Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Practice Room
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Practice Room Promote your work, ask for feedback, offer mixing practice.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:37 PM   #26 (permalink)
nuclearass

Sounds huuuuge! Very cool mix & production.
Old October 31st, 2008, 06:45 PM   #27 (permalink)
K Odell
\=/Varnisher\=/

Oh yeah I forgot to say in my post earlier that its sounds incredible. You definantly nailed the type of production and sound that style calls for.

http://www.facebook.com/thisisvanisher

http://www.facebook.com/thinksound
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Chryst Krispies
Vanilla Gorilla

Holy shit, Batman, that's a pod?

Snuck that by me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM   #29 (permalink)
eternally_gutted

hey, could you share your POD presets for this song and screenshoots of posteq?????????
i made a record test with pod but i dont get this nearly and ambience sound in my guitars and i would like to learn it.

my record test is this:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzhyutmg2qg

thanx
Old November 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pxz

the track sound fucking amazing , congratulations , cant believe it`s a pod .
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
Mike G

Joey, don't change a thing. Pro sound fo rizzle.

~006
Old November 1st, 2008, 04:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
eternally_gutted

hey joey, another thing:
i have a "problem" when i record guitars with my pod...in my records i like guitars tone that i get with pod x3 but my sound is tightened and compressed...
when i play with my podx3 i like tone, its open and hard but when i record sound transforms in tightened and compressed. why?

i connect pod with only USB. it can be for that reason??
i need to fix this "problem" to record more hard.

(sorry for my bad english)

example test of a bit tightened sound...-> http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mzhyutmg2qg
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
zvish

ooo man, is it possible that you give a short sample of drums without guitars and bass??? I really want to hear how they sound alone and how you process them, and later COPY THAT SOUND buahahaha ;P!!! I love that kind of sound...
very good mix overall ;]

and maybe some tips, what kind of reverb on snare toms, bus drum....para comp or without ?:P

cheers
Old November 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
mintcheerios

Sounds brutal.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM   #35 (permalink)
eternally_gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
i use an xt with the spdif sync'd to my fireface 800
another form to connect POD to pc to obtain that good and hard sound?????
with only USB sound is a bit tightened and compressed...and little volumen...
Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #36 (permalink)
broken81
Used by Protools

Quote:
using the 4x12 treadplate cab with the condensor mic setting, no "room" verb

no impulse
quite a bit of post processing, mainly eq and frequency enhancements
I seen your plugin chain but i see no eq freq enhancement on it?

Thanks for sharing your chain though!
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
nicko cunde

Hi Joey! I'm new in this lands jejeje

Your mix it's amazing, sounds really good man

I was trying to mix some riffs with my new POD x3, and sounds good, but i can't get this tone. I just uploaded it, check it:

http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=8fd6d7c

If it is not annoyance, could you share your own presets? The two one, the hi gain and the low gain

Thanks!
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
eternally_gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko cunde View Post
Hi Joey! I'm new in this lands jejeje

Your mix it's amazing, sounds really good man

I was trying to mix some riffs with my new POD x3, and sounds good, but i can't get this tone. I just uploaded it, check it:

http://www.goear.com/listen.php?v=8fd6d7c

If it is not annoyance, could you share your own presets? The two one, the hi gain and the low gain

Thanks!
+1
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM   #39 (permalink)
nicko cunde

Quote:
after some serious comparison to my favorite mixes, i've decided there's a little too much 2k/4k in the guitars / bass, and not enough low mids.

does anyone else agree?
And what are your favourite mixes? This way i'll can compare too
Old November 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Pxz

Well , if you compared to something else of course you are gonna feel that is different in many ways. I was listening to the acacia strain latest album, and your mix is way more clearer punchy and defined. Is really weird that the "label hates it" , my advice as a simple listener is to not change a thing, this song sounds totally RAMBO CORE hahah. I like the guitar tone a lot, thick mids and great punch.

im wondering what type of "sound" was the label looking for....

XT Patch will be Kwel dawg

Last edited by Pxz : November 2nd, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #41 (permalink)
3holeface

Joey, are your still HP-ing your OH at 800hz then dropping out 200hz? Also how much of your real room and real drums are you using and what treatment? You seem to be able to blend the samples very well with the kit and not make it sound too fake, which is what I always have a problem with. So you said your using all hard hits off SSD, Ive always used just the cracks maybee i'll try that next time. Sorry for all the questions but those drums KILL!

-T.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #42 (permalink)
Slate

DAMN. This mix is absolutely stellar. The clarity, the frequency spectrum, the dynamics. the guitars, crisp vox, and the drums are SLAMMIN. 12A is probably my favorite of the BIG snares. The bottom end is huge too. I wouldn't change a thing. I'm pretty psyched to hear what you are going to do with the SLATE 2.5 pack I have coming out.

When you say you were using only my hard hits, did you mean the actual HARD velocity or the CRACK velocity? Either way. Bravo dude. You use GClip on this one?

Also, let me know if you can get any clearence to send me a 30 second mp3 clip for promo...
www.slatedigital.com
www.slateproaudio.com

Last edited by Slate : November 4th, 2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #43 (permalink)
smy1
Drink Beer, Kick Ass!

Joey, send a changed and shitty version to the label as 192kbps mp3s and then send your mix to mastering or (if you master yourself) the pressingplant.

Nobody will ever notice ... the label just wants to establish "control" and "have-a-say" ... age-old thing, cause they pay for it they surely must be right and get their way ... NOT!
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
3holeface

No room mic? Is dominion bringing up the ambience or just giving you more decay on the cymbals? Thanks for the info on this mix!
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:24 AM   #45 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

Great work there, Joey. My only real criticism is that the drums sound too robotic to me. I actually thought the drums were sequenced until you started talking about overheads. This may be one of the things that the label is on about. Other than that, I think some more room on the snare would be a good thing. It sounds like the snare would sink back into the mix if it were brickwalled during mastering, so it would be nice to have some more midrange content in there for cut. It's one of the drawbacks of the current batch of Slate samples - too much scoop.

You did a great job coaxing a tone out of the PODxt. If you don't mind answering, did you use the POD's cab sims or impulses?

It's pretty obvious that the Line 6 gear is still much more apt at release-quality tones than the competition. Never heard Revalver or Wagner sit this well in a mix.

Last edited by Ermz : November 5th, 2008 at 04:26 AM.
Old November 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #46 (permalink)
Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
Great work there, Joey. My only real criticism is that the drums sound too robotic to me. I actually thought the drums were sequenced until you started talking about overheads. This may be one of the things that the label is on about. Other than that, I think some more room on the snare would be a good thing. It sounds like the snare would sink back into the mix if it were brickwalled during mastering, so it would be nice to have some more midrange content in there for cut. It's one of the drawbacks of the current batch of Slate samples - too much scoop.

You did a great job coaxing a tone out of the PODxt. If you don't mind answering, did you use the POD's cab sims or impulses?

It's pretty obvious that the Line 6 gear is still much more apt at release-quality tones than the competition. Never heard Revalver or Wagner sit this well in a mix.
Hi Ermin. I respect your opinions and surely you are very talented, but I have to disagree with you about my snares being scooped. We even showed that my Snare11A had way more midrange content then the DevilDriver snare... way more.

Truth is, out of 36 snares on 2.0, some have tons of mids, some have a little, some have some scoop. Another snare that a lot of metal guys use, including many guys here, is the DREAMSNARE. That snare cuts very well and has a lot of 1k-2k midrange. Other snares with great mids are the NeverSnare, Snare11, Snare7, Snare2, GreenSnare, OldZepSnare, Snare1, and holy christ the ToneDef snare is ALL mids. In the upcoming 2.5 I have even more snares with focus on the mids.

From my ears Joey's snare (which is snare12A i believe) cuts great and his mix already is mastered so there will be no additional brickwalling. I am really impressed by the drums, as well as everything else.

Furthermore, and this goes to anyone, if you use a brickwall limiter during mastering, keep in mind that you are using a technique that NONE of the major mastering engineers use to make mixes louder, and brickwalling will always cause you to lose the punch of your drums. But thats a whole nother topic and we've been there before.

Back to topic, Joey let me know if you can get clearance on letting me use a snippet of that mix for promo.
www.slatedigital.com
www.slateproaudio.com
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

Different strokes, I would suppose. I just prefer to hear a bit more mid in the direct snares. Though it could well just be due to the lack of room mics in this case. Those tend to constitute the crux of 'mid-ambience' for me, along of course with your own Z4 samples. As much as I would love to agree with you (since y'know, hell, you're the guy who made them), whenever I complete a mix using your samples and then solo the direct snare track, it just sounds like a really hi-fi deal, with the Z4, OHs and Rooms adding quite a lot of the tone, whereas the direct sample is adding purely punch and snap. Though, thinking about it, that's more or less how drum sounds seem to be done these days.

An example of where I used that approach is a track I did earlier this year, which you may recall: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/285689/Mu...-MyMachine.mp3

The direct sample on the snare there is just pure crack (works good as a metaphor too), with the very middy OHs and Rooms adding the air. I hit it a bit harder with a second round of mastering (as the original MA had the level quite conservative) and that was as far as I was comfortable pushing the track without the drums sinking too far into the back.

I think essentially what I'm saying is that the samps work great for me as augmentation tools if there is some half-reasonable tone in the original drums. Sadly, I've never had much success in 100% replacement - and I've tried. As your samples caught on amongst some of the local metal acts down here after I started using them, many bands that sequence at home here now seem to use them when presenting tracks for mix.

Re: the mastering thing. Great! No problems, forget I ever said anything there. I've just had some issues in that regard with my own mixes, finding that the drum samps really want quite a bit of headroom to cut through. Sort of along the lines of what you were saying about cranking the drum faders to get them to cut.

Anywhoo, apologies for that. Don't mean to hijack your thread or anything, Joey. Great mix, once again. Technically fantastic, and really impressive considering the guitars are POD. As mentioned, the only thing that's lacking for me is some more of that natural ambiance on and variation between the drum hits, though of course that's way into subjective territory.
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
broken81
Used by Protools

Quote:

you gotta cut a lot of 4khz to make it happen
What freq you boosting?

also any eq on the pod itself?

Honestly Line 6 should give you a endorsement with these type of tones!
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #49 (permalink)
eternally_gutted

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken81 View Post
What freq you boosting?

also any eq on the pod itself?

Honestly Line 6 should give you a endorsement with these type of tones!

Joey, id give to you 10000 points if you share those two presets.
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
smy1
Drink Beer, Kick Ass!

Better give him 1000$ ...