Opeth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Unofficial / Extra / Archived Forums > Opeth (Archived) > Non-Opeth Music Chat
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-Opeth Music Chat Non-Opeth related music discussions - for Opeth fans

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Atmosphere in darkness...

What really drove me to love scandinavian black metal in the 90 was the atmosphere. As harsh and evil as these band were there was always a deep element of emotion and atmosphere driven by deep melodies that drove the music.

As I look band and seek the current scene I wanna make sure there hasn't been any albums that Ive missed on, so please list some music you feel fits in the discription I have explained.

Bands and albums that I feel fit into this are: Shadowthrone by Satyricon, In Times before Light by Kovenant, Agalloch, Windir, (even) Dimmu Borgirs Stormblast album, Enslaved, early Arcturus, Emperor, early Borknagar and Primordial....

Are there any gems that I have missed such as Windir which I only discovered a few years ago?

Thanks!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hox
Superiorly grim and kvlt

Not that unknown, but just in case you missed them: Ulver's first three albums("Nattens Madrigal" and "Kveldssanger" in particular) and most of Taake's stuff. I haven't listened too much to the latter band, but I believe it might have what you are looking for.
Also, Wolves In The Throne Room are pretty damn awesome. And I'll just mention Deathspell Omega again, 'cause they obliterate so much.
Other than that, ask NicholasDWolfwood.

PS: Dimmu sucks.
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ross
valfri baguette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hox View Post

PS: Dimmu sucks.

Now the rain it comes, the rain it blurs the grey line
...the grey line...the Greyhound home
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
sadistik necrofiend
Furby goes nanners

Sigh has incredible atmosphere on the first 2 albums. I really like early Ulver of Course.
I would also have to add De Mysterious Dom Sathanas. That album has an insanely dark atmosphere. I remember listening to De Mysterious on shrooms once in a dark room and I about went crazy from some haunting force that just creeped the hell out of me. Not really a good idea while on shrooms to listen to that album. It could probably make a person go mad.
Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic! If static our hopes are in vain; if kinetic and this we know it is, for certain then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature.

-Nikola Tesla

Last edited by sadistik necrofiend : February 10th, 2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Yeah Ulver I got... and cant even believe I forgot them from my list... considering Bertatt is one of the greatest atmospheric albums of all time!!! Plus I do have Wolves In The Throneroom in my collection

Definitely getting Mayhem's De Mysteriis... album.
Old February 10th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hox View Post
And I'll just mention Deathspell Omega again, 'cause they obliterate so much.
For some reason I just cant get into Deathspell Omega... I like a little dose of melody in my black metal, but maybe I just havent sampled to the right stuff from them.
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Shapeless)))
-.!.. (-_-) ..!.-

Code - Nouveau Gloaming, get it immediately!
http://www.myspace.com/codeblackmetal
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
sadistik necrofiend
Furby goes nanners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeless View Post
Yeah that Code album is amazing.
Deathspell is not my favorite to be honest. The vocals are good, but remind me too much of Attila who I think is the master of the sick vocals, so it just kinda ruins it for me. The music is good, but I have a hard time getting into it.

Code is fucking killer though. Even though Graveland is racist shit, they have some really killer old stuff. Epilog and in the glare of the burning churches are excellent. The song Children of the Moon from Epilog in particuliar is very haunting with some of the best keyboards ever used in black metal. Check it out.
Throughout space there is energy. Is this energy static or kinetic! If static our hopes are in vain; if kinetic and this we know it is, for certain then it is a mere question of time when men will succeed in attaching their machinery to the very wheelwork of nature.

-Nikola Tesla
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapeless View Post
on it!!
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
grey knight
Etheraven

Cradle of Filth, especially the older albums.
(the new ones are more melodic than atmospheric, though they do have lots of atmosphere too.)

Oh, and Dragonforce has really dark atmosphere, try the new album...there's a goth girl in the cover.
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
NicholasDWolfwood

burzum - hvis lyset tar oss, filosofem
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas, ordo ad chao
darkthrone - uafm, abitns, transylvanian hunger
dso - smrc, kenose, splits post-smrc, fas
negura bunget - n crugu bradului (not sure if I spelled that right off the top of my head), om (certain parts are certainly dark)
velvet cacoon - genevieve, dextronaut
xasthur - a gate through bloodstained mirrors, suicide in dark serenity
leviathan - the tenth sublevel of suicide, massive conspiracy against all life, tentacles of whorror
lurker of challice - lurker of challice
twilight - twilight
austere - withering illusions and desolation
darkspace - dark space iii
coldworld - melancholie2
mgla - groza
nyktalgia - nyktaliga, peisithanatos
the ruins of beverast - rain upon the impure
s.v.e.s.t. - urfaust
taake - nattestid ser porten vid, over bjoergvin graater himmerik, taake
thorns - 1989-91 rehearsals, thorns
vinterland - welcome my last chapter
weakling - dead as dreams
code - neurotransmissions, nouveau gloaming

thats just from my ipod alone..note that all of those albums convey a dark atmosphere in different ways to me. for example, "massive conspiracy against all life" (leviathan) and "ordo ad chao" (mayhem) convey darkness to me by way of their production values and how the music is allowed to slither around the mix. "fas..." on the other hand, the darkness is conveyed in the aggression that runs into the ambient sections all while mikko is doing his trademark whisper-grunt over top. I'm awaiting some flaming for some of my choices (like weakling or velvet cacoon) but fuck it
Old February 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hox
Superiorly grim and kvlt

See, I told you.
Old February 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
To rid you disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasDWolfwood View Post
burzum - hvis lyset tar oss, filosofem
mayhem - de mysteriis dom sathanas, ordo ad chao
darkthrone - uafm, abitns, transylvanian hunger
dso - smrc, kenose, splits post-smrc, fas
negura bunget - n crugu bradului (not sure if I spelled that right off the top of my head), om (certain parts are certainly dark)
velvet cacoon - genevieve, dextronaut
xasthur - a gate through bloodstained mirrors, suicide in dark serenity
leviathan - the tenth sublevel of suicide, massive conspiracy against all life, tentacles of whorror
lurker of challice - lurker of challice
twilight - twilight
austere - withering illusions and desolation
darkspace - dark space iii
coldworld - melancholie2
mgla - groza
nyktalgia - nyktaliga, peisithanatos
the ruins of beverast - rain upon the impure
s.v.e.s.t. - urfaust
taake - nattestid ser porten vid, over bjoergvin graater himmerik, taake
thorns - 1989-91 rehearsals, thorns
vinterland - welcome my last chapter
weakling - dead as dreams
code - neurotransmissions, nouveau gloaming
wow, ive only heard like 5 bands off that list lol. better check some out!
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

To me the key element that creates the atmosphere is the collision of the rough and raw darkness of black metal and the beauty of a melody which is often created by some amazing keyboard work.
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ninfix
Gamer of life

Norwegian Black Metal sucks imo... No point in the shit they play
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hox
Superiorly grim and kvlt

please read my sig thoroughly
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Ninfix
Gamer of life

Oh u
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
PIM

Drudkh
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Chinese Whispers

Blut aus Nord - Mort

An amazing atmospheric album, although there is a chance that you wouldn't like it. It tends to divide opinion. Even amongst BM fans.
Old February 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #20 (permalink)
a55p2

You can find the better Dark Atmospheric band in the doom metal.Personal opinion.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #21 (permalink)
Crepuscularia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Whispers View Post
Blut aus Nord - Mort

An amazing atmospheric album, although there is a chance that you wouldn't like it. It tends to divide opinion. Even amongst BM fans.
As I was reading through this list, I was amazed that no one had mentioned The Work Which Transforms God - very chilling although its the only one by Blut that I've heard. How does MORT compare to it?

Also surprised no one has mentioned Axis of Perdition.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Nasty-Fire
Discursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anthropy View Post
Drudkh
Yes!
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #23 (permalink)
NicholasDWolfwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crepuscularia View Post
As I was reading through this list, I was amazed that no one had mentioned The Work Which Transforms God - very chilling although its the only one by Blut that I've heard. How does MORT compare to it?

Also surprised no one has mentioned Axis of Perdition.
morts terrible, it's a very far departure from their previous works. odinist was a bit better - merging the "avant-garde" of mort with the bm of twwtg, but the new album is by-far their best work since the first two.

I fucking lold at the retard who said there's no point to the "shit" that norwegian black metal bands play.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #24 (permalink)
outerone
Alchemy of the Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasDWolfwood View Post
I fucking lold at the retard who said there's no point to the "shit" that norwegian black metal bands play.
Every site has to have their trolls... people whos only feeling of power is anonymously posting assaults at people. Leave them be... life will take care of them.
Old February 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
NicholasDWolfwood

to elaborate upon this point...the extreme metal scene greatly benefited from norsk black metal, and black metal in a general sense. I believe it was ihsahn (of emperor fame) who sent opeth's first demo into candlelight, anyway?

black metal, as the norsk wave started, was anti-establishment. they felt that death metal had betrayed the underground scene and as such they were rebelling by making the most raw, ugly music that they could. albums like hvis lyset tar oss, de mysteriis dom sathanas, and a blaze in the northern sky are extreme metal masterpieces - and they all came out of the norwegian scene. they further pushed the boundaries of extreme metal. they have a very solid place in the history of black metal, and extreme metal as a whole. to say that these albums are "shit" and that "there's no point", you need to be either
a) deaf
b) retarded
c) both.