Opeth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > UM Forums > Unofficial / Extra / Archived Forums > Opeth (Archived)
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #126 (permalink)
Nobiss
I Find Trust In Hate

Wow, I can't believe this threads still going on! Lets just all agree that everyone has a different opinion. In my opinion Ghost Reveries is a good album, not my favorite Opeth album, but it's hard to top classics like Blackwater Park, Morningrise, and My Arms, Your Hearse. Still a great one though!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #127 (permalink)
all_sins_undone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse
You're kidding, right?
Moonie, Morningrise may not be Opeth's most inventive album, but GR is definetly closer to generic music than any other Opeth album.

Cough The Grand Conjuration Cough
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #128 (permalink)
MegaMoose
Tentacles

Hardly.
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:14 PM   #129 (permalink)
Braighs
twelve strings of darknes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMoose
Hardly.
+1
The only generic thing they ever did was the opening riff to Master's Apprentices. And it still ruled.
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM   #130 (permalink)
daz436
Konfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlfreak
Lol, your a moron. Go get educated about blues and jazz and come back to me. The main reason you don't like it is because you don't understand it, period. If your attitude toward music is one in which upon first listen it bores you so you don't listen to it again, how are you supposed to enjoy more music? Or learn about new music? If you don't care, then you can stay in your prison of ignorance.
Ignorance? I think you are the one being ignorant. You can't tell me what I do and don't understand as you dont know anything about me, so fuck you and fuck your opinion about me. I'm not a metalhead, I didnt even like metal or much rock until 3 or 4 years ago, and my taste varies across genres you probably don't even know exist. And if you actually must know, I loved every second of the album for months until it drew thin, so I'm not talking about hearing something once retard. The music doesnt have the same prolonged substance as albums such as Still Life and Blackwater Park, its interesting to hear and get involved in but doesnt maintain this after my 100th listen. You are one of these cunts who doesn't understand that music is about taste and approach. Not everyone is like you. Once again, fuck you.

Last edited by daz436 : March 17th, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #131 (permalink)
daz436
Konfused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braighs
+1
The only generic thing they ever did was the opening riff to Master's Apprentices. And it still ruled.
Grand conjuration
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #132 (permalink)
Hlfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz436
Ignorance? I think you are the one being ignorant. You can't tell me what I do and don't understand as you dont know anything about me, so fuck you and fuck your opinion about me. I'm not a metalhead, I didnt even like metal or much rock until 3 or 4 years ago, and my taste varies across genres you probably don't even know exist. And if you actually must know, I loved every second of the album for months until it drew thin, so I'm not talking about hearing something once retard. The music doesnt have the same prolonged substance as albums such as Still Life and Blackwater Park, its interesting to hear and get involved in but doesnt maintain this after my 100th listen. You are one of these cunts who doesn't understand that music is about taste and approach. Not everyone is like you. Once again, fuck you.
Let me guess, your 16? At least type a mature rebuttal if your going to respond. Otherwise, you come off sounding like a dolt.
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #133 (permalink)
Tubbs
Bi-weekly top album:

Haha! People who argue are fucking stupid. I've learned from much personal experience!

1 more post to go...
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:14 PM   #134 (permalink)
HazeM*
face of..

I AGREE WITH DAZ AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT ON

But u mention ghost reveries in the title, Grand Conjuration can suck my dingdonger and goto hell imo
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #135 (permalink)
daz436
Konfused

Quote:
Let me guess, your 16? At least type a mature rebuttal if your going to respond. Otherwise, you come off sounding like a dolt.
Just like that right? And no I'm not 16.
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #136 (permalink)
Hlfreak

Quote:
Just like that right? And no I'm not 16.
Yea, using the word "fuck" three times and "cunt" in your response doesn't help. To be honest I do agree with some of the points that you made. I generally like Still Life and Blackwater Park over Ghost Reveries. However, I love each album differently as each have taken a different approach. Ghost Reveries would probably be in my top three albums from Opeth. Perhaps I just got tired of the over bashing of Ghost Reveries that has been going on? And, generally personal attacks don't help an argument. Obviously, we are both at fault for doing that. So, if you would like to compare Opeth albums musically with me in a constructive debate, that would be awesome.
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #137 (permalink)
reidie

Quote:
Lol, your a moron. Go get educated about blues and jazz and come back to me. The main reason you don't like it is because you don't understand it, period. If your attitude toward music is one in which upon first listen it bores you so you don't listen to it again, how are you supposed to enjoy more music? Or learn about new music? If you don't care, then you can stay in your prison of ignorance.
"Go get educated about blues and jazz and come back to me" "Prison of ignorance"

Way to make yourself look like a fucking tool - regardless of how good the points you make are, you will never be taken seriously talking like an arrogant cunt.
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #138 (permalink)
daz436
Konfused

Quote:
Yea, using the word "fuck" three times and "cunt" in your response doesn't help. To be honest I do agree with some of the points that you made. I generally like Still Life and Blackwater Park over Ghost Reveries. However, I love each album differently as each have taken a different approach. Ghost Reveries would probably be in my top three albums from Opeth. Perhaps I just got tired of the over bashing of Ghost Reveries that has been going on? And, generally personal attacks don't help an argument. Obviously, we are both at fault for doing that. So, if you would like to compare Opeth albums musically with me in a constructive debate, that would be awesome.
I would much prefer that.
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #139 (permalink)
Nobiss
I Find Trust In Hate

So much hatred in this thread guys... Come on -

Old March 17th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #140 (permalink)
Hlfreak

Quote:
I would much prefer that.
So, personally I believe as a whole still life is Opeth's strongest album. Maybe because it is a concept album, it has a great flow throughout. The added use of the ebow gives the music added texture. The guitar riffs are awesome. Blackwater Park has a similar atmosphere as still life I would say, with some more experimentation. The ebow is also put to great use in this album. The great production also helps this album excel. Ghost Reveries has a lot of experimentation that gets me excited about future Opeth albums. I see it as a streching out musically for them. The added use of keyboards and more mellotron help this album. The bass playing is also excellent. I also enjoy the blues influence on this album. So if the the next Opeth album can combine the cohesiveness of still life with the additions of keyboards and mellotron sucessfully, it will be amazing.
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #141 (permalink)
daz436
Konfused

agreed. but i just dont think reveries cut the biscuit. it had some clever almost ambient style sections but it feels more like a been there done that kinda thing.. the mellow part of BotH reminds me too much of the track Blackwater Park but I dont think it's done quite as well. Harlequin forest was my favourite track for a long time, but as I say the calm section is too similar to To Bid You Farewell. Maybe the album was just an anticlimax for me cos I was expecting so much as a follow on from BWP (seeing as D&D werent your typical opeth albums with them being split).
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #142 (permalink)
MegaMoose
Tentacles

People complain no matter what. If bands don't completely redefine themselves on an album people accuse them of not progressing, and if they drastically change, they get accused of "screwing their fans over" or whatnot. People should just accept music for what it is and enjoy it.

Things like this bother the hell out of me. For example, a lot of people have complained that Opeth is predictable. But when they try something unpredictable (like the part in Ghost of Perdition where it suddenly changes to acoustic-- the "road into the dark unaware" part), people complain that it's sudden and there's no transition. Well maybe that's the point. I honestly don't care whether there are transitions or not, as long as it sounds good. Unpredictability is nice at first, but I prefer songs that stand up to repeated listening, and nothing is unpredictable on the 50th listen.

So yeah...people are stupid.
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:52 AM   #143 (permalink)
Hlfreak

Quote:
agreed. but i just dont think reveries cut the biscuit. it had some clever almost ambient style sections but it feels more like a been there done that kinda thing.. the mellow part of BotH reminds me too much of the track Blackwater Park but I dont think it's done quite as well. Harlequin forest was my favourite track for a long time, but as I say the calm section is too similar to To Bid You Farewell. Maybe the album was just an anticlimax for me cos I was expecting so much as a follow on from BWP (seeing as D&D werent your typical opeth albums with them being split).
Yea. Honestly, I can't wait to see what they do next. I think many people believe that they are going to make Ghost Reveries part.2, but I think they have something else up their sleeve.
Old March 18th, 2006, 01:21 AM   #144 (permalink)
Led Opeth

yes, its gonna be called "Ghost Reverites"...its gonna be sorta like metallica with load and reload, and they are gonna have "In My Time Of Need II" on it...lol

"I Am The One Almighty" -Mikael Åkerfeldt
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #145 (permalink)
Nobiss
I Find Trust In Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Opeth
yes, its gonna be called "Ghost Reverites"...its gonna be sorta like metallica with load and reload, and they are gonna have "In My Time Of Need II" on it...lol
I can't fucking wait!

Maybe they will all cut their long hair and start putting gel and mouse and shit in it too! And maybe even cut their songs down to 3-4 minuites! Ghost Reverites: Reloaded

Last edited by Nobiss : March 18th, 2006 at 02:36 AM.
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #146 (permalink)
Hubster

I cant even bring myself to buy a copy of Ghost Reveries... SECOND HAND!

On the other side of the coin, I would go right ahead and buy 10 copies of Still Life.
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:42 AM   #147 (permalink)
Nobiss
I Find Trust In Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hubster
I cant even bring myself to buy a copy of Ghost Reveries... SECOND HAND!

On the other side of the coin, I would go right ahead and buy 10 copies of Still Life.
Why would you need or want 10 copies?
Old March 18th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #148 (permalink)
Deadlift

Ghost of, Baying of, Harlequin, Beneath are 4 good songs. They sound Opeth for me. I don`t like the rest, the rest feels like leftovers and make the album as a whole weak. ( i don`t hate thoose songs but they aren`t as good as any songs Opeth have done earlier at all)

Just my opinion.
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:00 AM   #149 (permalink)
Hubster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobiss
Why would you need or want 10 copies?
I wouldnt. Point being that I consider it more than worth spending a lot of money on were it needed.

Ghost Reveries on the end hand is a dreadful piece of work.
Old March 18th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #150 (permalink)
Nobiss
I Find Trust In Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hubster
I wouldnt. Point being that I consider it more than worth spending a lot of money on were it needed.

Ghost Reveries on the end hand is a dreadful piece of work.
Your face is a dreadful piece of work!