Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap > Practice Room
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Practice Room Promote your work, ask for feedback, offer mixing practice.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 29th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
HOFX

Attempt to match NOFX mix

So, I tried to match a commercial mix, first getting the guitar tone, selecting drum kit pieces that sounded the same in tone, then getting the bass balance, and bringing it all up.

The song is NOFX's Stoke Extinguisher

Commercial Mix.

My attempt.

What do you think? I would really appreciate some feedback, and maybe some pointers on where to improve.

Session notes:
- S-Gear 2 used for guitars, Jackal amp with stock redwirez IRs
- Bass signal split up into 3 signals - hi pass DI with TSE BOD, low pass DI with 2 instances of ReaComp doing 2:1 compression at 3 dB reduction each, full EQ DI with low bass EQ boost
- Drums are SSD4 Deluxe samples
- Drums and Bass are bussed through FG-Grey
- VCC API on drum channels
- VCC Neve on bass and guitars
- 2 buss is VCC Mix Buss on API, FG-Red (CLA Rock Drive preset, with 1-2 dB GR), VTM. I mixed into this. FG-X set up to get -10 dB RMS when mixing down.

What I learnt in the process:
- Guitars panned 60 % left and right (I normally go 100 % L/R)
- Had JS:StereoWidener on the guitar buss, and took out some of the middle channel (I'm aware this impacts the panning). This, in conjunction with guitars with higher presence, really reduced the mid range static drone I struggle with when using IRs.
- Guitars EQd with a 6dB wide boost around 300 Hz. I normally scoop this stuff out - this could also be symptomatic of the IRs I selected.
- Selected IRs that are more "fizzy" than I normally select. I usually go for more rounded IRs (more low end, less mid).
- Lots of presence boosts on everything. Room and Overhead drum channels massive presence boost, then another presence boost on the main drum buss
- Bass was a lot easier than usual. Maybe having the guitars not so wide didn't leave it so exposed?
- I resisted trying to EQ out all the fizz nodes on the guitar. Took the two obvious ones but no more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
RiF

Pretty darn close!
The guitars sound pretty different, but I still like the sound of yours better.
The NOFX bass is a little lower in level and more even also. The sound seems to be very similar.
The drums are spot on! Indistinguishable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old November 29th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
slo77y

if you really wanna do that... match-EQ the gutiar tone (its playing alone in the intro, good for you) and use match-EQ to find differences in the total frequency curve of your mix... do NOT match EQ your mix, that wont work^^ just look for obvious differences like 2 or more db differences in certain areas... if you are <1db in the whole frequency range, you should be pretty close.. only works if the same notes are played in the same tempo, of course
Old December 3rd, 2013, 04:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
HOFX

Thanks for the feedback guys, it has been helpful, appreciate it.

I downloaded Voxengo's Curve EQ and used the match EQ function, not to use it, but to reveal the EQ differences - I know, cardinal sin, mixing with eyes, not ears...

What I found is that the guitars needed a big scoop and more presence boost, and also a specific cut at 1 kHz.

The overall mix needed a bump at 300 Hz, which I added on the bass track and the guitar buss.

What do you think? I think it's a lot closer, and has definitely been a good learning experience.

My attempt - Take 2