Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > The Philosopher

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Philosopher Intelligent (and mature) discussions only.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Alex78
Fretbuzz Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreTheLastMen View Post
Norsemaiden, I'm always tempted to read your comments until I check out your links. Then I realize that someone who advocates for a drug friendly, society of racially segregated polygamists can't really be worth reading.
true
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #27 (permalink)
Einherjar86
Winter is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemaiden View Post
Sexual promiscuity causes a lot of trouble in society because it spreads disease, can be linked to sexual violence, causes unwanted children to be born who don't know their fathers and cheapens the whole idea of love.

On the contrary, sex is the most basic and animalistic of instincts. We as humans have completely polluted the notion of sex by linking it with "true love" and "marriage." Consider this; what most defines a marriage? I would answer the sharing and divulging of secrets between two lovers. The deep and intellectual conversation that you have over a private dinner or while lying in bed.

That to me defines a loving marriage.

And yet what is considered cheating? Not when you speak intellectually or confidentially with a member of the opposite sex, but when you engage in the act of intercourse with him or her.

The sanctity of sex is overrated. Sex, in its most basic form, is the union of a man and woman in order to procreate. There is no form of deeper or higher love there; only an instinctual sense of attraction. The human race has attributed too much romantic sensibility to the act of sex.

Theory: http://borrowingfromthefuture.blogspot.com/

Fiction: http://roadsidepicnictalks.blogspot.com/
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
waif

Well said. I agree completely.

Not that it should be wrong to talk with other women...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #29 (permalink)
Einherjar86
Winter is Coming

Oh, not at all. Everyone needs friends to confide in other than their spouses; ironically, that's how some marriages stay together.

However, maybe it should be RIGHT to be able to have sex with other women...

Theory: http://borrowingfromthefuture.blogspot.com/

Fiction: http://roadsidepicnictalks.blogspot.com/
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
Blowtus

It isn't WRONG at the moment. All you have to do is convince your partner it's a good idea...
Old February 17th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
waif

That's true, and that's a recent development - I think perhaps people, at least in western society, are beginning to realize that sex isn't such a big deal, so such open relationships are becoming more common. Although some would have it that this is a sign of the decay of our society.
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #32 (permalink)
WeAreTheLastMen
Metacom

Location: Brookline MA - Heavy Metal Capitol of the metro Boston area (maybe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreInFlames View Post
That's true, and that's a recent development - I think perhaps people, at least in western society, are beginning to realize that sex isn't such a big deal, so such open relationships are becoming more common. Although some would have it that this is a sign of the decay of our society.
Depending on how common you think open relationships are becoming, I would certainly see it that way. I'm not really down with the open relationships, I think it's kind of a ridiculous concept. If you want to have a lot of sex, you just go right ahead, but don't try to pretend you're in a relationship. That's just fucking stupid.
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
waif

I think open relationships are a bad call, overall...the whole point is that you don't fuck other people.

Look at it this way:
If you have sex with other people and you talk with other people then you and your partner don't really share anything exclusively.

I'm not promoting open relationships.
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
Pyro_Fish
Banned

Quote:
Cheapens the whole idea of love? I don't see how...Actually, if sex is easy to get, and there's no need for a relationship then wouldn't that make each relationship stronger, since there was no ulterior motive other than romantic (and not sexual) interest in the other partner? That's one interesting point that came up in that monster post (not that that moron did it on purpose) - the division between romantic interest and sexual drive.
sex drive is self-ish
love is self-less
the first post is saying that having multiple friends is slutty by purpousfully blurring the line between "romantic love" (loving boyfriend/girlfreind/spouse) and "non-romantic" love (loving siblings/parents/children)
the first post is basically saying that "love-ing" multiple platonic friends, is, morally, the same as feeling "romantic love" for multiple people
Old March 27th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
Pyro_Fish
Banned

Quote:
I think open relationships are a bad call, If you have sex with other people and you talk with other people then you and your partner don't really share anything exclusively.

I'm not promoting open relationships.
the thing that you end up sharing exclusively in a "relationship" doesn't neccasarrily have to be the sex part, that's merely a Christian concept

i don't believe in sexual monogomy, biologically it's just not normal

if i'm having sex with someone and somebody else says to me "i've never told anyone this before...." and then tells me something deeply personal, i'm gonna feel a much stronger emotional attachment to that person than the person i'm actually having sex with, then if the person who told me their deep dark secret went out and told that secret to somebody else, i'm gonna feel more betrayed than if the person i'm having sex with ends up having sex with someone else
Old March 27th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #36 (permalink)
Pyro_Fish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar86 View Post
On the contrary, sex is the most basic and animalistic of instincts. We as humans have completely polluted the notion of sex by linking it with "true love" and "marriage." Consider this; what most defines a marriage? I would answer the sharing and divulging of secrets between two lovers. The deep and intellectual conversation that you have over a private dinner or while lying in bed.

That to me defines a loving marriage.

And yet what is considered cheating? Not when you speak intellectually or confidentially with a member of the opposite sex, but when you engage in the act of intercourse with him or her.

The sanctity of sex is overrated. Sex, in its most basic form, is the union of a man and woman in order to procreate. There is no form of deeper or higher love there; only an instinctual sense of attraction. The human race has attributed too much romantic sensibility to the act of sex.
i completely agree with this post
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:42 PM   #37 (permalink)
St. Onan
Onanist

Selectivity = upward, willlessness = downward.

St Onan's Seed Catalog
- satire for the astute cynic
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #38 (permalink)
waif

1. Avoid epic bumps
2. Ignore pyrofish. He's banned for a reason.
Old April 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
WeAreTheLastMen
Metacom

Location: Brookline MA - Heavy Metal Capitol of the metro Boston area (maybe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einherjar86 View Post
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in five weeks.
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
waif

Actually, I think he's right. Only I would replace the word "marriage" with "relationship"
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #41 (permalink)
razoredge

actually in real life there are varying situations and varying responces according to the individuals and state of their relationship. In any case, where their is not a clear meeting of the minds in regards to what makes two people close, the relationship is doomed.

key word for consideration intimacy

Old November 20th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

Quote:
Ok, but how many of those are sex's fault? Disease? If people were good about testing, condoms, and hygiene, shouldn't be an issue. Sexual violence? if people weren't assholes, wouldn't happen. Unwanted children? If people weren't total dumbfucks about condoms and birth control and certain backwards morons would stop whining about abortion, wouldn't be a problem.

Cheapens the whole idea of love? I don't see how...Actually, if sex is easy to get, and there's no need for a relationship then wouldn't that make each relationship stronger, since there was no ulterior motive other than romantic (and not sexual) interest in the other partner? That's one interesting point that came up in that monster post (not that that moron did it on purpose) - the division between romantic interest and sexual drive.

It's odd, Norsemaiden - from all your other posts you seem to be into eugenics and now I'm hearing about love?

As to what you're saying about having lots of friends, I dunno...If you are really tight with every single one of them, then what else should you do? I mean, should you not hang out with someone you like because you already have friends? "Sorry, I'm already over quota." Maintaining vapid, shallow social connections with a large number of people can't really be called friendship. I don't think slutty is the right word, but I do think there's something wrong with it...
i agree with this