Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com
 
Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > The Philosopher


Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Philosopher Intelligent (and mature) discussions only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #76 (permalink)
Resonator
Senior Member
 
Resonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
Do you mean that science shouldn't be included in the law of governing just like religion?

And as I (might) have said before, if you ask someone to do not do a particular thing without explaining WHY, the will go the wrong/opposite way.
Well, science says that if you jump from a tall building, you will injure yourself and probably get charged with attempted suicide. But if you didn't injure yourself, science is wrong in this case. The problem is with the generalization of such factors like endurance, strength, agility.

The legs can be used as suspension if you keep a bend at the knee, and bend upon contact. Cause your thighs to resist the stretch of muscle, and jump as high as you can on the rebound, bouncing off of your calves with your buttocks. Science proves that with the right physical conditioning, this could happen anywhere, anytime. But the generalization is that this is an attempted suicide, and that is where science fails.
Resonator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #77 (permalink)
derek
Grey Eminence
 
derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edinburgh, U.K.
Posts: 18,787
So you're blaming science for anti-suicide legislation now?
__________________
Clarion Call.
derek is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #78 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism
 
hexwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Psychedelic Planet
Posts: 9,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
Well, science says that if you jump from a tall building, you will injure yourself and probably get charged with attempted suicide. But if you didn't injure yourself, science is wrong in this case. The problem is with the generalization of such factors like endurance, strength, agility.

The legs can be used as suspension if you keep a bend at the knee, and bend upon contact. Cause your thighs to resist the stretch of muscle, and jump as high as you can on the rebound, bouncing off of your calves with your buttocks. Science proves that with the right physical conditioning, this could happen anywhere, anytime. But the generalization is that this is an attempted suicide, and that is where science fails.
What college did you attend?
__________________
I am just a spectator
An advocate documenting the loss
Fluttering with conceit
This doesn't concern me yet
Still far from the knell






Opeth Forum | Pabulum | Desolator
hexwind is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #79 (permalink)
Resonator
Senior Member
 
Resonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
So you're blaming science for anti-suicide legislation now?
I think science is to blame for alot of things people find bad. For example, why drink unfiltered water and theoretically get sick when you can drink filtered water and NEVER get sick? If you trained your body to handle the unfiltered, how many times are you gonna get sick before you stop getting sick?

Is it not sick to be exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
What college did you attend?
I have my GED, I just know things.
Resonator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #80 (permalink)
derek
Grey Eminence
 
derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edinburgh, U.K.
Posts: 18,787
You really need to work on being a tad clearer.
__________________
Clarion Call.
derek is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #81 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism
 
hexwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Psychedelic Planet
Posts: 9,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
I think science is to blame for alot of things people find bad. For example, why drink unfiltered water and theoretically get sick when you can drink filtered water and NEVER get sick? If you trained your body to handle the unfiltered, how many times are you gonna get sick before you stop getting sick?

Is it not sick to be exclusive?
did you ever ask why they put filters for water?
__________________
I am just a spectator
An advocate documenting the loss
Fluttering with conceit
This doesn't concern me yet
Still far from the knell






Opeth Forum | Pabulum | Desolator
hexwind is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #82 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
emm.. it's hard to get a book written in English, especially new ones, unless you go to bookseller and you ask him to order it, and then you will have to wait for some time, otherwise, you go to Amideast and see if it there, or you can order it too, but without paying anything, coz you won't own it lol. Almost everyone reads either in Arabic or in French here.
usually books written in america will get translated into 1 or 2 other languages before french or arabic, and american books take a little longer getting translated than books written in U.K.
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #83 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
did you ever ask why they put filters for water?
the "filers" are for "filtering out" harmful bactiria, used as an alternative to adding "bacteria-killing-chemicals" which are actually more eficient at killing helpful bacteria than harmful bacteria (in america "anti-bacterial" soap will have a warning reading "for external use only" or "do not ingest" because anything labeled "anti-bacterial" will kill efficiently kill the digestive-tract bacteria that does digestion, and you body will have difuculty absorbing nutrients
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #84 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism
 
hexwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Psychedelic Planet
Posts: 9,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
the "filers" are for "filtering out" harmful bactiria, used as an alternative to adding "bacteria-killing-chemicals" which are actually more eficient at killing helpful bacteria than harmful bacteria (in america "anti-bacterial" soap will have a warning reading "for external use only" or "do not ingest" because anything labeled "anti-bacterial" will kill efficiently kill the digestive-tract bacteria that does digestion, and you body will have difuculty absorbing nutrients
I already know why. But I asked if he could ask the reason why they use filters, he wouldn't say such thing, or at least, give such example
__________________
I am just a spectator
An advocate documenting the loss
Fluttering with conceit
This doesn't concern me yet
Still far from the knell






Opeth Forum | Pabulum | Desolator
hexwind is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #85 (permalink)
Resonator
Senior Member
 
Resonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
did you ever ask why they put filters for water?
Did you ever ask your mom for unfiltered water only for your whole life? Perhaps you would adapt, or at least your children would adapt. Change is inevitable, I think it would be according to the theory of Darwin that all species will adapt at their own pace.

Setting the pace for yourself might unbalance you for a while, but when that becomes normal, there is always room for improvement. Is Darwin wrong?
Resonator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #86 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!
 
BlackMetalWhiteGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,641
Monoxide_Child, do you have a title or author for the book that we were discussing earlier?
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
the "filers" are for "filtering out" harmful bactiria, used as an alternative to adding "bacteria-killing-chemicals" which are actually more eficient at killing helpful bacteria than harmful bacteria (in america "anti-bacterial" soap will have a warning reading "for external use only" or "do not ingest" because anything labeled "anti-bacterial" will kill efficiently kill the digestive-tract bacteria that does digestion, and you body will have difuculty absorbing nutrients
Most households in the US are already drinking chemically treated water, since city / village water supplies are chlorinated and fluorinated before they make it into the pipes for civilian consumption anyway. The filters are intended more for the filtration of heavy metals and other mineral contaminants that are dissolved into the water during transport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
Did you ever ask your mom for unfiltered water only for your whole life? Perhaps you would adapt, or at least your children would adapt. Change is inevitable, I think it would be according to the theory of Darwin that all species will adapt at their own pace.

Setting the pace for yourself might unbalance you for a while, but when that becomes normal, there is always room for improvement. Is Darwin wrong?
That's not how evolution works at all. First of all, genetic mutations occur randomly and infrequently, and generally are maladaptive, not beneficial, which is why evolution takes such a long time. Secondly, the forces determining whether a change will become a characteristic of the species are environmental. Predation, sexual selection, inter-species and intra-species competition, climate, atmosphere, topography, resources and even chance all play a role in determining whether a characteristic will flourish or fail. No species ever has the luxury of evolving at its own pace however. Either it's lucky enough to meet the challenges of its environment, or it goes extinct.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenriR View Post
it will lower the ratio of penis creatures to normal ones. I shall look forward to conquering my first planet of cocks, nevertheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
Sex is good background music for Metal.
My Official UM Introduction, myspace.com/BMWGmusic
BlackMetalWhiteGuy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #87 (permalink)
Resonator
Senior Member
 
Resonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,078
But adaptation can be forced. That's half of my point, while evolution may come slowly, I can adapt to any scenario. I can drink unfiltered water for the rest of my life, it will never kill me nor harm me.

Eventually, I might progress to bacteria infested waters. Lower doses of bacteria at first, but eventually getting stronger the body will keep up or die. If a woman can think she's pregnant and the body will keep up with those thoughts AFTER she thinks it, so shall be my body's fate if I force it to.

It can happen, is what I'm getting at. You can adapt to and survive ANYTHING.
Resonator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #88 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!
 
BlackMetalWhiteGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
But adaptation can be forced. That's half of my point, while evolution may come slowly, I can adapt to any scenario. I can drink unfiltered water for the rest of my life, it will never kill me nor harm me.

Eventually, I might progress to bacteria infested waters. Lower doses of bacteria at first, but eventually getting stronger the body will keep up or die. If a woman can think she's pregnant and the body will keep up with those thoughts AFTER she thinks it, so shall be my body's fate if I force it to.

It can happen, is what I'm getting at. You can adapt to and survive ANYTHING.
I drink unfiltered water too, but that water is clean enough that it doesn't need to be filtered. As far as "building yourself up," that's not going to work if you're drinking water tainted with mineral contaminants such as lead or mercury, or bacterial pathogens such as E. coli, salmonella, or dysentery. In the case of the heavy metals, you will gradually store up more and more, consistently suffering from progressively worse neurodegeneration. In the cases of the diseases, you may survive and eventually get better, but you will never build up such a strong immunity that you stop getting sick after continued exposure.

As far as the pregnancy thing, I have no idea what you're talking about, unless it's an advanced form of psychological placebo effect. However, such a heavy delusional state would be a pathology in itself.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenriR View Post
it will lower the ratio of penis creatures to normal ones. I shall look forward to conquering my first planet of cocks, nevertheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
Sex is good background music for Metal.
My Official UM Introduction, myspace.com/BMWGmusic
BlackMetalWhiteGuy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #89 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMetalWhiteGuy View Post
Monoxide_Child, do you have a title or author for the book that we were discussing earlier?
i think i posted that info somewhere in this thread
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #90 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
I already know why. But I asked if he could ask the reason why they use filters, he wouldn't say such thing, or at least, give such example
the filters being discussed are used for "drinking water", they're used for preventing humans from ingesting harmful bactieria
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #91 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism
 
hexwind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Psychedelic Planet
Posts: 9,788
I know.
__________________
I am just a spectator
An advocate documenting the loss
Fluttering with conceit
This doesn't concern me yet
Still far from the knell






Opeth Forum | Pabulum | Desolator
hexwind is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #92 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!
 
BlackMetalWhiteGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cooperstown and Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,641
I found that book on Amazon finally. Picture is clickable.

EDIT: Okay, so apparently you can parse url and img tags together on this forum.



AmazonAmazon
EDIT2: Or maybe just not amazong links.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenriR View Post
it will lower the ratio of penis creatures to normal ones. I shall look forward to conquering my first planet of cocks, nevertheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
Sex is good background music for Metal.
My Official UM Introduction, myspace.com/BMWGmusic

Last edited by BlackMetalWhiteGuy : October 17th, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
BlackMetalWhiteGuy is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #93 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMetalWhiteGuy View Post
I found that book on Amazon finally. Picture is clickable.

EDIT: Okay, so apparently you can parse url and img tags together on this forum.



http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Firs.../dp/067403175X

EDIT2: Or maybe just not amazong links.
yes
this is the book i was talking about
go read this book everyone
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:34 PM   #94 (permalink)
Resonator
Senior Member
 
Resonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMetalWhiteGuy View Post
you will gradually store up more and more, consistently suffering from progressively worse neurodegeneration.
But there is also methods to purge the body of these contaminants. I never did think about that before, but it does bring a question to mind in order to develop a proper method for purging, such as where these buildups are stored, how are they accumulating, and other trends of the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMetalWhiteGuy View Post
As far as the pregnancy thing, I have no idea what you're talking about, unless it's an advanced form of psychological placebo effect. However, such a heavy delusional state would be a pathology in itself.
I have never witnessed it but I was informed that the mind can simulate a response so powerful that it triggers the cycles involved with conception, such as breast enlargement and/or hormone level increase, or at least believe it is happening even if there is no actual hormone increase or breast enlargement.
Resonator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM   #95 (permalink)
ixaxaar
ixaxaar
 
ixaxaar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sitra Ahra
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
I have never witnessed it but I was informed that the mind can simulate a response so powerful that it triggers the cycles involved with conception, such as breast enlargement and/or hormone level increase, or at least believe it is happening even if there is no actual hormone increase or breast enlargement.
hmmm i heard that too somewhere... maybe some book by some occultist... i guess its not studied of in modern medical science... they are too busy trying to find out whether toilet seats cause anal cancer.

for the unfiltered water theory, well you are applying the theory of evolution to EVERYTHING, but i guess it'll never work... water can always get DIRTIER!! believe me, i am from a place where we have been used to drinking not-so-pure water for generations but even we fall sick (from behind)!

as for religions, they are probably the most stagnant and unverified things that exists and those who have tried to devise/rationality (or tried to carve religion 2.0 ) have done it in complete silence, for those who believe in the old blabbering, you cannot teach the blind to see.
__________________
Top Ten:
The Land of the Troll - Behexen
Dark Mother divine - Dissection
Suffer Salvation - Lamented Souls
Maha Kali - Dissection
Ashes - Drudkh
Demonic Dreams - Graveworm
Ast Unta Askelin - Halo Manash
Essence - Enslaved
Masquerade of Incisions - Xasthur
Raising The Oceanic Alpha-Axis - Arktau Eos
ixaxaar is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:58 AM   #96 (permalink)
Resonator
Senior Member
 
Resonator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,078
You should look up Astrology. It is a good combination with the Old Testament, and most of the New Testament.
Resonator is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #97 (permalink)
NikeGoddess
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 25
These often clash.I just cant stand religious extremism where facts and proven studies are being viewed as hoax and fantasy.
NikeGoddess is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #98 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSNAPxX View Post
I mention dinosaurs. She pauses and says these words to me......"You know thats a hoax right?". After a couple minutes of conversation on it i realized that was actually her opinion. THE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL TAUGHT HER THAT DINOSAURS WERE A HOAX!!!!!!!!!


seriously though, there are "young earth creationists" that believe carbon dating is wrong and that "laviathan" and "bohemoth" both interatcting with humans were actually dinosaurs interacting with people and that the "heavens and earth" didn't exist at all untill about 4 thousand BC
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 03:18 PM   #99 (permalink)
bogert
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
Dinosaurs were Dinosaurs
bogert is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM   #100 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogert View Post
Dinosaurs were Dinosaurs
this thread was about how religious people use religion as an excuce to ignore science

like the creationists that say micro-evolution is prolly bullshit just because macro-evolution is proven to be bullshit
if you actually study the difference between micro and macro evolution, you would know that micro evolution is not merely "accurate" but that virtually everything alive today is actually the result of micro-evolution happening constantly
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2010 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media