Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > Non-Metal

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-Metal For discussion about the music that doesn't fall under the great Metal umbrella.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Ozzman
Commander Smooth

Controversial non-metal opinions

Let's hope this one doesn't get locked

Nirvana is overrated
John Mayer would be way better if he didn't sing

That's it for now
Come on dude, you've been here long enough. You should know how this stuff works. The darkest, assholest tasting beer = the best. Only true metal accepted. Only blackest ov the black coffee accepted. I've noticed pretty much everything on this website is distorted reality from every other human being I've actually came into contact with.
This line will remain until Corrosion of Conformity (with Pepper) releases another album (4/15/08; amended 12/7/10)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nightmare_Heaven
Death Disco

Phil Collins has made some excellent songs *blushes*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
SouthernTrendkill
Super Normie

Oh yay, this will be fun.

Things that are popular are generally of high quality. Things that aren't popular are NOT necessarily of lesser quality, since there are a lot of factors that effect popularity beyond just quality. But if a band is selling millions of records then I think that means they are pretty damn fucking good at what they do. Like for example, boy band music might suck, but The Backstreet Boys must be damn great at it to be so huge. Nobody's opinion is worth more than anyone else's, so that lends credit to popularity. Even if the corporate masters are pulling the strings to make some hack popular, if it's music that is moving to thousands of people, then it is quality music. There has to be at least one thing great about it for it to do that.

I despise indie rock/pop/folk. I'll probably love it someday because I end up loving all the genres I hate. But right now indie music seems like they're intentionally trying to be meaningless. All the band names are as outlandish and pointless as they can manage, and the lyrics are pure flowing poetics with no message behind it. And even though these are "independent" bands, their sound & production is as polished, sterilizied and poppy as could be. I mean, a band like Of Montreal is extremely talented, amazing musicians. But I don't think there's very much merit in that genre. (Until I end up loving it in a year or so).

I hate pretty much everything that came out in the 80s. I just can't stand the production sound, too sterile. Somehow even the rawest fuckin' shit sounds sterile, except for the stuff that is so lo-fi that it's pretty much noise. I mean I do like Metallica, Slayer, GG Allin, Bruce Springsteen, but I'd like all of that stuff s lot more if it sounded more 90s.

Eminem is a freaking genius, one of the greatest artists of all-time. Even though everybody likes to rag on him, he'll still go down in history as one of the best artists ever.

Tom Petty's 90s & 00s material is better tan his 70s & 80s material. There are SOME tracks from his early days which are as good as the best tracks from his latter days, but none of the early albums as a whole can compare to any of the later album. Petty's been playing a hell of a long time, but it actually took him a few decades to find his best musical voice.

uhh... I consider Guns N Roses Classic Rock. They do a similar middle-of-the-road hard rock/folk/ballad mixture that the definitive classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, and Ten Years After did. Some people would say, coming out in '88, that GNR's too late for Classic Rock, but I think they fit.

Speaking of which... I've yet to hear any bands that are as diverse as the classic rock bands. Diversity isn't necessarily the first thing people think of with classic rock. But those bands would do a all different shit all on the same album. Start with a hard rock tune, then a straight-up folk song, then a slow blues, then a heavy blues, then a prog song, then a straight-up jazz song, then end it with a raw acoustic blues, old school style. Music fans these days are more diverse than ever before, but bands don't seem to even be as diverse as bands from 4 decades ago. They can try to mix a lot of sounds but can they actually do a bunch of different genres seperately, on one album?

Last edited by SouthernTrendkill : April 13th, 2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old April 13th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

Incubus is a great band.
John Mayer is a good singer and even BETTER guitarist.
Porcupine Tree is the best group you'll ever hear.
The Who suck.
Old April 13th, 2008, 03:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vegard Pompey
Obscure World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTrendkill View Post
Things that are popular are generally of high quality. Things that aren't popular are NOT necessarily of lesser quality, since there are a lot of factors that effect popularity beyond just quality. But if a band is selling millions of records then I think that means they are pretty damn fucking good at what they do. Like for example, boy band music might suck, but The Backstreet Boys must be damn great at it to be so huge. Nobody's opinion is worth more than anyone else's, so that lends credit to popularity. Even if the corporate masters are pulling the strings to make some hack popular, if it's music that is moving to thousands of people, then it is quality music. There has to be at least one thing great about it for it to do that.
This is actually kinda true, but I'd rather deny it, or just blame it on the stupidity of the majority.

But, I guess that people like me prioritize different musical qualities. I'd rather have music that's deep instead of catchy, I don't care if the artist can dance or not and the vocals aren't much more important than any of the other instruments.

However, I still claim that most of these artists, while doing it right, are doing it without any real passion.
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mathińs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belligerent View Post
The Who suck.
no
Originally Posted by TechnicalBarbarity View Post
... fuck Obama. Worst president ever .... the guy has basically turned this country upside down, but that's what we get for putting a goddamned extreme liberal in the white house. He fucking disgusts me.
Old April 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master_Yoda77
Jerking off to SKR

Pink Floyd is one of the best progressive rock bands.
Michael Jackson rules.
True Doom Metal. For fans of Hour of 13, Reverend Bizarre, Cirith Ungol, Revelation, Witchfinder General. FOSD.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...2214502165672\
www.myspace.com/olorindoom

Old April 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
username345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoda77 View Post
That's controversial?

Can't think of much at the moment... White Noise's An Electric Storm and The United States of America's self-titled are the best psychedelic albums ever.
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Belligerent
Greekus Urungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathińs View Post
no
Yeah. And Queen.
Old April 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
username345

Quote:
Yeah. And Queen.
Agreed!
Old April 13th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
NinjaGeek

99% of rock music sounds horrible, because the electric guitar is such an ugly instrument. It should never be used unless for extreme heaviness as in metal, or if you give it a really unique sound that can't be achieved with acoustic instruments. If I wanna listen to soft music, I'll take acoustic guitar or a violin over electric guitar any day.
"I was eighteen months old," he said dreamily. "I slept in my parents' room and I saw them making love. I saw her give my father a hand job and I said, 'I can do better than that,' so I gave him a blow job. It's hard the first time you get caught," he continued , "but you just agree with them and say, 'Yes, I'm eating my father. He likes it. It's a good thing to do.' Then they leave you alone." -Maurice Nouvelle, The Dinosaur Man
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Ozzman
Commander Smooth

I am actually enjoying Nickeback's second album :x
Come on dude, you've been here long enough. You should know how this stuff works. The darkest, assholest tasting beer = the best. Only true metal accepted. Only blackest ov the black coffee accepted. I've noticed pretty much everything on this website is distorted reality from every other human being I've actually came into contact with.
This line will remain until Corrosion of Conformity (with Pepper) releases another album (4/15/08; amended 12/7/10)

Last edited by The Ozzman : April 13th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
NinjaGeek

Quote:
Oh yay, this will be fun.

Main issue I have with this, is who exactly separates the popular groups out from the rest? Certainly not the listeners, it's not like people who are into pop music listened to hundreds of boy bands and decided backstreet boys were the best at it. It's all the big labels picking who is most marketable. Lots of people I know, who listen to pop music, listen to it for the lyrics or the fact that it's catchy and easy to dance to. It's good at accomplishing that goal, and it's fine if people want to listen to it for that reason. But I definitely wouldn't call it good music.
"I was eighteen months old," he said dreamily. "I slept in my parents' room and I saw them making love. I saw her give my father a hand job and I said, 'I can do better than that,' so I gave him a blow job. It's hard the first time you get caught," he continued , "but you just agree with them and say, 'Yes, I'm eating my father. He likes it. It's a good thing to do.' Then they leave you alone." -Maurice Nouvelle, The Dinosaur Man
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
SouthernTrendkill
Super Normie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaGeek View Post
Main issue I have with this, is who exactly separates the popular groups out from the rest? Certainly not the listeners, it's not like people who are into pop music listened to hundreds of boy bands and decided backstreet boys were the best at it. It's all the big labels picking who is most marketable. Lots of people I know, who listen to pop music, listen to it for the lyrics or the fact that it's catchy and easy to dance to. It's good at accomplishing that goal, and it's fine if people want to listen to it for that reason. But I definitely wouldn't call it good music.
Well, to me, if a million people are vibing on it, then it has got to have merit. A million people aren't going to be getting something meaningful out of something that has no meaning. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best artist of that genre, since like you said there could be better bands they haven't heard.

I don't personally like any dance-oriented music. And I'll admit that I don't exactly have respect for dance-oriented music. But whose to say what primary objective 'good' music needs to have? There is skill involved in creating a kickass dance beat that's gonna get the whole floor grooving.

Honestly, the majority of my favorite bands are hugely mainstream. From Pink Floyd and Neil Young to Eminem and Pantera, and even bands like Burzum and Cryptopsy are among the most popular in their styles. It's not exactly dance music but I think the principle applies across the board. There may or may not be better bands in the underground, but all the bands at the top have a lot of quality. Great bands with enough exposure will become huge, and even if it's just the corporate masters dealing cards, if so many people like it then there must be something good about it. It's not like people who listen to The Backstreet Boys would literally listen to ANYTHING that gets fed to them. Some people would claim that they would, but that's bullshit. Pop fans are music fans just like anyone else, they listen to the stuff they like, the stuff that moves them and suits their desires.
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master_Yoda77
Jerking off to SKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by username345 View Post
That's controversial?

Can't think of much at the moment... White Noise's An Electric Storm and The United States of America's self-titled are the best psychedelic albums ever.
Well...on other forums I'd go to if I even mentioned that Pink Floyd is better then Rush I would get flamed beyond belief.
True Doom Metal. For fans of Hour of 13, Reverend Bizarre, Cirith Ungol, Revelation, Witchfinder General. FOSD.

Old April 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Einherjar86
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Well...on other forums I'd go to if I even mentioned that Pink Floyd is better then Rush I would get flamed beyond belief.
That's because people on other forums are dumbasses. You are of sound mind, my friend.

I'm with Ozzman, Nirvana is pretty bad.

And The Beatles are overrated. Really overrated. And in the same vein, John Lennon was not a great songwriter.

Borrowing from the Future: http://borrowingfromthefuture.blogspot.com/

My Science Fiction blog, Roadside Picnic: http://roadsidepicnictalks.blogspot.com/
Old April 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master_Yoda77
Jerking off to SKR

lol. Glad to see someone actually agrees with me for once.

I used to be a diehard Nirvana fan. Now I've grown to laugh at my obsession with Kurt Cobain. I will still put on one of their albums and enjoy myself though. Bleach is pretty cool.

I also enjoy The Beatle's old stuff. Stuff from Meet The Beatles and A Hard Days Night

Old April 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
challenge_everything

The Beatles are the most overrated band ever.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
challenge_everything

Quote:
This one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. This is basically the argumentum ad populum fallacy that JS Mill, among others, debunked hundreds of years ago. There is no logical connection between popularity and 'correctness' or 'truth'. And this is even more so in music.

I mean, there are surveys all the time showing just how stupid people are, ie a majority of people believe the Garden of Eden was a true story, that Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11 etc etc. Fact: most people are stupid --> most people have equally idiotic taste in music.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
Thoth-Amon
Hypochondriac

Quote:
Michael Jackson rules.
Yes on both accounts.First 4 MJ albums are great.

Not sure if these are controversial but here goes:

GNR is the best hard rock group ever (assuming you don't consider Led Zep or maybe Rush as hard rock).

Western Classical Music (Schubert, Bach, Wagner, etc.) is the greatest form of music in history and the greatest artistic achievment of the human race, some literature such as Shakespeare and Dostoyevsky is close.
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
NinjaGeek

Quote:
Well, to me, if a million people are vibing on it, then it has got to have merit. A million people aren't going to be getting something meaningful out of something that has no meaning. That doesn't mean that it's necessarily the best artist of that genre, since like you said there could be better bands they haven't heard.

I don't personally like any dance-oriented music. And I'll admit that I don't exactly have respect for dance-oriented music. But whose to say what primary objective 'good' music needs to have? There is skill involved in creating a kickass dance beat that's gonna get the whole floor grooving.

Honestly, the majority of my favorite bands are hugely mainstream. From Pink Floyd and Neil Young to Eminem and Pantera, and even bands like Burzum and Cryptopsy are among the most popular in their styles. It's not exactly dance music but I think the principle applies across the board. There may or may not be better bands in the underground, but all the bands at the top have a lot of quality. Great bands with enough exposure will become huge, and even if it's just the corporate masters dealing cards, if so many people like it then there must be something good about it. It's not like people who listen to The Backstreet Boys would literally listen to ANYTHING that gets fed to them. Some people would claim that they would, but that's bullshit. Pop fans are music fans just like anyone else, they listen to the stuff they like, the stuff that moves them and suits their desires.
The way I like to define good music, is music that has staying power in 10-20 years. Most people who listen to Pop music ditch it for the newer songs every few years, because you can only listen to catchy repetitive garbage so much. Quality bands sound good even 30 years after it was made, which is why there are still many fans of oldschool rock out there, but not so many disco fans around anymore (not to bash disco, just the mainstream disco scene is garbage from what I gather). Surviving the test of time proves to me that a music has a universal goodness to it, and isn't just a fad. I see lots of today's music dieing out, though I could be mistaken.
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
panzerfaust666
German Asshole

I love John Mayer tbh.
Love George Michael( who I am even seeing live)

www.myspace.com/marlonkmusic

R.I.P. Vitek
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
razoredge

Well, I dont have all the finickyness and personal quams I've seen listed here.... yet I have pissed people off the most and even got "the warning"........

no big surprise

My only non controversial opinions, that became controversial are that I dont like crap vocals and stupid music or lack thereof. Which pertains to a few specific genres...... need I make mention of them ?
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #24 (permalink)
EyeballKid
Shyamalan'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ozzman View Post

Nirvana is overrated

Quote:
John Mayer is a good singer and even BETTER guitarist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by challenge_everything View Post
The Beatles are the most overrated band ever.
Yes, yes, and yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ozzman View Post
I am actually enjoying Nickeback's second album :x
No.
Old April 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
Vimana

John Lennon is no legend.

The Beatles's influence on music is close to zero, the only thing they influenced was other pop music and it didn't last long.

Quote:
There may or may not be better bands in the underground, but all the bands at the top have a lot of quality. Great bands with enough exposure will become huge, and even if it's just the corporate masters dealing cards
I agree, pretty much every unsigned Prog band I have listened to sucked balls. The ones I love are the most popular ones like Pink Floyd, The Mars Volta and Dream Theater.

more opinions

The Beatles are nowhere near as talented as Pink Floyd, Yes, Black Sabbath, Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, or Emerson, Lake & Palmer.