Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Media Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mark
Not blessed, or merciful

Dream Theater - Scenes From New York - VHS

Dream Theater - Scenes From New York - VHS
By Philip Whitehouse

Before I bought this video, I had never heard anything by Dream Theater except a single dodgy bootleg live MP3 of Fatal Tragedy. Rodrigo had suggested I check them out long before, and on the day I sighted this video sitting on a shelf in HMV, I was feeling particularly affluent and adventurous, and promptly impulse-bought it.

It turned out to be one of the wisest purchases I ever made. Documenting the band's last performance of 'Metropolis Part 2 - Scenes From A Memory', it combines all of the aspects of a Dream Theater performance in their perfect format - these guys shouldn't be doing live concerts, they should be directing films!

The album being performed is a concept one, and rather than taking the easy route by performing the songs and doing little else, Dream Theater have gone one better and incorporated actors (both on the video screen in the background and onstage with the band), psychedelic visuals mixed with photographs and films clips pertinent to the story and, at one point, a gospel choir.

Typically of a progressive metal band, the instrumental virtuosity of the band members is phenomenal, and every aspect of the music is absolutely faultless. What can't be emphasised enough is the emotional impact of some of the songs - when the music is presented in conjunction with the film clips, visuals, concept etcetera, the full feeling of the songs is forced directly into your consciousness - I for one am completely comfortable with admitting that the second time I watched 'The Spirit Carries On' being performed, a tear came to my eye.

I can't recommend this video enough - the perfect testimony to the works of a fabulous band.

10/10
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old August 9th, 2002, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
goregoat
Head Bangers and Lacerato

wow...but they all still the great...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 30th, 2002, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Eternal_Decadent

Dream Theater just...... rules!!

Old December 9th, 2002, 05:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lukas666

It is fucking great video.Dream Theater are the best in the style they play.No other comments,it is not needed.
Old October 19th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
slayerg2
The Ensign

Outstanding DVD. Highly recommend
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Negus

I fell asleep while watching it
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Barking Pumpkin

The film clips on the DVD were really bad. I wouldn't have had a problem with them being there except that for half the DVD they just show you what's going on on the dumb video screen. I don't want to see their silly video, I want to see them performing the songs.
Old April 29th, 2005, 06:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aurelian
Cloud Connected

yeah this is a great DVD, highly recommended
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
GhostOfPerdition
G-Unit Gangsta

Awful acting segments and cheesy effects, although the show and the playing is amazing. Dream Theater isn't very emotional though.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tubbs
Bi-weekly top album:

Good to see people actually like DT on this forum.

I obviously want to see this video. (And I'm ashamed that I haven't seen it sooner.)
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
skinnypuppy

been a big fan for a while now, nice review. ill check it out
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Baranoi

Give me that DVD! Metropolis Part 2 is in my opinion the best album ever made, so I think I really need to see this movie.
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
MetalZepplein
http://metalzeppelin.blog

http://metalzeppelin.blogspot.com/

http://metalzeppelin.blogspot.com/

Updated with new music eveyrday
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Heather83

What an awesome dvd!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
CharltonChars
Banned

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to see Dream Theater live on their Metropolis 2000 World Tour!
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
lily.ann

This is trully a masterpiece! I'm glad I could go see them play Octavarium... that was the most awesome concert ever!