Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Media Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 11th, 2002, 06:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
gaz
Stargazer

Paradise Lost - Evolve DVD

Paradise Lost has been around for many years now and this is their 1st DVD. Made up primary of previously released VHS titles, 'Harmony Breaks' and 'One Second Live', this was only available through the bands fan club and web site.

My copy of the 'Harmony Breaks' vhs has long been unplayable, so I welcome its inclusion here. Recorded for MTV back in 1993, the 6 songs are perhaps the best of that given era.
The promo's video from 'Shades of God' and 'Icon' are all well done and I seem to remember that 'Widow' even won some MTV award for it.

In between this and the 'One Second Live' is some home movies of the band on tour, in the studio, and the usual goofing around.

'One Second Live', recorded at London in 1998, is a full live set, but the audio seems too smooth for me, with many songs the guitars being buried. But the set is a broad selection from the band's catalogue.

Last but not least, are the 4 promo videos from 'Draconian Time' and 'One Second', all are very slick and professional looking.

Everything about this DVD runs in chronological order, so you get to see the many changes in the band and the music. From the beginnings, where Paradise Lost were long haired death metallers, to the modern short haired slick Goth metal sounds, you truly get to see the band Evolve !

The only negatives here, is that there is nothing post 1998 here, the band's previous 2 albums not represented here and I am sure that they made promo's for the 'Host' album.

For long time Paradise Lost fans, like myself, this is a very welcome release.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 7th, 2002, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
MetalPrimed

The worst DVD I have ever bought!!! Just dont even think about spending your money cause you will feel RIP off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 7th, 2002, 06:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
gaz
Stargazer

I don't know what your problem exactley is, but why do you feel ripped off ? It's a great DVD with loads of stuff on it.
Old August 15th, 2003, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
ucsbdude
Stargate Addict

Awesome DVD a must have for PL fans!!!!!
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
TheDarkProject

Personally I think that the first half (based on the Harmony Breaks VHS) is great, but the second half (the One Second live stuff) is spoiled by one of the vocalist Nick's poorest live performances. Listening to him attempt to sing makes me cringe at times. But for a fan of the band, everything else on there makes it worth the price.
Old September 19th, 2003, 05:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
PIV Bassman
Nomad

Bloody great DVD, well worth the price and about time they brought out something like this. Now lets see the more recent clips and live footage from Host, Believe In Nothing and the awesome Symbol of Life album!
Old February 15th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
AsIDied

I'm a little biased, PL have been my favourite band for ten years.

I like the DVD quite alot. I would've liked to have seen more home video footage, or the band fucking around in the studio.

I agree with "TheDarkProject" about the Shepherds Bush gig. I was there and I remember thinking Nick was not up to scratch, and neither was Greg. I've seen PL nine times, that was the least impressive gig of theirs I've attended.

Given the DVD came out in 2002, I'd have liked to have seen more up to date footage, but that wasn't possible.

Those are my only complaints, other than that I think the DVD is definately worth it.

4/5.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
DeathChaos
User of Death

Hm...I'll pick it up some time. My brother got their new album. Sounds really differnt from the old days. Still nice atmosphere to it.
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
CharltonChars
Banned

Evolve is let down by the fact that both concerts had been previously available, the somewhat dubious sound quality and the fact that lead singer Nick Holmes projects rather more of an air of boredom than of menace.