Opeth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Unofficial / Extra / Archived Forums > Opeth (Archived)
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #101 (permalink)
Sean Casey
Banned

I think it's a pretty good album. It has it's weak points but also has some incredible moments.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #102 (permalink)
xXBraveMurderDay

I enjoyed it alot more than Morningrise. But Morningrise is a hard album to get into.. so.. I don't know. But overall, I prefer the new sound over anything Pre- My Arms, Your Hearse era.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #103 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer101
I totally agree with you on that, I mean if you listen to it long enough it kind of grows on you. But it is definatly one of their worst albums. If GR was the first Opeth album that I heard I would be totally turned off, and probably never listen to them again.

Sorry, but that had to be said.
Agreed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:31 PM   #104 (permalink)
Slayer101

To me Morningrise is their best album, except for Blackwater Park, but it was the first opeth album that I got so it's kind of special to me. I got into it the first time I listened to it.

Old March 16th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #105 (permalink)
Braighs
twelve strings of darknes

I just now got a craving for TGC...and cream soda...weird...gotta go.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #106 (permalink)
EVH316

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXBraveMurderDay
I enjoyed it alot more than Morningrise. But Morningrise is a hard album to get into.. so.. I don't know. But overall, I prefer the new sound over anything Pre- My Arms, Your Hearse era.
Hmmm ... no. You lose.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM   #107 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVH316
Hmmm ... no. You lose.
Dunno man. MAYH/BWP/SL are the fan favorites.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #108 (permalink)
EVH316

What, all the 18 year olds on this forum?
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #109 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

What the hell does age have to do with it? People on this forum (who obviously are some of Opeths biggest fans and therefore a good representation of Opeth fans everywhere) favor MAYH/SL/BWP.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #110 (permalink)
EVH316

Based on some of the crap I read on here from 18 year olds - many of whom can't even string a sentence together - I'm reluctant to respect their opinions.

Now, although the three albums you mentioned are all lovely in their own special way, Morningrise is by far their most original, most interesting and most authentic work.

These days Opeth are bordering on generic and that is why I'm starting to cringe when people ask me my thoughts on them.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #111 (permalink)
Slayer101

But it just doesn't make sense Morningrise is much better than any of those, except BWP.

Old March 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #112 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

Quote:
Based on some of the crap I read on here from 18 year olds - many of whom can't even string a sentence together - I'm reluctant to respect their opinions.

Now, although the three albums you mentioned are all lovely in their own special way, Morningrise is by far their most original, most interesting and most authentic work.

These days Opeth are bordering on generic and that is why I'm starting to cringe when people ask me my thoughts on them.
Respecting their opinions or not, it's fact.

But I understand your point, and I agree with you.
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #113 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer101
But it just doesn't make sense Morningrise is much better than any of those, except BWP.
Did you make a typo... are you saying Morning is or ISNT better than SL and MAYH?
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #114 (permalink)
EVH316

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey
Respecting their opinions or not, it's fact.

But I understand your point, and I agree with you.
That's because I'm always right
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM   #115 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

Quote:
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #116 (permalink)
Led Opeth

Quote:
hey! that my quote! lol

"I Am The One Almighty" -Mikael Åkerfeldt
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:32 AM   #117 (permalink)
Led Opeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braighs
ROFL @ Rofl @ someon'es opinions of THE BEST SONG ON GHOST REVERITES.
Rofl@someone Rofling at someones Rofl@ Someones Opinions on The Best Song On Ghost Reverites....also...Lmao

Old March 17th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #118 (permalink)
Benighted Joe
Opethian

This is really depressing to read.

Of course, I can agree that the album aren't as hard as, say, MAYH, but who cares?
It's still pretty hard and filled with deep death voxx! I think its great they focus more
on the progressive and dark beautiful sounds!

500,000 halos outshined the mud and history
We washed and drank in God´s tears of joy
And for once, and for everyone,
the truth was not still a mystery
- A poem by Jimi Hendrix
Old March 17th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #119 (permalink)
Ermz
¯\(°_o)/¯

Quote:

You're kidding, right?
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:37 AM   #120 (permalink)
yeti349

Quote:
generic? interesting description
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #121 (permalink)
daz436
Konfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlfreak
Rofl at not understanding the mellow parts in Baying of the Hounds. I think the division of people who enjoy the album and those who don't enjoy the album as much is whether they are more of a prog fan or metal head.
PILE OF SHIT

I'm a big fan of Rush, and I mean BIG, I also highly respect bands like Camel & Porcupine Tree. I'm not a metal head despite liking a number of metal bands, and what is all this shit about 'not understanding' the music? Fuck off please if it bores me I dont listen, if it excites me I do.
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM   #122 (permalink)
Braighs
twelve strings of darknes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Opeth
Rofl@someone Rofling at someones Rofl@ Someones Opinions on The Best Song On Ghost Reverites....also...Lmao
good YOU got the point.
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM   #123 (permalink)
Led Opeth

lol

Old March 17th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #124 (permalink)
Hlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz436
PILE OF SHIT

I'm a big fan of Rush, and I mean BIG, I also highly respect bands like Camel & Porcupine Tree. I'm not a metal head despite liking a number of metal bands, and what is all this shit about 'not understanding' the music? Fuck off please if it bores me I dont listen, if it excites me I do.
Lol, your a moron. Go get educated about blues and jazz and come back to me. The main reason you don't like it is because you don't understand it, period. If your attitude toward music is one in which upon first listen it bores you so you don't listen to it again, how are you supposed to enjoy more music? Or learn about new music? If you don't care, then you can stay in your prison of ignorance.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #125 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cináed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powers
Basic jist of the thread: Guy says Ghost Reveries is shit, Mike replies "Well we like it so, fuck off"
And you know what, its his band.

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.