Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > The Philosopher

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Philosopher Intelligent (and mature) discussions only.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:09 AM   #26 (permalink)
derek
Grey Eminence

I think you'll find that it probably does.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:17 PM   #27 (permalink)

Anyone who believes this shit is a moron.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
Liisa

About 2012, Professional athletes are glory seeking.. :/ I have a friend who's aspiring to win a running event. He'll be 21 in 2012. But white boy's never win any runs. And his favourite quotation is 'save the cheerleader, save the world'. So, he's failed.
Meanwhile, there's that film 2012. Maybe the weather will contract rabies like that and all will be ended.

~AYE MAYE BLOG~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #29 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakryn View Post
I disagree. "Education" is a extremely ambiguous term and does not gaurantee intelligence in any/all situations. Education is, in general, specific. If I have a college degree in history, does this mean I automatically unterstand science more than someone who has not attended college at all? No.

Similarly, having a college degree has nothing to do with having an actual knowledge and understanding of the candidates, the "issues", or being able to recognize bullshit when it's in front of your face.
While education doesn't guarantee intelligence, it correlates very strongly with it and I would even go so far as to state that in this case there is also a causal relationship, because secondary education (as opposed to high school) actually trains you to indepently evaluate multiple angles on an issue and reach your own conclusion based on critical thought, rather than simply memorize and recite facts, which is more of the focus in high school. Additionally, there are General Education requirements in place for the very purpose of exposing students to unrelated studies and ensuring that they have a passable knowledge of each subject.

This very training, while not responsible for biological intelligence, will still correlate with higher IQ scores because the type of thinking and problem solving skills expected from and perpetuated by a secondary education environment are precisely the types of cognitive skills that are being measured on an IQ test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenriR View Post
it will lower the ratio of penis creatures to normal ones. I shall look forward to conquering my first planet of cocks, nevertheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
Sex is good background music for Metal.
My Official UM Introduction, myspace.com/BMWGmusic
Old October 4th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #30 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMetalWhiteGuy View Post
because secondary education (as opposed to high school) actually trains you to indepently evaluate multiple angles on an issue and reach your own conclusion based on critical thought, rather than simply memorize and recite facts, which is more of the focus in high school.
The problem is that due to whatever agenda may be present, very often key "angles" are left out of easily available information. Most people will not dig deeper than a headline or soundbite for the current event information they receive, and the internet has only reinforced this.

This makes it quite easy to control what information people have to process by placing the desired "angle" in the most easy to read place, accompanied with maybe a short video clip or equivalent "flashing light" level attractor.

When this is practiced by every, or at leas the majority of "accepted" media outlets, critical thinking is bypassed, or if used, can only come to the same conclusion based off the limited angles available.

You cannot make a correct, informed decision when you don't have all of the information.
The enemy designed

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer

"The four most expensive words in the English language are 'this time itís different." - John Templeton
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #31 (permalink)
derek
Grey Eminence

Many folks are aware of this also, and usually they can get a varied view of any one story, if they make the effort.
Old October 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #32 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism

Quote:
The problem is that due to whatever agenda may be present, very often key "angles" are left out of easily available information. Most people will not dig deeper than a headline or soundbite for the current event information they receive, and the internet has only reinforced this.

This makes it quite easy to control what information people have to process by placing the desired "angle" in the most easy to read place, accompanied with maybe a short video clip or equivalent "flashing light" level attractor.

When this is practiced by every, or at leas the majority of "accepted" media outlets, critical thinking is bypassed, or if used, can only come to the same conclusion based off the limited angles available.

You cannot make a correct, informed decision when you don't have all of the information.
So true. I remember watching EuroNews back in 2006 when Israeli were striking Lebanon, the camera was showing just ambulances and people saving victims, i turned the next channel, Al-Jazeera, and they were filming the same scene, but in a lower height level, they were showing the brutality of the Israeli army and how people were suffering, others crying and so on.
Another example is, the news about Ardi, the creature that is older than Lucy by 1 million year or something, in Al Jazeera and CNN (I think, not sure tho) they said that scientists now reject the idea of human evolved from apes, and other sources say the contrary... which part are you going to believe? Everyone hears what they want to hear and don't need any critical and elaborated thoughts to make a judgment.
What does this lead to? Cultural wars !! and it's more than what these words mean, believe me guys, i'm living in the fucking middle of this !! I have four sights, two of each two main cultures, bad and good sights of each and you have no idea how fucked up things seem in my standing point....
This doesn't concern me yet
Still far from the knell

Opeth Forum | Pabulum | Desolator
Old October 4th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #33 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Many folks are aware of this also, and usually they can get a varied view of any one story, if they make the effort.
I 100% disagree. Most people (in the developed world) don't care what is going on outside of their rat race existance and weekend fun.
The enemy designed

"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer

"The four most expensive words in the English language are 'this time itís different." - John Templeton
Old October 4th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!

Quote:

I completely agree. However, my original point still stands, as better educated people are certainly more aware of this and are therefore less susceptible to persuasion by such propoganda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
So true. I remember watching EuroNews back in 2006 when Israeli were striking Lebanon, the camera was showing just ambulances and people saving victims, i turned the next channel, Al-Jazeera, and they were filming the same scene, but in a lower height level, they were showing the brutality of the Israeli army and how people were suffering, others crying and so on.
Another example is, the news about Ardi, the creature that is older than Lucy by 1 million year or something, in Al Jazeera and CNN (I think, not sure tho) they said that scientists now reject the idea of human evolved from apes, and other sources say the contrary... which part are you going to believe? Everyone hears what they want to hear and don't need any critical and elaborated thoughts to make a judgment.
What does this lead to? Cultural wars !! and it's more than what these words mean, believe me guys, i'm living in the fucking middle of this !! I have four sights, two of each two main cultures, bad and good sights of each and you have no idea how fucked up things seem in my standing point....
Biased coverage of a political issue to be expected, even if you're inclined to agree with the angle being covered.

With regard to the Ardi find, it's clearly just a propoganda argument that humans didn't evolve from more primitive apes. Ardi disproved ONLY the idea of a missing link between the genus Homo (humans) and Pan (chimpanzees), not the evolution of modern man from other apes. That would be an absurd argument regardless of your personal bias on the issue, considering that Ardipithecus itself is a great ape.
Quote:
I 100% disagree. Most people (in the developed world) don't care what is going on outside of their rat race existance and weekend fun.
I definitely agree that most people don't care, but once again, most people don't have a formal education as that is a rather modern phenomenon. Very few senior citizens have Bachelor's or Master's degrees, because those degrees weren't required for most available jobs half a century ago. Even now that advanced degrees do offer a competitive advantage, what portion of the population is actually earning them? For starters, barely 75% of American high schoolers graduate and 40% of first year college students will drop out before ever earning their Bachelor's degree. If I remember correctly, only 2% of Americans get their Master's degree, so I don't think it would be unfair to exclude them from generalizations about most people.

Quote:
it will lower the ratio of penis creatures to normal ones. I shall look forward to conquering my first planet of cocks, nevertheless.
Quote:
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #35 (permalink)
derek
Grey Eminence

Quote:
Many people.
Old October 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #36 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Many people.
"Many" is pretty ambiguous. At least "most" means [over 50%] at a bare minimum.

Quote:
I definitely agree that most people don't care, but once again, most people don't have a formal education as that is a rather modern phenomenon. Very few senior citizens have Bachelor's or Master's degrees, because those degrees weren't required for most available jobs half a century ago. Even now that advanced degrees do offer a competitive advantage, what portion of the population is actually earning them? For starters, barely 75% of American high schoolers graduate and 40% of first year college students will drop out before ever earning their Bachelor's degree. If I remember correctly, only 2% of Americans get their Master's degree, so I don't think it would be unfair to exclude them from generalizations about most people
I still disagree. As an example: my Dad has his Masters (just got it), and if anything, he seems less prone to independent thinking than before. The tendency that I have seen in those with advanced education is to repeat the ideas they were taught, instead of taking the tools they were given and seek to advance their personal intelligence.
Obviously this isn't the case with all persons with advanced education, but it does seem to be the tendency.
The enemy designed

Old October 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!

Quote:
I still disagree. As an example: my Dad has his Masters (just got it), and if anything, he seems less prone to independent thinking than before. The tendency that I have seen in those with advanced education is to repeat the ideas they were taught, instead of taking the tools they were given and seek to advance their personal intelligence.
Obviously this isn't the case with all persons with advanced education, but it does seem to be the tendency.
Citing personal experience with an anomaly does not disprove the rule, as statistics only indicate averages and do not guarantee 100% consistency throughout all cases. The argument that you're attempting is "the exception disproves the rule," which is a classic example of logical fallacy.

Quote:
Quote:
Old October 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narissa View Post
^ haha what?!? thats whats wrong with america. you should vote for the person that best represents ALL people. regardless of political party. take the last election. what kind of experience does Obama have? it doesnt matter, hes democratic and black. revolutionary! change change change! and yet ive seen ZERO change. america, and the world for that matter doesnt need change anyway. we need to return to a state of normalcy. how is that supposed to happen when people in our country look at presidental canidates as celebrities. "obama is hot! im voting for him!" "yeah, mccains all old. ewww. gross" " im voting for a black president! anything my distant relatives did to black people is excused!" if people were voting based on political issues, and actually paid attention to the way obama never answered a single fucking question, and then called out people for being "racist" for more publicity. haha sounds like fucking kayne west. you people that strictly vote democratic regardless of the canidate just voted kayne west into office. besides, the only thing Obama harped about was the health care plan, and now everyone is bitching. that just PROOVES nobody paid attention to what he said! haha and i wasted an afternoon voting and got called for jury duty a couple months later. whats the point of an election? do you realize many countries dont get a choice? and youre basically throwing your vote away by casting it blindly?

to get back on topic, if obama runs again and wins, i dont care whose right or wrong about the end of the world. and if we do survive, im moving to another country. lol
Obama's prolly gonna be at least slightly better than McCain would have been
the problem in chosing America's president is that when election day comes, there's only 2 names on the ballot, so you're not really able to chose good over bad, you're really just chosing "the lesser of 2 evils"
i'll agree with you that Obama's gonna be a crappy president, but when i voted for him, i thought he was at least gonna be slightly less crappy than McCain
also, one of my friends did the math, McCain is actually old enough to be Obama's father, Chuck Norris, Matt Damon and several celebrities whose names i can't remember, all voted for Obama because they were afraid that McCain would die in office and i think we all think Sara Palin would have been really bad at being president, if i could have named anyone i wanted to be president, it would have been Hillary Clinton, Hillary being the person who was actually running the country when her husband Bill was president, the gap of time when Bush senior's national deficit was turned into a surplus, the rest of the world liked America and everything here was running smoothly
Old October 5th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMetalWhiteGuy View Post
Citing personal experience with an anomaly does not disprove the rule, as statistics only indicate averages and do not guarantee 100% consistency throughout all cases. The argument that you're attempting is "the exception disproves the rule," which is a classic example of logical fallacy.
Show me these statistics, while keeping in mind that statistics can be manipulated to prove almost anything. I am not arguing that the "exception disproves the rule", but rather that the exception is independent thinking due to advanced education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
the rest of the world liked America and everything here was running smoothly
Define "liking us" and "running smoothly".
The enemy designed

Last edited by Overwatch : October 5th, 2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #40 (permalink)
BlackMetalWhiteGuy
Manly Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
the problem in chosing America's president is that when election day comes, there's only 2 names on the ballot, so you're not really able to chose good over bad, you're really just chosing "the lesser of 2 evils"
There were definitely more than two choices when I voted.
Quote:
Show me these statistics,
First of all, I don't know why you're demanding statistics from me that you could easily look up for yourself. We both have access to the same internet, but I'm willing to bet that your connection isn't 18kbps. Just open Google Scholar and type "education, IQ, politics" or soemthing similar and I'm sure you'll find more than enough

While my connection doesn't have the capacity to download multiple PDF files in an acceptable time frame, I did attend the Northeastern Evolutionary Psychology Society Conference this summer and the keynote speaker addressed the issue of IQ in a modern environment and he was extremely thorough.
Quote:
while keeping in mind that statistics can be manipulated to prove almost anything.
So rather than accept responsbility for having commited a fallacious argument, you'd prefer to go all in on the proposition that the entire Scientific Method is inherently flawed...

Independent study
Objective criticism
Peer review
Retestability

But I guess none of these ring any bells for you at all, do they?
Quote:
I am not arguing that the "exception disproves the rule", but rather that the exception is independent thinking due to advanced education.
You mean to tell me that all scientists and psychologists throughout history have been recording their data backwards? Golly gee, maybe somebody should tell them! Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't just cry "sampling error" any time you disagree with a conclusion.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by BlackMetalWhiteGuy : October 5th, 2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old October 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #41 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

You completely missed the point.

History is well documented with cases of [scientific breakthroughs] that weren't realized until decades later because they were so radical that the "scientific society" rejected them, only to finally come around to accepting them many years later. So don't stand on science as being impartial to the status quo.

Also, when it comes to political objectives and outcomes, it is a extremely subjective "science". I googled different combinations of IQ/Education/Politics/Political affiliation and the majority of the immediate returns referenced the bush/kerry presidential race. Since both candidates were equally bad (as in basically all of the presidential races) I don't see how this proves anything.

The whole concept of "neither" seems to short circuit most people's brains when presented with an entirely rejectable "either/or" scenario.

We will not agree in this arguement because part of my arguement is that YOU cannot see bullshit in front of your face and your response will be that it isn't bullshit because it comes from sources you accept. Based off your posts, you are firmly entrenched in a "left" mindset. I don't even recognized the "left-right" paradigm as anything more than a political strawman. That is how far we are from being on the same ground to conduct a meaningful debate.
The enemy designed

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #42 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Since this is going in an entirely different direction I request a moderator move the portion of this thread not related to 2012 and create a new thread and label it something like "Official Political Discussion Thread".
The enemy designed

Old October 6th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #43 (permalink)
apeofgod666
BC RICH KICKS ASS

2012 is bull shit. if it was true the god damn government would wait to tell us. they wouldnt let us find out. if they really believed some catastrophic event would happen we wouldnt know about it yet.
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeofgod666 View Post
2012 is bull shit. if it was true the god damn government would wait to tell us. they wouldnt let us find out. if they really believed some catastrophic event would happen we wouldnt know about it yet.
This is true. If they told us then there would be panic and/or demands. Why bother with all that? If I were in their shoes than I would be building lots of underground bunkers full of supplies and telling as few people as possible.....Oh wait, that is what they are doing.
The enemy designed

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

is anyone actually taking this 2012 apacolypse thing seriously?
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:02 PM   #46 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism

Quote:
Oh wait, that is what they are doing.
True, I have a documentaries that talks about such things, there is a hospital, a place for living with all the needs, security and everything, underground, for the elites to escape once there is a global problem or sth lol
Still far from the knell

Old October 6th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexwind View Post
True, I have a documentaries that talks about such things, there is a hospital, a place for living with all the needs, security and everything, underground, for the elites to escape once there is a global problem or sth lol
some of the documentaries that look like what you've described have been proven to be hoaxes
Old October 6th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #48 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

As (now) prior military, I do know other prior military members who have first hand knowledge of these underground bunkers. It's also no secret about the doomsday seed super vault. The millions/billions to build it didn't get spent on a whim.

I am not suggesting that 12/21/2012 is a magical date. I do believe there are plenty of apocalyptic scenerios that are possible at this point, and one or more are around the corner, and the "elite" believe this as well and are preparing.
The enemy designed

Old October 6th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #49 (permalink)
hexwind
Creepiness Och Terrorism

Don't compare your views to those of the elites, coz they are looking at the world from a totally different perspective that everyone else does.
Still far from the knell

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
Overwatch
Dare to be offended

Well our perspectives are different of course.
The enemy designed