Joey Sturgis  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Joey Sturgis > Off Topic
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:19 AM   #26 (permalink)
chrisadvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotet10 View Post
What do you mean only one cab?
One head* whoops haha
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
mmfkellen

Yes, we did use the lecto but since cab sims were limited for this project we used waves cabs instead of impulses I normally use. Glad you dig the tone!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
gotet10
Learner

That's cool dude! But quick question. How are cab sims.... limited? There's impulses EVERYWHERE on the web. I feel sure you could find some that sounds 1,000,000x better than the Waves Cabs.
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
mmfkellen

We didn't have an impulse loader at the time and I had been using that combination on my demos for that record. The multiband is what made that crappy cab sound good. I don't use the waves cabs anymore lol.
Old October 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
gotet10
Learner

I got you dude!
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #31 (permalink)
Ze4th0x
A Former Somebody

I love the new MMF songs, but the distortion kills it for me. I was surprised buying it from itunes to sound like that.
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
35forMVP

Can't wait for the new mmf album in 2012.
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
andrewroni

Thumbs up

I love this album so much!!

Kellen, pls.. any post processing tips on your guitars? This guitars dancing so nice with kick and bass. awe
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #34 (permalink)
CrossingPoint

^ +1
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #35 (permalink)
corybrunnemann

and of ANYONE in that band to engineer/produce it, i would think it'd be jake, he works at chango.

btw Joey mastered this, but MMF turned it down. js i'm a fan of chango and this cd rocks, but i heard the sturgis master and it kicked ass!!

http://corybrunnemann.com

Engineer | Producer | Songwriter
http://facebook.com/corybrunnemann

Songwriter | Vocals | Production at Through Arteries [click to "LIKE" us on fB]
http://facebook.com/througharteries

Personal Accounts
facebook.com/coryreecebrunnemann
twitter.com/throughcory
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #36 (permalink)
OneDaySky
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by corybrunnemann View Post
and of ANYONE in that band to engineer/produce it, i would think it'd be jake, he works at chango.

btw Joey mastered this, but MMF turned it down. js i'm a fan of chango and this cd rocks, but i heard the sturgis master and it kicked ass!!
And i bet Joey's didnt clip from start to end either! Its a great production that should of been mastered by a pro, Just Saying!

My Work:
https://soundcloud.com/watts-productions
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
kool98769

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDaySky View Post
And i bet Joey's didnt clip from start to end either! Its a great production that should of been mastered by a pro, Just Saying!
+1

I can't believe it got released with all the fucking clipping. Like seriously?
I mean it sounds punchy and all...but like, jesus christ. When the master is clipping so bad that you can barely understand the screams anymore that's a pretty big mastering issue. No reason the master needed to be that damn loud.
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #38 (permalink)
mmfkellen

As far as post on the guitars, just done multibanding. The rest was just my guitar and tight tracking. I love jake like a brother but hes no engineer lol, he just helps track at Chango. I wanted to master it but was afraid to hurt cam's feelings. And if really had heard joeys master you wouldn't say it sounded good bc it was the opposite.
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
OneDaySky
Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfkellen View Post
As far as post on the guitars, just done multibanding. The rest was just my guitar and tight tracking. I love jake like a brother but hes no engineer lol, he just helps track at Chango. I wanted to master it but was afraid to hurt cam's feelings. And if really had heard joeys master you wouldn't say it sounded good bc it was the opposite.
The recording is great though, just needed to maybe back off on the 2 buss, but maybe your 2012 release will blow our faces off just make sure it isn't clipping man, you guys deserve way better feedback coz you are 1 of the few more original bands in your genre.

My Work:
https://soundcloud.com/watts-productions
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
selke61
Music Producing Ginger

Bring back derrrrr soufffernnnnn riiifs!!! And I heard the same thing about the Joey mastering MMF thing, just yesterday from a band that went there. Not everyone is gonna love his stuff, it's nature.

Facebook| https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pure-...64114277055268
Old November 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #41 (permalink)
Goodfellas453
Always The Understudy Vox

i wish i could hear it for myself!

www.Facebook.com/alwaystheunderstudy

Check out my studio
www.Monumentrecordingstudio.com
Old November 9th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #42 (permalink)
mmfkellen

Yeah defintely no clipping on the next record especially since it's going to be our best and heaviest yet. Not really any "southern" riffs no lol, no one really cares anymore. I've learned that as long as it's good music people don't care what genre/style it is.
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
selke61
Music Producing Ginger

I don't know man, everywhere I look, seems people miss that "southern" feel. That's the problem with bands. They don't care what they play, as long as it sounds good and tickles little fanboys buttholes, who don't know what good music is, as long as they can "break face" to it -_-.

The band should play what they know sounds good. You guys have serious chops. Deff show that shit off. But not to say I don't like The Hollow. Seriously, you guys are one of the few bands left who are good. So wherever you guys go musically, I'm sure it will be killer.

Old November 13th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #44 (permalink)
mmfkellen

If you think that's what people are saying then you obviously haven't been looking on all the social media sites lol. I write every single note and will write whatever I feel like honestly (not to be rude haha). There are no "southern rock" bands these days because there is no real support or market for it, not to mention there is only so much you can do with it. It's just funny when people bring it up like I don't know what I want to write and what's best for my future.
Old November 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #45 (permalink)
selke61
Music Producing Ginger

I never said that haha. Of course you know what you are writing. I was saying, in reference to what you were saying, "we play whatever is good", that most bands don't care. Thats why I said you guys are one of the few bands who are good. I wasn't talking about yours. And the whole Southern thing was just something I liked, but if you don't write it, I won't get butthurt about it. You guys are still one of my more favorite bands.

PS I never read about people liking the Southern riffs, my friends and people I talk to loved it. I should have said that rather saying "look"

Old November 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
selke61
Music Producing Ginger

http://www.antlionblog.com/storage/b...=1254947719683 btw, just curious, which one are you. I don't really know anybody by name in the band except for Matty.

Old November 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
olif8
Minge

I'm just gonna put it out there that I can't listen to this album because of the mix. I don't mind the music and writing and whatnot (even though I much preferred the first album in every way, the mix on that record kicked ass), but every time I go to give it another shot, I bail within about 40 seconds. It's like, I understand what Cameron is going for but he goes extreme and overkills. I understand he wants a punchy snare with thump, but to THAT extent? Tight lowend, sure, but there's so much that it's cloudy and farty at times. Personally I just find it kinda amateur sounding, but judging from most people's responses I'm wrong

Welcome to the forum

Last edited by olif8 : November 13th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #48 (permalink)
Ze4th0x
A Former Somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by olif8 View Post
I'm just gonna put it out there that I can't listen to this album because of the mix. I don't mind the music and writing and whatnot (even though I much preferred the first album in every way, the mix on that record kicked ass), but every time I go to give it another shot, I bail within about 40 seconds. It's like, I understand what Cameron is going for but he goes extreme and overkills. I understand he wants a punchy snare with thump, but to THAT extent? Tight lowend, sure, but there's so much that it's cloudy and farty at times. Personally I just find it kinda amateur sounding, but judging from most people's responses I'm wrong
yeah, I was the same way, I bought it on itunes, listened to the first song, heard it clipping and turned to something else immediately. I pushed back listening to the album for months, basically October was the first time I tolerated it and went through the entire thing.