ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA > ProgPower USA Lounge
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #601 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
ProgPower Hug-slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippee38 View Post
Calvin & Hobbes is great stuff, but I prefer The Far Side. Some of that stuff is so twistedly funny.

I used to get the Far Side desk callendars. I still have one page saved "The Insurance Salesman of the Opera."
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

Co-sponsor of Tyr for PP XI and While Heaven Wept for PPXII
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #602 (permalink)
Ruthven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbWeaver View Post
"The Insurance Salesman of the Opera."

I've never seen that one, but I love it anyway. The title alone tells the story. You have to think (slightly) to get it, but then it becomes hysterical.
Old June 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #603 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
ProgPower Hug-slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthven View Post
I've never seen that one, but I love it anyway. The title alone tells the story. You have to think (slightly) to get it, but then it becomes hysterical.

Given that, at the time, I was a HUGE Phantom of the Opera fan, I found it side-splittingly hilarious.

I tried to see if I could find it online to share, but no luck. And I'm not sure what I did with that particular page, either.
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #604 (permalink)
Yippee38
Living the dream!

As a flight instructor, this quickly became my favorite:

"Step out of line
And I'll teach you how to fly
Then away we'll go"

Old June 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #605 (permalink)
Yippee38
Living the dream!

As a flight instructor, this quickly became my favorite:

"Step out of line
Then away we'll go"

Old June 10th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #606 (permalink)
ratanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimek View Post
I'm working my way through "When Gravity Fails" by George Alec Effinger - cyberpunk sci-fi in an Arabic setting. It's a bit weird, but I find it interesting that he nails some Arabic/Muslim cultural characteristics, like how it's considered terribly rude just to say "no" to someone; instead you have to take the roundabout route, saying "I wish I could help you" and variations on that.

I love that book! Thumbs up.

Currently (re-)reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Old June 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #607 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
ProgPower Hug-slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratanda View Post
Currently (re-)reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

That is a great book!

Now reading: Encyclopedia of Counseling, 3rd edition.

Gotta pass the NCE's and the COMPS.

Old June 15th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #608 (permalink)
Rakosh

An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe (Advance Readers Copy)

From the cover:

Lovecraft mets Blade Runner. This is a stand-alone supernatural horror novel with a 30s noir atmosphere. Gene Wolfe can write in whatever genre he wants--and always with superb style and profound depth. Now following his World Fantasy Award winner, Soldier of Sidon, and his stunning Pirate Freedom, Wolfe turns to the tradition of H.P. Lovecraft and the weird science tale of supernatural horror.

Set a hundred years in the future, An Evil Guest is a story of an actress who becomes the lover of both a mysterious sorcerer and private detective, and an even more mysterious and powerful rich man, who has been to the human colony on an alien planet and learned strange things there. Her loyalties are divided--perhaps she loves them both. The detective helps her to release her inner beauty and become a star overnight. And the rich man is the benefactor of a play she stars in. But something is very wrong. Money can be an evil guest, but there are other evils. As Lovecraft said, "That is not dead which can eternal lie."

Sounds promising...we'll see if it holds up to the hype.
------Proud Co-Sponsor of STRIDE for PPUSA VI-------

Old June 15th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #609 (permalink)
Ruthven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakosh View Post
An Evil Guest - Gene Wolfe (Advance Readers Copy)

Lovecraft mets Blade Runner. This is a stand-alone supernatural horror novel with a 30s noir atmosphere.
There's another book that I can safely say that I'll want to read.
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #610 (permalink)
Magius

Deadhouse Gates -Steven Erikson
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:35 PM   #611 (permalink)
Cheiron

NR: R. Scott Bakker - The Darkness that Comes Before
Old June 21st, 2008, 04:06 PM   #612 (permalink)
LunaTEKKE
Madness Reigns

Quote:
Calvin & Hobbes is great stuff, but I prefer The Far Side. Some of that stuff is so twistedly funny.
Love them both! I also get a big kick out of Dilbert and “Get Fuzzy”.

Favorite “Far Side” (that I can remember right now):

Guy shows up to deliver a pizza to a group of people in hell. The box is labeled, “Jerry’s Pizza – We Deliver Anywhere”. The devil tells the group, “First of all, this is going straight back. And I’ll just have a little chat with whoever placed the order.”

Currently Reading:

Rick Steves – Europe Through the Back Door 2008

Janet Evanovich – Plum Lucky (a little brain candy…)

"There is a peculiar notion that elegant plumage and fine feathers are not proper for the man...when actually that is the way things are in most species.”
-- “Margaret Meade”, Hair

“Part of me is now part of you
My Legacy is how I live on...”

In memory of Mike Baker
Old June 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #613 (permalink)
Yippee38
Living the dream!

From Bear's recommendation, I'm rereading The Crystal Shard.

"Step out of line
Then away we'll go"

Old June 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #614 (permalink)
thedelicateflower
ageless

...just started reading 'the historian' by elizabeth kostova...
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #615 (permalink)
Rakosh

ok, had to take a break from the Gene Wolfe...too much '30s noir, not enough Lovecraft or Blade Runner as promised. It's reading more like an episode of the old radio show The Shadow. Not bad, but not what I was expecting or wanting at the moment.

Instead, I've picked up The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi and have blazed through half the book in 2 sittings. It's a non-fiction account of the hunt for a Jack the Ripper-like serial killer in Italy in the mid 1980s. Thomas Harris based much of Hannibal on the case, and Preston & Spezi even got caught up into the investigation at one point. Fascinating so far...

------Proud Co-Sponsor of STRIDE for PPUSA VI-------

Old June 25th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #616 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

I finished The Metatemporal Detective by Michael Moorcock. It was very-good-to-great, although, as often happens, MM's politics don't agree with me sometimes.

Now starting: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis (of course). There is an amazing irony in that progression. (I recently saw the movie and am re-reading the book....might just re-read the whole series since it's been many years.)
WREKage, 11:59pm Fri nights
http://www.wrekage.org 91.1 FM Atlanta -- Atlanta radio's home of metal for nearly 30 years, also streamed live and archived for a week!
WINNER: Atlanta's Best Non-Commercial Radio Show, 2012
Old June 26th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #617 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

I'm very slowly working my way through the Bonehunters, and starting to wonder why I bother, because trying to keep track of everything that's going on in one large book, let alone keep it in perspective with any story arcs coming from previous books, is nigh impossible, at least with the hoppy skippy way that Erikson writes.
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #618 (permalink)
Cheiron

I finished King's The Dark Half. Quite a good book, and I've changed my mind on Stephen King. Not only is he a good storyteller but he's also a good writer. He gets into characters and makes them believable on a level that eludes most writers, and he's one of the few writers who can write good dialog.
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #619 (permalink)
spag
I am a leaf on the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiron View Post
He gets into characters and makes them believable on a level that eludes most writers, and he's one of the few writers who can write good dialog.
That's always been my favorite thing about him. Even if the story sucks, and there have been some serious turds over the years, his character development puts most to shame. It's one of those things that hits me sometimes when reading his books, smacks me upside the head and I realize that I'll never be the kind of writer I wish I could be.
Old June 29th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #620 (permalink)
spag
I am a leaf on the wind

Still trudging through Treason by Orson Scott Card. Thankfully it's almost over. I really think I'm done with him. Every now and then, someone will rave about one of his books I haven't read, and I'll give it a try. I et burned every time. This one isn't painful like some. I am going to finish it, but I don't know if I would recommend it unless you like his freaky shit.
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:52 AM   #621 (permalink)
DarkOne
Black Belt in Sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spag View Post
Still trudging through Treason by Orson Scott Card. Thankfully it's almost over. I really think I'm done with him. Every now and then, someone will rave about one of his books I haven't read, and I'll give it a try. I et burned every time. This one isn't painful like some. I am going to finish it, but I don't know if I would recommend it unless you like his freaky shit.
I got where you are a book or two ago. I used to really like Card (Ender, early Alvin Maker), but his books got worse and worse in terms of plot, dialogue, characterizations, and preachiness. I picked up Treason in the library, looked at it, and just said 'nah'.

Steve in Philly
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #622 (permalink)
Magius

Quote:
From Bear's recommendation, I'm rereading The Crystal Shard.

Not a bad book, but it pales in comparison with what comes later.
Old June 30th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #623 (permalink)
Yippee38
Living the dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magius View Post
Not a bad book, but it pales in comparison with what comes later.
Well, the point is to read the whole Dark Elf series starting at the beginning. I've read the Icewind Dale trilogy a long time ago. I also read the prequel. So I'm going to reread all those and go on from there. I'm reading Streams of Silver right now. I have to pick up Halfling's Gem again as I cannot find it. Since I can't remember these books - it's been that long - I don't even know if I ever read it in the first place.

"Step out of line
Then away we'll go"

Old June 30th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #624 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

"Dark Elf" = Drizzt, no?

I'll bite, since I hear a lot about these....where's a good place to start the series?

I'll need something dark and evil after finishing Narnia.
WREKage, 11:59pm Fri nights
http://www.wrekage.org 91.1 FM Atlanta -- Atlanta radio's home of metal for nearly 30 years, also streamed live and archived for a week!
WINNER: Atlanta's Best Non-Commercial Radio Show, 2012
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM   #625 (permalink)
Yippee38
Living the dream!

Well you could do what I'm doing, but I don't think it would help if you're looking for dark. It's pretty run of the mill D&D fiction IMO. Then again, I haven't read that later stuff, only the first two trilogies and then the next book (Legacy).

Have you read the two Instrumentalities of the Night books by Glen Cook? They're challenging, but great IMO.

"Step out of line
Then away we'll go"