ProgPower USA  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Festivals > ProgPower USA > ProgPower USA Lounge
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:54 AM   #2101 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Gaines View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Stran...6608308&sr=1-1
I'm officially giving up on this one, and I almost never walk away from a book. I'm sure there's a good story somewhere in there, but getting there is just too tedious.

I stuck it out for the whole book, but I have no idea why it got the accolades that it did. Tedious is an excellent word for it.
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:11 PM   #2102 (permalink)
Akumu
Look at the tree.

I loved it, but it's definitely not for everyone. The atmosphere and language was really what did it for me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 22nd, 2011, 12:21 PM   #2103 (permalink)
Magius

A Dance With Dragons.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM   #2104 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

Finished David Weber's A Mighty Fortress, so next up is......

...while, ironically, I await some Amazon purchases to arrive.
WREKage, 11:59pm Fri nights
http://www.wrekage.org 91.1 FM Atlanta -- Atlanta radio's home of metal for nearly 30 years, also streamed live and archived for a week!
WINNER: Atlanta's Best Non-Commercial Radio Show, 2012
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM   #2105 (permalink)
spag
I am a leaf on the wind

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Stran...6608308&sr=1-1
I'm officially giving up on this one, and I almost never walk away from a book. I'm sure there's a good story somewhere in there, but getting there is just too tedious.
You an me both dude. I tried really hard to get into it. I might have made it 100 pages in, but I could do no more.

I get that it's an amazingly detailed book, and the complexity must be what earned it a Hugo, because it's painful to read.

Finishing up non-fiction related crap, but...next up, World War Z by Max Brooks.
Old September 26th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2106 (permalink)
TheLongshot

Finished up this:

To be honest, it was a mixed bag. It was welcome to have a heroine still trying to figure herself out, but I'd expect someone who went through the trauma she did to have a much tougher time accepting the person who was responsible for that trauma. Also, some aspects of the story were confusing and I didn't always understand what was going on.
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #2107 (permalink)
DuchessOfDork

I finished The Help and watched the movie. It wasn't as racist as people were making it our to be; some people just got their panties in a bunch over what ended up being a pretty good story.
"I'LL PUNCH OUT ALL YOUR BLOOD!!"
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #2108 (permalink)
Justin G

News and reveiws, www.hardrockhaven.net

Lego meets metal at www.facebook.com/bricksofthebeast
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2109 (permalink)
Justin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by spag View Post
You an me both dude. I tried really hard to get into it. I might have made it 100 pages in, but I could do no more.

I get that it's an amazingly detailed book, and the complexity must be what earned it a Hugo, because it's painful to read.

Finishing up non-fiction related crap, but...next up, World War Z by Max Brooks.
WWZ is one of my favorite books EVER.

Old September 29th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #2110 (permalink)
Justin G

Old September 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #2111 (permalink)
Harvester
The Promoter

Old September 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #2112 (permalink)
mėtålspėd
Umlauts ist Krieg

Is it wrong that I have not read a book (recreationally) since high school?

Old September 29th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #2113 (permalink)
Cheiron

I think you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment.
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #2114 (permalink)
Justin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mėtålspėd View Post
Is it wrong that I have not read a book (recreationally) since high school?
YES. At minimum you ought to read Mean Deviation, Jeff Wagner's book about progressive metal.

Old September 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #2115 (permalink)
TheLongshot

Quote:
YES. At minimum you ought to read Mean Deviation, Jeff Wagner's book about progressive metal.
+1
Old September 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #2116 (permalink)
Bamafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiron View Post
I think you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment.
Personally speaking, I agree with Cheiron 100%. From a professional point of view, readers have a lower incidence of dementia, memory issues, and general decline in cognitive function as they age.

Proud co-sponsor of Haken, Kingcrow, Myrath and Voodoo Circle
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2117 (permalink)
Justin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamafan View Post
Personally speaking, I agree with Cheiron 100%. From a professional point of view, readers have a lower incidence of dementia, memory issues, and general decline in cognitive function as they age.
One out of one metal-loving doctors agree!

Old September 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #2118 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
BECAUSE FALCONER

Currently reading Catch-22. I'm not nearly as amused, or interested in what is going on in this book as I thought I'd be. :/
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

BECAUSE FALCONER
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #2119 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbWeaver View Post
Currently reading Catch-22. I'm not nearly as amused, or interested in what is going on in this book as I thought I'd be. :/
Really? I had to read it in high school, and I didn't think much of it then, but when I read it ten years later with a lot more experience (and cynicism) under my belt, I thought it was hysterical.

I've been rereading the first three Diana Gabaldon Outlander books. I had started rereading the first one during the hurricane power outage, and the momentum just kept going.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #2120 (permalink)
Cheiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimek View Post
I've been rereading the first three Diana Gabaldon Outlander books. I had started rereading the first one during the hurricane power outage, and the momentum just kept going.
They are fun and addicting. Somehow I stopped after the 3rd. Got distracted with something else I suppose.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #2121 (permalink)
OrbWeaver
BECAUSE FALCONER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimek View Post
Really? I had to read it in high school, and I didn't think much of it then, but when I read it ten years later with a lot more experience (and cynicism) under my belt, I thought it was hysterical.
I find the protagonist, Yossarian, to be infinitely annoying.

Actually, thus far all of the characters annoy me.
"Spider venom comes in many forms. It can often take a long while to discover the full effects of a bite. Naturalists have pondered this for years: there are spiders whose bite can cause the place bitten to rot and die, sometimes more than a year after it was bitten. As to why spiders do this, the answer is simple. It's because spiders think this is funny, and they don't want you ever to forget them."
-Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

BECAUSE FALCONER
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #2122 (permalink)
jaimek
incorrigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheiron View Post
They are fun and addicting. Somehow I stopped after the 3rd. Got distracted with something else I suppose.
Honestly, you're not missing much after the third, although the fourth is worth it just to see two particular characters meet for the first time, but at that point the story gets heavily tangled in the runup to the American Revolution and so dragged out, not to mention taking away a lot of the focus from Jamie and Claire (I like John Grey, but I don't need half a book on him, let alone Brianna and Roger), so it gets pretty tedious.
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #2123 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

Awaiting some arrivals in the mail from Amazon*, and the timing should work out well since I'm almost finished with the Percy Jackson books:

--Then I can return the box-set to my friend's kid, who kindly let me borrow them.

Up after them is probably Eric Flint's 1635: The Eastern Front or Jacqueline Carey's Naamah's Curse.

----
* not sure if the Amazons are on the Titans' side, or the Olympians'.
http://www.wrekage.org 91.1 FM Atlanta -- Atlanta radio's home of metal for nearly 30 years, also streamed live and archived for a week!
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #2124 (permalink)
Entrerie

For anyone interested, looks like they just announced R.A. Salvatore for Dragon*Con 2012. Now if they can get Martin as well that would be epic.

Also the new Legend of Drizzt comic book is pretty cool, don't want to spoil anything but they found a way to make Pwent even more bad ass.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM   #2125 (permalink)
Pellaz
Tigron of Immanion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrerie View Post
Now if they can get Martin as well that would be epic.
Sadly, I'm told his absence is no accident. He bears a grudge against D*C (loong story involving WorldCon and scheduling) and apparently will not attend. You'll also note a depressing lack of GoT actor guests as well.

Oh, well, their loss. Actors make BANK at D*C; just ask Shatner or Nimoy.