Nevermore  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Nevermore
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:32 AM   #1251 (permalink)
EricT
Don't you ever get...

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stormo View Post
SMT = Shin Megami Tensei = the Persona games, right?
Yes on the first part.

BUT! Persona games aren't actually SMT games... that title was just added to it due for US/EU sales reasons as persona 2 (the half of that game we did get) sold like utter shit, they felt that saying they were part of an already established series would help garner attention (kinda like how square adds final fantasy to pretty much any product). It actually happened to work.

In terms to their actual placement, they kinda count as spinoffs, but non of the actions of those games have really been addressed by the SMT series. Honestly, I don't see how they can include them as Persona 3 and 4 went off in their own direction and have pretty much nothing to do with the first 2 games in the series, which were very related to each other.

Also, we've only gotten 1 "actual" SMT game in the US, which was Nocturne. Next year we actually get another one localized, for the DS, which plays a lot more like the older games. Doubt it's going to sell well in the US since it's style is dramatically different than what the US has experienced before with the series' spin off games that have been localized.

Last edited by EricT : December 23rd, 2009 at 03:40 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:25 AM   #1252 (permalink)
El Stormo
Uses Mozilla Mokoufox

I see. I don't think they were ever released in Europe... and if they were, I've never encountered them in shops...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:09 AM   #1253 (permalink)
EricT
Don't you ever get...

Quote:
I see. I don't think they were ever released in Europe... and if they were, I've never encountered them in shops...
Most of the ones released in north america have made it over to europe, however they don't exactly print to many of them so most shops won't have them. Usually gotta hit up websites for em.

----

Anyway, just got done playing the End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) demo for about 3 hours. I dig it. Cool thing about the demo is that every time you beat it, you can play it again with harder enemies, different drops, etc.

The battle system is really cool... I'm calling it real time turn based third person button mash strategy tactical battle system (the rttbtpbmstbm).

Kinda hard to explain in text, but I shall try and type this up for multiple places with one big ass post:

You have 3 characters on the battle field. You can make a move or skip the turn. Now, if you move freely with the analog, this gives the enemies can all move freely during the, however you stand still, everything stops, and you can press a button which enters line mode. In line mode you, well... setup a line for your character to move in. Now there are two elements you must be aware of, which is Resonance and enemy/environment trajectory... the "resonance" side of things is aligning your characters movement in a certain manner where it crosses the direct paths of your other characters. Doing this adds a Resonance point.

A resonance point can be spent to do an awesome tactic which involves all 3 of your characters moving at once (switching places on the battle field) only spending one character's turn phase, to deal massive damage. Should note that if you move outside of a resonance trajectory, if you have resonance points you'll lose them.

Now, after selecting the trajectory and area your character will run to, you can now start doing some attacking. Attacks vary depending on what weapon you have, and this is really important for the damage aspect as there are 2 types of damage: Scratch and regular. Scratch damage indicated by the color blue, is caused by shit like sub machine guns and the like. This number seems huge, but it's actually not as damaging as the number would lead you to believe as this damage is only temporary and if you don't keep up the assault on this particular enemy, they can gain this energy back and it'll be a waste. Regular damage, cause by pistols, grenades, and shit, is of course, straight up damage. The number is lower as it's attacking straight at the enemies health...

As for actually attacking, you character starts running on his course to his destination, and in this time you can order him to jump up in the air and the like, for some more classy attacks. You're able to attack when your character has aimed in, this time varies on the distance, weapon, and weapon proficiency that you have... in the case of resonance mode, it will switch between characters in real time and you'll be doing this with all 3. In the case your plotted line leads you into an environment brick wall or some shit, the characters movement cancels. Canceling can also be done with the simple press of the cancel button. You can jump over a lot of shit as well, but pre-plotting your line, it's best to move your character into a place where the trajectory will both keep you away from enviroment, and still in the resonance of the other characters.

You also have 2 weapons (it may increase at some point due to level or something, i'm not sure though) which you can equip. If you equip 2 of the same class of weapon, you can use them both in the attack phase, or you can equip 2 different ones and switch during the pre-attack phase depending on the kind of damage/enemy you're running into. NOT sure if you can use 2 different types weapons at the same time, but it may become an option in the full game later on or something.

And that just about does it for the battlin... as convoluted as it sounds, it actually becomes VERY fluid and quite fun after you figure out the little quirks and systems about it. It also has to be one of the more "different" J-RPG battle systems in ages, and hopefully (if it sells well) a wake-up call to some J-RPG developers to go back to the drawing boards and get a bit fucking innovative.

Can't say shit about the story since in the demo there was... well... shit for story in the demo. Can't wait for the full version, and I can only hope it's good and not like last year's tri-ace offering of Star Ocean 4... another game with great gameplay but a not so great story in terms of RPGs this generation.

Last edited by EricT : December 23rd, 2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #1254 (permalink)
El Stormo
Uses Mozilla Mokoufox

Sounds cool. Is it as weeaboo anime as the Persona series?

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:58 AM   #1255 (permalink)
EricT
Don't you ever get...

Quote:
Sounds cool. Is it as weeaboo anime as the Persona series?
No.

Well, at least from what was there no. Since there wasn't much of anything in terms of story, I can't guarantee that.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1256 (permalink)
El Stormo
Uses Mozilla Mokoufox

I see. Because what bothered me about the persona skits I've seen on the Jewtube was all the wapanese squealing during battle, complete with face close-ups popping in from the sides of the screen.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1257 (permalink)
Det Som Engang Var
Viking Bastard

Nocturne is nothing like that. Any and every enemy in the game is recruitable, the game is hard and unforgiving, especially with the true ending. Great character customization, there wasn't much story but the story that was there was fucking awesome. It's dark, you even indirectly fight god and actually do fight Satan.
Originally Posted by Dead_Lioness View Post
having a pet > not having a pet
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #1258 (permalink)
Swabs
HAHA COOL

I seriously would not mind skipping Xmas if I meant I could get Mass Effect 2 faster.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Joystiq/videos/2587/0

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy View Post
a dog just stole my raisin bun
Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #1259 (permalink)
WhiteBeastofWotan
Apostitutes!

Fucking Awesome.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1260 (permalink)
EricT
Don't you ever get...

Fuck them, they removed the elevator simulator... I hope someone mods that back in for the PC version.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM   #1261 (permalink)
WhiteBeastofWotan
Apostitutes!

lol.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #1262 (permalink)
El Stormo
Uses Mozilla Mokoufox

Yeah those elevators were always sequences full of suspense.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM   #1263 (permalink)
WhiteBeastofWotan
Apostitutes!

Some of the elevator dialogue was cool, especially the ones involving Wrex. But that was only took up like 5% of the elevator time.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #1264 (permalink)
ShadowsWithin

suprosed no ones mentioned it yet but AWESOME deals going on at steam right now, im gonna buy one of the packs and be stocked up on games for a year
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1265 (permalink)
Det Som Engang Var
Viking Bastard

About to buy Mass Effect right now.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:40 PM   #1266 (permalink)
Karmic
speedy meatmonger

Only problem with the SMT series is that it's pretty much always the same exact monsters in each of the games, just in various different forms and functions. FF may have the same as well but not to that extent.

d:-D=

Old December 24th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #1267 (permalink)
Det Som Engang Var
Viking Bastard

True
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1268 (permalink)
WhiteBeastofWotan
Apostitutes!

Meet the cast of Mass Effect 2:
http://www.gamespot.com/showcases/ma...t2?sid=6242706

Fuckin stoked. Great cast.
Old December 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #1269 (permalink)
Liverslapper
w00t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det Som Engang Var View Post
About to buy Mass Effect right now.
Shame on you! You should of endulged in the game awhile ago! You could of borrowed it but I moved away!
Old December 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #1270 (permalink)
Nikki

My PS3 internet connection is epic fail right now, going to fix that.
Old December 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #1271 (permalink)
El Stormo
Uses Mozilla Mokoufox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverslapper View Post
[...] should of [...] could of [...]
*low growl*

Old December 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1272 (permalink)
Lord Foul
I don't spank men

but you let him slide on "endulged?"
Old December 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1273 (permalink)
El Stormo
Uses Mozilla Mokoufox

Yes, actually. I can understand that error. I mean, it's an eyesore, but it's nowhere near as big an affront as "should of"

Old December 27th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1274 (permalink)
derek
Grey Eminence

Language is as people speak. It's deteriorating only if you accept there is a correct form.
Old December 27th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #1275 (permalink)
Karmic
speedy meatmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
My PS3 internet connection is epic fail right now, going to fix that.
tell me more

d:-D=