Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > Musicians Discussion

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 6th, 2002, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Magicawe
Carnivorous Jesus

EMG Pickups

Are they really as good as everyone makes them out to be? and if so what model is the best for most rhythm and sometimes leads?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 6th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
GodslasheR
Northen Thrashing Madness

get the EMG 81... they are the best for rhythms... killer tones.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 6th, 2002, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Brand
Thrash Fuckin Metal

Yes, they really are that good. Didn't know how much better until I heard my guitar tone versus the lead guitarist's when my band recorded our ep. He had an EMG, I had a Duncan JB. His tone just seemed much more aggressive. The 85 is a little more suited for rhythm. But shit, if you're getting a high output pickup, you should get the one that sounds the most high output. That would be the EMG 81. Much more bite, much better for heavy riffing- just my opinion, but I've had plenty time playing with both the 85 and the 81.

Vocals/Rhythm Guitar - Ember
Denver, CO
AIM: Brayden73
www.emberband.com
Old May 7th, 2002, 04:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Wanderer
Watcher of the Storm

81 in your bride and an 85 in the neck. thats the classic combo. i use it, both guitarists in my band use it, slayer, whoever. its the shit.
http://www.cephaliccarnage.net
-----------------------------------------------
Stream brought words and Stream brought meanings Through its aether were seen all beings beauty revealed as cruelty Core of grief as death of desire
Old May 7th, 2002, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Darkest_Day21

i have emg's 81 and 85 the 85 is ok its not really for me but the 81 rocks my balls i luve it. i had to learn guitar on a fender tele it wasen't even mine. it doesen't sound to good with distortion but when i bought my esp and but those emg's on it omg i was in heaven the sound is so............ crisp. get emg's u will love them i married mine
Old May 8th, 2002, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dead Eternity

what makes them active pickups and what is the difference between them and the standard V-7 or V-8 pickups of IBANEZ RG guitars?

For fans of Disillusion, In Flames, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Opeth, Nevermore, Katatonia...
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Wanderer
Watcher of the Storm

active pickups have a preamp and are powered by a battery. they are much hotter, and in my opinion, they crunch up better
http://www.cephaliccarnage.net
-----------------------------------------------
Stream brought words and Stream brought meanings Through its aether were seen all beings beauty revealed as cruelty Core of grief as death of desire
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Brand
Thrash Fuckin Metal

Active pickups don't just respond to changes in magnetic fields, they amplify them. This makes them much higher output. Higher output + high gain = crunchy distortion.

Denver, CO
www.emberband.com
Old May 8th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dead Eternity

can you play seriously clean with them?

For fans of Disillusion, In Flames, Porcupine Tree, Devin Townsend, Opeth, Nevermore, Katatonia...
Old May 8th, 2002, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Caroline
METALBABE!

EMG's rock - I'm gonna get my guitar refitted with 2 EMG 'buckers and a seymour duncan single coil
Old May 8th, 2002, 10:36 AM   #11 (permalink)
7 Dying Trees
Bastard Albino Elf

EMG's are sweet, they'll be fine in an RG. And they work well for clean stuff as well.

I'd put an 81 in the bridge for far out aggressive riffing, and SA in the mid and an 89 in the neck. the 89 is an 85 that you can split into an SA, so youy get more tonal variation. Very good.

81 is a killer pickup for rythm
Old May 8th, 2002, 11:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
Brand
Thrash Fuckin Metal

Hearse, its REAL easy to install on active and one passive pickup in the same guitar....

As far as clean tone goes, its not the best, but its certainly not the worst either. Roll off some of the top end with your tone knob and it should work alright.

Denver, CO
www.emberband.com
Old May 10th, 2002, 03:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dead Eternity

batteries.. what is when they are out of charge, is there no sound anymore?

Old May 10th, 2002, 08:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
7 Dying Trees
Bastard Albino Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Dead Eternity
batteries.. what is when they are out of charge, is there no sound anymore?
They run out of juice you pick up your guitar and it suddenly sounds like shit. Most of the time you forget it's got a battery as well, so you end up thinking there's something wrong with the amp. Especially as the battery lasts a long time...
Old May 10th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dead Eternity

Quote:
Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees

They run out of juice you pick up your guitar and it suddenly sounds like shit. Most of the time you forget it's got a battery as well, so you end up thinking there's something wrong with the amp. Especially as the battery lasts a long time...
same thing with my old analog effect pedal.

Old May 10th, 2002, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Magicawe
Carnivorous Jesus

what kind of batterys are they? are they replacable? can you put these pickups in any guitar?
Old May 13th, 2002, 08:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
7 Dying Trees
Bastard Albino Elf

Standard 9v, so you just open up the guitar, replace it and put the control cavity plate back on. Unless, of course, your guitar has front mounted electronics, in which case you scream and curse...
Old May 14th, 2002, 04:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
7 Dying Trees
Bastard Albino Elf

Which reminds me, has anyone here tried or is anyone using the EMG707? From what I've heard they sound quite nice, but I am apprehensive of routing out the control cavity in a guitar (along with the pickguard) to install them. Also, they don't make a single coil, but I am tempted? ANyone got any experience with them?
Old May 14th, 2002, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)
Magicawe
Carnivorous Jesus

lol pickguard...
Old May 21st, 2002, 11:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Somber Oracle
Lord of the Storm

EMGs are the best for the heavy but sharp and clean sound. I'm going to be buying an 81 and 85 soon.
Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
FlyingV
So fuckin´what

EMG´s sound is thick and heavy. But there´s a problem with active pickups: where did all the dynamics go?
For example, try playing with passive Seymour Duncans and then play with EMGs. The sound will remain great, but you´ll lose great amount of dynamics! That´s my opinion. Based on pure experience!

Exapathy Homepage
Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:39 AM   #22 (permalink)
7 Dying Trees
Bastard Albino Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingV
EMG´s sound is thick and heavy. But there´s a problem with active pickups: where did all the dynamics go?
For example, try playing with passive Seymour Duncans and then play with EMGs. The sound will remain great, but you´ll lose great amount of dynamics! That´s my opinion. Based on pure experience!

Exapathy Homepage
Yep. Discovered this one when I started using passive pickups again, EMG's have little or no dynamics, but then again, if you already compress your sound to fuck this doesn't really matter too much, but if you like being able to control tone and distortion levels with your pick and like to articulate, then avoid them.

If you want all out metal they are very very good. And damn heavy!

Posting causes severe erectile dysfunction and lowers the sperm count
Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
nevershine
Hengität. Et hengitä enää

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyingV

Exapathy Homepage
Second that!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee_B

The Finns do it better than us I'm afraid.. people don't just get drunk there. They get 100% completely fucked out of their minds. They're an entire nation of alcoholic, suicidal, moribund freakoids
Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:10 PM   #24 (permalink)
TheSerpent
No more bitting as one

Get an EMG 81 for the rythm stuff and an 85 for your neck.the thing is what guitar u r playin with.if you have a low cost guitar as its pickups are not that of a quality changing them is a good movement but if you have a very expensive thing lets say a jakcson soloist it doesn't make sense to change its seymour duncan unless u want realy to make a specific sound.in my opinion if you have a medium-cost guitar i would say to you to buy some effects.try the pedal effecg ax1000ag or ax1500ag whch are very cheap if you compare to their quality.try also the rampage from rocktron which is a distortion pedal tha can give you much more than the EMGs.(if you could combine both of them that would be perfect though)good luck!
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:30 PM   #25 (permalink)
BOOGEY
BOOGEY

i have an esp eclipse with the 81-60 combo and they sound pretty good but i seem to a better and more aggresive tone out of my rg with stock pick ups and my dimarzios in my my ibanez s classic just seem alot beefier than my emgs.people say that u get better harmonic out of emgs but i dunno my other guitars squeal compared the the esp