Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > Non-Metal

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-Metal For discussion about the music that doesn't fall under the great Metal umbrella.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #376 (permalink)
ShredHeadJHJ
oh noes itz a opinionn

One more thing:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer are by far the best classic prog rock band. Pink Floyd, Yes & Genesis all have great stuff, but nothing that matches the intensity of classic ELP.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #377 (permalink)
Orion Crystal Ice
Rider of the Astral Fire

I disagree that jazz is disassociated with rock. If you listen to Michael Jackson's classic 'Off the Wall' LP you can clearly hear the influence of Sun Ra, John Coltrane, and other avant-jazz innovators in tracks such as the immense sounding title track and the wistful interpretation of Wings' 'Girlfriend'. So great was the swirl of hype surrounding the album at the time before it's release, that Epic considered ushering in Jan Hammer and Jean Luc Ponty as guest players on his sophomore effort, however, this was scrapped as it was rumored Herbie Hancock and other greats were going in a more 'pop' direction, making the daring jazz direction of the debut passť. Thus 'Thriller' was born and sold out to the tune of 109 million copies worldwide.

Only the debut is 'true' Jackson tbqh.

http://www.skylinermusic.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #378 (permalink)
ShredHeadJHJ
oh noes itz a opinionn

I wasn't trying to imply that jazz is disassociated with rock. I'm a musician & I know other musicians who might play rock/metal at times but also discredit it in a musical context when compared to jazz wank. I love jazz BTW, but there are so many forms of it. It's so multidimensional.
Old April 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #379 (permalink)
Orion Crystal Ice
Rider of the Astral Fire

Jackson is easily the jazziest artist to come out since Pink Floyd, frequently cited bands such as Cynic or Planet X are too steeped into old blues and R&B scales and come off sounding more like a demented Bad Company. Classic Michael Jackson on the other hand immediately recalls heavy shades of 'A Love Supreme'.

Old April 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #380 (permalink)
Einherjar86
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by razoredge View Post
^ this post = balance ^

Pat - Just checked Junkyard Kings and I've been to your acoustic stuff a few times. You know it might not be neck snapping ground breaking stuff but its all damn well written songs. Junkyard songs are upbeat and fun, you guys must get good response when you play out. I have always liked that kind of music (both styles) but sadly dont have one ounce of that in myself.
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Yeah, we're not really trying to be anything groundbreaking; we just like to write songs. Thanks again, I'll pass your comments along to the guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Crystal Ice View Post
Jackson is easily the jazziest artist to come out since Pink Floyd,
This is going to be a running joke with you, isn't it?

My Theory blog, Borrowing from the Future: http://borrowingfromthefuture.blogspot.com/

My Science Fiction blog, Roadside Picnic: http://roadsidepicnictalks.blogspot.com/
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #381 (permalink)
ShredHeadJHJ
oh noes itz a opinionn

Actually there are some subtle jazz inflections on "Off the Wall".
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM   #382 (permalink)
razoredge

I remember that it took Pink Floyd to topple CCR from their throne as best jazz/rock artists... though Tina Turner gave it a good go with her jazzed up version of Proud Mary, a song previously thought impossible to jazz up more than it already was.

geeze, Im feeling abit dizzy, must go lay down and chill to the smooth jazz sounds of the Mommas and Poppas
into this wild abyss, the womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire... but all these in their pregnant causes mixed confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, unless the almighty maker then ordain his dark materials to create more worlds, into this wild abyss the wary fiend stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, pondering his voyage
Old April 26th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #383 (permalink)
zabu of nΩd
narrator of non-existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredHeadJHJ View Post
Emerson, Lake & Palmer are by far the best classic prog rock band. Pink Floyd, Yes & Genesis all have great stuff, but nothing that matches the intensity of classic ELP.
If we're talking in terms of greatest songs alone, I'm inclined to agree with you. ELP did some absolutely mindblowing, breathtaking music. They also had a lot of shit, though, and I'm not sure they ever made a full album that can stand up to some other classic prog albums end to end.
Old April 26th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #384 (permalink)
Orion Crystal Ice
Rider of the Astral Fire

OCI votes for Crimson and Yes. Lots of people don't even know that KC put out 7 studio albums between 1969 and 1975, all full of insane prog goodness. Favorite out of those? LIZARD.

Old April 26th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #385 (permalink)
razoredge

Im not fimiliar much with Yes, Crimson or Genesis and never leaned toward keyboard dominated music. I liked to rock and guitar dominate stuff that was heavier, so my favorite old progressive songs are by less technically skilled hard rock bands that just poped out a few more progressive songs here and there, like Tull, Cooper, Heep had a couple, Zepp had a few, Focus had a few (I liked), even Queen, Rush was a turning point, then Crack the Sky and Kansas. I was never really crazy about all that synth stuff, Jan Hammer was really the first I heard that was right for me with synth improv.

Loved Round About but it was all Yes had for me, the same with Court of the Crimson King and even Karn Evil 9 1st pt2. Im sure theres hidden gems there I just never heard or gave a chance. Like I enjoy all of Brain Salad today but really only a couple times a year is enough.
into this wild abyss, the womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire... but all these in their pregnant causes mixed confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, unless the almighty maker then ordain his dark materials to create more worlds, into this wild abyss the wary fiend stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, pondering his voyage
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM   #386 (permalink)
ShredHeadJHJ
oh noes itz a opinionn

Like Jan Hammer? Get this album. Sit back, & listen in awe to the intensity of true musicianship.

Al Di Meola "Elegant Gypsy"

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:18 AM   #387 (permalink)
razoredge

Have it since it was new. This is why I'd like to know what piece of music would be Mclaughlins prime standout of "superiority". At that time most felt DiMeola was better. John seemed to improve with his influence into Latin which seemed mostly spurred by Al and Paco. John was into that sitar sounding stuff too much for me and was sloppy compared to DiMeola and Morse. All three were ground breakers though, so I wouldnt want to take credit from John for any of that but something about the early Mahavishnu records tells me that as far as improvisation he was really feeding off from the talents and feel of Hammer and Goodman with great influence from Ravi Shankar who was "all the rage" amounst the flower childern at that time. I could be wrong.
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #388 (permalink)
RedinTheSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Crystal Ice View Post
Jackson is easily the jazziest artist to come out since Pink Floyd, frequently cited bands such as Cynic or Planet X are too steeped into old blues and R&B scales and come off sounding more like a demented Bad Company. Classic Michael Jackson on the other hand immediately recalls heavy shades of 'A Love Supreme'.
This is retarded. Jazz is awesome. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no country for old wainds View Post
that wasn't true the first time someone said it and it isn't true now that tons of people have hopped on the bandwagon either. it's ridiculous.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #389 (permalink)
Satanstoenail
Stack of fuck shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedinTheSky View Post
This is retarded. Jazz is awesome. That is all.
Hint: He was obviously having a laugh.
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #390 (permalink)
Vimana

Dark Side Of The Moon > The Wall
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #391 (permalink)
Einherjar86
Winter is Coming

^Really tough call.

Tom Waits > Bob Dylan

My Theory blog, Borrowing from the Future: http://borrowingfromthefuture.blogspot.com/

My Science Fiction blog, Roadside Picnic: http://roadsidepicnictalks.blogspot.com/
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #392 (permalink)
Raoul Duke
Not Portugese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar86 View Post
^Really tough call.

Tom Waits > Bob Dylan
Please tell me you're fucking kidding.
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #393 (permalink)
razoredge

Im partial to Dark Side and would need to listen to them back to back again to make a call.

Musically nearly anything is better than Dylan so Ill believe Waits is and I have no fimiliarity with his music... lol

Dylan was an interesting lyricist and thats where it ends
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #394 (permalink)
Vimana

I feel like The Wall is a more tedious than rewarding experience, I can pick out specific tracks that are awesome on it, but as far as listening to an album through goes, I would pick Dark Side Of The Moon over it.
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #395 (permalink)
challenge_everything

^Yeah that's an easy call for me. I don't like The Wall much at all.

And I also prefer Tom Waits to Bob Dylan. Not that they're particularly comparable.
Old May 16th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #396 (permalink)
panzerfaust666
German Asshole

DSOTM > The Wall.

furthermore, I hate Comfortably numb. so much.

Dylan and Waits are completely different. Incomparable in the same sentence.I personally love both, but am much more familiar with waits

EDIT: ninjad on the waits/dylan comment by Challenge

www.myspace.com/marlonkmusic

R.I.P. Vitek
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #397 (permalink)
IntoPhagist
FloriiiiiiiooooooOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deva Mrtyu View Post
John Lennon is no legend.

The Beatles are nowhere near as talented as Pink Floyd, Yes, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, or Emerson, Lake & Palmer.
Thats a biggie but The Beatles weren't trying to be anything..They didn't fall into any genre..So Just cuz they wrote short poppy songs they also wrote trippy Rock tunes...And that makes them the greatest band of all time...I can listen to the last 7 Beatles albums today and I still think there better then almost 95% music I hear, metal included.
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #398 (permalink)
IntoPhagist
FloriiiiiiiooooooOOO!

Wish You Were Here > The Wall and DSOTM
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #399 (permalink)
Raoul Duke
Not Portugese

Quote:
Originally Posted by razoredge View Post
Im partial to Dark Side and would need to listen to them back to back again to make a call.

Musically nearly anything is better than Dylan so Ill believe Waits is and I have no fimiliarity with his music... lol

Dylan was an interesting lyricist and thats where it ends
Hey ! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to
Hey ! Mr Tambourine Man, play a song for me
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #400 (permalink)
Vimana

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust666 View Post
furthermore, I hate Comfortably numb. so much.
I used to hate it as well. After repeated listens it's a song I can only like at certain times.