Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com

Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > The Philosopher

Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Philosopher Intelligent (and mature) discussions only.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Role Models

Who should be the role models.Parents,actors and actresses,musicans,politcs people,or sports athletes?I think the parentes should be the role models.What if a kid looks up to people like Varg,Ray Lewis,Pacman Jones,and Hitler?People like that are people kids should not look up to.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 26th, 2010, 09:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
razoredge

Ultimately but in some cases this is not possible, those of us than can or did should feel fortunante I suppose
into this wild abyss, the womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire... but all these in their pregnant causes mixed confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, unless the almighty maker then ordain his dark materials to create more worlds, into this wild abyss the wary fiend stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, pondering his voyage
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old February 26th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

I can see in some ways.Sports you see roids guys in baseball and footbsll, and thugs in basketball and football.

Last edited by Badbird : February 26th, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old February 26th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
razoredge

not following you tom but I was talking about parents, grandparents, then again some parents are their kids role models and are say alcholics next thing ya know the kids seem to have substance abuse problems. Its hard to say really, whats good for one person is not for another. My wrestling coach and also first employer were very substancial role models as well. A group of friends together can kind of be roll models or at least character forming.
into this wild abyss, the womb of nature and perhaps her grave, of neither sea, nor shore, nor air, nor fire... but all these in their pregnant causes mixed confusedly, and which thus must ever fight, unless the almighty maker then ordain his dark materials to create more worlds, into this wild abyss the wary fiend stood on the brink of hell and looked a while, pondering his voyage
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Friends can be great role models for a son or daughter,but they can do things like drink beer,smoking weed,breaking the law and all other stuff.
Old February 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
razoredge

Well.... theres alot there, some pertaining to natural "sowing of oats"... a bit of the cowboy heritage but still its all in how such a circle of friends deals with it. Hard to explain really but my friends have been excellent role models and character building. We were no angels but somehow we still had a good set of moral rules. Whitemans "laws" those of the wanky establishment lawmakers hunting votes and appeasing squeeky wheels are not what they are cracked up to be IMO. Myself I better appreaciate a person that dances around and across these lines yet has a more reasonable human standard of moral values, closer to the origional and void of modern whitemans petti pastie, pansy assed bullshit.

Last edited by razoredge : February 27th, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Blowtus

Razor - I like people like myself too
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
razoredge

Yep, I believe some laws/rules need to be broke or at least toyed with while others make sence due to personal infringement on others. Plus all that crap is part of lifes learning curve... I'll admit doing some stuff Im abit ashamed of today... "what was I thinking?" "oops, I'll never try that again". Thats what I thought about a few of the spankings I got such as the time I came home... around 4th grade and tried some "new" words learned in school that day on my mother... yep, never did that again.

But in regards to the overwhelming volumn of "laws", "zero tolerance" and "regulations" forced down everyones throat in recent decades I had a idea for a song I started lyrics for called "Slayin' Cowboys" regarding how this country glorifies and romantisizes the grit of the American Cowboy yet today doesnt want no part of strong willed men not afraid to get down and dirty, kick up some dust, or get a bit rowdy... at least anywhere that "eyes can see" because deep down they know we're still needed but hate the fact and want to keep it limited and out of site.

"Just keep those tee shirts with the 7" sleeve on boys, we cant have you showing your chest" or god forbid a "wife beater" shirt showing those upper arm muscles, when all we want is the pits to breath and something more than a farmers tan "NO, NO, NO you macho pig", now youve pissed off the feminazi repressed lesbians... yet fine ladies walk around everyday... dolled up just right, causeing traffic accidents on every block... "eyes on the road boys"... LOL

Last edited by razoredge : February 27th, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Here is a great Nike Air commercial with Charles Barkley saying he is not a role model.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

I think the foremost role model in anyone's life should be, in an ideal situation, that person's parents. But in the last 100 years in America we have gone from the majority of adults being responsible and setting a good example for their children to bring more responsible adults into the next generation, to now it being everyone for themselves in a pleasure free for all, and role-modeling is something done by people on the idiot-box.

Just look at the latest headlines to see how that is working out.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakryn View Post
I think the foremost role model in anyone's life should be, in an ideal situation, that person's parents. But in the last 100 years in America we have gone from the majority of adults being responsible and setting a good example for their children to bring more responsible adults into the next generation, to now it being everyone for themselves in a pleasure free for all, and role-modeling is something done by people on the idiot-box.

Just look at the latest headlines to see how that is working out.
The idiot-box has done damage to role models parents alot.Parents could do lots of dumb stuff when they are married and then a kid has to look up to a actor.This is just not right.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
razoredge

life has a wide variety of role models so its up to the person which bag of shit they want to subscribe to. Then someone could be practical and realize both sides of the fence and all points in between have their positive and negative attributes.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by razoredge View Post
life has a wide variety of role models so its up to the person which bag of shit they want to subscribe to. Then someone could be practical and realize both sides of the fence and all points in between have their positive and negative attributes.
Parents need to teach kids about the "good" and "bad" things in life.Not some rich baseball player.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
DEATH_TO_THE_FALSE
REPRESENTATIVES OF TRUTH

Whos to say who another person should look up to or not?

I feel it depends on whatever motivates the individual, not for me to spoon feed them who I think they should be looking up to because in their eyes, they are perfect role models because they motivate and inspire.

...Just my two cents.
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

A kid could look up to any one.Who they should look up to is someone who does not great movies,music,or a great athlete,but someone who is a great human being.
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
Blowtus

who they should look up to is irrelevant.
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowtus View Post
who they should look up to is irrelevant.
Why is that?
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

If a parent is not active in child raising and being the proper example for the child to emulate, that adult is a failure. Period. Animals understand (since they don't really have a choice) that there chief responsibility is to raise healthy offspring. Humans think they are so smart they do the dumbest stuff, like either not having kids, or living in the most unhealthy ways possible and passing that lifestyle example off on their offspring.
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Badbird
Never banned

Quote:
If a parent is not active in child raising and being the proper example for the child to emulate, that adult is a failure. Period. Animals understand (since they don't really have a choice) that there chief responsibility is to raise healthy offspring. Humans think they are so smart they do the dumbest stuff, like either not having kids, or living in the most unhealthy ways possible and passing that lifestyle example off on their offspring.
Humans can be very dumb.Parents that abuse it's child shouldn't be a parent anyway.If stuff like that happens to the child,who does he have to looked up to.
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Blowtus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brady View Post
Why is that?
Because you have no control over who they *do* look up to.
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

Quote:
Ever have kids Blowtus?
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
razoredge

no such thing as a perfect parent, it doesnt come with a book of instructions and those that wish to press their ideas and books of "instructions" on how to raise someones elses kid into that persons household should have to deal with the unslaught of the stupid dog or person that is dumb enough to stick their head into a rearing bitches den.

I know, I've been down that road
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #23 (permalink)
razoredge

Quote:
Exactly and one thing that is forsure is when they become teenagers they will go 100% out of thier way with full fledged hatred to be sure it at least appears they DO NOT look up to their parents. Especially if you are dealing with a female or anger bound male.

The effects of teenage hormones combined with todays "liberal" mindset insites rage and early desire to cut ties with "authority"

When I was a kid that would earn you a very quick lesson and that would be the end of it.
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #24 (permalink)
Blowtus

Quote:
Ever have kids Blowtus?
No. If / when I do will I be blessed with the ability to control their mind?

Of course I recognise you can alter some of the information they receive, but I think a simplistic discussion of 'who' kids 'should' look up to to be pointless, nothing could be done with any decision that was made anyway. Something like 'what traits is it worth emphasising positively' is probably as close as I think you can usefully get...
Old March 14th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #25 (permalink)
NoumeGnon
Brvtal Reading

Well as I like to say, "You can only be as smart as the information you receive." As a parent, you should have ultimate control over the information coming into your kids heads, and sitting them in front of the idiot box and letting Barney, or the Teletubbies, or Hannah Montana tell them what positive traits are is not parenting.

Emphasizing positive traits that you as the parent activily demonstrate would be the goal. "Do as I say not as I do" never ever works of course. When this happens, kids do have to find others to emulate, and this is telling on the parents lack of whatever the kid is looking for.