Turisas  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Turisas > Off Topic
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #26 (permalink)
CVC89

I've just finished The Silmarillion (4th time), and now I'm reading "Fragments of a Mathematic Discussion"; and I think I'll start reading another of Christopher Tolkien

Last.fm
blindguardianchile
Headcrusher
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 21st, 2011, 10:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
reignofterror
On The Road to Ruin

I have so much textbook material to read for my classes that I don't think I'll even have time to do any reading on the side.
My forensic anthropology textbook is very interesting though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Baseloaf

Fantasy/SciFi geek here. Think that kind of stuff goes well with music like Turisas.

Last reads were The Name of the wind (Patrick Rothfuss). Awesome fantasy novel without the usual waving with swords and fighting evil overlords. Very beautiful and emotional.

Also read Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card. It´s the 4th and final volume in his Ender saga. Great book, but not as awesome as the first two in the series.
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #29 (permalink)
Cari

I dont even get to read my own books anymore, at the moment I have the pleasure of reading the Finnish Copyright Act >.<
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
DoubleBassKillin

'The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bull, And The Battle Of The Little Bighorn' by Nathaniel Philbrick. (Autographed copy I got as a birthday present)

Good book so far. In America all we learn in elementary education is how brave Custer was and the great sacrifice he made. This book gives the reader more insight on the leaders of both sides during the last great conflict between the United States Army and the Lakota Sioux. Some say this battle signaled the end of Indian civilization in North American and I tend to agree. Though in the past 30+ years there has been great effort to preserve and 're-discover' Native culture and languages.

-Edmund Burke
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #31 (permalink)
yoyostep
Banned

Johnny's got his gun from Dalton TRUMBO ... Incredible book then movie that appears in the Metallica videoclip 'One'. Very good book ...
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
So, I changed over to reading "Touched with Fire - Manic-depressive illness and the artistic temperament" by Kay Redfield Jamison...
I got inspired to read this when browsing through my study-subjects and I stumbled over this book for the Artist Management course ad browsed some more, found it interesting and decided onr eading it already now...let´s see if it was a good choice XD
I can proudly announce that after having read like 180 pages of it today, I am done with the book and have to say that it wasn´t only really interesting from the psychological point of view, but also when it comes to being inspired from which poets to buy some stuff *laughing*

Next up (yeah, too lazy to continue the other unfinished book atm):
Taavi Soininvaara - Finnisches Blut ("Finnish blood")...at least it´s in German, I need some brain-relaxxing after this hard-to-read book LOL

STILL COMING UP:

Slash biography
and
"Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler (and no, I do not need this for university, I am into all this marketing stuff after having first hated it LOL)

Last edited by Cari : March 5th, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
KittiKataklysm
Omen

I'm mainly reading books about Quantum Physics, Astrophysics, theories of everything, it's all very interesting stuff. I really enjoys Brian Greene's 'the elegant universe', but I don't know how easy it would be to understand for someone who doesn't do physics.
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
CVC89

Utopia from Tomas Moro, 3rd time :P

Last.fm
blindguardianchile
Headcrusher
Old April 10th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #35 (permalink)
StephenSLR

Just started reading The Dirt.

s
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #36 (permalink)
Smudgee

Recently read Danger Close by Stuart Tootal
A very good read about the British Parachute Regiment in Afghanistan.
Also started reading D-Day by Stephen Ambrose
So far so good, a nice read about, you guessed it, D-Day.
Old April 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
Sampy Arctica™
ಠ_ಠ

Just finished the Green Mile series by Stephen King and absolutely loved them, as I do with most of Stephen King's work but I found the movie quite cheesy and lame in comparison. The books really pulled at the heart strings, the movie didn't quite connect to the viewer as much as the books did. But, not overly surprising.

I'm currently reading The Tome of Hercules by Andy McDermott but only halfway through. I have enjoyed it so far, though I find the action scenes a little drawn out. They'd be great for a movie but for a book...just a little too long winded for my taste.
Old May 9th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Cari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cari View Post
Slash biography <== DONE
and
"Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler
Alright, so I just finished the Slash biography after three days of intensive reading...I really liked it and enjoyed reading it, it was really written in a nice way, just there was one thing that started to annoy the hell out of me at times "but we´ll get later to that" or something similar was used so often that it really got me angry...face it, it´s not needed.
But besides this little tiny thing, it was really interesting to read, and might somewhen end in my hands for a second read because at times you find new things in such book that you might have not discovered at first...

And now, or well, on 17th (yay, holidays) I can finally start reading "Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler after it being covered by dust already since January hahahah >.<
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:59 AM   #39 (permalink)
Kele

WOW! Im actually reading a book! For an exam that is.. :P The first exam that I really have to read to since senior high xD Actually only the first essay based exam too since then.
"Media changes" - media history by various authors... Just wondering how someone can take something so interesting as it was on the lectures, and make it sound soooo dry and boring.
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Cari

Be happy.
I always have to read stuff for exams lol

After an "exciting" book on HRM, now stuff about Visual Communication.
I finally want to really read "Standing room only - Strategies for Marketing the Performing Arts" by Philip Kotler but... >.<
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
silent_night

haha read for school is never the good as read by your own :P

I got a Mario benedetti book latter discover are little reflexive stories so, just read few and took it to my shelf, i have one similar of Jadorowsky, i just like to read those when feel the need...so im in search of a new book to start :P
Old June 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #42 (permalink)
Sampy Arctica™
ಠ_ಠ

Business Law and Ethics, 5th Edition.

A combination of Business Law by Gibson and Fraser, Ethical Theory and Business by Beachamp, Bowie and Arnold, Business Ethics and Values by Fisher and Lovell and Australian Corporate Governance by Psaros tailored for the use of the Queensland University of Technology.

Yes, I'm clearly procrastinating here. -_-
Old June 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
KittiKataklysm
Omen

Reading my statistics book for an exam x.x
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #44 (permalink)
Prog is King

A Game of Thrones
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #45 (permalink)
Sampy Arctica™
ಠ_ಠ

Last book I read was Looking for Alaska, by John Green.

I loved it. About a socially awkward kid who moves to a new boarding school and the experience of being the new kid, making friends, falling for this intense girl and then the tragedy of loss. Very well written. May have even shed a few tears at a certain point in the book. May. Highly recommended, anyway.
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:56 PM   #46 (permalink)
Raven Fireeye

Yeah

I've read a lot of books.

I read and study ancient mystical and philosophical texts in their original ancient languages. That includes ancient scriptures mainly.
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:43 AM   #47 (permalink)
Sampy Arctica™
ಠ_ಠ

Currently reading the books that the Game of Thrones series is based on, A Song of Ice and Fire.
Right now, I'm just on the second book - A Clash of Kings // George R. R. Martin