Orphaned Land  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Orphaned Land
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM   #51 (permalink)
uncle_wally

"Only" Waterfalls, but amazing ones. Besides, in Iceland you can see the Aurora Borealis, right? That is also amazing and I think that it would be something lovely to see...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM   #52 (permalink)
Dj÷full

Well, the northern lights.. not often. But maybe a few times during winter.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM   #53 (permalink)
lozanoje

Hi:

I will show you my province through a special route which is typical here. It's the castle route. Valladolid (the place I live) it is part of the old Reign of Castile, which is the pillar of Spain (in a medieval sense).

All of these buildings are inside my province, which has only 197,91 squared-kilometres. The actual region of the Reign of Castile contains 5 provinces more that contain many more buildings like these.

Encinas de Esgueva's Fortress (Encinas de Esgueva).

Fuensalda˝a's Castle (Fuensalda˝a).

Iscar's Castle (Iscar).

La Mota Castle (Medina del Campo).

One of the most important castles of Valladolid. It was the residence of the well-known Spanish princess Juana I of Castile (Juana la Loca/Juana the Mad) and daughter of the Catholic Kings, and later it was used as special prison for important people (imprisoned as part of the politics game).

Montealegre's Castle (Montealegre).

Pe˝afiel's Castle (Pe˝afiel).

The most important castle in Valladolid. It is called "Castile's Ship" because of its ship-like shape if you look at it with perspective. It is said that it was Don Juan Manuel prince (Alfonso X The Wiseman's nephew), also a poet, that willing to live next to the sea (Castile is in the inside of Spain and does not have any shore) ordered to build a ship-like castle.

The stone that forms it seems to get darkened when it is about to rain. It is said that it is because of the special material it was used to build it.

Currently it is the Wine Museum, this region it is the most important (along with La Rioja) wine-region of Spain: Ribera del Duero (trademark).

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM   #54 (permalink)
lozanoje

Portillo's Castle (Portillo).

Simancas' Castle (Simancas).

It looks like it has not any defensive abilities, it is more like a residence, but it is the most beautiful castle in Valladolid. In the xvi century Felipe II made it the General Archives of the Reign (a place to store official documents), and it is the use it has been given up to day.

Tiedra's Castle (Tiedra).

Torrelo's Castle (Torrelo).

Trigueros del Valle's Castle (Trigueros del Valle).

Urue˝a's Castle and City Walls (Urue˝a).

The most important part of this small village it is the City Walls. From the top of them you can see a landscape of the typical Castile wheat and abrley fields. It is said that is "the sea of castile", because of the shape of the region: plain and still, like a see in calm.

Villafuerte de Esgueva's Castle (Villafuerte de Esgueva).

Old February 3rd, 2011, 02:58 AM   #55 (permalink)
lozanoje

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTikva View Post
While a native of Belgium, since 1.5 years I am living in Spain, although some locals would insist to say I live in Catalonia
Obviously there are people that doesnt stand with the reality there: they are part of Spain and they have never been a state itself (only as the County of Barcelona, maybe?) but always a part of the Crown of Aragon and Catalonia, and later as part of the Crown of Castile and Aragon.

But it is sad that politics use those people to achieve their goals, and all in all, it is a political issue that it is part of every nation...

... though Belgium it is not the best example of what I am saying, of course...

corp
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #56 (permalink)
HaTikva
Dreams of the Middle East

Location: wandering between native Belgium and far off places
Yeah, tell me about it. In 1 week we will officially have broken the world record of longest government formation... Unless some miracle happens and Belgium gets a government within the next week. Chances of that happening are smaller than chances of a UFO landing in your back yard. It makes me feel quite ashamed of being Belgian when seeing all the political hassle, especially when knowing those far right parties are the ones to blame...

Here in Spain I'm a member of a political party. It is a Catalan one, but I don't interfere in the independence debate, I see that as an issue to be left to those who were born and grown up here. That said, I'm not really pro-separation. I lived in 6 EU countries now and really, Spain's healthcare system and social security are good. If Catalonia would separate from Spain, there'd be insecurity if this would remain as such. And what about international recognision? I can see other countries with separatist regions not recognising the Catalan independence, and before you realise you end up in a situation like Northern Cyprus which is economically isolated because of its lack of diplomatic ties with other countries. So I'm not exactly pro-independence for Catalonia, I'll leave the issue though to those born and grown up here.

Nathalie, I would love to visit Cordoba too. It was the center of the area where jews, muslims and christians used to live side by side. Consequently, the city offers some of the most ancient churches, mosques, synagogues in the country and one of the most diverse cityscapes in Spain I hope to visit the city soon. Pity it's so far from Barcelona, it's the whole other side of the country so a train drive down there would take like over half a day...
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #57 (permalink)
lozanoje

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaTikva View Post
Nathalie, I would love to visit Cordoba too. It was the center of the area where jews, muslims and christians used to live side by side. Consequently, the city offers some of the most ancient churches, mosques, synagogues in the country and one of the most diverse cityscapes in Spain I hope to visit the city soon. Pity it's so far from Barcelona, it's the whole other side of the country so a train drive down there would take like over half a day...
You should travel to Toledo, it is another multicultural place, and it is quite close to Madrid. I personally love Toledo, it is one of my fav cities of Spain.

http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain...-ancient-spain

To the politics issue: What's the party? CIU? ERC? I (personally) wouldnt be part of a political party if I do not support its main theme.

lozano
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #58 (permalink)
EvilFever
Pilot the Dune

Old February 21st, 2011, 06:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cinßed

All of you people living in beautiful places!!!

The old Manchester NH library, 1908 from a postcard. I live in Manchester now, but I'm from California...

One of my favorite places in my country, the California Pacific Coast Highway.

The Pacific Northwest Redwood forest... thousands of years old and trees can grow over 100m tall!

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:17 PM   #60 (permalink)
Kenneth R.
Cinßed

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_wally View Post
"Only" Waterfalls, but amazing ones. Besides, in Iceland you can see the Aurora Borealis, right? That is also amazing and I think that it would be something lovely to see...
I would love to share some of my honeymoon Iceland photos. BEAUTIFUL country!!

The greatest story leaves you before a door to the dark. felix, qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #61 (permalink)
Morticia NL.
Orphaned sister

OK, Toledo is on my list. I also loved all of those castles, reminds me of France and the Loire valley. I visited there as a child with my parents.
The Pacific Northwest Redwood forest looks like a mysterious place, fit to play music of Loreena McKennitt there.
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #62 (permalink)
HeathenPride
Agressive Member

I think, the "biggest" Istanbul thing is the seagals following the ferries and people who feeds them by simit : )