Nightwish (unofficial) - Ocean Souls of America fan club forum  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Nightwish (unofficial) > Other Bands/Concerts
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
seraph7
elitism sucks!

@silent night. When you get back can you let me know whether they plan to play lots of stuff off 'Unia' or do they have a good spread of songs from all the albums? Just curious.
Hope you enjoy it. I'm seeing them next month.

My NaNo Novels 2008 The Poisoned Veil and The Rival Nightingales
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/305280
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Tramz
OSA Council Member

Woot. VNV Nation is doing a ton of touring for their Judgement album. I just noticed last night that they are coming around again, so today i bought tickets for their show in Brooklyn on November 18th.

They aren't metal, they have dubbed their style of music 'Futurepop', which is sort of an offshoot of EBM/Industrial. They have been a favorite of mine for many years. I've seen them twice thus far.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Jibrille
We Have To Go Back

I've seen VNV once in NYC about 2 years ago (a few days before New Years). I've had bad luck attending a show since. They were supposed to play at the club near my house but it was cancelled about a week before (why they were playing the club I don't know since there are few fans of that kind of music in this area) and the 2nd was at Toad's Place in New Haven, CT but there was a huge snowstorm so I couldn't drive out. I was in my car and had to turn around because I passed a few cars off the road after only a few miles of driving and decided my life was more precious than the show. I'd probably see them in Rochester but I'm going to be poor between Sonata in 2 weeks, Progpower in 3, followed by Nightwish, In This Moment, & Porcupine Tree and a few other shows all in Oct/Nov. I'm having to scale back on some shows (like Therion) because they're simply expenses I can't add and many are on weekdays and I've run out of vacation time. Living 2-3 hrs from a number of good venues is both a blessing and a curse.

Now, where's my giant foam cowboy hat and airhorn?
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Tramz
OSA Council Member

Yeah screw dying for a concert. As for VNV, what can you do? At least it's not like they aren't likely to be around again in the next year or two. The two times i've seen them were April of this year on the Judgement tour and in 2005 for the Matter+Form tour. I had a chance to see them all the way back in.. i don't remember.. 2000 i think? Somewhere around there. The tour where the Live in NYC bootleg came from. A friend of mine at the time tried to get me to go, but i wasn't in a very concert-going frame of mind in those days. All she did afterwards was tell me how i should have went because it was recorded and going to be released :P

Oof you have to miss Therion? Now that *does* suck. But again, what can you do?
Old September 15th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #30 (permalink)
C.
OSA Webmistress

Quote:
Living 2-3 hrs from a number of good venues is both a blessing and a curse.
Story of my life, I have to miss out on a lot of great concerts because of lack of money/transportation. It especially sucks when you used to live in a major city and could go to any concert whenever you wanted, and then have to resort to picking and choosing.

Oceansouls of America: Marco's favorite obscure cult since 2003!

OSA's Resident Bitch: Pissing in Your Haterade Since 1978.
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #31 (permalink)
Trogdor 666
Brawltrocuted

Oy, I spent WAAAY too much money last weekend, and that's why I'm now going to FOUR, yes, FOUR shows in October!

Sept 26: Machine Head/Arch Enemy @ Troc
Oct 16 - Nightwish @ Troc
Oct 17 (One Night Later) Static-X/Shadows Fall/3 Inches of Blood @ Troc
Oct 30: Type O Negative/Lordi @ Troc
Oct 31 CKY/Cradle of Filth/GWAR on HALLOWEEN @ Electric Factory

And there's more tours coming, like Ozzy/Rob Zombie and I'm digging the guitar stylings of Avenged Sevenfold (DAMN GUITAR HERO!), so I may be seeing them in November as well. I need to start selling organs or plasma or something, I need cash.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #32 (permalink)
St Enigma

So, you've got coming up

Oct 30 LORDI
Oct 31 GWAR

Ain't this something? A masked ball on two nights in a row

Now we'll for sure get a first hand witness to tell us if these bands really have anything in common and who also is able to review the shows and hopefully answer to these eternal questions fought on Blabbermouth.net: Which of the two put up a better show? Which of the bands does suck less?

Old September 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Trogdor 666
Brawltrocuted

Indeed, I'm seeing LORDI and GWAR back to back nights on Mischief Night and Halloween! How cool is that?! Philly is a lucky city. I've seen Lordi 3 times so far this year and EVERY show has been awesome, but live GWAR is a thing of legend, so I can't wait to see them for the first time. I also plan on wearing the Ghostbuster costume I plan on buying to both the shows!
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
seraph7
elitism sucks!

Hiya!
I've come back from seeing Turisas in London. It was brilliant! Do you want me to do a play by play review type thingy?

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM   #35 (permalink)
Tramz
OSA Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph7 View Post
Hiya!
I've come back from seeing Turisas in London. It was brilliant! Do you want me to do a play by play review type thingy?
Excellent! Sure, a concert review, pictures.. whatever you like, make a topic for it and post away :]
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #36 (permalink)
Trogdor 666
Brawltrocuted

I got 2 tickets to see IRON MAIDEN on March 14th at the Meadowlands!!

I know Maiden's probably going to be doing a larger US over the summer, but I don't care, Maiden always puts on the best concerts I've ever seen and this "Somewhere Back In Time" tour gives me so much hope for another excellent show... oh, and did I mention it's the ONLY US show besides Los Angeles?!

YIPPIE MAIDEN!!
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #37 (permalink)
C.
OSA Webmistress

Right on!

Going to see Ozzy the Monday after Thanksgiving, it should be interesting.

Old November 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #38 (permalink)
Trogdor 666
Brawltrocuted

Oh yeah, I also got tix to see Ozzy in January, but seriously... MAIDEN!!!!!
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #39 (permalink)
C.
OSA Webmistress

Wish Maiden were coming here.

But, after Ozzy, my concert budget is pretty well tapped, unless I get some cash from Santa or something.

Old November 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #40 (permalink)
Iced Dog
The Stormrider's Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph7 View Post
Hiya!
I've come back from seeing Turisas in London. It was brilliant!
Speaking of Turisas...

US Paganfest Tour

Quote:
ENSIFERUM, TURISAS, TŢR and ELUVEITIE will team up for the Paganfest America tour beginning in April. Confirmed dates so far are as follows:

Apr. 25 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
Apr. 26 - Montreal, QC - Medley
Apr. 27 - Worcester, MA - Palladium
Apr. 28 - Springfield, VA - Jaxx
Apr. 29 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's
May 05 - Seattle, WA - Studio Seven
May 10 - Orange County, CA - California Metalfest
May 15 - Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX - Ridglea Theater
May 16 - San Antonio, TX - The White Rabbit

More dates will be announced soon.
Ensiferum and Turisas!!! They damn well better hit Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarwynHywel View Post
anything with a dragon/sword/elf on the cover is probably good
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
pinkxplatypus

March 14th - Iron Maiden @ Continental!
April 5th - Symphony X @ Nokia Theater =)
February 3rd - Sonata Arctica @ Starland Ballroom

I love your avatar thing, tramz. haha.
Old November 19th, 2007, 03:58 AM   #42 (permalink)
Kerttu666
Beschuit...

November 24th - Sonata Arctica (and Epica)
December 7th - Ensiferum
March 23rd - Nightwish ...FINALLY!!!

Already saw Korpiklaani earlier this year, they were awesome of course
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
Tramz
OSA Council Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxplatypus View Post
March 14th - Iron Maiden @ Continental!
April 5th - Symphony X @ Nokia Theater =)
February 3rd - Sonata Arctica @ Starland Ballroom

I love your avatar thing, tramz. haha.
Heh yeah, i saw your avatar in the Sonata/Firewind thread and i commented to myself about it :] Hey, he *is* "the greatest guitar player ever to have lived". Surely he deserves some avatars ;]

I also like that the "Z" kind of goes along with my handle.

As for upcoming concerts.. well tonight (11/18) was VNV Nation! It was the last concert i actually had tickets for. They aren't metal, but much love for VNV. I absolutely plan to pick up my ticket for that Symphony X/Epica concert on April 5th @ Nokia. I'm probably also going to the Amon Amarth concert on December 3rd @ BB Kings.

No doubt there is plenty more on the horizon. I just don't know about it yet

Last edited by Tramz : November 19th, 2007 at 04:35 AM.
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #44 (permalink)
pinkxplatypus

No, you lie.
He has been exposed for what he really is, a nerd..
A nerd...

I can't wait until the April 5th show.
I had no clue Epica was playing, but that makes it so much better.
Do you know who else is playing?
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #45 (permalink)
Tramz
OSA Council Member

Yup, i do. Symphony X, Epica, and Into Eternity.

Here is the blabbermouth link to back me up.

The only thing i don't care for is how Epica has gone from headlining to supporting someone. They are definitely a headlining band here at this point. But hey, SymX and Epica in one night? I'm not about to complain. :]
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
pinkxplatypus

Eh, when comparing the two.. I'd definitley say that with Symphony X & Epica together, Symphony X is clearly the headlining band. That's probably because I'm very prejudice against female vocalists.. Epica is actually the only band I think a female voice fits wonderfully in. I'm not a big Into Eternity fan.. I saw them with Dream Theater and eh, didn't really do much for me.
Old November 19th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #47 (permalink)
Tramz
OSA Council Member

Well i'm not saying that Epica should headline and SymX should open for them. I'm just saying that if Epica tours, they should do so as a headliner and not open for anyone.

Really? You don't generally care for female vocals in bands? I'll assume you've given a proper try to bands with amazing vocalists like After Forever (Floor Jansen's voice is a favorite of mine), Within Temptation, and of course, Nightwish.

As for IE, yeah they aren't my cup of tea either. I've said as much in a number of my event reviews. Actually, it's starting to get a bit annoying. They show up on every tour they can manage their way into. It's getting to be overkill. They deserve credit for being hard working, but you know, if you are just plain ole good, while you still have to put in some serious work, you shouldn't need to work quite as hard as they. On top of that, i am more than happy when a concert is just two bands.. unless it is a grouping that i happen to especially love.
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #48 (permalink)
pinkxplatypus

Well.. I was reading something, and it didn't really say that it was Symph X and then random opening bands, it was like.. Symphony X + special guests.. so although they're headlining, I don't think it's the typical opening-band-thing, I'm sure it'll be quite a bit more than that.. since they are "special guests" and everything. but yeah, I've given female vocalists more tries than they deserve :P Idk, they're okay if you're like.. Kelly Clarkson or something, but in metal bands, I'd just prefer more powerful male vocalists. I think I'd be way more into Epica if the guitar player had a bigger role in the band.

"i am more than happy when a concert is just two bands.. unless it is a grouping that i happen to especially love"
thats exactly what I wish it would have been for the Sonata show. I would've LOVED for it to just have been Sonata + Firewind.. I personally couldn't stand The Agonist, and Unexpect.. well, while I give them credit for being unique.. I really didn't like them.
Old November 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #49 (permalink)
seraph7
elitism sucks!

Didn't get to go to Sonata but I'm going to Within Temptation on the 27th and I might stir my stumps and watch Therion before Xmas. Nex year I want to see Bodom + Moonsorrow, Turisas again and Nightwish of course!

I can't believe you guys in th U.S get Ensiferum + Turisas ! Lucky buggers I would kill to see that !

Old November 20th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #50 (permalink)
DemonXeno
One with the ocean

might see these bands:
Sonata arcitca
rotting christ
Roatersand
seabound
INFORMATION SOCIETY
DE/VISION
Ensiferum
trial of tears
aquabats( yea you heard me AQUABATS!!!!)
afro man
blue scholars
angels and airwaves
tori amos
queen of the stone age

@ seraph7 we are luky enough for that tour casue ensiferum isnt mainstream hell i dont think viking/folk metal is mainstream but still we are greatful or i am even though its in a shitty venue that will be hot and sweaty and is impossible to find