Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Zine > Non-Metal Reviews

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 24th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Russell
__

Nine Inch Nails – Pretty Hate Machine

Nine Inch Nails – Pretty Hate Machine
Island CID9973 1989
By Russell Garwood

Nine Inch Nail’s (NIN) “Pretty Hate Machine” is the album primarily responsible for watering down and providing a more palatable form of industrial music to the masses. NIN’s angst-ridden pop-structured songs are catchy and, while sounding slightly dated, are still a welcome listen.

The music consists of strong looped drums throughout, plus many samples, noises, guitar and vocals. The majority of these are programmed, performed and written by Trent Reznor, the mastermind behind NIN. They create an atmospheric and downcast album, the lyrics (as always with Trent) being perfectly judged, and extremely well written; for example, “it's still getting worse after everything I tried, what if I found a way to wash it all aside, what if she touches with those fingertips, as the words spill out like fire from her lips”.

Opening with the dancey and hugely cynical “Head Like A Hole”, the mood of the album is established early, being cemented by “Terrible Lie”, with a dig at organised religion. Track 4 “Sanctify” has a tapped, catchy bass-line that sticks in your head for hours and the heart-wrenching “Something I Can Never Have” has to be one of the most depressing, and best songs on the album. Other standout tracks include the more aggressive “Sin” and the dark and hopeless “Ring Finger”.

This is a hugely influential classic which is still relevant and well worth getting, and while it may not be the best album to get if you are new to NIN, it is a necessity for fans of the band and industrial music.

Last edited by Russell : September 5th, 2003 at 02:30 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 11th, 2002, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Suicider

Ugh.. Lame music, shitty lyrics..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 12th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Russell
__

if you think so

I've always liked Trents lyrics - to quote a friend, "he's angry with himself, not other people". The majority bands (generaly male), who write about their feelings (especially in metal) seem to have a grudge against everyone else, and never seem to be able to handle blame or face the consequences of their actions. It always some-one elses fault, and strikes me as pathetic Trent doesn't work like that...

Musical taste is, of course, entirely subjective, but I love NIN's music throughout their career even "The Fragile" Give it a try, you may be surprised
Old April 19th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
RINGFINGER

I think this album is fantastic!!!!
Old April 29th, 2002, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
dill_the_devil
OneMetal.com Music Editor

Whaddaya mean EVEN The Fragile? I've always thought that was the best album! And, yes, I have heard all the others - including both versions of Further Down The Spiral.
But I still won't listen to gabba!
Old May 6th, 2002, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Russell
__

The Fragile is generally accepted as their least accessible So I wouldn't reccommend it as a first album Twas my first and favourite, but I know it isn't for many, hence the "even the fragile"

\G/ Ultraviolence \G/
Old February 16th, 2003, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Edgecrusher
God To The Godless

I really liked 'Pretty Hate Machine' (and still do to this day).

But for some reason (and I know a lot of NIN fans won't like this) I did not like 'Downward Spiral' one single bit, with the exception of "Closer".
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
retardgirl
Opeth suck my ripples!

"Pretty Hate Machine" is an ok album by NIN. However Trent Rezoner has a habit of being a whining bastard sometimes. Some of the songs on "Pretty Hate Machine" start to sound the same after awhile. If you're just getting into NIN you're probably better getting "And all that could have been" even though it's live (and off key in places) it's got some of the best tracks on there. Otherwise i would just reccommend downloading selected tracks off the net.
Old September 4th, 2003, 08:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
neal
wizard in black

kmfdm is better.
-neal
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
S_bitch

It's "Terrible Lie" Not tell a liel
Old September 5th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Russell
__

Good point
Old September 8th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
NAD
Beardless Mystic

I love the album, but it's still my least favorite NIN. Sin is one of Trent's best songs though, hinted at where he would be going in the future...
Old January 4th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Valhallen

Pretty Hate Machine is pretty cool. I've liked this band from the first time I saw their video 'Head Like A Hole' on MTV back in 1990. As good as this album is, I enjoy the 'Broken' ep more!
Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Immortal Curse

NIN is a good industrial metal band. Ive been listening to them for about 2 years now. I only have their live collection though.
Old January 24th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Steve
Banned

I beat all of you in NIN collections. I have original sealed copies of all 17 holes except 1, and this includes the special edition double halo 17

But why are people still diggin up old reviews?
Old February 19th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
RabidWarfare

yep i do agree reznor did heavily influence the genre. i recommend all NIN studio albums and the DVD.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ratatosk

I think Pretty Hate Machine is a great album. And the live albums are also very atmospheric.
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
kleo706

I have the Happiness in Slavery advance VIP promo 12". THe best part is I don't even LIKE the band.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
NAD
Beardless Mystic

I'll take it off your hands if you wish to clear your collection of music you don't like.
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
thespectralsorrows
Metal Lord

This is the only NIN CD I really liked and it's very good. Downward Spiral was okay, but too annoying for me. Pretty Hate Machine is a classic really.
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:13 AM   #21 (permalink)
Protected Witness
Magickal Theatre 33

I remember listening to this album when I was a little kid. Nine Inch Nails was the first concert I ever went to, back in 1995.
Old November 28th, 2004, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)
OctoberEthereal
Never Made A Snowman

PHM is my top album of all time. Not just NIN album, but out of all albums that ever existed. It is amazing.
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
MG

I love it and can listen to it over and over again!
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #24 (permalink)
redaV_htraD

NIN are gay.
They are doing shows in West Hollywood, CA at gay dance clubs this month.
Old March 1st, 2005, 09:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
C11 H17 N2 O2 S Na
(Sodium) PENTATHOL

Not my favorite kind of music, although it has been in my collection since it's '89 release (I was 10 yrs old at the time). Now and again I may pull one of his albums out but I prefer 'Downward Spiral'. As far as PHM goes my 2 favorite tracks are 'Sin' and 'That's What I Get'. These ones have my favorite lyrics from the album. I also like the latter because it's the only time you hear that type of sound come out of NIN. Had it been the formula he stuck with I wouldn't care for it as much.