Opeth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Unofficial / Extra / Archived Forums > Opeth (Archived)
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Satori
Destructosaur

I am a lucky bastard

So anyway, there I am at a happy psychedelic trance rave on new years eve, quite sufficiently "stoned" on pure mdma, and I notice the sound engineer guy is wearing a black water park t-shirt. Feeling quite happy, quirky, extroverted, and freakish, I walk over to him and say "Opeth are the coolest thing ever." He says something to the effect of (I don't remember precisely): "Yea, I think so too."

What followed was a great deal of amazing conversation regarding opeth off and on over the course of the next 5 hours, we probably chatted for about an hour total (he was the sound guy, he had shit to do, otherwise I probably would've talked his ear off as I was feeling ultra-talkative, clear, and open, hehe).

So, you are probably wondering, who gives a flying fuck? Well, he is opeth's north american sound roady guy! He knows them really well and told me about them, their individual personalites and such, it was really cool, they sound like a great bunch of guys. Most notably, he told me about how fucking intelligent they are, particularly Mikael, but Peter and the Martins as well. He also spoke about the fact that Mikael is quite literally nothing less than a musical prodigy/genius but that he probably doesn't believe it even though everyone else thinks so. Just goes to show that true godliness leads to sincere modesty (so much for jesus, allah, jehovah, heheh).

This guy was an opeth fan himself, that's how he met them, he went to their show and ended up working for them, but he said some really cool shit that kinda blew me away (accented by the lazy/lovey/tripped-out high I was on). He talked about how opeth (and particulary mikael) are so beloved by the world, how the fans of opeth simply adore this band and how cool it is that that are so cool about it, not egotistical or anything, totally down to earth and totally great guys who genuinely appreciate all the love and respect they receive from freaks like us.

Talking to this guy about Opeth was fucking great and it really made my night. What made it extra cool is that I have this guy's email and he said that the next time they are here (probably in a year or more) then he'd be happy to get me a back stage pass and/or have dinner with them or something, whenever they have a bit of free time or something to meet me and my better half (she thinks opeth are great too). I met him briefly after a show once, but it was rushed and crowded and it's not like I had any time to talk or anything.

Anyway, I hope you have found this amusing, if not let me know so I can email you a pic of my hairy ass crack, hahhhah.

hail Opeth, living gods,

Satori

"Some believe all that parents, tutors, and kindred believe. They take their principles by inheritance, and defend them as they would their estates, because they are born heirs to them."

- Alan Watts
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
D Mullholand
[project closed]

That's hyper ! Real shit happens ! And there's gonna be a Double Album !

(sings a happy dodecaphonic melody in 7/4)

:spin: (wow - a rhyme - grin/spin ! harmony in the universe !)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lee_B
Readin' me posts are ya?

I found it amusing, but can you send a pic of the hairy ass crack anyway?

Lee B
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Melancholia
Troll

You are indeed very lucky Satori aaaaah,i wish i will be that lucky one day,too....anyway,thank u for posting this here.....

Lee_B@
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Satori
Destructosaur

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee_B
I found it amusing, but can you send a pic of the hairy ass crack anyway?
For you? Anything, hehe

Satori

"Some believe all that parents, tutors, and kindred believe. They take their principles by inheritance, and defend them as they would their estates, because they are born heirs to them."

- Alan Watts
Old January 2nd, 2002, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Satori
Destructosaur

Quote:
Originally posted by Melancholia
You are indeed very lucky Satori aaaaah,i wish i will be that lucky one day,too....anyway,thank u for posting this here.....
you are very kind, and that pic of you is intoxicating!

Satori

- Alan Watts
Old January 2nd, 2002, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jayde
Risparmiarme

AAAARGG!!!!! YOU SUCK YOU SUCK YOu SUCK!!!!!!! Nothing that good ever happens to me. NOTHING!!!!!!
Old January 2nd, 2002, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obyeybyeogone
Banned

We're going to make a "Satori interrogating Opeth thread", then Satori can print it out and force Opeth to answer all of our questions, then he can report back to us, this isn't a suggestion, it's an order
Old January 2nd, 2002, 10:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lina
kickass elizabethan style

between this and jim_lotfp's interview, my brain is on overload!!!
Old January 3rd, 2002, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
bleed for me

your right, you are a lucky bastard!
Old January 3rd, 2002, 01:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Kushantaiidan
SPASIBA AX.

Quote:
Originally posted by Satori

you are very kind, and that pic of you is intoxicating!

Satori
You think that's intoxicating! Look at LeeB's pic..
Old January 3rd, 2002, 03:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
HoserHellspawn
Pixel Manipulator

That's pretty damn cool, dude. No matter how big the world continues to grow, small connections that mean a lot to people like this can be made out of love for art. It's nice to hear that.
Old January 3rd, 2002, 05:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
MetalManCPA
Papa Opeth

well, not really
I could, but I'm not going to let it get to me

Yup, that basically rocks
Old January 3rd, 2002, 06:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
~Zeanra~
Tandtroll

Aaawww...I'm jealous again...
Anyways, great to hear/read stuff like this

Old January 3rd, 2002, 05:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Blackspirit
there are no words left

Satori; I'm SOOOO HAPPY for you!!! This is great!!! :o)))

Hope you'll get to meet Opeth, that would be brilliant! :o)
WHOA!!! I just got in a great mood!!! I love it when
things like these happen. Just like HoserHellspawn said;
It's a big world, but these small connections mean a lot!
It's what makes life interesting!
Old January 3rd, 2002, 07:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Malaclypse

i never want to meet some musicians whom i appreciate, for if i do, i will problably just stand there, lightning-struck, mouth open, and don't get any decent sentence over my lips. i simply wouldn't know what to talk about.