Opeth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Unofficial / Extra / Archived Forums > Opeth (Archived)
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
RETIREDTrapped
Banned

Audio Trip...

... Anything that you can put on headphones, close your eyes, and totally spin-out to?? (if you don't understand this thread, go away. I'm not talking about taking drugs. I am talking about music that spins you out...!)

The end of Spiral Architect's "Cloud Constructor" is amazing. Right through that bass and guitar-harmonic bridge, and then into that middle-eastern riff.

Tool - Reflections. What can I say??

The Tea Party - Inana, Inana II (off 'alhambra'), Lullaby.... Nearly ANYTHING by the tea party is worth it...

Alchemist - Road to ubar. HELL YEAH!!! This song is amazing.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Here's one.

Mayhem- 'Grand Declaration of War'.

I'm not sure if there are many black metal fans out there, but this is what happened.

I was getting into bed after a night's drinking and I had the headphones borrowed from a housemate cause my girlfriend was asleep beside me and I didn't want to wake her. Anyway, I plugged it in etc and it fucking blew me away. The intricate instrumentation and stereo quality was so strange... I was lying there wide awake for a good 40 minutes...

I've listened to plenty on the headphones before. Perhaps it was the massive alcohol intake, but I think Mayhem's 'Grand Declaration of War' (apart from being an amazing album in its own right) is a perfect contender for best 'headphone' album.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal Sage
Mind Of Out Sight Of Out

Re: Audio Trip...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trapped
... Anything that you can put on headphones, close your eyes, and totally spin-out to?? (if you don't understand this thread, go away. I'm not talking about taking drugs. I am talking about music that spins you out...!)

Off the top of my head, I would say Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan (Even though the guys were influenced by drugs)

Some Alchemist stuff is good too.

Some Burzum stuff (the earlier stuff being mainly metal, but still trance-inducing)....

Depends if you want stuff that will send you into a trance, or stuff that will put you in an atmosphere......
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Sorry for asking this here, but which Burzum are you talking about?

I want to buy a couple of Burzum c.ds. At the moment it's out of 'Filosofem' and 'Det Somg Engang Var'.... Am I on the right track?

Last edited by requiem : January 2nd, 2002 at 07:05 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
metalized

Skyclad "Losing My memory"
Destiny Dreaming
Vauxdvihl

Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal Sage
Mind Of Out Sight Of Out

Quote:
Originally posted by requiem
Sorry for asking this here, but which Burzum are you talking about?

I want to buy a couple of Burzum c.ds. At the moment it's out of 'Filosom' and 'Det Somg Engang Var'.... Am I on the right track?
Asking is no problem at all, requiem

The first Burzum I got was Filosofem, and it would be considered in the cross-over period, where Burzum crossed from straight metal to straight synth. Filosofem has 6 tracks, where distortion plays a huge part, but it also has a minimalistic feel to it. The last track on Filosofem lasts for about 25 mins, very basic synth riff repeated, with a couple more added in later.....real good for headphones IMO

The other Buzum CD I have is Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, which I would categorize as trance-metal (for convenience). 4 tracks, again, in the cross-over period, leaning slightly more towards guitars. Last track is a synth piece, again good for headphones. The other tracks last for a good 7-8 mins each.

I also have Hildskjaf (sp?), which is all synth, and rather minimalistic (and a bit shorter time-wise).

The earlier stuff I haven't had a chance to listen to.

Hope this helps.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Thankyou so much Ethereal Sage,

I've really needed some advice on these albums. So you recommend Filosofem? I like synth etc. Hviss Lyset Tar Oss sp? is also another album I'd be interested in getting.

The one that we don't know how to spell is also sitting on the shelves... so it sounds like it might be worth buying too. (starts with M!)

Thanks again.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kushantaiidan
SPASIBA AX.

The middle sections are always trance enducing.. because at this point of the album, you are so relaxed, so absorbed, and mikaels gentle voice takes you to an almost sleep like state.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zemb

Summoning
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Quote:
Originally posted by Kushantaiidan
and mikaels gentle voice takes you to an almost sleep like state.
Who are we talking about here? Opeth?
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ethereal Sage
Mind Of Out Sight Of Out

Quote:
Thankyou so much Ethereal Sage,

I've really needed some advice on these albums. So you recommend Filosofem? I like synth etc. Hviss Lyset Tar Oss sp? is also another album I'd be interested in getting.

The one that we don't know how to spell is also sitting on the shelves... so it sounds like it might be worth buying too. (starts with M!)

Thanks again.
Although I really like the trance-inducing qualities of the last track on Filosofem, I would recommend getting Hvis Lyset Tar Oss first, as I feel the minimalism of Filosofem may 'not be enough' for you.

With Hvis..., I really like the uplifting quality of track 3, I am confident it will be your favourite track of the album.

You can see the albums at www.burzum.com.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Cool, thanks man.

So far my black metal favourites have ranged from early Darkthrone, Satyricon, later Mayhem, Cradle of Filth, and Dimmu Borgir. Oh, and of course the might Emperor.

I figure Burzum is the next step. Actually, Hvis Lyset was already sold at my c.d store, but they had Filosofem there, as well as the 'M' one....

Help
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Spike
Blinded By The Light...

Ahhh.......morphis!

The more recent the better of course. The best you'll probably find is My Kantele (Acoustic Reprise), but more noteworthy would have to be 'Elegy' of surprisingly enough....'Elegy'. Not minimalistic I'll admit, but it definetly induces something.

Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Amorphis are amazing! Especially 'Elegy' which is my favourite of theirs.

My favourite from that album is either 'Weeper on the Shore' and 'Better Unborn'.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
Ethereal Sage
Mind Of Out Sight Of Out

Re: Audio Trip...

Quote:
Originally posted by Trapped

The end of Spiral Architect's "Cloud Constructor" is amazing. Right through that bass and guitar-harmonic bridge, and then into that middle-eastern riff.

Tool - Reflections. What can I say??

The Tea Party - Inana, Inana II (off 'alhambra'), Lullaby.... Nearly ANYTHING by the tea party is worth it...

Alchemist - Road to ubar. HELL YEAH!!! This song is amazing.
Are you refering to metal tracks that take you on a 'trip', or any track that take's you on a 'trip'? Also, can 'trip' refer to dark ambient/post-industrial music?....as I know of a few decent tracks in that genre.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Ethereal, I said "help!!!"
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
bleed for me

yea..tea party rules....lullaby is one of my fav. songs of the interzone mantras
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ethereal Sage
Mind Of Out Sight Of Out

Quote:
Ethereal, I said "help!!!"
Help with what? Did I miss something?
Old January 2nd, 2002, 07:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Spike
Blinded By The Light...

Stupid reason for a post I'll admit but of the 1500+ files randomised on the playlist it happened to pick........see below.P.s. Ask Ethereal what he's listening too......

Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Quote:
Originally posted by Ethereal Sage

Help with what? Did I miss something?
Yes... what's good? You know how late it is! I don't feel like downloading anything at the moment, plus I've got music on the stereo...

My question to you is, do YOU like Filosofem?
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ethereal Sage
Mind Of Out Sight Of Out

Quote:

Yes... what's good? You know how late it is! I don't feel like downloading anything at the moment, plus I've got music on the stereo...

My question to you is, do YOU like Filosofem?
Yes, I do like Filosofem, but I would have to say I like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss overall more.....

Filosofem is distorted and minimalistic, which isn't necessarily bad, but I rather like the last track.....25 mins of simple yet effective sonicscapes. I would like to translate the text that comes with the digipak I have (I assume it's on all versions), and the artwork is good as well, as are most of Burzum's covers.
As far as I remember, there are only 2 or 3 tracks I like on the album, the others are average.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 08:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
requiem
Disasters In The Sun

Cool, although the untranslated lyrics are a bit of a problem.

It sounds quite interesting actually because you don't seem 100% sure about it, yet you've given it the thumbs up...

I won't blame you for any problems
Old January 2nd, 2002, 09:15 AM   #23 (permalink)
mindflesh
Rainbow Satan Overflow

I agree, Tool - Reflection is really a 'trip'

And the first half of 'Filosofem' is amazing! NP one of the best Black Metal songs ever...

Old January 2nd, 2002, 11:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
MetalManCPA
Papa Opeth

Obviously Opeth has quite a few in this category, but Bleak was my first Opeth experience, and it was quite a ride.

I love The Tea Party - Inana, Samsara, Fire In The Head (there are more) are all zone material to me.

Kashmir by Led Zeppelin - my first real song to escape to. When I listen to it - leave me the f* alone - I want no interruption - I like the trance it puts me in.
Old January 2nd, 2002, 09:58 PM   #25 (permalink)
RETIREDTrapped
Banned

Samsara!!

Very good song. I forgot to add that.

Have you heard their new CD 'the interzone mantras', Pappa Opeth?? It's really good, totally different to Triptych. It's alot darker, and the songs are actually somewhat more progressive (?).