Joey Sturgis  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Joey Sturgis > Off Topic
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
3tuxedo

freaking PODfarm and logic

so i have had POD farm for quite some time and it sound pretty good for the most part. i have 2 really big problems though. number one and probably the most important of the 2, is i cannot for the life of me get it to produce waves. i have my guitar right into my firestudio tube and it sounds good, but when i record there are absolutely no waves at all, just one straight line. ?? ive tried adding in this DI ( AmazonAmazon ) so i can adjust the xlr preamps but it does nothing and makes it have feedback. any thoughts?

also, when i play 'juns' and mute it with my left hand, it makes this sort of swooshing noise after each one. ive adjusted the noise gate and cant seem to get it to go away. ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
timislegend

first: remove pod farm from that audio track, now connect a microphone to your audio interface and test the mic on that channel to ensure you are receiving a mic level signal into logic (make sure you have the correct routing configuration).

second: record the signal if you are able to hear it with input monitoring... then play the signal back.

third: on that same audio channel (you have recorded the mic signal) insert pod farm and listen to the signal response, if you are still hearing a signal then the plugin works correctly and it might be an audio interface/hardware issue.

fourth: if you are not receiving a signal, then the plugin maybe malfunctioning in which case contact line 6 regarding the issue... or reinstall pod farm on your computer in an effort repair any errors that may have happened during your initial installation.

question: is this the first time you are receiving this signal disparity? have you ever used pod farm on the current machine in the past?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
3tuxedo

ive been using the input straight from my guitar on the interface. that is 1/4 inch. my mic uses xlr. should i just use the DI?

and to answer your question i believe it has always been this way. im really not sure, i forget, which sounds ridiculous but its true.
Old October 26th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tuxedo View Post
i have my guitar right into my firestudio tube and it sounds good, but when i record there are absolutely no waves at all, just one straight line. ive tried adding in this DI so i can adjust the xlr preamps but it does nothing and makes it have feedback. any thoughts?
Do you get waves if you bring up the preamp gain? Also are you using the DI correctly? You need to connect it like this:

Guitar > DI-box jack input > XLR output > Microphone preamp, activate +48V phantom power -> Interface / DAW

http://soundcloud.com/ahjteam/sets/debut-album

Last edited by ahjteam : October 26th, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Goodfellas453
Always The Understudy Vox

yeah i use logic and a DI, it goes guitar to DI in and the XLR on the DI to my interface mic input, then with phantom power on it works perfectly in logic, i get a really good signal

www.Facebook.com/alwaystheunderstudy

Check out my studio
www.Monumentrecordingstudio.com
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Goodfellas453

before i used the DI supplied on my interface, its pretty good but countryman does better, but if your interface does have the intrument input NOT INSERT! then it would work, i kinda have a feeling your using the insert section, also on my interface theres a switch to make the 8th pre from mic input to guitar line input, maybe your has something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tuxedo View Post
also, when i play 'juns' and mute it with my left hand, it makes this sort of swooshing noise after each one. ive adjusted the noise gate and cant seem to get it to go away. ideas?
theres a ground lift on the DI you linked could be you have a ground loop, try switching the ground lift.

Check out my studio

Last edited by Goodfellas453 : October 26th, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
3tuxedo

my interface has six 1/4 inch jacks on the back of it. it says line input underneath all of them. thats what i have been using. but i used the phantom powered xlr inputs for testing the DI and there is even a light on the DI that tells you if it is getting the phantom or not, and it was.
Old October 26th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Goodfellas453

well first step would be getting the clean signal in and hot enough, so i would try your interface pre with a mic first, get the signal>swap the mic with the DI> plug guitar into the DI

Check out my studio