Opeth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Unofficial / Extra / Archived Forums > Opeth (Archived) > Non-Opeth Music Chat
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-Opeth Music Chat Non-Opeth related music discussions - for Opeth fans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
SerenityNow!
*burp*

Nirvana...
I think the grunge movement had a shitload of influence in the '90s and early '00s.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #27 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityNow! View Post
Nirvana...
I think the grunge movement had a shitload of influence in the '90s and early '00s.
Yeah but I think this thread is more about metal bands that had an influence on the sound and development of the metal scene.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hox
Superiorly grim and kvlt

I think Rage Against the Machine should be mentioned.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
wut wut
ROADS ICY ROADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerone View Post
And Opeth... as great as they are, I have yet to really notice a large influence on the sound, scene and new bands... maybe in a few years we will see.
Opeth's style isn't being copied much be newer bands, but they have a massive fanbase for an extreme metal band and often draw in fans who are otherwise not much into metal.

The metal scene is not just the bands; the fans make up a huge part of it. So while Opeth may not be influencing the sound of newer bands at the moment, I'd argue Opeth fans are making an impact on the metal scene and culture.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
SerenityNow!
*burp*

Quote:
Yeah but I think this thread is more about metal bands that had an influence on the sound and development of the metal scene.
Regardless...

Plus, in these days, "metal" and "non-metal" have been increasingly crossing borders. There are "metal" bands releasing "non-metal" work, and it's all music in the end. '70s metal doesn't even come close to the standards that make today's metal, but still, many of todays bands are influenced by '70s "metal". In many aspects, I don't consider Korn , or Nirvana, "metal". Although they aren't at all metal (and they've been around a lot longer than 15 years), The Cure has even been increasingly influential in the metal seen. Take Katatonia for example. There are metal bands decreasing the amount of metal in their music, as well as the other way around. So where does the line get drawn?

Rage Against the Machine became extremely popular, but not as influential as (hate to admit it) Korn.

Last edited by SerenityNow! : January 13th, 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #31 (permalink)
Slunk

Quote:
And Opeth... as great as they are, I have yet to really notice a large influence on the sound, scene and new bands... maybe in a few years we will see.
Maybe this is because Opeth is so hard to copy? Have you ever seen a decent cover of Opeth..? Neither have I. Mikael is one and a kind, and any band to sound like opeth would require another super genius/skilled guitar player.

That being said...I think the influence of Opeth will be widespread in metal band in the upcoming years, but it might be too subtle to hear in their sound. It might be more idea oriented than sound oriented..if you know what I mean.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #32 (permalink)
grey knight
Etheraven

Actually it's already started, some guys in Revolution Renaissance mention Opeth.
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey knight View Post
Actually it's already started, some guys in Revolution Renaissance mention Opeth.
I got exited for a second... Finnish band that cites Opeth as an influence....

Too bad they suck giant rhino balls

Last edited by outerone : January 14th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #34 (permalink)
Bleakest Harvest
\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/

People sure are giving some bizarre answers to this thread - Metallica? Megadeth? Slayer? Bathory? Morbid Angel? These are/were all fantastic bands, but none of them have released anything 'influential' in the past 15 years. 15 years ago was what, 94/95? How could anyone say anything Metallica have done since then has been anything approaching influential? Also, it seems a lot of you don't understand the difference between 'influential' and 'good'. Porcupine Tree are a fantastic band, but it wouldn't be true to say they've been influential. Who, aside from Opeth, has claimed PT as an influence? For what it's worth, i'd say the most influential metal bands (on the understanding that 'influential' is distinct from 'good') from the past 15 years were, in no particular order:

Pantera - I don't even like them much, but there's no denying they had a huge influence on metal throughout the 90s. So many modern metal bands owe them a huge debt, particularly with regards to Dimebag's guitar style, which was very distinctive and has been repeatedly copied by innumerable bands.

The Dillinger Escape Plan - There must be about a million DEP copycats doing the rounds these days. They've been hugely influential, and pretty much spawned a genre of metal in themselves.

Korn - Some of you have been saying they shouldn't be anywhere near a list like this, but that's just plain denial. They were massively influential during the second half of the 90s, Christ, it seemed every new band that emerged for a few years back then sounded like a damned carbon copy of Korn. Blech. Influential yes. Good no.

Tool - As much as many people hate the rampant fanboyism that surrounds them, Tool were almost single-handedly responsible for putting prog-rock back into the mainstream. Their influence can also be heard in countless bands since the mid-90s onwards (and even more so after Lateralus was released), from their esoteric lyrics, artwork through to Adam Jones' guitar style and Maynard's vocals.

Meshuggah - So influential they've even influenced Tool (see 'Jambi' from 10000 Days). It seems like everyone's trying to insert a bit of Meshuggah into their sound these days - see the final minutes of Opeth's Deliverance. And then there's the sudden proliferation of bands who sound very similar only not as good.

Old January 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
truhlo

Well i could have omitted PT... i explained why i thought they could fit in though... The way i understood it, the list should not be solely about influence, or maybe not at all (title says "important"). I think that apart from making a distinction between "influential" and "good", one could re-examine what is truly influential as opposed to popular and present. I went for what i thought could be regarded as groundbreaking music, now or in future, and not for "influence" seen as not so talented band inspiring a bunch of not so talented musicians to play guitar or start a band... I personally believe that truly important and lasting music often rests buried deep in musical undercurrents, but eventually comes out to the surface and changes the landscape... That's why i think Opeth or PT are fundamentally more important bands than Korn or DEP, and especially will be so in years to come (not that i hate these bands, i even find it hard to understand widespread animosity aimed at Korn). I counted 15 years backward and projected 15 years forward so to speak...

I hope there will be more lists

Last edited by truhlo : January 16th, 2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #36 (permalink)
Discursion
Banned

I believe Iron Maiden is still one, if not the, biggest band in the world. But I agree with most of what the threadmaker said, and I think many modern bands habr big influences, since all we're hearing right now is pure crap. There's still exceptions, because everyone wants to be different from the lot. I don't want to name any bands right now because I don't really know about new stuff, but I believe old bands like Bathory did make a REAL and BENEFIC influence.

EDIT : Though I really admire the live ambiance brought by Pantera (and their music, at some points), I don't think they really influenced the musical world. The death of Dimebag Darrel has a big impact in the metal scene, but I can't find any progression according to this band in metal, generally.

Last edited by Discursion : January 16th, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #37 (permalink)
Arasmas
Banned

how did pantera influence anything, they were basically just a not as good version of metallica
Old January 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #38 (permalink)
grey knight
Etheraven

Quote:
I got exited for a second... Finnish band that cites Opeth as an influence....

Too bad they suck giant rhino balls
Does guitar player, producer being a fin, and the band recording (etc.) in finland, mean that it's finnish band?
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #39 (permalink)
Alteredmindeath
Pathfinder Chronicler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasmas View Post
how did pantera influence anything, they were basically just a not as good version of metallica

silence! you know nothing !
Old January 18th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #40 (permalink)
Discursion
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteredmindeath View Post
silence! you know nothing !
I don't have so much problem with this kind of answer, but at least, explain your thoughts a little bit. If he knows "nothing", learn him.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
RoadKing
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by truhlo View Post
This is a real fucking thread, thanks for this outerone!

I will do as instructed in the original post and pick up the bands that i feel might be "most important" regardless of my personal taste. Thus i will leave out bands like Katatonia, Ulver, Agalloch or Bathory (whose classic works date mostly from late 80s actually, just as Metallica's or Maiden's), in favor of Porcupine tree and Dream theater. I will also understand the "metal" genre label loosely and thus include such music that was sometimes only rooted in metal, or bands that only started out as metal bands or picked up metal influences at some point, but transcended the label and pushed the envelope further... These are my picks:

Porcupine tree - Steven Wilson is an unstoppable creative force and his primary band perhaps the most developed platform for ambitious and forward-thinking music that he composes. Although not such a big fan (thus far) i understand the importance of SW's musical and also intellectual figure, and the impact PT's music has on progressive youth...

Dream theater - In time i tended to change my stance toward this band, from passion to almost complete negligence, yet, when i pick up their best compositions, and also take in consideration their wide recognition and influence, i realize DT is one of the bands that may easily be seen as crucial to progressive metal of 90's and the new millennium...

The Gathering - Ever since Anneke joined the band, The Gathering created one of the most impressive streaks of brilliant albums ever!, varying their sound over and over, and also changing my understanding of what is and what might be seen as metal, and bringing the sense of sophistication and artistry that was rarely if ever present in rock music whatsoever. Interestingly, they remained rather quiet and humble about it. Such a subtly iconoclastic band!

Tool - Long time my favorite band, Tool is all i could ever ask of music. They managed to inject alternative rock sensibility and emotional depth into progressive and complex song structures of metal, making the sound and a genre all their own. They remained true to their strictly artistic approach, and made music that is defiantly art, nothing else, and nothing less! In addition, i have never found a lyricist so undeniably gifted with poetic and literary talent as Maynard James Keenan is. Tool has it all.

Opeth - Most beautiful, most terrifying and most metaphysical music i have ever happened to hear. It makes our miserable existence worthwhile Yet it doesnt even sound like music written by a human (not meant as a phrase, but a true impression), more like a creation of some omnipotent and malevolent deity. And its a fair judgment thrown at the world we live in ! Opeth!
Excellent post! What he said.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #42 (permalink)
Bleakest Harvest
\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/

Quote:
Have you been living under a rock for the last decade? Pantera might be a 'not as good version of metallica' (who they actually sound nothing like, so I've no idea where you got that from), but they've had a huge influence on metal in the last 15 years, fact. Countless guitar players have aped Dimebag Darrell's guitar style, and much of the whole 'metalcore' and 'deathcore' movements pilfer much of Dimebag's signature pinch harmonics. Phil Anselmo soundalikes are also ten a penny these days.

Old January 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #43 (permalink)
Discursion
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKing View Post
Excellent post! What he said.
Well.. yeah.. but he forgot too many times to talk about influences.

Also Bleakest Harvest is totally right about Pantera.

V Stop acting this way with others, you're passing for a troll.

Last edited by Discursion : January 21st, 2009 at 12:00 AM.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #44 (permalink)
Arasmas
Banned

well for a dull-brained metalhead with the username "Bleakest Harvest," i'm sure there is a chasm of difference in style between pantera and metallica, but reasonable broad-minded people can understand that the 2 bands have a similar aesthetic. except the biggest difference is that pantera was not that good and metallica whips ass
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM   #45 (permalink)
Bleakest Harvest
\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/

Quote:
well for a dull-brained metalhead with the username "Bleakest Harvest," i'm sure there is a chasm of difference in style between pantera and metallica, but reasonable broad-minded people can understand that the 2 bands have a similar aesthetic. except the biggest difference is that pantera was not that good and metallica whips ass
I'm a 'dull-brained metalhead' for pointing out that Metallica and Pantera don't sound anything alike? Are you trying to morally grandstand on the premise that you don't care about obvious differences between metal bands because you aren't a 'dull brained metalhead', and will therefore make completely useless comparisons? If so it's you who's the dullard. Anyway, you seem annoyed by my mere mentioning of Pantera, even though I wasn't even referring to their quality but their influence on metal in the past 15 years. In attempting to be a smartass you've completely missed the point of the thread genius.

Old January 21st, 2009, 06:17 AM   #46 (permalink)
Arasmas
Banned

k
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
murderedbysound
MurderedbySound

Slipknot-Though I used to listen to them and I know a ton of other people did as well. I think they brought a lot of emotion into their music. Even though there 4th CD was shit.

Smashing Pumpkins- I just remember on a local radio station they won like some ridicules amount of "cage" matches against other bands during the night. Great band.

Carcass- Simply put I think Heartwork is amazing and should be looked more so than In Flames, Dark Tranquility and Soilwork.

================================================== ========

Others were already mentioned that I was going to post. But I will add these 3 to the mix. Even though they aren't as popular with this board (possibly?) I think they have influenced plenty of people/bands.
Old January 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
Discursion
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderedbysound View Post
Smashing Pumpkins
Are we still talking about metal influences (bands)?
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:10 PM   #49 (permalink)
murderedbysound
MurderedbySound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discursion View Post
Are we still talking about metal influences (bands)?
At the time I was listening to them I considered them metal. Though, I know they are not now I like to consider them even a important hard rock band.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM   #50 (permalink)
NicholasDWolfwood

darkthrone. from the time "a blaze in the northern sky" was released, until present day, there have been hundreds upon hundreds of darkthrone clones and carbon copies, especially after they put out transylvanian hunger. not to mention that blaze, uafm, and th are all black metal masterpieces. if that's not influential or important, well...don't know what to tell you afaict.

that's my one response to this thread, since half of the replies in here are shit. (smashing pumpkins? porcupine tree? nightwish? opeth? what the fuck is wrong with you people? try picking bands that were actually important and influential, and stop naming non-metal bands when this thread is about the global metal scene you retards. clearly smashing pumpkins had a gigantic influence on the brutal death metal scene in the last 15 years, from the likes of incantation and immolation to decrepit birth.)