Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > The Philosopher

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Philosopher Intelligent (and mature) discussions only.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #76 (permalink)
Bone_Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilish_uk View Post
I would not choose immortality if it were offered; I believe there can be no appreciation of life without the possibility of death. But would I choose to extend my life beyond my anticipated 70 or 80 years? Most definitely. Finite, but longer, that would be perfect...!
I find it very interesting that you would actually choose death over immortality. I love being alive and can't bear the thought of not existing anymore, which is what I am unfortunately quite sure will happen upon death.

Why do you think we couldn't appreciate life without death? I do not agree. It's easy to appreciate life with all the pleasures found throughout it, I don't need death to remind me that life is beautiful. All death does is make me more anxious about living life and getting the most out of it that I possibly can. That's how I feel because I was brought up a Christian and used to believe that I had an afterlife, and it made life no less precious. Now that I am agnostic I fear death more than anything else, which is probably true for most people I would guess - because after death I can't help but feel there will be nothing, no me.

My idealism wants me to believe that nothing ever dies permanently, but that the 'energy'of a human consciousness (something like a soul if there is one) is transferred somewhere else. However there is no evidence for this and so it seems only wishful thinking
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #77 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

so
are people just posting on this thread instead of the thread about my mom being dead???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #78 (permalink)
TesticleMilkshake
pewpewlazrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
so
are people just posting on this thread instead of the thread about my mom being dead???
Is there any way to merge the two threads?

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. - Lao Tzu

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

twitter
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #79 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TesticleMilkshake View Post
Is there any way to merge the two threads?
that would actually be awesome
someone should ask the mod about that
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #80 (permalink)
SouthernAbyss
Listener of Metal

I believe that once we die, we control where we want to go.
Whether we decide to be reborn into another life, or spend eternity in the timeless land of Heaven, or Hell with our friends from the past life.

P.S None of that had anything to do with religion. I believe that religion in this life has nothing to do with our next lives.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #81 (permalink)
TesticleMilkshake
pewpewlazrz

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. - Lao Tzu

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

twitter
Old May 24th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TesticleMilkshake View Post
do you actually agree with this or are you just posting it???
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #83 (permalink)
AllShallFall

Our "soul" dissolves into nothingness after our last heartbeat. Nothing more, nothing less
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #84 (permalink)
Spiderchrist
The Unjesus

I'd say nothing happens after death, but I'm skeptical after a few "spiritual" experiences that I've had over the past few months. The heaven/hell theory doesn't seem right to me at all. All there really is in the universe is oneness...and I strongly believe that being in complete oneness comes after death. Of course it is possible to achieve oneness in the mortal life, but only in deep, subconscious, states of spirit. Meditation, rituals, and flowing with the Chakras are only a few ways to achieve oneness for example.