedia page has the following:

Has anyone listened to the interview yet? Do they confirm who wrote El Dorado, or is some goofball just assuming it was Smith/Dickinson/Harris because of that quote? It doesn't say they shared the writing on every song.
benjiman breeg was a Dave Murray song, and first single of the previous album. Therefore Steve's comment about the songwriting credits being a lot like the last album confirms that I'm correct in guessing that El Dorado is also a Dave Murray song.

Old June 10th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #45 (permalink)
Priest of Evil
Adores the Number 666

Yet to listen to this track. Got a splitting headache right now so I wont bother today. I'm looking forward to hearing the album but I'm turned off by hearing that it gets proggy as it goes - not what I was hoping for at all... time will tell
And Seal Your Battered Tomb
Your Life Is Just Another Game
For Satans Night Of Doom
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #46 (permalink)
Sydo
Wanking The Dead

Quote:
British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN kicked off their "The Final Frontier World Tour" last night (Wednesday, June 9) at the at Superpages.com Center in Dallas, Rexas.

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. The Wicker Man
02. The Ghost Of The Navigator
03. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
04. El Dorado
05. Paschendale
06. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
07. These Colours Don't Run
08. Blood Brothers
09. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:

14. The Number Of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free
Never thought I see a Maiden setlist like that.
I guess after the last few tours effectively being a 'best of' session, it's interesting to see such a change in the thinking of the band.

Last edited by Sydo : June 10th, 2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #47 (permalink)
Southy
Proud Brisbane Metaller

Listening to it for the first time in my top notch headphones, sounds even better, and the bass is really thick I have noticed too, onya Steve hahaha

It is still a ripper fucking track IMO

I wish I could be more like my hero's, then I wouldn't have to work as hard
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #48 (permalink)
Mark
Not blessed, or merciful

That setlist is a joke, right?
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #49 (permalink)
Stonewall
Lust for Freedom

That setlist is awesome!
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #50 (permalink)
Spiff
I have the power

Holy cow, I love the setlist. At least they're not one of those bands who just plays classics and then one or two new songs. They really stand behind their recent material which is great to see. And great to see Paschendale again.

Sure, it'll annoy some fans, but they just did a whole tour of classic songs. Sheesh.