ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA > ProgPower USA Lounge
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 22nd, 2011, 01:34 AM   #1851 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

Now reading Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber...just started, shaping up to be really good.
I must say it's a bit daunting to start reading a future history where all of humanity, every last interstellar colony plus Earth itself, has been wiped out to a man. (!)
WREKage, 11:59pm Fri nights
http://www.wrekage.org 91.1 FM Atlanta -- Atlanta radio's home of metal for nearly 30 years, also streamed live and archived for a week!
WINNER: Atlanta's Best Non-Commercial Radio Show, 2012
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1852 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

I picked up Hunger Games for the plane ride to New Orleans last week. It's good - good enough that I spent a couple of days in NO fruitlessly looking for this second book but had to wait til I got home to hit the bookstore - but it's a teenager's version of The Running Man/The Long Walk, and I don't find the protagonist especially likable, plus she's conveniently adept in all the "right" skills. The people around her are a lot more interesting, and how they're handling a manipulative authoritarian government that has *no* problem laying the smack down on people who don't play the party line.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:18 AM   #1853 (permalink)
Locust0311
Shopping Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellaz View Post
Now reading Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber...just started, shaping up to be really good.
I must say it's a bit daunting to start reading a future history where all of humanity, every last interstellar colony plus Earth itself, has been wiped out to a man. (!)
I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. I've picked up the series in hardcover as its appeared on the discount racks but haven't started it yet. I'm about to finish Cussler's "Deep Six" then I'm returning to the second part of "Team of Rivals". After that, don't know.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1854 (permalink)
ashaman7122
Crazy on a ship of fools

Recently finished - Off Season by Jack Ketchum
Currently - Bullets Of Rain by David J. Schow, about a widowed recluse who may or may not be going insane while huddled in his house over the course of a hurricane-soaked weekend.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:19 PM   #1855 (permalink)
Akumu
Look at the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimek View Post

I picked up Hunger Games for the plane ride to New Orleans last week. It's good - good enough that I spent a couple of days in NO fruitlessly looking for this second book but had to wait til I got home to hit the bookstore - but it's a teenager's version of The Running Man/The Long Walk, and I don't find the protagonist especially likable, plus she's conveniently adept in all the "right" skills. The people around her are a lot more interesting, and how they're handling a manipulative authoritarian government that has *no* problem laying the smack down on people who don't play the party line.
I read the first book recently and only thought it was okay, but the second one sounds much more interesting - I'm just hesitant to read it because I heard that Mockingjay took a huge nosedive in quality.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM   #1856 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Old May 22nd, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1857 (permalink)
Bamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
This one keeps coming up as a "recommended for me" selection on my Kindle, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Is it worth obtaining?

Proud co-sponsor of Haken, Kingcrow, Myrath and Voodoo Circle
Old May 22nd, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1858 (permalink)
Dogs Playing Poker
Classy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellaz View Post
Finished Tanya Huff's Blood Debt and Blood Bank -- really excellent, they're fast reads. She doesn't get anywhere near enough credit in the vampire/horror world for this series.
Especially since she largely created vampire-based urban fantasy and frankly did it better than most. I like how Henry doesn't particularly whine, nor does he act like a "bad boy." And when he does show angst, it's over stuff that is relateable (like how Huff's vampires are by nature solitary).

I wish more contemporary vampires had a similar balance.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:29 PM   #1859 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Playing Poker View Post
I wish more contemporary vampires had a similar balance.
And I wish they'd get that shit off my SF/F shelves and move it over to smut where it belongs!
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1860 (permalink)
guardian26
Mike the Cop

Thanks to HBO, just finished Game of Thrones and now I'm on to Clash of Kings.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:21 AM   #1861 (permalink)
Creeps

R.A. Salvatore's "the Bear".

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM   #1862 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan View Post
This one keeps coming up as a "recommended for me" selection on my Kindle, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Is it worth obtaining?

Steve Berry is one of my favorite adventure/thriller writers. TJK is his 10th book and 7th with Cotton Malone as the main character.

If you haven't already, I would suggest going back and starting with "The Templar Legacy" and working your way forward if you enjoy it.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:02 PM   #1863 (permalink)
Bamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
Steve Berry is one of my favorite adventure/thriller writers. TJK is his 10th book and 7th with Cotton Malone as the main character.

If you haven't already, I would suggest going back and starting with "The Templar Legacy" and working your way forward if you enjoy it.
Thanks!

Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:18 PM   #1864 (permalink)
TheLongshot

Finished off Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" over the weekend. Overall, a very satisfying read with a couple of twists that I probably should have seen coming and enough stuff to build on a sequel.

I'll also be finishing off Orson Scott Card's "The Memory Of Earth" soon.

Last edited by TheLongshot : May 24th, 2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM   #1865 (permalink)
yardleybates
Chick Wrangler

Just finished the latest in the Noble Dead series. It was slow compared to the rest but had a fantastic finish!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ECFGI/ref=pd...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046ECFGI/ref=pd...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1866 (permalink)
Dogs Playing Poker
Classy!

Quote:
And I wish they'd get that shit off my SF/F shelves and move it over to smut where it belongs!
Tanya Huff's vampire books are not smut, or even particularly "romantic." They are vampire books before the genre got overrun with that stuff. "The good old days."
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #1867 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs Playing Poker View Post
Tanya Huff's vampire books are not smut, or even particularly "romantic." They are vampire books before the genre got overrun with that stuff. "The good old days."
I didn't mean Tanya Huff particularly, just the entire genre generally speaking, which IS mostly smut with a sloppy coat of "makin' it up as I go" fantasy.
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #1868 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust0311 View Post
I'll be interested to hear what you think of this. I've picked up the series in hardcover as its appeared on the discount racks but haven't started it yet.
I'm about a fifth of the way into the first book and it's starting to shape up nicely. The somewhat daunting challenge of overturning the heavily-engrained planet-wide religion on Safehold should make these pretty enjoyable.
http://www.wrekage.org 91.1 FM Atlanta -- Atlanta radio's home of metal for nearly 30 years, also streamed live and archived for a week!
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #1869 (permalink)
TheLongshot

Quote:
I didn't mean Tanya Huff particularly, just the entire genre generally speaking, which IS mostly smut with a sloppy coat of "makin' it up as I go" fantasy.
Sounds like Carol Nelson Douglas' Delilah Street books. I got the first as a freebie and it had promise, so I picked up the second one, Brimstone Kiss. Boy, that was a mistake. The plot just went nowhere and I felt like I was wasting my time.
Old May 25th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1870 (permalink)
Akumu
Look at the tree.

Just picked up Mistborn - looking forward to reading it!
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1871 (permalink)
Dogs Playing Poker
Classy!

Quote:
Yeah, that stuff is like the third-tier hair metal of vampire fiction.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1872 (permalink)
modernwizardry
brewing some doom stew

Ugh...my company is putting us through "accountability training" so I have to read "Change the Culture, Change the Game." lame.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1873 (permalink)
Bamafan

An Autumn War by Daniel Abraham. It's part of a 4 part epic fantasy series that is vaguely Asian in flavor. The series has been very enjoyable so far. Nota bene: the series does NOT go Summer, Autumn, Winter then Spring as one would think, knowing that Summer starts the cycle. The actual order is Summer, Winter, Autumn, Spring.

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #1874 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

About halfway through Off Armageddon Reef, really enjoying it.

I think I'll end up liking Weber's Honor Harrington series a bit more, but that's mostly because I like well-executed spaceborn SF. I have some friends who preferred these books instead (Safehold series) and they were more into planet-bound, medieval settings than 'hard' SF.
Old May 30th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #1875 (permalink)
Yippee38
Living the dream!

I set down House of Chains because I got a new book. My parent's got me an Amazon gift certificate for my B-day, so I bought a good condition, used copy of Glen Cook's Red Iron Nights. It's a Garrett P.I. novel that's been out of print for a while. It's the one I'm missing in that series. New copies are listed for over $100 on e-bay. I wasn't going to buy it, but with the gift cert, I got a nice used copy for $40. It's probably not worth it, but I love that series, and it wasn't like I was spending my money, so it was worth it to me. I'm reading that now.

"Step out of line
And I'll teach you how to fly
Then away we'll go"