Ultimate Metal Forum

Ultimate Metal Forum (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/)
-   Old School (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school-152/)
-   -   Metal Guy on American Idol (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/old-school/669770-metal-guy-american-idol.html)

poundingmetal74 March 10th, 2011 04:03 PM

Metal Guy on American Idol

I've heard whispers from friends about this "Metal Guy" on American Idol. As usual, I figured it was a joke, but holy hell does this guy ever have some pipes (his voice sounds very reminiscent of Mike Metijevic). Here's him doing a Judas Priest cover. Check the screams at 1:05 and at the end.

kuier March 11th, 2011 12:12 AM

good pipes ... anyone know what the judges had to say after that?

carnut March 11th, 2011 08:40 AM

Great voice indeed !!!
Judges were very positive (for what's that worth off course), here's the full video;

autumnsoul March 12th, 2011 06:49 AM

^
Wow great voice!

Jan Thore Grefstad (Saint Deamon, Ex-Highland Glory) is attending at this year's "Norway's got talent". Here's his audition from yesterdays show singing "The voice within" by Christina Aguilera
(01.35)

Wyvern March 12th, 2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autumnsoul (Post 9708137)
^
Wow great voice!

Jan Thore Grefstad (Saint Deamon, Ex-Highland Glory) is attending at this year's "Norway's got talent".

Yes he has a good voice I got both Highland Glory albums, now they've got a female singer let's see how it works on the new one.

poundingmetal74 March 12th, 2011 12:55 PM

Saint Deamon are a great band and he's a great singer. Hope he goes far.

Though I must say I preferred them when they had Olaf Hayer singing for them.

carnut March 13th, 2011 08:10 AM

Never heard of Saint Daemon, but that guy has an amazing set of pipes !!!

No-Mercy March 13th, 2011 02:13 PM

both of those were awesome to watch...but i think my favorite was the dude from Norway carefully placing his foot ontop of the mic stand to strike the metal vocalist pose before the song starts. hahahaha classic.

Moloc March 13th, 2011 07:46 PM

I never watch American Idol and the one time I do watch it this guy is on. That's perfect timing. I hope he goes far. I haven't watched it since then. I suspect they'll make him sing a ballad next or something. Don't they have to show all sides of their talents by singing in different styles? I doubt he'll do another metal tune.

kuier March 14th, 2011 02:37 AM

I think he will do a metal song next .. that Uglyleera song prolly is classified as a ballad. Unless he gets something really cheezy as his next song. But yeah, he can wail and he shut that blonde bitch up.

zeppelin March 14th, 2011 10:45 AM

Idols Shmidols :bah:

Assault_Attack March 14th, 2011 09:02 PM

I'M a big fan of Jan Thore Grefstad's voice. Love the "wild willy's gang CD. :rock:

Assault_Attack March 17th, 2011 12:14 PM

A standing ovation for a priest song on American Idol, I never thought I would see that happen!! Nice job Mr. Durban aka The Metal Guy on AI.

It would be cool if there are updates on the progress of Jan Thore Grefstad on "Norway's Got Talent" also.

lennyvirus March 21st, 2011 04:56 AM

anyone feel like these sorta television shows were crying out for someone to break the mould?

Assault_Attack March 21st, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennyvirus (Post 9722859)
anyone feel like these sorta television shows were crying out for someone to break the mould?

I know I was, lol. My wife always watches these shows so I get hooked in at some point. Although I did not watch one AI the previous season.

Always hope that there will be some Metal/Rocker that will will pop up. It seems some of the shows in Europe have more of that going on. Wasn't there a guy from Findland? Sweeden? 2 years ago did a good job & ended up in a legit band I believe.

AI is usually watered down, Too many older R&B or safe classic rock or ballads.

Just my 2 cents.............

SickBoy March 23rd, 2011 10:48 AM

Durbin is really great! It's nice someone has balls to sing some proper metal in this kind of show and do it right!

Deconstruction March 25th, 2011 10:59 AM

Okay, that's pretty awesome. He's definitely talented. Is anyone else reminded of the movie Rock Star?

poundingmetal74 March 25th, 2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deconstruction (Post 9731319)
Okay, that's pretty awesome. He's definitely talented. Is anyone else reminded of the movie Rock Star?

Seeing as his voice is very similar to Mike Metijevic, yup. :)

jesterlove17 March 29th, 2011 11:25 PM

I hate to sound like a snob, but if he's on American Idol he's SUPPOSED to sound like that. I think the best singers of ANY genre are the ones with training, even classical training. Most of the guys on American Idol have awesome voices and would sound great singing a lot of classic metal, but they choose the pop music. Thank God they finally let someone switch it up a little

I mean, think about the best metal singers, they'd ROCK American Idol! Harry Conklin from Jag Panzer was classically trained and if he was on American Idol he'd be the first winner

Assault_Attack April 10th, 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesterlove17 (Post 9738978)
I mean, think about the best metal singers, they'd ROCK American Idol! Harry Conklin from Jag Panzer was classically trained and if he was on American Idol he'd be the first winner

That would have been amazing! Ryan Seacreast announces(sp) "and here is Harry Conklin singing "Beyond The realms of death" LOL.. :kickass:

joej666 April 23rd, 2011 04:50 PM

This is my favorite metal audition, without a doubt.

http://youtu.be/dfiSxzf9Ins