Ultimate Metal Forum  
UltimateMetal.com homeContact UltimateMetal.com
 
Ultimate Metal Zine Ultimate Metal Photo Gallery Ultimate Metal Classifieds Ultimate Metal Link Directory Ultimate Metal Events Ultimate Metal Radio Ultimate Metal Store

Sponsored Links

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > The Life > The Philosopher


Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Philosopher Intelligent (and mature) discussions only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
TesticleMilkshake
pewpewlazrz
 
TesticleMilkshake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 675
Thoughts on the Sex Industry, Burlesque...

This is kind of a weird place to post this, but I figured I would get the most honest responses here.

I'm thinking about getting into burlesque, how does one go about that? Anyone been to any shows or know performers? I'm interested, because I want to try something different, that may encourage me to appreciate my body more. Seems there's more acceptance of different body-types in the burlesque-world versus the fashion, sex industry. I've also done nude modeling for drawing and painting classes for about 6 years; it pays well, feels safe and has helped me to love my body more; I enjoy it and it's really helped me self-esteem wise. With burlesque, however, I like the scene, the people affiliated with it. I met a lot of girls in college who work in the scene of tattooing, piercing, neo-circus, Las Vegas style entertainment. I can dance and sing opera. I have a friend who does suspension and sometimes co-stars along side of some burlesque performers. It's a mixture of lots of different people, some sketchy people, but for the most part, good-natured and intelligent.

My biggest concern is the thought that this should stay in the bedroom? Is making yourself a sex object inadvertently making yourself a whore? How do you guys feel about that?

TL; DR,
How do feel about erotica and sex industry? Where does one draw the line?


Also sexy pictures





__________________
The pure impulse of dynamic creation is formless and being formless, the creation it gives rise to can assume any and every form. - Kabbalah

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. - Lao Tzu

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain


twitter
TesticleMilkshake is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Øjeblikket
Senior Member
 
Øjeblikket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 318
Hello,

Funny, I've been an art model as well. If you want to get into burlesque, it's probably easier than getting into art modeling. Just go to a show and ask around for where to sign up for the next show. easy.
__________________
"Better well hung than ill wed." - Shakespeare
Øjeblikket is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesticleMilkshake View Post
This is kind of a weird place to post this, but I figured I would get the most honest responses here.

I'm thinking about getting into burlesque, how does one go about that? Anyone been to any shows or know performers? I'm interested, because I want to try something different, that may encourage me to appreciate my body more. Seems there's more acceptance of different body-types in the burlesque-world versus the fashion, sex industry. I've also done nude modeling for drawing and painting classes for about 6 years; it pays well, feels safe and has helped me to love my body more; I enjoy it and it's really helped me self-esteem wise. With burlesque, however, I like the scene, the people affiliated with it. I met a lot of girls in college who work in the scene of tattooing, piercing, neo-circus, Las Vegas style entertainment. I can dance and sing opera. I have a friend who does suspension and sometimes co-stars along side of some burlesque performers. It's a mixture of lots of different people, some sketchy people, but for the most part, good-natured and intelligent.

My biggest concern is the thought that this should stay in the bedroom? Is making yourself a sex object inadvertently making yourself a whore? How do you guys feel about that?

TL; DR,
How do feel about erotica and sex industry? Where does one draw the line?
if you're flat-out asking us if you should do burlesque,
then i personally say "go do it right freaking now"
if you're even considering it you should go ahead and do it quickly and get it over with
if you don't like it you can always quit
i don't really think you're gonna do it, quit, and then feel weird for the rest of your life like you might if you actually started being, as you put it, "a whore"
i personally have no problem with sex-workers, i only have a problem when the hookers have pimps, but if she's a completely "free agent", then i don't see a problem with the women doing it, i just don't see YOU as one of the women who's going to do it
and i really don't believe the whole "slippery slope" theory about how strippers become hookers
people do what they want to do, and having to pay a "renting the stage fee" doesn't really "force" strippers into becoming hookers
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
TesticleMilkshake
pewpewlazrz
 
TesticleMilkshake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 675
Thanks guys for the advice! I just had some questions regarding ethics and stuff. I have a friend from college who is interested in getting involved so I think we may look into some shows in the city. I will keep you updated!
__________________
The pure impulse of dynamic creation is formless and being formless, the creation it gives rise to can assume any and every form. - Kabbalah

Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment. - Lao Tzu

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain


twitter
TesticleMilkshake is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
logchick
MetalJunkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON.
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
if you're flat-out asking us if you should do burlesque,then i personally say "go do it right freaking now"

if you're even considering it you should go ahead and do it quickly and get it over with

if you don't like it you can always quit
I completely agree with what he's saying here!

You should definitely try it out! Cause if you never bothered to give it a shot, you may end up regretting it down the road!
And if you don't end up liking this new hobby, at least you CAN say that you have experienced it!

That's the great thing about Life! We're given so many opportunities to learn; witness; and experience new things!
So be spontaneous! Take a risk- & Go for it!
logchick is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Øjeblikket
Senior Member
 
Øjeblikket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesticleMilkshake View Post
I just had some questions regarding ethics and stuff.
If these are your ethical concerns -

Quote:
My biggest concern is the thought that this should stay in the bedroom? Is making yourself a sex object inadvertently making yourself a whore? How do you guys feel about that?
Then, first things first. Don't concern yourself with the opinions of strangers unless later in life you intend on applying for a position that may involve teaching children, or if you desire to have a position as some sort of government representative, or whatever. Your past will surface to your disadvantage in both of those situations.

But, I don't think you are overly-concerned with the potentially disparaging opinions of metal heads; I think you're just asking for opinions so you can brag about your sexy endeavors. It's a decoy, and I'm calling you on it.

Also, there is nothing that typically goes on at a burlesque show that typically goes on in a bedroom. It's a performance for an audience,not a performance for an individual. And no, becoming a sex object does not exclude you from the right to maintain a prudent value system where intimacy is concerned.
__________________
"Better well hung than ill wed." - Shakespeare
Øjeblikket is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
logchick
MetalJunkie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON.
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Øjeblikket View Post
Don't concern yourself with the opinions of strangers unless later in life you intend on applying for a position that may involve teaching children, or if you desire to have a position as some sort of government representative, or whatever. Your past will surface to your disadvantage in both of those situations.
He's right- as its common sense really!
It's no different then saying that you want to become a police officer, but then realizing you can't because you have a previous criminal record.

Quote:
I think you're just asking for opinions so you can brag about your sexy endeavors. It's a decoy, and I'm calling you on it.
^ I like the way this guy think
Cause I'm pretty sure there are more male metalheads on this forum then females, so I really don't think anyone on here would oppose on such a thing
logchick is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by logchick View Post
I completely agree with what he's saying here!

You should definitely try it out! Cause if you never bothered to give it a shot, you may end up regretting it down the road!
And if you don't end up liking this new hobby, at least you CAN say that you have experienced it!

That's the great thing about Life! We're given so many opportunities to learn; witness; and experience new things!
So be spontaneous! Take a risk- & Go for it!
when i first read the first post i imediately imagined testicle milkshake really really wanting to be a burlesque dancer, then deciding not to do it, then 30 years from now staring off into space wondering "how would the last 30 years have been different if i had actually become a burlesque dancer?"

Last edited by monoxide_child : May 24th, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
AllShallFall
Senior Member
 
AllShallFall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by logchick View Post
I'm pretty sure there are more male metalheads on this forum then females, so I really don't think anyone on here would oppose on such a thing
You are so fucking right!
__________________
AllShallFall is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
if you're flat-out asking us if you should do burlesque,
then i personally say "go do it right freaking now"
if you're even considering it you should go ahead and do it quickly and get it over with
if you don't like it you can always quit
i don't really think you're gonna do it, quit, and then feel weird for the rest of your life like you might if you actually started being, as you put it, "a whore"
i personally have no problem with sex-workers, i only have a problem when the hookers have pimps, but if she's a completely "free agent", then i don't see a problem with the women doing it, i just don't see YOU as one of the women who's going to do it
and i really don't believe the whole "slippery slope" theory about how strippers become hookers
people do what they want to do, and having to pay a "renting the stage fee" doesn't really "force" strippers into becoming hookers
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoxide_child View Post
when i first read the first post i imediately imagined testicle milkshake really really wanting to be a burlesque dancer, then deciding not to do it, then 30 years from now staring off into space wondering "how would the last 30 years have been different if i had actually become a burlesque dancer?"
.
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
Summerian
Internetdamaged
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: beer
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesticleMilkshake View Post
My biggest concern is the thought that this should stay in the bedroom? Is making yourself a sex object inadvertently making yourself a whore? How do you guys feel about that?

TL; DR,
How do feel about erotica and sex industry? Where does one draw the line?
Erotica is about good feelings, fun. It's art celebrating some of the best things life can offer. It's a good thing. (And it's funny how organized religion can find this threatening.)
Life is short. Should be enjoyed.

The industry of sex is about money only. Emotions have nothing to do with it. It's a cold factory using people to then dispose of them.
Money shouldn't have anything to do with sex. It's perveting and corrupting something wonderful and beautiful.
It can't die fast enough.
__________________
God is omnipotent.
There's nothing but the will of God.
So every abortion is God adopting a fetus.
Summerian is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerian View Post
Erotica is about good feelings, fun. It's art celebrating some of the best things life can offer. It's a good thing. (And it's funny how organized religion can find this threatening.)
Life is short. Should be enjoyed.

The industry of sex is about money only. Emotions have nothing to do with it. It's a cold factory using people to then dispose of them.
Money shouldn't have anything to do with sex. It's perveting and corrupting something wonderful and beautiful.
It can't die fast enough.
the "sex industry" doesn't actually have to involve "having sex"
strippers don't always have "sex in the champagne room", and contrary to popular belief, most of the women who spend time working as strippers don't actually become street prostitutes, and most of the women working as prostitutes/escorts have never worked as a stripper
and there's a really large number of women making huge-ass-amounts of money doing nude/sexy costume/masturbating "solo shoots" in mags like FHM, Maxim, Stuff, etc etc etc, without ever having sex with multiple partners
lots of "nude models" like London Andrews, are either sexually monogomous with their husbands, or completely celibate
Amber Priddy for example, once said in an interview that although the whole world had already seen her pussy, she's still never in a million years going to have sex on film
being a "burlesque" dancer is not even as sexual as being a stripper, strippers are actually instructed to try to make the men in the club get erections, whereas a burlesque show is a lot less sexual and it's entertaining in a non-sexual way, i don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Dallas, Texas, USA, the burlesque dancers are "chunky" and the strippers are "anorexically bony" where the audience of a random burlesque show is 60-70% female and the males in the audience are not-at-all-sexually-attracted to anyone onstage, and the strippers in the strip club are actually instructed to make the males get erections

strippers =/= burlesque dancers
it's important to make this distinction here
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
monoxide_child
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 6,247
anyone else want to share their thoughts on burlesque/stripping/sexworkers, then do so in this thread
monoxide_child is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
Carmen_Rock
Junior Member
 
Carmen_Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spain
Posts: 20
If you're convinced and ready to do this, then I encourage you to do it. I don't think this means to be a whore, nor something similar. This only means that you like your body and that you want other people to enjoy with this or to be aroused, and this isn't bad. Also, if this helps you to feel desired or happier with your body or with yourself, the better it is. What's the problem?It's your body and you're and adult!^^
Also, I think burlesque could be an artistic manifestation, and you can create art with your body, which is pretty good
This is a personal matter, and if you wanna do it, and it makes you feel confortable, do it without doubts.
Carmen_Rock is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2014 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media