Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Music > Old School

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old School Talk about 80s Metal, Thrash etc

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #251 (permalink)
Wyvern
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezer
I'm finally back since Deron fixed my password up for me. Cripes! I was going through some serious withdrawls. It sucks to be able to read but not be able to post!
Yo roomie WB

Careful with the password it's the key to this paradise

NP: Freedom Call - 'Kingdom Come'

May God protect us from those who would speak in His name.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #252 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern
Yo roomie WB

Careful with the password it's the key to this paradise
Right back atcha Wyv!

Some of the best lessons in life are learned the hard way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 25th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #253 (permalink)
Wheezer

So, an update on the new job thingie.

They're waiting for some venture capital to come in before they can offer the job officially. They had me come in for lunch last Friday. Turns out the big wigs couldn't go so I went with five of the employees. Through general BSing I find out one of the dudes went to school with Dimebag and his locker was just a couple away from his. How funny is that? And he's into Old School Metal. Needless to say, I'm really hoping the money train makes a big stop at their joint.
Old April 26th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #254 (permalink)
Bryant
Mr. Sleepy

Quote:
So, an update on the new job thingie.

They're waiting for some venture capital to come in before they can offer the job officially. They had me come in for lunch last Friday. Turns out the big wigs couldn't go so I went with five of the employees. Through general BSing I find out one of the dudes went to school with Dimebag and his locker was just a couple away from his. How funny is that? And he's into Old School Metal. Needless to say, I'm really hoping the money train makes a big stop at their joint.
That's super cool. I hope you get on with that company. You could be a real "big wig" if the company takes off since it has so few employees. Things look pretty good for you. It's also cool there are other metalheads around. The people I work with are cool and tolerate my music, but none of them are metal-heads. One black guy I work with absolutely loves The Goo Goo Dolls though as strange as that sounds.
I have to stck to my blue collar stuff. I am a "Real" blue collar guy considering my work uniform is blue and my shirt has a collar, blue of course. I couldn't be happier though. I wouldn't change my career for $10,000 more a year. My job challenges the pure essence of problem solving.
I also apologize to everyone for being rather spotty in my posting (and to you Wheez for not making the disc I promised yet.) I am house hunting. Man talk about grueling work !! My wants/needs are extremely particular and peculiar so it is tough !!

Bryant

Bryant
Old April 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM   #255 (permalink)
kittybeast
Slave to Symphorce

Quote:
I wouldn't change my career for $10,000 more a year.
You would NOT change for $10K more a year?!? 10K is 10K and at an average wage increase of 6% it could take years to reach at a current employer. But when you're happy u r happy

Quote:
I am house hunting. Man talk about grueling work !! My wants/needs are extremely particular and peculiar so it is tough !!
What are your requirements? just curious as we had ours when we were looking and couldn't find all in one home. But for the next home will defo require all of my home needs to be met
Old April 26th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #256 (permalink)
Wyvern
Master of Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittybeast
You would NOT change for $10K more a year?!? 10K is 10K and at an average wage increase of 6% it could take years to reach at a current employer. But when you're happy u r happy
Right now I'm gladly change for $10000 a year...providing I have to do the same work or less

P.S $10000 gross or net?

Old April 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #257 (permalink)
J-Dubya 777
It NEVER ends

Either, in my case. I'm making half what I did in 2001, and I'll be lucky if I'm here 21 months and get my 35 cent/hr raise. Kinda pisses me off, I'm the first genereation of an IT dinosaur......

J-Dubya
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #258 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant
That's super cool. I hope you get on with that company. You could be a real "big wig" if the company takes off since it has so few employees.
Thanks man! I wouldn't mind being a big wig. It'd be kinda nice to manage from the perspective of an employee. I'm just looking forward to being challenged again.

Quote:
I have to stck to my blue collar stuff. I am a "Real" blue collar guy considering my work uniform is blue and my shirt has a collar, blue of course. I couldn't be happier though. I wouldn't change my career for $10,000 more a year. My job challenges the pure essence of problem solving.
That's what's cool about this joint. They're all about getting the work done without worrying about outward appearance. Plans are in the works to grow the hair out one last time before I lose it all. My wife is the one that told me I need to do it. I love that woman.

Quote:
I also apologize to everyone for being rather spotty in my posting (and to you Wheez for not making the disc I promised yet.) I am house hunting. Man talk about grueling work !! My wants/needs are extremely particular and peculiar so it is tough !!
Don't worry about it man! I'll be seeing you in a few weeks so I'll just give you a coupla noogies to make up for it! House hunting, eh? The Kojinator's big enough for his own room now I take it.
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM   #259 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
I took it as he wouldn't change careers for the money. Job, on the other hand, within the blue collar realm of things, would not be a problem.

6%? I'd like to see that kind of raise.
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM   #260 (permalink)
Bryant
Mr. Sleepy

Quote:

What are your requirements? just curious as we had ours when we were looking and couldn't find all in one home. But for the next home will defo require all of my home needs to be met
Absolutely not. I have "been around the block" so to speak, working here for two years, there for a year etc. I think extremely highly of both my skills and my "vision" of a way a business should be ran. I have a hard time dealing with rules and regulations that don't affect quality/efficiciency and safety and are only put in place to make things easy for upper management. I also am intolerant of "idiots" who are in management/supervisory positions due to nepotism or whatever. Those factors tend to limit my success in corporare life. I choose instead to befriend machinery and technology.
I don't think it is possible to "master" ANY trade or profession, but it is even more difficult to master what I do. As an industrial technician, I have to be competent with mechanical systems, electrical systems, electronics, hydraulics, pneumatics, welding and fabrication, machining, plumbing and anything that has to do with making repairing/maintaning/improving complicated industrial machinery.
I am not satisfied with being "competent" in those fields, but the best there is in not just one, but all of them. It is a daunting task and it is something I look forward to everyday. That is not to say, I have never been where I didn't feel like going to work on that particular day, but it is not due to my duties at work or because my current employer is not supportive of me become the best technician I can be.
As far as wage increases, I have only been with Flowers Foods for 15 months and have received a three dollar per hour raise and a promotion (to lead shift engineer) after only ten months of service. Unfortunately, in order to progress any more significantly, I will have to go into supervision then management which will limit my time building my skills. Being a shift supervisor wouldn't limit it that much, but progressing farther would be a detriment to my hands-on skills. That is a crossroad, I will deal with once I get there though, I suppose.

As far as requirements for my house ? I want land. I want five acres, but will consider three. The house is less important, but has to keep us comfortable for a few years until we build on the property. I need a shop in the back and a fenced yard (at least partially.) Ideally, to stay in my price range, a newer double-wide mobile home is ideal considering we will build a house on the land in five years or so after my wife is settled in her nursing career. A smaller modern house is also a consideration since we can build onto it, but something forty years old is not well insulated etc. would be a headache. I also want it sort of between my town and the one I work at and also in the country. I don't want it so rural we don't have neighbors, but I don't want those subdivisions around where they clear all the trees out and put houses 20 feet apart either. THese are two places I am considering...

http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC357081086B.htm
http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC333111086A.htm

I like the second of the two better due to the acreage and barn/shop even though it is a mobile home, not a stick built house. In the long run, it will cost more money for that one because I will have to build from scratch, as opposed to building on rooms with the other one. However, that property is perfect on the second one.

Bryant

Bryant
Old April 28th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #261 (permalink)
Bryant
Mr. Sleepy

Quote:
I took it as he wouldn't change careers for the money. Job, on the other hand, within the blue collar realm of things, would not be a problem.

6%? I'd like to see that kind of raise.
Quite right. I have found often times though..... the grass is always greener on the other side. Once you get into the "elite" corporations that have a high pay scale, it is often a union shop. Due to the impact of the union, often management throws in more rediculous rules and regulations. The union itself often has a lot of red tape and rhetoric as well.
My career is more to me than simply a means of earning money/benefits. I have to spend a great deal of my time at work and my employer has to meet me halfway. With the skills I possess, I could quit work today and be working within a month or two. I am not trying to sound too self-indulged, it's simply that I am very experienced at what I do and when you add in the fact that I am actually passionate about what I do, it makes for a good combination and a good employee.
The company I am at tolerates my idiosyncrasies because they respect the fact that I can not only help them maintain their profitability, but go beyond that with improvements I make to machinery. I have long hair, I smell like beer sometimes (only from the day before mind you) I am a fucking know-it-all when it comes to what I do, I bitch about other people not doing their job (including management) when it affects what I am trying to do, I order more parts and supplies than anyone else, I am more confrontational and imposing than even upper management pee-ons and I get paid to do that shit. I can't bitch at all.

Bryant

Bryant
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #262 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
I like the second of the two better due to the acreage and barn/shop even though it is a mobile home, not a stick built house. In the long run, it will cost more money for that one because I will have to build from scratch, as opposed to building on rooms with the other one. However, that property is perfect on the second one.
I like the second one too. That would be my choice, considering your plans. And those would be very nearly my plans as well. Both of those places would be worth at least twice as much here in Colorado. At least. Place them in the foothils and they'd be worth three times as much.
Old April 29th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #263 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
My career is more to me than simply a means of earning money/benefits. I have to spend a great deal of my time at work and my employer has to meet me halfway. With the skills I possess, I could quit work today and be working within a month or two. I am not trying to sound too self-indulged, it's simply that I am very experienced at what I do and when you add in the fact that I am actually passionate about what I do, it makes for a good combination and a good employee.
I now know for sure that you and I are brothers separated at birth!

I have told my bosses several times that money is not that important to me -- it is a tool, a means to an end. I found out recently that one of the other employees makes as much as I do. Not a big deal except that he's only been there four years to my nine. I helped them build that company from infancy to where it is now. I worked 50+ hour weeks on salary in the early days to help get things done. I brought in business through my connections to my last job. I feel like they have taken advantage of my honesty. That was the final straw that sent me on my quest for another job.
Old April 29th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #264 (permalink)
kittybeast
Slave to Symphorce

i like the second property. bank the 30k you wouldn't spend and use that to start your building. here is a listing of a manufactured home built at the top of topanga canyon. Note the square footage- sorry can't get a pic of it...

1. 1BR 1BA, 660 sq. ft. home on Paradise Ln., lot size 41,672 SOLD for $836,000.
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #265 (permalink)
Pabla
The Devil Wears Maiden

Hi everyone! I have missed you all... I do lurk sometimes so I am not all clueless as to what has been up lately.. but I don't get much time these days.

Been listening to the new Evergrey and Queensryche.. the Evergrey is OK, no masterpiece there, but enjoyable... the Queensryche... well, at first I was not too impressed, but after the 5th listen I am crancking that sucker! It has really grown on me and I am enjoying the heck out of it... I even love the opening track... with "The Hands" being the strongest track.
Old April 29th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #266 (permalink)
Wyvern
Master of Disaster

We've been missing you too Diabla, I hope everyhting is going alright for you. Drop from time to time, old regulars are the life of this place

NP: Blind Guardian - 'Age Of False Innocence'

Old April 30th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #267 (permalink)
bt9x

hello everyone!

i've been gone for quite a while
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #268 (permalink)
kittybeast
Slave to Symphorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt9x
hello everyone!

i've been gone for quite a while
Welcome back! *waves
Old April 30th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #269 (permalink)
TheWhisper
Cobra Kai Never Dies

Hello one and all...
Just five more days of work until I leave for Virginia. Going up next weekend to catch Spock's Beard on Sat. & Nevermore/Evergrey on Sun. at Jaxx.
And only comes in blue

So beyond repair
Nothing I could do
I tried to fix it myself
But it was only worse when I got through

You can have my heart
If you don't mind broken things

-Julie Miller 'Broken Things'
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #270 (permalink)
kittybeast
Slave to Symphorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhisper
Hello one and all...
Just five more days of work until I leave for Virginia. Going up next weekend to catch Spock's Beard on Sat. & Nevermore/Evergrey on Sun. at Jaxx.

Don't you feel guilty?!?!? I have to wait to see Evergrey in Sept.!

okay we'll each sing a song and buy beer!
Old April 30th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #271 (permalink)
TheWhisper
Cobra Kai Never Dies

Quote:
Don't you feel guilty?!?!? I have to wait to see Evergrey in Sept.!

okay we'll each sing a song and buy beer!
Uh, no...I'm sorry for everything I've ever said to you.
It would take more Bass Ale than could be found in the state of Georgia to get me to sing karaoke...but I will still enjoy your performance, though.
And only comes in blue

So beyond repair
Nothing I could do
I tried to fix it myself
But it was only worse when I got through

You can have my heart
If you don't mind broken things

-Julie Miller 'Broken Things'
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #272 (permalink)
rokk
Long Live =^.^=

Quote:
As far as requirements for my house ? I want land. I want five acres, but will consider three. The house is less important, but has to keep us comfortable for a few years until we build on the property. I need a shop in the back and a fenced yard (at least partially.) Ideally, to stay in my price range, a newer double-wide mobile home is ideal considering we will build a house on the land in five years or so after my wife is settled in her nursing career. A smaller modern house is also a consideration since we can build onto it, but something forty years old is not well insulated etc. would be a headache. I also want it sort of between my town and the one I work at and also in the country. I don't want it so rural we don't have neighbors, but I don't want those subdivisions around where they clear all the trees out and put houses 20 feet apart either. THese are two places I am considering...

http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC357081086B.htm
http://www.navicamls.net/listings/252/PC333111086A.htm

Bryant... Are you financing your purchase? If so, there may be some considerations with buying a mobile home. Both properties look like really good deals considering the land size! Are you working with a Real Estate agent? If you have any general questions, I am a Real Estate agent so I may be able to help.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:04 AM   #273 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabla
Hi everyone! I have missed you all... I do lurk sometimes so I am not all clueless as to what has been up lately.. but I don't get much time these days.
Hey! Good to see you back.
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:06 AM   #274 (permalink)
Wheezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhisper
Hello one and all...
Have fun and write something up when you get back!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM   #275 (permalink)
kittybeast
Slave to Symphorce

Pretty smokey in N.Y. today.... fire in a lot of Brooklyn warehouses:

Eighty units and more than 400 firefighters joined the battle, using several tower ladders on three street sides while five fireboats pumped water on the flames from the East River, a technique the department calls "surround and drown."

Skeleton Crew are you able to see through the smoke? Haven't talked to you for a while but can't wait to see you in GA again.